Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 18, 2024, 03:19:29 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  The Dead Chicago July 3,4,5 2015 50th Anniversary
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: The Dead Chicago July 3,4,5 2015 50th Anniversary  (Read 68018 times)
Hot Sugar
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

Camp Run a Muck

URL icon « Reply #60 on: May 15, 2015, 10:39:18 AM »

Anyone else listen to the Dear Jerry stream last night? I was a bit underwhelmed by the performances but I guess that is to be expected when each band only gets 1 or 2 songs. And cutting Greensky and Railroad Earth because of time constraints really sucked! I feel badly for both bands. Greensky was scheduled to play Eyes and RRE was going to play Terrapin. 

Didn't get the chance to listen. They seriously cut Greensky and RRE? That sucks. That show sounded great, now I'm glad I didn't make it as GSBG and RRE are two of the reasons I wanted to be there.

Now Playing icon Listening to: B.B. King
IP address Logged

"That spells clever not cleaver."
mountainjam
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #61 on: May 15, 2015, 11:06:25 AM »

Yeah Sugar, they both got axed. They were scheduled to play at the end of the second set but they were running behind on time so they decided to cut GSBG and RRE so that all of the bands in the third set could play. WSP was scheduled to play two songs but they got reduced down to one. Obviously the scheduling didn't work out too great for the organizers.

Also kind of sad was Phil played first and then split after his songs. He was the only one of the "Core Four" to not stick around and play with others or join in the Ripple encore. Based on what I saw/heard last night it's sad but it kind of confirmed my decision to not do any of the Fare Thee Well shows this summer. Word is that Phil had very little interest in playing with the others and it was pretty much confirmed last night. I'm happy seeing lots of other GD music this year (Billy & The Kids, JRAD, DSO) at intimate venues for $25 and using my vacation time to head to Oregon instead for Northwest String Summit and Phish (and Telluride Bluegrass of course too).

Now Playing icon Listening to: Soulive 7/8/2006
IP address Logged
Hot Sugar
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

Camp Run a Muck

URL icon « Reply #62 on: May 15, 2015, 12:25:14 PM »

Yeah Sugar, they both got axed. They were scheduled to play at the end of the second set but they were running behind on time so they decided to cut GSBG and RRE so that all of the bands in the third set could play. WSP was scheduled to play two songs but they got reduced down to one. Obviously the scheduling didn't work out too great for the organizers.

Also kind of sad was Phil played first and then split after his songs. He was the only one of the "Core Four" to not stick around and play with others or join in the Ripple encore. Based on what I saw/heard last night it's sad but it kind of confirmed my decision to not do any of the Fare Thee Well shows this summer. Word is that Phil had very little interest in playing with the others and it was pretty much confirmed last night. I'm happy seeing lots of other GD music this year (Billy & The Kids, JRAD, DSO) at intimate venues for $25 and using my vacation time to head to Oregon instead for Northwest String Summit and Phish (and Telluride Bluegrass of course too).

Have a blast at String Summit this year. I will be unable to attend. It was hard enough to get time off for Telluride. I think I need to start looking for a new job that understands festivals.
IP address Logged

fivetornadoes
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #63 on: May 18, 2015, 06:17:55 PM »

wow i didnt know that about greensky getting cut. they will survive. but it sucks...

as far as phil goes, he can do whatever he wants. all i know is he will be the bass player in the band on july 4&5. that's all i care about for now  Wink

phil does still rule. there's no denying it. PLQ A++
IP address Logged
IMHBTR
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #64 on: May 18, 2015, 07:08:56 PM »

MJ- Phil  has played many shows with the other members at Terrapin and elsewhere. He is about
To play 5 shows with the other 3. I think you are reading a little too much into it. I've always been amused at Heads "supposed"inside knowledge. DH rumors are rarely true. He left early, so what. He's 70 something years old and it was a 4 plus hour show. Maybe he decided not to stay up until 2 in the morning. I've yet to read anything and there are 4000 articles about the 50 th year from multiple outlets about anything and everything Dead. Relix or Jambase would have bernall over that story were it true.
Not a big fan of "word has it"  with no facts.

i guess when you book multiple jam acts and give bands free reign on stage and you are taping for
Video, promoters are bound to make mistakes. I love GSBG and RRE but I bet they didn't lose any sleep over it. I'm sure there was some kind of time constraints playing at Jerriweathet. probably should have started show at 5. Same thing happened at The tributes for Skynyrd and Greg Allman. Both done by Don Was and both had crossover acts of which a few were at Dear Jerry.

Enjoy the Summit.

Now Playing icon Listening to: JG-Palm Sunday
IP address Logged
Skubes
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #65 on: May 18, 2015, 08:19:20 PM »

Both bands have posted very gracious, thoughtful statements regarding the regretful choice to cut them.  I think it affected them very much.  And for me anyway, that's pretty uncool.   Frown
IP address Logged
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #66 on: May 18, 2015, 10:05:48 PM »

Both bands have posted very gracious, thoughtful statements regarding the regretful choice to cut them.  I think it affected them very much.  And for me anyway, that's pretty uncool.   Frown

Agreed, and yes, both bands were heartbroken that evening over being cut.

Auntie Hope  :festivarian2 :green
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
IMHBTR
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #67 on: May 19, 2015, 07:11:33 AM »

After further review, I would say it was a huge disappointment
Based on their comments. Both bands were deeply influenced
By Jerry, etc and I should not pretend to know  their disappointment.
Fortunately, the road goes on and there are many more shows with adoring
Fans waiting to listen.

This tune and video always puts me in a good mood. Hope
It does the same for all you threaders.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KVfX1qiZWEs

Now Playing icon Listening to: GSBG-Time/Breathe Reprise
IP address Logged
IMHBTR
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #68 on: May 22, 2015, 12:31:57 PM »

Last night at Delfest, GSBG opened with Eyes of the World, the song they were scheduled to play at Dear Jerry.
I'm not there but some other TBFers I know were there and said it was fantastic.

Now Playing icon Listening to: DEW-5/8 77 Just Damn!!
IP address Logged
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #69 on: May 22, 2015, 06:47:19 PM »

Last night at Delfest, GSBG opened with Eyes of the World, the song they were scheduled to play at Dear Jerry.
I'm not there but some other TBFers I know were there and said it was fantastic.

"Wake up to find...."
Thanks for the ear candy!  :)

Auntie Hope  :festivarian2 :green
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
fivetornadoes
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #70 on: May 27, 2015, 10:28:28 AM »

Awesome selection and now I'm even a little more bummed this won't be on the pending DVD from this Dear Jerry show.

GSBG gotta do this in Telluride in June. No excuses!
IP address Logged
420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

shake it, shake it, Sugaree

URL icon « Reply #71 on: May 27, 2015, 10:53:27 AM »

Vince Gill, me, and musicians from the Bluegrass Alliance band were roommates at Bickel's place in the mid-1970s. I was the soundman, taper, and video tech living in this musician's boarding house. There were huge, cavernous rooms on the first floor, this is where the jamming sessions happened; the second floor had a room with sound equipment and a stereo, this is where we made tapes and experimented with recordings; the basement had a musical instrument repair shop setup, this is where Sparky and Bickel repaired instruments; our bedrooms were on the third floor, Bickel had the master bedroom on the second floor.

Dec 2008, L - R: Tony Rice, Curtis Burch, Dan Crary, J D Crowe, John Cowan, Sam Bush

Well, back in Dec 2008, when all of us (except Vince Gill, he hooked up in Nashville) reunited after thirty years for a musical rendezvous at Harry Bickel's place in Louisville, I asked Tony and Sam if they ever played with the GD. Sam said no, he never played with them. Tony said he played with Jerry and Dawg on The Pizza Tapes.

"When Rice bursts out of a chorus with a startling run in the middle of Mississippi John Hurt's "Louis Collins," you can hear all three musicians [Grisman, Garcia, and Rice] stop and catch their breath." — Seth Mnookin, writing about The Pizza Tapes, on Salon dot com, April 2000

Dawg • Tony • Jer

It doesn't matter to me that I appear to be the only lurker who's noticed that Sammy finally got to jam out with some of the GD. Take a good, long look at the beautiful Dear-Jerry-Concert photos taken by Erik Kabik. Sammy is shown in multiple photos playing with Bobby, Billy, Dawg, etc, and Jorma was there too. Why would I say something about this? You know, I'm just a village idiot.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 11:21:21 AM by 420Sugaree » IP address Logged

Turn on your Lovelight... and leave it ON!
swander99
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #72 on: May 27, 2015, 04:37:03 PM »

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thanks for sharing!  Cheers
IP address Logged

HEEN!
IMHBTR
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #73 on: May 28, 2015, 05:09:46 PM »

Good story 420 and interesting pick-up on the Dear Jerry first time Sam Bush/GD collaboration. Hard to believe that their paths never crossed considering Jerry's love of bluegrass.

Here's pretty good sounding vid of the Eyes by GSBG. You may getcactadcduzzy the first
Couple of minutes but sound is good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RS6qaEZy1QE

Now Playing icon Listening to: 5/28/77-Hartford
IP address Logged
Hot Sugar
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

Camp Run a Muck

URL icon « Reply #74 on: May 29, 2015, 12:24:42 AM »

Good story 420 and interesting pick-up on the Dear Jerry first time Sam Bush/GD collaboration. Hard to believe that their paths never crossed considering Jerry's love of bluegrass.

I believe they crossed, they just never played together. New Grass Revival's final performance together was New Year's Ever 1989 opening for The Grateful Dead.
IP address Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC