Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 07, 2024, 08:44:10 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  The Dead Chicago July 3,4,5 2015 50th Anniversary
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: The Dead Chicago July 3,4,5 2015 50th Anniversary  (Read 66764 times)
fivetornadoes
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « on: January 16, 2015, 08:11:47 AM »

Rumours are swirling around...

Last time I was in Chicago was for the Terrapin Station reunion shows at Alpine Valley in um 2002. Wave

Here's a snippet I gathered from the WWW and I'm wondering if any Festivarians are going to these shows. I pretty much have to be there, with so many reasons why I can't say no...

The core four members of Grateful Dead (Lesh, Weir, Kreutzman & Hart) will perform with Trey Anastasio on lead guitar and Bruce Hornsby on keyboards. This reunion will take place over three days, July 3- 5, at Chicago’s Soldier Field.
IP address Logged
mountainjam
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 01:51:41 PM »

I'll be there! My first concert ever was The Other Ones (Bob, Phil, Mickey, Hornsby, Kimock, Karan, Molo & Ellis) Alpine Valley 1998.

Can't miss this one, see you there  Cheers
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 01:58:09 PM by mountainjam » IP address Logged
ebb01
Small Member

Festivation rating 20

URL icon « Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 05:10:27 PM »

Here ya' go kids:

Dead50

IP address Logged
fivetornadoes
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 08:38:55 PM »

they are advertising this as the only time this will happen(reunion for the 50th)

even if they are lying i will still be in chicago. woot

mountainjam..are you going to this years TBF?

http://www.dead50.net
IP address Logged
Hot Sugar
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

Camp Run a Muck

URL icon « Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 10:22:46 AM »

I saw The Dead in 2009 at The Gorge before I was very familiar with their work. Now that I've delved into their catalog and know more of their music, I'd love to check them out again. Chances are I won't be able to attend the shows in Chicago. They're too far away and too close to Telluride; there's no way I could get the time off for both shows.

I know they said it's unlikely, but I'm really hoping they hit a few more markets. There's a chance I could get to Red Rocks or The Gorge.

I also find it interesting that, from what I can tell, the band is being billed as The Grateful Dead.

Now Playing icon Listening to: Imelda May
IP address Logged

"That spells clever not cleaver."
mountainjam
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 09:58:07 AM »

fivetornadoes - I'll be at TBF - stop by camp Run A Muck and say hi!

Sugar - I have a feeling we'll be getting a fair amount of shows in the future. In a recent interview with Billboard Bob implied that he's ready to keep playing and keep traveling. Phil has been playing a ton, hopefully he'll cut ties with Peter Shapiro so that he'll start to play other venues than the Capitol Theater and Terrapin Crossroads. Bill seems to be playing more often as of late, his most recent project is Billy and the Kids. And hopefully we'll get something in the future similar to Furthur, with Phil and Bob playing together. But as far as the "Core Four" playing together, Chicago will be it.

And I also find the name of the band for this Chicago event very interesting. It does appear as though they are billing it as the Grateful Dead, but personally I hope that's not the case. As much as I love these guys and think this is a very cool event they're doing - it's not the Grateful Dead without Uncle Jer.
IP address Logged
IMHBTR
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 01:25:41 PM »

Sent what will probably be my last mail order/money order/ meticulous instructions/ artwork loaded envelope today.
I don't worry that its the final four playing, what they are called. All I know is that I spent a large portion of my time listening/following
and enjoying  their music and all the parts that came from it. Call it waxing poetic but I hope to stroll down memory lane with some good friends( doctors, lawyers, business analysts, etc. and good ole freaks) in July. Glad to have one more chance at a three show run.

Now Playing icon Listening to: Sturgill Simpson-The Promise
IP address Logged
fivetornadoes
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 10:43:08 AM »

good the hear mountainjam.. i will definitely make it a point to say hello when in telluride in june. camp Run A Muck is in the TP, right?

i started to think about this billing under the name GD. i think it was BK who said that they would never use that name again after jerry died. i still miss that fat man in black. ugh

my mail order was stamped yesterday and my chances of winning ga sat night will be less than 20% is my guess. regardless i'll be there. hotel rooms are booked. doing saturday and sunday only.

hot sugar...my guess is there will be some left and right coast shows before this finale in chicago. imo they are testing the waters to see if they can book more shows at those $200 ticket prices....me, I can't justify paying that much to be up close...in almost all of my gd shows(over 50) i actually never found my seat for 85% of the shows...unless gdts miracled me up close...
IP address Logged
mountainjam
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 11:06:00 AM »

fivetornadoes - yes, Run A Muck is in TP, come by and say hi (Sugar is also at RAM) and we'll all have a crunchy frog together. Very cool you got to see the GD so many times. I was too young to catch Jerry but have seen Bob, Phil, Billy, Mickey and bands like DSO, JRAD, RMGDR, Shakedown Street, etc. countless times since the late 90's. These Chicago shows should be a blast. Good luck with your mail order tickets!

Now Playing icon Listening to: GD 4/4/71 NYC
IP address Logged
IMHBTR
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 11:07:09 AM »

My # is in the 40's and I never cared where I sat either
unless I got GDTS'd up front. My guess is 20% as well.
About the same chance as getting TP's. I'm booked in
Chitown as well. At least we will get another shot at tix
unless GDTS is in control of all tix, which I doubt. Hope
the ticket gods are in your favor.
IP address Logged
420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

shake it, shake it, Sugaree

URL icon « Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 11:46:49 AM »

re: artwork on ticket request envelopes

IP address Logged

Turn on your Lovelight... and leave it ON!
Hot Sugar
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

Camp Run a Muck

URL icon « Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 04:12:44 PM »

hot sugar...my guess is there will be some left and right coast shows before this finale in chicago. imo they are testing the waters to see if they can book more shows at those $200 ticket prices....me, I can't justify paying that much to be up close...in almost all of my gd shows(over 50) i actually never found my seat for 85% of the shows...unless gdts miracled me up close...

I'm really hoping so. I was only 17 when I road-tripped to The Gorge with my brother and had an outstanding time. I also got to see Further in 2011. I was blown away by how good that show was, but really wished Billy and Mickey were there. My favorite Grateful Dead related show I ever saw was The Mickey Hart Band in 2012. That show was absolutely outstanding.

If they hit Washington or Oregon or Colorado, there is a chance I can make it. I honestly doubt they'll do more than the three shows, though. In addition to Chicago being the location of the last Grateful Dead show, it's also a good central location with a major airport making it a good spot for a one-off run.

As for the name, I'll be rather upset if they actually use the full name. I think having Trey play with them is an excellent business decision, though there are many guitarists I'd rather see fill the spot, but adding Trey doesn't make them The Grateful Dead again.

Now Playing icon Listening to: Jerry Garcia and David Grissman
IP address Logged

"That spells clever not cleaver."
fivetornadoes
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 05:02:49 PM »

holy...420sugaree...did u do that envelope or u just posting it?
that is crazy good++

i will probably have zero chances with the 2 lottery envelopes we sent in for july 4. zero artwork on them...

hotsugar...mickey was/is on fire with that tour/band. i saw one show on that tour and was also blown away. his last 2 cds have been a+ in my books. he did the whole brain wave thing at the show i saw. mind blowing good+
it's super hard to say if they will add more shows at this point. if the 3 in chicago become in demand tickets/shows then they might have to! totally agree on them not using the grateful dead.
c u and mountainjam in june at TP for sure!

lately i've been in love with dso. just the fact that they do that(play full shows most of the time) and are that good at it...it keeps me all warm inside on the coldest nights. i know i was blessed to see jerry and that many shows but i'm an old kat. i love that people are going to see dso shows etc without having ever seen jerry. god bless you people is all i can say!!
IP address Logged
psuruns10
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 1

URL icon « Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 06:34:50 AM »

I mail ordered for 7/4 and 7/5.  I am in for Telluride too this year.  Going to be tight.  I may just trade Chicago for some night grass tix.  I can see my self being done after traveling 4k miles roundtrip to Telluride and two weeks later heading to Chicago. 
IP address Logged
IMHBTR
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 11:39:36 AM »

We are going to need some luck:

http://www.relix.com/news/detail/new_on_sale_date_for_grateful_dead_fare_thee_well_event_after_mail_order_inundated_with_over_60000_envelopes

Now Playing icon Listening to: DBT-English Oceans
IP address Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC