Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2024, 02:19:33 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  The Dead Chicago July 3,4,5 2015 50th Anniversary
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: The Dead Chicago July 3,4,5 2015 50th Anniversary  (Read 67026 times)
IMHBTR
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #45 on: March 07, 2015, 09:34:36 PM »

Sorry to go off topic mtnjam, psruns, hot, auntie, and five:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IxbpYSRYG_w
IP address Logged
fivetornadoes
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #46 on: March 09, 2015, 06:56:28 PM »

very slick guitar video  Thumbs Up

all that talk in the other forum is making me hope for some dead songs at this years bluegrass fest
being the bands 50th and all
reason to celebrate!
IP address Logged
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #47 on: March 11, 2015, 11:26:15 PM »

No worries.

One of my favorites, for so many reasons. Thanks for the break.  Thumbs Up

Auntie Hope  :festivarian2 :green
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

3 chord's and a story that's me

URL icon « Reply #48 on: April 03, 2015, 08:57:29 AM »

I missed out on The Dead when they were around. I lived in the inner city and that was Happy Hippie music, not heavy enough for my taste.
But now I am very curious to listen to what you would consider to be their best tunes. I am going to explore this again with fresh ears. Being from Chicago raised with the Blues and a heavier sound( some Scruggs in there however, thank you mom) I am always wanting fto hear a growl or squeal or something to give me a physical reaction. So far the feel is just this smooth, easy, groove for me.
Please suggest some tunes that have grit, make me feel something.New tunes Friday fer me.

Thank you Cheers
IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

shake it, shake it, Sugaree

URL icon « Reply #49 on: April 03, 2015, 11:35:45 AM »

Please suggest some tunes that have grit, make me feel something.

Two cents; two songs.

GD was not just a great(est) psychedelic rockin' jam band. Jerry Garcia was the full package! Listen to him sing and the GD play some of their cowboy songs. Here is a great example. Timothy Knight's amazing audience recording of Cold Rain and Snow was played at Red Rocks on July 7, 1978.

Buddy Miller explains in this interview, "Everybody liked The Beatles, and I was way into the Grateful Dead, too, who actually turned a lot of people onto country music through the back door. And I would go see them play at the Fillmore; then we’d go to a bluegrass festival in Culpeper [Virginia], and I went to Woodstock. Everything was good music. I didn’t think about putting it into bins." Buddy Miller played in Emmylou Harris's backup band, Spyboy, for nearly a decade. In the early '70s, Buddy taped some great Grateful Dead shows. And, so did I.

Now, back to the great(est) psychedelic rockin' jam band, and the band with the greatest sound. Here is a great example. Sugaree is a beautiful song sung by Jerry. In the early '70s, virtually all versions of this song were played the same. Listen to my audience recording of a typical Sugaree played at RFK Stadium on June 9, 1973. By 1977, the GD had created an extravagant extended-jam version of this beloved song. Hands down, the best available Sugaree audience recording I've found is the Sugaree taped by Jerry Moore that was played by GD on May 28, 1977 at Hartford Civic Center. This version has the greatest crescendo-jams and I love it. My next-favorite extended-jam Sugaree audience recording was taped by Joani Walker at Oakland Auditorium Arena on Dec 28, 1979. This version has the greatest galloping-jams I've ever heard played.
IP address Logged

Turn on your Lovelight... and leave it ON!
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

3 chord's and a story that's me

URL icon « Reply #50 on: April 03, 2015, 02:40:21 PM »

Please suggest some tunes that have grit, make me feel something.

Two cents; two songs.

GD was not just a great(est) psychedelic rockin' jam band. Jerry Garcia was the full package! Listen to him sing and the GD play some of their cowboy songs. Here is a great example. Timothy Knight's amazing audience recording of Cold Rain and Snow was played at Red Rocks on July 7, 1978.

Buddy Miller explains in this interview, "Everybody liked The Beatles, and I was way into the Grateful Dead, too, who actually turned a lot of people onto country music through the back door. And I would go see them play at the Fillmore; then we’d go to a bluegrass festival in Culpeper [Virginia], and I went to Woodstock. Everything was good music. I didn’t think about putting it into bins." Buddy Miller played in Emmylou Harris's backup band, Spyboy, for nearly a decade. In the early '70s, Buddy taped some great Grateful Dead shows. And, so did I.

Now, back to the great(est) psychedelic rockin' jam band, and the band with the greatest sound. Here is a great example. Sugaree is a beautiful song sung by Jerry. In the early '70s, virtually all versions of this song were played the same. Listen to my audience recording of a typical Sugaree played at RFK Stadium on June 9, 1973. By 1977, the GD had created an extravagant extended-jam version of this beloved song. Hands down, the best available Sugaree audience recording I've found is the Sugaree taped by Jerry Moore that was played by GD on May 28, 1977 at Hartford Civic Center. This version has the greatest crescendo-jams and I love it. My next-favorite extended-jam Sugaree audience recording was taped by Joani Walker at Oakland Auditorium Arena on Dec 28, 1979. This version has the greatest galloping-jams I've ever heard played.

Wave Why I of should of thought of you instantly. Thank you!!!!!
IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
fivetornadoes
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #51 on: April 05, 2015, 07:51:30 AM »

cool stuff. 420sugaree. i see you like that song! one of the best for sure. always a high light!

for growl and grit..note: this list would completely different tomorrow 

Grateful Dead - Estimated Prophet / Shakedown Street / Ollin Arrageed (with Hamza El Din) /
Drums / Space / Fire On The Mountain / Sugar Magnolia
Recorded Live: 11/24/1978 - Capitol Theatre
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaQ1vXdf1Q0
jerry's voice is a little rough the the playing is anything but

Grateful Dead - Bertha 4-12-78
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V72qQhm12K8&spfreload=1

Grateful Dead - Feels Like A Stranger - 09/24/88 - Madison Square Garden
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S1p8fhVei4

IP address Logged
420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #52 on: April 05, 2015, 11:30:58 AM »

Arguably, this may be one of GD's best jams ever played... Avalon Ballroom, San Francisco, Calif, on Oct 12, 1968.

True Festivarian Grit... On a blistering summer day in 1972, the Grateful Dead took the stage on the grounds of the Oregon Country Fair in Veneta, Ore. for what would become one of the most legendary concerts of the band's storied history. There is some remarkable film footage and tons of restoration work that went into this 8-minute video from Aug 27... China Cat Sunflower... This is an age-restricted YouTube video because it contains some nudity.

The GD shows I attended were in 1973. My first time taping them was June 9. Their sound system was incredible. Here is a pic of this show. Listen to my tape of them playing Eyes Of The World.
IP address Logged

Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #53 on: April 06, 2015, 08:18:58 PM »

I love most all Jerry songs That was a great  Cold Rain and Snow. I always loved Wharf Rat and China Doll, Sugaree and Loose Lucy, Terrapin Station, Ripple, and Bird Song. Those are just a very few though of a long list. Stagger Lee is a good one too, along with Loser and oh hell I love them all!
IP address Logged

"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing. "  (Shunryu Suzuki)
420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #54 on: April 07, 2015, 10:53:42 AM »

Still kind of not there for me, leaves me waiting for some king of a big climax or? Perhaps this music is a sign of the times in a huge way.

GD's greatest "tape-recorded run" was their 1972 European tour. I recommend listening to their two London shows.

GD live on May 23, 1972 at The Strand Lyceum.

GD live on May 26, 1972 at The Strand Lyceum.

If you must, just cut to the show on May 26 and listen to Not Fade Away > Going Down The Road Feeling Bad > Not Fade Away - best version ever!

For a great finale, check out Pigpen singing Turn On Your Lovelight in this GD recording taped by Buddy Miller in the broom closet at The Fillmore East on April 27, 1971.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 11:56:57 AM by 420Sugaree » IP address Logged

Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #55 on: April 07, 2015, 02:51:13 PM »

Great China CAt!  Bobby is just a young pup!
IP address Logged

"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing. "  (Shunryu Suzuki)
TheLorax27
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

SAFETY THIRD.

URL icon « Reply #56 on: April 15, 2015, 10:03:26 PM »

Could have landed this here too. GSB with Phil.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs5N42g9tF4

Thank you all for these posts over the last few weeks I have listened to and seen more GD and Jerry than before and I am loving it!

Now Playing icon Listening to: roll away
IP address Logged

Eat Drink and Be Merry!
420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #57 on: April 16, 2015, 07:42:43 PM »

Grateful Dead's Final Concerts To Be Broadcast in Theaters
IP address Logged

mountainjam
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #58 on: May 14, 2015, 09:40:43 AM »

Happy Jerryweather Day to those going to the show tonight, should be a great one!

Miss you Jer  Cheers

Now Playing icon Listening to: Garcia/Saunders Keystone Sessions
IP address Logged
mountainjam
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #59 on: May 15, 2015, 08:48:01 AM »

Anyone else listen to the Dear Jerry stream last night? I was a bit underwhelmed by the performances but I guess that is to be expected when each band only gets 1 or 2 songs. And cutting Greensky and Railroad Earth because of time constraints really sucked! I feel badly for both bands. Greensky was scheduled to play Eyes and RRE was going to play Terrapin. 

Now Playing icon Listening to: Phish 8/14/93
IP address Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC