Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2024, 02:11:51 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  The Dead
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: The Dead  (Read 62935 times)
Hot Sugar
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

Camp Run a Muck

URL icon « on: March 17, 2009, 02:14:33 PM »

OK, so I did this when I bought a new album I was really excited about, just so I could share my joy with people who actually know who I'm talking about, unlike the people I'm surrounded by. So, here goes, I get to see The Dead, The Doobie Brothers, and the Allman Brothers in one night!!!!!! This is going to be epic beyond belief!!!!!!!!!!!
IP address Logged

"That spells clever not cleaver."
wilco1
Festivarian

Festivation rating 32

URL icon « Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 02:42:45 PM »

Sounds like a good time make sure have a drink for all of us that can't be there. Cheers
IP address Logged
Ron N Deb
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 03:12:29 PM »

which show are you going too?
I would way excited!! wish I could make the Dead show in Denver

Thumbs Up Cheers
IP address Logged

Peace N Love
Ron N Deb
420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

shake it, shake it, Sugaree

URL icon « Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 07:24:32 PM »

I get to see The Dead, The Doobie Brothers, and the Allman Brothers in one night!!!!!! This is going to be epic beyond belief!!!!!!!!!!!

hey Sug - enjoy yourselves w/ your friends. That's where it's at.

Here is an account for the historic soundcheck for The Band, Allman Bros, and The Grateful Dead. 600,000 of us were at Watkins Glen, July, 28, 1973.

"Bill Graham allowed the soundcheck with the crowd of people in front, and The Band ran through a few numbers to the delight of the audience. The Allman Brothers Band did their soundcheck next, playing "One Way Out" and "Ramblin' Man". The Grateful Dead's legendary soundcheck turned into a two set marathon. Considering that most of those who attended the event hailed from the Northeast, and that the average age of those present was approximately seventeen to twenty-four, close to one out of every three young people from Boston to New York was at the festival."

Grateful Dead - 1974 - Wall of Sound
IP address Logged

Turn on your Lovelight... and leave it ON!
Ron N Deb
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 07:29:12 PM »

Guys this isnt a plug But
Im Soooo Hooked into Xm/Sirrus
Dead Channel !
IP address Logged

Peace N Love
Ron N Deb
Hot Sugar
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

Camp Run a Muck

URL icon « Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 09:06:32 PM »

Thumbs Up Cheers
I'll be at the last show of the tour, Quincey Washington, driving over 15 hours to get there but it'll be way more then worth it Cheers
IP address Logged

dayton
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

instagram.com/ashevilledayton

URL icon « Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 08:11:57 AM »

awesome
yeh the dead xm radio station is the best! i love the tales from the golden road segment they do. i've heard some great stories on there...
and for the dead this spring, i'm going to see the tour opener on easter, and i cant wait!!! got tickets the day they went on sale, and hotel reservations
woot!
im just as excited to see some old friends i hadn't seen in years at the show. nuthin like good people having a good time listening to good music!

and did ya see the lineup for rothbury: the dead, dylan and his band, willie nelson, and cheese... gonna be good, but i'd still rather be in telluride if ya ask me... gotta hear the bluegrass in the mountains, i feel like i'd been waiting my whole life to make it to telluride and this year is the year!

Now Playing icon Listening to: npr
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 08:13:41 AM by dayton » IP address Logged

“Life is like music for its own sake. We are living in an eternal now, and when we listen to music we are not listening to the past, we are not listening to the future, we are listening to an expanded present.” ― Alan W. Watts
Hot Sugar
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

Camp Run a Muck

URL icon « Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 04:38:18 PM »

I get to see The Dead, The Doobie Brothers, and the Allman Brothers in one night!!!!!! This is going to be epic beyond belief!!!!!!!!!!!

hey Sug - enjoy yourselves w/ your friends. That's where it's at.

Here is an account for the historic soundcheck for The Band, Allman Bros, and The Grateful Dead. 600,000 of us were at Watkins Glen, July, 28, 1973.

"Bill Graham allowed the soundcheck with the crowd of people in front, and The Band ran through a few numbers to the delight of the audience. The Allman Brothers Band did their soundcheck next, playing "One Way Out" and "Ramblin' Man". The Grateful Dead's legendary soundcheck turned into a two set marathon. Considering that most of those who attended the event hailed from the Northeast, and that the average age of those present was approximately seventeen to twenty-four, close to one out of every three young people from Boston to New York was at the festival."

Grateful Dead - 1974 - Wall of Sound

Thanks man, this was great!!! Thumbs Up
IP address Logged

Doc Mike
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 07:47:54 PM »

Thumbs Up Cheers
I'll be at the last show of the tour, Quincey Washington, driving over 15 hours to get there but it'll be way more then worth it Cheers

You are going to love The Gorge!
IP address Logged

We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams.
~Willy Wonka
Hot Sugar
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

Camp Run a Muck

URL icon « Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 03:52:37 PM »

Thumbs Up Cheers
I've heard that it's one of the best places to see a concert, I'm really excited to go there! That and I love Washington. And what better band could there be for my first visit there? Cheers
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 12:15:27 PM by Hot Sugar » IP address Logged

Matt
URL icon « Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 04:25:32 PM »

Thumbs Up Cheers

I've heard that it's one of the best places to see a concert, I'm really excited to go there! That and I love Washington. And what better band could there be for my first visit there? Cheers

Leftover Salmon???

But in all seriousness, I'm really looking forward to this show.  Almost as much as I'm looking forward to telluride, honestly.  (blasphemy, I know).
IP address Logged
Hot Sugar
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

Camp Run a Muck

URL icon « Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 12:15:03 PM »

Thumbs Up Cheers

Leftover Salmon???

But in all seriousness, I'm really looking forward to this show.  Almost as much as I'm looking forward to telluride, honestly.  (blasphemy, I know).

You know I love Lefotver Salmon, but their will be plenty of time to see them in the future, not so much with the Dead, and as for looking forward to it as much as Telluride, I'd say close to for me, but Telluride is still bigger and better
IP address Logged

Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 02:47:55 PM »

I have tickets for the Dead in Denver, but if my friend from Hawaii can't make it, I may be selling them.  I hope to not have to do that, but I've been to so many GD and Dead and Other Ones shows that if I don't go it won't be that big a deal but definitely a bummer.  Too many other festivals to go to this summer anyway.
Two of those shows were in Telluride in '87.

Just curious, is anyone from SW CO going?  Maybe we could carpool if I end up going.
Also, is anyone on this forum from Denver area going?  The fun doesn't stop after the last song, or after the last car leaves the lot, so I may need a place to continue the energy that is always there.  Chief Hosa perhaps?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 01:28:15 PM by Cindy Lou » IP address Logged

"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing. "  (Shunryu Suzuki)
livluvgrow
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

Festivaaal!

URL icon « Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 03:57:04 PM »

Ya know what stinks? The only show on the tour that would work for us is Greensboro and being that that is the last day of our spring break before our students come back means that it really doesn't work either. Fortunately we just spent New Years Eve with Phil and Bob in San Francisco just didn't get Micky and Billy
IP address Logged

Up on the Blue Ridge Mountains, there I'll take my stand.
A rifle on my shoulder, six shooter in my hand;
Oh Lord, I been all around this world.
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 09:20:10 PM »

I'll be glad to see the Dead before TBF.  Take a trip to Denver with a couple of people that never have seen those boys, two of us will teach them a bit about that music history.  They play in a band that does covers and their keyboard player has taught them a couple of Dead tunes, but they don't know much about the Dead scene.  I was reading the best memories of TBF and I thought about seeing the Grateful Dead in Telluride, I think that is why its so hard to remember the early years at Telluride.  I wonder if I'll know any of the songs?   Maybe I can get those guys to come to TBF next year, expand their horizons.

Now Playing icon Listening to: iron and wine
IP address Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC