Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2024, 02:20:53 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  The Dead
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: The Dead  (Read 62942 times)
dayton
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

instagram.com/ashevilledayton

URL icon « Reply #30 on: April 13, 2009, 05:38:45 PM »

those pics are sweet 420sugaree
love the one of phils light up base
the show was stellar
the estimated prophet was a highlight for me
and the beautiful 80 degree sunshine weather without a cloud in the sky was great
we arrived to the lot around 3 in the afternoon. left the lot around 3 in the morning, and there were still at least 10,000 people still partying and raging when we left. on site camping is the bomb! food vendors, craft vendors, everything, dance parties, and more. its what i woulda imagined a grateful dead show to be like.....
i got a writer friend for the blue banner here in asheville and he reported that there were 29,000 people in attendance. gboro coliseum holds about that many, right? well, however many were inside, it seemed there were that many outside too

as with attending the dead shows in 2004, i can honestly say, i missed out when the grateful dead were actually touring....... man, i so woulda been there!

Now Playing icon Listening to: mark knoepfler and emmylou harris -love this album
IP address Logged

“Life is like music for its own sake. We are living in an eternal now, and when we listen to music we are not listening to the past, we are not listening to the future, we are listening to an expanded present.” ― Alan W. Watts
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #31 on: April 13, 2009, 11:57:32 PM »

Sorry you missed out Dayton. It was pretty cool back in 2004! We did the Tampa Show.  :)

Auntie Hope  :festivarian2 :green
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
dulcigirl

Festivation rating 0

URL icon « Reply #32 on: April 14, 2009, 08:04:15 AM »

Anyone going to the shows at The Rosemont (Allstate)?
IP address Logged
420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

shake it, shake it, Sugaree

URL icon « Reply #33 on: April 16, 2009, 09:56:54 AM »

The Dead at Verizon Center - 04/14/09

Big RR Blues, like Jack Straw from the previous show, starts out weakly but it gets going later in the tune. It's passable, w/ nice slide work. Sounds sweet - decent licks. Weir-d ending? Tipper Gore plays percussion w/ the boys during Sug Mag? I see it both ways. It disappoints on a Jerry musical level, but it's fun to see everyone making the scene and enjoying some good music. Finally some pics are floating around. I thought this source sounded better of the first upped.

IP address Logged

Turn on your Lovelight... and leave it ON!
420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #34 on: April 16, 2009, 11:41:25 AM »

Fans grateful for The Dead says this source regarding Charlottesville show last night.

Looks like Bob hasn't changed clothes for 3 shows

IP address Logged

420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #35 on: April 16, 2009, 05:05:54 PM »

April 15, 2009
John Paul Johns Arena
Charlottesville ,Va

wooooo---hooooo, Bertha
much better, that is, much stronger start by The Boys!

got that bluesy-slide-thingy going
and organ-voices doin that Pig -- BBM

Bertha - 8:45 vbr mp3

Big Boss Man - 9:13 vbr mp3

IP address Logged

Kaptain Karlos
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

2008 TBF Flamingo Slayer

URL icon « Reply #36 on: April 16, 2009, 06:06:57 PM »

Wave Hey 420Sugaree - If you are attending the shows, how are the boys doing musically?  Do they sound like the good ole Grateful Dead, or have they come up with a new sound.  I heard Phil perfers to de-emphasize Jerry and wants to move on with the music.  I've got tickets to Shoreline and am hoping to hear and feel the Grateful Dead again.  Do you think I'll have any luck?

Kaptain Karlos  :dance

P.S.  Great job on the pictures and posts... they're making me jones for a show.
IP address Logged
livluvgrow
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

Festivaaal!

URL icon « Reply #37 on: April 16, 2009, 06:26:28 PM »

Wow Sugaree those are phenominal pictures. My wife and I couldn't catch a show do to our living in FL. We just went and spent NYE with Phil and BOB in San Francisco, so we thought it best to sit this out and prepare for summer. I am looking at your pictures and now I regret badly that we couldn't fit one in.
IP address Logged

Up on the Blue Ridge Mountains, there I'll take my stand.
A rifle on my shoulder, six shooter in my hand;
Oh Lord, I been all around this world.
Hot Sugar
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

Camp Run a Muck

URL icon « Reply #38 on: April 18, 2009, 10:56:28 AM »

Just under a month before I get to see them at The Gorge!!!! I'm extremely excited for this. There are so many great bands of the past that I missed because I was born late, but a few months from now, I will be able to say that I saw The Dead!!!!! Cheers
IP address Logged

"That spells clever not cleaver."
flyfishindave
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #39 on: April 20, 2009, 08:40:26 AM »

The boys are rolling through cities and pulling out nuggets each night...i'm so happy to see them going deep in the archives!

Thumbs Up

Now Playing icon Listening to: The Dead 4/18/09 Worcester, Mass
IP address Logged

The secret is to surrender to the flow
Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #40 on: April 20, 2009, 10:15:43 PM »

Okay I've asked before, but who is going to the show in Denver on May 7th? And, does anyone know if they are having onsite camping or a particular hotel that would be good to book in for the after-show party?  My friend from HI is coming, but I have no idea where we are going to stay since she didn't book a hotel for that week.  I've never been to a show at Pepsi Center, so I also don't know what I can get in with, or what they sell inside.  Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
IP address Logged

"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing. "  (Shunryu Suzuki)
jjwood64
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #41 on: April 21, 2009, 06:33:56 AM »

I'm sorry, folks, but as a 26-year Deadhead, I have been saying four words since August 9, 1995:  NOT DEAD WITHOUT JERRY!

I listened to a stream of the 4/15 Charlottesville show, and it
was decent for a nostalgia act, but much of the time, I heard plodding tempos,
shaky ensemble playing and sluggish instrumental jams.  Warren Haynes
sounded fine, as did Jeff Chimenti, but as for the Core Four...it was like
listening to a Phil Lesh & Friends show where most of the players had
the flu.

For the record, I skipped "the Dead" 2004 Red Rocks run in favor of
Telluride with zero regrets.  At this time, I do not have a ticket for
the Denver show because for what I've heard thus far, the ticket
prices are far too high, IMHO.  Three-digits to see a nostalgia act
just does not thrill me.  YMWV, because I am a jaded and picky
music lover, but what I've heard so far feels like the equivalent of
an aged professional athlete who keeps trying, but whose physical
skills have deteriorated to the point that athlete cannot do it anymore.

I sure hope I'm wrong, but what I've heard has been depressing to these ears.
IP address Logged
420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #42 on: April 21, 2009, 11:03:18 AM »

The Dead 2009 on LMA

—  snapshot of The Dead tour thus far in 2009 - thanks Boys!  —
Thanks to all Tapers - and everyone helping out w/ tracking the sets and getting the transfers in.

I listened to a stream of the 4/15 Charlottesville show, and it was decent for a nostalgia act, but much of the time, I heard plodding tempos, shaky ensemble playing and sluggish instrumental jams.  Warren Haynes sounded fine, as did Jeff Chimenti, but as for the Core Four...it was like listening to a Phil Lesh & Friends show where most of the players had the flu.

JJ - this is not a personal attack here, but, The Dead sound way, way better than you are giving them credit for. And I, for one, do not appreciate your baseless bitterness over the greatest story ever told. Did you try breaking out your stash yesterday, and lighting up, and then lightening up?

Geeeezzzzzzzz, yes, The Boys are 348 y/o:
Phil, 69
Mickey, 65
Bill, 63
Bob, 61
Warren, 49
Jeff, 41

I never saw John Hartford, Norman Blake, Vassar Clements, Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, Ricky Scaggs and JD Crowe getting together and touring at this point in their careers. Their playing and singing would have been similarly affected by their ages, I honestly believe. I was at Rudyard Kipling on Dec 14, 2008. The Bluegrass Hotel can't even tie their own friggin' shoes without getting in a food fight, and having a childish tizzy! Let alone, they can't agree on setlists, taping shows, filming stuff, releasing archival footage, or respecting the financial reality that all of us fans are facing these days.

What I can tell you is, the Grateful Dead were the kings of the counter-culture movement in the USA. The Grateful Dead's career spans 30 years, 1965 - 1995. They invented Audience Taping Sections for taping shows in 1985. I was taping them in 1973. The wall of sound was perfected in 1974. I also taped the Bluegrass Hotel boys in 1974. GD played about 2500 shows, and about 2250 of them were taped.

thank you Betty Cantor for the best tapes

The Dead are not as good as The Grateful Dead 1968 - 1973, or 1977. Please stop taking cheap shots at my favorite human beings. Cindy Lou and her friend have the right idea.

St Stephen - Roseland Ballroom NYC, March 30

Jack Straw - Greensboro, April 12

Big Railroad Blues - Wash DC, April 14

Bertha - Charlottesville, April 15

Big Boss Man - Charlottesville, April 15

Cold Rain and Snow - Albany, April 17

Sugaree - Albany, April 17

Cumberland Blues - Albany, April 17

GDTRFB - Worcester, April 18

Bird Song pt 1 - Worcester, April 18

China Cat - Worcester, April 18

Rider - Worcester, April 18

Bird Song pt 2 - Worcester, April 18

Deal - Worcester, April 19

Uncle John's Band - Worcester, April 19

I think The Boys are talented and sound pretty damn good. Not to mention they're very generous. Funny as hell - Warren's licks - playing his solo deep into Cumberland - I could swear the dude is doing mandolin-styled licks. The way he's picking makes me think that. And he does the Waaahhhhh-Waaahhhhh in GDTRFB and China Cat. And plenty of good slide work. They're good! Very entertaining just listening. Lot's of sing-alongs - undoubtedly it's very emotional for the performers and the audience. I don't have a problem with that, setlists, or prompters.

happy 4/20 day

for me it's 24-7-365

Joel Selvin: The LSD use was a fundamental building block in a new way of thinking in a new community.

Why do we have war? What is the power of love? Who is God and why is he here and what has he done for me lately anyway? I mean, these were questions that were being debated by young people who were just growing into their bodies and their minds and their selves.

You were going through a door, and you wanted to be in the rooms on the other side of that door. You wanted to know what was there and you wanted to take that knowledge back with you.

Hey, you know, we're trying to learn to live better, to think better, to be better human beings and be a better race, be a better civilization and to make this whole thing work.

Jerry Garcia: What we're thinking about is a peaceful planet, we're not thinking of anything else. We're not thinking about any kind of power. We're not thinking about any of those kinds of struggles. We're not thinking about revolution or war or any of that. We would all like to be able to live an uncluttered life, a simple life, a good life and think about moving the whole human race ahead a step.

I can envisage a new world in which society has a way for there to be music, whose function is to get you high, that's the sort of thing we're hammering at. To get really high is to forget yourself and to forget yourself is to see everything else; and to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. That's why I think it's important to get high.

Joel Selvin: The music changed just immediately. I cannot explain to you what it's like to be in a crowd of 5,000 people on LSD with the Grateful Dead, also on LSD, leading the crowd through a series of improvisations. Before that, rock and roll songs were three minutes, period, paragraph, we're out of here.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 11:51:34 AM by 420Sugaree » IP address Logged

Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #43 on: April 21, 2009, 12:09:26 PM »

I go as much, if not more, for the party in the parking lot and the vibes there as I do for the music.  And every time they play a Jerry song, I will probably cry like a baby, because I do miss him so much.  (If I close my eyes, I can still see him up there and then I smile and remember what he looked and sounded like and it isn't so devastating.)  pickin But the feeling that I get from being there and seeing Bobby and Phil and Billy and Mickey brings back SO many good memories, and I know they miss Jerry too, and they don't want to quit bringing joy to those of us who still care.  I still need those good feelings in my life, and I for one am really looking forward to being there again with that family.  It's hard to imagine TBF without Sam, but I know the day will come and I will still want to go to the festival too, but it too, will never be the same afterwards. 
IP address Logged

"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing. "  (Shunryu Suzuki)
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

3 chord's and a story that's me

URL icon « Reply #44 on: April 21, 2009, 12:15:51 PM »

Gosh Cindy Lou there is a thought I really do not want to contimplate.. You will have a blast at the Pepsi Center I have only been a few times (too big fer me)  so I can't really give you any good details...I think they had lots of vendors and a few full bars set up however. Flower
IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC