Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2024, 02:02:56 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  The Dead
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: The Dead  (Read 62919 times)
Hot Sugar
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

Camp Run a Muck

URL icon « Reply #60 on: April 22, 2009, 12:29:23 PM »

I'm sorry, folks, but as a 26-year Deadhead, I have been saying four words since August 9, 1995:  NOT DEAD WITHOUT JERRY!

I listened to a stream of the 4/15 Charlottesville show, and it
was decent for a nostalgia act, but much of the time, I heard plodding tempos,
shaky ensemble playing and sluggish instrumental jams.  Warren Haynes
sounded fine, as did Jeff Chimenti, but as for the Core Four...it was like
listening to a Phil Lesh & Friends show where most of the players had
the flu.

For the record, I skipped "the Dead" 2004 Red Rocks run in favor of
Telluride with zero regrets.  At this time, I do not have a ticket for
the Denver show because for what I've heard thus far, the ticket
prices are far too high, IMHO.  Three-digits to see a nostalgia act
just does not thrill me.  YMWV, because I am a jaded and picky
music lover, but what I've heard so far feels like the equivalent of
an aged professional athlete who keeps trying, but whose physical
skills have deteriorated to the point that athlete cannot do it anymore.

I sure hope I'm wrong, but what I've heard has been depressing to these ears.

I know The Dead were better with Jerry Garcia, but the music is still good. And for someone who turned four on August 9 1995 (like me) and hasn't had a real chance to see one of, if not the, greatest bands of all time, this tour is absolutely amazing. I'm 17, and I feel like I'm able to step into a time machine and go back in time to when music was better than it had ever been, and I can't wait untill May 16th.
IP address Logged

"That spells clever not cleaver."
Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #61 on: April 22, 2009, 12:55:02 PM »

CindyLou - Hippie Jerry and I run the bbq at a little hippie festival in Northern California every August.  If you miss Jerry Garcia, the Dead scene, and the "vibe" then you should consider attending Dead On The Creek.  It's the only place I know of where The Grateful Dead lives on...

Kaptain Karlos  :dance

Can I hear an AMEN ?

:peace

Amen Karl!  And Jerry!  I saw those pics of the pigs and the salmon eating your hand last year.  You know I would love to come, but for me the timing is usually an issue.  When I first heard of this 2 years ago I wanted to come, and last year too, but alas, the timing conflicted with other obligations.  I was there is spirit though!  Just like it was for HSB.
IP address Logged

"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing. "  (Shunryu Suzuki)
flyfishindave
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #62 on: April 22, 2009, 01:08:59 PM »

Billy Beru

How can you possibly construe my post as whiny?  Us North Carolinians like to rib each others' teams, especially Duke-UNC.  It's our religion.  Carolina wouldn't be Carolina without it's archrival, and vice versa.  Cryolina fans are called Cryolina, tongue-in-cheek, by ABCer's (anybody but Carolina), because of their propensity for whining, not the other way around.  
I grew up in Durham, both parents went to Duke, and had season Tix from '76-'86, when I left for college (Davidson).  Both football and bb.  I've earned the right to take jabs at UNC.  But now we're getting off topic, which is the dead.   FYI, Cameron Indoor played host to the GD and I have a black n white 4/12/78 video of a spry fatman doing a Pete Townsend windmill riff! Of course Jerry was not so fat back then...

Talk to your buddy Punchy bout my Duke allegiance, he knows.   Duke, Dead, Flyfishing, Festivating...my passion  Thumbs Up
IP address Logged

The secret is to surrender to the flow
Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #63 on: April 22, 2009, 01:29:52 PM »

Wow Monte that Buffalo setlist sounds great! 
I love Eyes of the World, and a few of my favorites are Wharf Rat, Terrapin, Estimated Prophet, The Wheel, The Other One, The Eleven, Candy Man, Bertha, and Jack Straw.  Those are only a FEW, and most of my favorites were "Jerry" songs.

I'm gonna go, and I'm gonna have a GREAT time! Just to feel that way again is worth it to me, at any price. Kinda makes time stand still for a bit, in a really good place and time.
And Monte, thanks for all the posts and pics.  I for one am truly amazed and grateful for all your effort.
IP address Logged

"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing. "  (Shunryu Suzuki)
420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

shake it, shake it, Sugaree

URL icon « Reply #64 on: April 22, 2009, 02:02:35 PM »

roast beef on weck

It's a roast beef sandwich on a salty kummelweck roll, w/ a sprinkle of rock salt on the top of the roll. Made only in the Buffalo-Rochester area, the "Roast Beef on Weck" is basically a Kaiser roll topped with lots of pretzel salt and caraway seeds. I had my first one in 1982. Kummelweck is simply shortened to “weck.” The sandwich is usually served with sinus-clearing horseradish, a couple of huge kosher dill pickle slices on the side, and extra beef juice served straight from the roast. Wash it all down with a cold, locally brewed ale. Then I would have like to have seen the boys last night.

IP address Logged

Turn on your Lovelight... and leave it ON!
BillyBeru
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

"Good evening, music lovers!"

URL icon « Reply #65 on: April 22, 2009, 02:09:09 PM »

Billy Beru

How can you possibly construe my post as whiny?  Us North Carolinians like to rib each others' teams, especially Duke-UNC.  It's our religion.  Carolina wouldn't be Carolina without it's archrival, and vice versa.  Cryolina fans are called Cryolina, tongue-in-cheek, by ABCer's (anybody but Carolina), because of their propensity for whining, not the other way around.  
I grew up in Durham, both parents went to Duke, and had season Tix from '76-'86, when I left for college (Davidson).  Both football and bb.  I've earned the right to take jabs at UNC.  But now we're getting off topic, which is the dead.   FYI, Cameron Indoor played host to the GD and I have a black n white 4/12/78 video of a spry fatman doing a Pete Townsend windmill riff! Of course Jerry was not so fat back then...

Talk to your buddy Punchy bout my Duke allegiance, he knows.   Duke, Dead, Flyfishing, Festivating...my passion  Thumbs Up

FFDave,

LOL. Great response and one I would expect from a "flaming" Dukie.  LOL

Before I retort please know that I was not declaring your entire post as whiny, rather just the Cryolina comment. Now with all that said, let's go to the videotape:

- Having lived in Charlotte for a spell and being friends with many Carolinians like yourself, many of them consider Duke to be a Yankee school and don't even think of Duke when it comes to hated schools. Most of these folks are NC State fans and as you know have a particular revulsion for anything teal.
 - My now ex-girlfriend went to Duke. This explains some of my feelings.  Wink
 - You can't be faulted that your parents went to Duke. Heck, it sure sounds like they raised a good son.  LOL
 - March 4, 1990. Cameron Indoor. UNC 87, (5) Duke, 75. I personally witnessed this butt whooping handed out by King Rice and crew in Cameron. Gawd it was a bloodbath.

Cheers

BB
IP address Logged

"How many of you have been at the festival all four days?"
flyfishindave
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #66 on: April 22, 2009, 03:22:59 PM »

BB

I'm loving the Duke/UNC banter, I didn't expect to get in a bb conversation in a Dead forum;  you seem like a good guy (must be if friend of Punchy) who took a wrong turn down 15-501 sometime ago.   And I'd love to continue this dialogue down at TBF.  I'll buy you a Fat Tire and we can talk about some of the great games in the series.  Such as 1981 when Eugene "tinkerbell" Banks hit the game tying basket (his final game, one of our greats) with time expiring (over the outstretched arms of Sam Perkins, a UNC legend) and single-handedly destroyed Carolina in OT...

As difficult as it is to admit, Cryolina was by far the best team this year and they deserved to win the title.  Now cmon John Wall to Duke and we will be in UNCs position next April

IP address Logged

dayton
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

instagram.com/ashevilledayton

URL icon « Reply #67 on: April 22, 2009, 07:51:01 PM »

A selection of thus far unplayed songs I'd like to hear, some more than others.

Wharf Rat
Weather Report Suite
Gimme Some Lovin'
Keep on Growin'
Low Spark
Tomorrow Never Knows
Octopuses Garden
Day Tripper
Dear Prudence
Strawberry Fields
Do It In The Road
Something
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Lucy In The Sky
Revolution
Attics
BT Wind
Black Peter
Box of Rain
Brokedown
China Doll
Desolation Row
Baby Blue
Don't Ease
El Paso
Morning Dew
Dark Hollow
Esau
Estimated
Greatest Story
Hard To Handle
Hey Pocky Way
Iko
Hurts Me Too
Jack-a-roe
Let It Rock
Little Light
Might As Well
Midnight Hour
Mind Left Body Jam
Monkey & The Engineer
Mountain Jam
Dear Mr. Fantasy
Next Time You See Me
Nobody's Fault
On The Road Again
Race Is On
Reuben & Cherise
Roadrunner
Rosalie McFall
Roses
Sage & Spirit
Sailor>Saint
Same Thing (I was there for the breakout, almost 20 years to the day if I remember correctly)
She Belongs to Me
Sing Me Back Home
Spanish Jam
Spoonful
Stir It Up
Lazy Lightnin'>Supplication
Tangled Up In Blue
Till The Morning Comes
To lay Me Down
Tom Thumb's Blues
Top Of The World
Tons of Steel
Victim
Visions of Johanna
Walkin' The Dog
Wang Dang Doodle
We Bid You Goodnight
You Win Again
World To Give

How many shows are left on the tour?

IP address Logged

“Life is like music for its own sake. We are living in an eternal now, and when we listen to music we are not listening to the past, we are not listening to the future, we are listening to an expanded present.” ― Alan W. Watts
Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #68 on: April 23, 2009, 12:28:44 AM »

Are you sure that's all? LOL LOL LOL
IP address Logged

BillyBeru
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #69 on: April 23, 2009, 07:17:44 AM »

BB

I'm loving the Duke/UNC banter, I didn't expect to get in a bb conversation in a Dead forum;  you seem like a good guy (must be if friend of Punchy) who took a wrong turn down 15-501 sometime ago.   And I'd love to continue this dialogue down at TBF.  I'll buy you a Fat Tire and we can talk about some of the great games in the series.  Such as 1981 when Eugene "tinkerbell" Banks hit the game tying basket (his final game, one of our greats) with time expiring (over the outstretched arms of Sam Perkins, a UNC legend) and single-handedly destroyed Carolina in OT...

As difficult as it is to admit, Cryolina was by far the best team this year and they deserved to win the title.  Now cmon John Wall to Duke and we will be in UNCs position next April

Right on, Dave - looking forward to discussing Duke's glory years and how they cannot recruit the low post player anymore.  Cheers

Looks like you got smited a bit for perhaps revealing your Duke colors - we'll get you back to your proper status.  Thumbs Up
IP address Logged

420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

shake it, shake it, Sugaree

URL icon « Reply #70 on: April 23, 2009, 09:40:58 AM »

The Dead
April 21, 2009
HSBC Arena
Buffalo, NY

recorded and transferred by Chris LaPorte

info page on LMA

audio stream on LMA

Set 1:
01 Tuning
02 Promised Land
03 The Love Each Other
04 Mama Tried
05 Loser
06 Smokestack Lightning
07 Stella Blue
08 All Over Now
09 Big River

Set 2:
01 Tuning
02 Playin' in the Band
03 Me and Bobby McGee
04 Loose Lucy
05 Ramble on Rose
06 Drums
07 Space
08 Maggie's Farm
09 Eyes of the World
10 Playin' Reprise
11 donor rap
12 Truckin'

The Dead
April 22, 2009
Wachovia Arena
Wilkes-Barre, PA

recorded and transferred by Robert Krall

info page on LMA

audio stream on LMA

01.Jam > Mr. Charlie
02.Stagger Lee
03.Liberty
04.Candyman
05.Me & My Uncle
06.Built to Last
07.Tennessee Jed
08.Dire Wolf

Set 2

01.Golden Road to Unlimited Devotion >
02.Revolution
03.Weather Report Suite >
04.Iko-Iko >
05.Rhythm Devils >space
06.Caution >Jam >
07.So Many Roads >
08.Midnight Hour
09.Box of Rain
IP address Logged

Turn on your Lovelight... and leave it ON!
flyfishindave
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #71 on: April 23, 2009, 11:57:29 AM »

BB
I'm in New Orleans and Duke bb just isn't that important now. Several of my Tarhole friends are meeting me in approx one hour in the Big Easy.  I'm gonna get an earful of cryolina pride this weekend. The good news is I ran into Nate James in Atlanta yesterday and he tells me were about to sign the best point guard in hs.  So it's a beginning to take us out of mediocrity, a place we have been residing over the last 5 years.  It's all about cycles my friend.  Now LTGTR!

I'm ready for more music....last night saw free concert (Kermit Ruffins and the BBQ  Swingers) at Lafayette Square with the amazing hostess Courtney), gambled (lost), saw good 20 piece funk/jazz band from France off the FQ...first live song to greet my ears in NO? Why, Aiko Aiko of course!
IP address Logged

BillyBeru
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #72 on: April 23, 2009, 12:55:56 PM »

BB
I'm in New Orleans and Duke bb just isn't that important now. Several of my Tarhole friends are meeting me in approx one hour in the Big Easy.  I'm gonna get an earful of cryolina pride this weekend. The good news is I ran into Nate James in Atlanta yesterday and he tells me were about to sign the best point guard in hs.  So it's a beginning to take us out of mediocrity, a place we have been residing over the last 5 years.  It's all about cycles my friend.  Now LTGTR!

I'm ready for more music....last night saw free concert (Kermit Ruffins and the BBQ  Swingers) at Lafayette Square with the amazing hostess Courtney), gambled (lost), saw good 20 piece funk/jazz band from France off the FQ...first live song to greet my ears in NO? Why, Aiko Aiko of course!

Dave,

Awesome! Oh man do I love the Big Easy.

If you can get in you must eat at Jacque-I-Mos - one of the best restaurants I've ever experienced. Afterwards, head next door to the Maple Leaf for some drinks. And  if you go to the Columns Hotel bar make sure you say hello to Mike the bartender.

Don't forget to see the Rebirth Brass Band! (the band ya love to hate).

Cheers

IP address Logged

flyfishindave
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #73 on: April 23, 2009, 01:18:57 PM »

Check that!  And I will be seeing Rebirth Brass Band, Big Sam's Funky Nation and other local groups...JT Sat night!
IP address Logged

dayton
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

instagram.com/ashevilledayton

URL icon « Reply #74 on: April 25, 2009, 08:24:30 AM »

heres from last night 4/24 in uniondale
(Set 1)
Jack Straw
Brown-Eyed Women
It's All Over Now Baby Blue
Easy Wind
Death Don't Have No Mercy
Don't Ease Me In.
Lost Sailor
Saint of Circumstance

(Set 2)
When I Paint My Masterpiece
Peggy-O
Looks Like Rain
Alabama Getaway
Dark Star
Rhythm Devils
Space
Knockin' On Heaven's Door
Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad

(Encore)
Touch of Grey

nice, finally got a lost sailor > st of circumstance and some dylan tunes!
and a brown eyed woman and masterpiece...... cant wait till this one comes up on the archives
looks like a couple repeats too, touch of grey and a jack straw....
man, these boys are on fire! wish i could see em again before the end of the tour!
i heard from some heads that at rothbury dylan is gonna be playin with the dead...... maybe a rumor, but what a rumor it is.........

Now Playing icon Listening to: grateful dead miami 93
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 08:27:23 AM by dayton » IP address Logged

“Life is like music for its own sake. We are living in an eternal now, and when we listen to music we are not listening to the past, we are not listening to the future, we are listening to an expanded present.” ― Alan W. Watts
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC