Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 07, 2024, 08:42:53 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  The Dead
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: The Dead  (Read 62693 times)
420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

shake it, shake it, Sugaree

URL icon « Reply #75 on: April 25, 2009, 12:58:32 PM »

I wanted to thank JJ for being a gentleman. Thank you. I'm embarrassed as hell right now, and eating some CROW, in my mind anyway. I deserve it. I put too much trust and value in these boys for way, way too many years. Then I elevate them to unrealistic levels without basis or facts. I'm Dead-ass guilty.

I have quoted Jerry here endlessly, as have many others. I'm a freak. I'm living in a time-warp. I still believe in the same core values I had back then. How could Bob & Mickey side with these people publicly - for years? I'm talking about Bush, Rumsfeld, Kissinger, Rockefellers, Haliburton, Bechtel, IMF, etc. Weir and Hart are camping, bunking and sleeping with these people - the enemy. Are these 2 idiots getting behind torture, illegal wars, and crimes against humanity? I was shocked by this news. Obama can't even decide about how to handle people who torture.

Look, waterboarding is when you fill someone's lungs up with water. Period. You fill up their lungs, more and more. It's called drowning. Nothing is simulated. This is torture - along with other brutal and "enhanced" techniques that are horrible. We have made countless new terrorists and enemies by lies, torture, illegal war and occupation, and endless corruption. Pakistan is imploding. We created the Taliban when we fought a counter-insurgency against the Soviets in Afghanistan. We also helped Saddam out when he invaded Iran in 1980. Countless millions of people are upset and pissed off. We are also facing severe climate change, along with a perpetual Ponzi scheme. How are we gonna do this?

ACLU is right now receiving new documentation and photos in a FOIA (freedom of info act) filing. The pics will be out any time. Claims are being speculated that these pics show a network of US torture by CIA. All over the place.

Vanity Fair's Alex Shoumatoff just published this 6-page expose about The Bohemian Grove.

Alex Shoumatoff - mug shot
arrested at Bohemian Grove
hiding behind redwood tree

The piece gets lost in old growth forest management issues, which are very important. But, it's too weak on the point of who The Bohemian Grove people are.

This letter to Bob Weir - July 1998 frames it in a broader context.

New Torture Photos Being Released - Huffington Post.
IP address Logged

Turn on your Lovelight... and leave it ON!
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #76 on: April 27, 2009, 02:50:22 PM »

"grateful dead miami 93"

Man! THAT was a great show. First show we took the kids to and they had a blast!

Auntie Hope  :festivarian2 :green
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
flyfishindave
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #77 on: April 27, 2009, 06:33:14 PM »

Sounds like the Dead blew the roof off the garden Saturday night...for any naysayers, please read below....

Saturday evening Jazzfest, NO, wasn't shabby neither! James Taylor delivered a soul wrenching performance, among others...

The Dead
Madison Square Garden
New York, New York
April 25, 2009
7:30 PM

Disc One/Set One:
Intro
Cosmic Charlie
China Cat
Shakedown Street
Ship of Fools
He's Gone
Cassidy
Sugaree

Drums/Space
Crypitical Envelopment
The Other One
Born Cross Eyed
St Stephen
The Eleven
Uncle John's Band
Unbroken Chain
Gimme Shelter
One More Saturday Night
Donor Rap
E: Brokedown Palace

The Band:
Phil Lesh
Bob Weir
Bill Kruetzman
Mickey Hart
Warren Haynes
Jeff Chimenti

Reviewer: G. Ganter - [5.0 out of 5 stars] - April 27, 2009
Subject: I'll meet you at the MSG
I went to this show with about 20 old Deadhead friends from the Vershire, VT high school and we danced behind stage just like the old days. One of my friends came out of this show saying it may have been one one of the best shows he had ever seen, Jerry or no. Regardless of whether it compares with pre-1995, it was a great concert. It's hard to please Deadheads who have seen a lot of old shows, but everyone I saw had a huge smile on their faces at the end of the night. It was a very moving experience for me to be with so many good friends, and be so blown away by the energy and focus at MSG. My first show was Cape Cod 79, and I've seen a lot of Phil, and Ratdog, and the 2003 Dead tour but was unprepared for how much they put out at this show.

Despite the nay-saying that Warren's-no-Jerry, I luckily caught a few shows on this tour and they seem to be self-consciously working on a group sound that doesn't rely on Warren's leads to carry every song. Sure, he shreds when he wants to (like the end of Sugaree) but he generally works on guitar support to let the rest of the band do cool stuff (check out that Mr. Charley, for ex., at Wilkes Barre--still gives me chills). It's not the guitar virtuouso approach like Jerry-era Dead, but wow, what color and enthusiasm and creativity. I love this stuff and they seem to be getting better every night.

And thanks Mr. Suraci--great recording, as usual.

Reviewer: mountaingypsy - [5.0 out of 5 stars] - April 27, 2009
Subject: MY FIRST SHOW!!! AND WOW!!!
I have been a GD fan forever, never saw a show till now..and boy did they spoil me!! There wasn't one song that wasn't fueled with passion..and Sugaree? well didn't want to stop dancin'!!! The energy level at this show was palpable and I think Jerry had a large part in that. Heaven was missin' an angel Saturday night cus he was with us at The Garden show!

Peace Love and Light to all!
MG

Reviewer: TheDeadAreAlive - [5.0 out of 5 stars] - April 27, 2009
Subject: can't stop smiling!
As another reviewer said below, the boys made NYC smile ear to ear all night long! I had my worries based on hearsay from earlier shows in the tour, but those worries evaporated as soon I heard the first notes of Shakedown Street following China Cat -- What A Treat! At that point everyone in the Garden knew we were going to get 110% of whatever energy and soul the band had to give.

IMHO, Bill and Mickey would get joint MVP if one were pressed to make such a call. They were inspired all night. They seemed to provide the band with the sure-footing it needed to jam and explore. And there was some exploring going on -- i.e. 10+ minutes for almost every 1st set song -- but it felt purposeful, like the band was committed to developing THESE songs with THESE members.

And holy sh*t can Warren sing! Whatever melody may have been lacking from his guitar at points was compensated for by his gospel-like singing, especially on Sugaree and He's Gone. I teared up for the whole 2nd half of He's Gone... MSG was filled with sad sweetness.

Being too young to have seen the Grateful Dead, I feel like tonight I got the genuine experience that history and circumstance otherwise would have robbed me of. Hope it's the first of many.

Oh, and keep singin' Phil!

Reviewer: M*rsh - [4.0 out of 5 stars] - April 27, 2009
Subject: IN & OUT OF THE GARDEN
As always, there was alotta speculation and wishing in regards to what tonight's opener would be. In my wildest imagination, I never expected COSMIC CHARLIE! Then the Jerry tunes kept rolling: CHINACAT > SHAKEDOWN (again, who'd of thunk?) SHIP OF FOOLS. HE'S GONE. I know full well that HE'S GONE was written with Mickey's father in mind, but in this mix, it was evident that everyone was thinking JERRY. I for one, got choked up & teary-eyed. Relief came from Bobby's old familiar opening note to CASSIDY. It was very well-played tonight. SUGAREE closed the set with Warren ad-libbing "Shake it Sugaree, I'll meet you at the MSG." KUDOS!
Anyone that visited the restrooms during the show can tell ya; the place was rockin' (literally! One could feel the floor swaying under thousands of dancing feet. Even Phil commented on it and was inspired by it for the choice of encore.)
If COSMIC CHARLIE wasn't enough of a portender for the night, opening the 2nd set with DRUMS should have made it obvious that we were in for quite a ride.
When Jerry was alive in this plane, there were alotta nay-sayers always complaining that "The Dead were better in the 60's." Now, we hear "It's not the same w/o Jerry." I agree, we collectively lost someone very important and no one could ever fill that void.
Tonight's 2nd set should have pleased the former nay-sayers. It was straight out of the early Grateful Dead setlists. Out of an all too-short DRUMS, we were treated to CRYPTICAL ENVELOPMENT > THE OTHER ONE > BORN CROSS-EYED >ST. STEPHEN > THE ELEVEN > UNCLE JOHN'S BAND > UNBROKEN CHAIN >GIMME SHELTER. ONE MORE SATURDAY NIGHT. I'm sure many Heads, like myself, were hoping for that St Stephen, as soon as Garden tickets landed in my hands. But who expected it to be gift-wrapped in such a retro-set. Repeats from Albany, last week: The Other One and Unbroken chain were played better tonight, as was Sugaree. I've never heard an UJB I didn't like (even Jimmy Buffett & Indigo Girls' covers). It's our anthem and my heartbeat. Tonight's version was no disappointment, with the fellas giving it back that old 70's flavor. And to hear Warren rip out my favorite Stones' tune was reminiscent of the first time I saw Bobby play Satisfaction in Hampton. Is there nothing these guys can't pull off?
Phil added some comments to his his DONOR RAP regarding the magyck of Madison Square Garden and NYC before we were serenaded with a BROKEDOWN PALACE encore. I thought they'd save that tune for The soon-to-be-demolished Spectrum next week, maybe we'll here it again.
I walked out of The Garden & into the city streets with a thought that is gonna bring me alotta criticism and probably cost me some friends: Tonight's show was better than SOME of the early 90's shows I went to. Let's be honest, kids... Those last few years were not good ones for Jerry. Even with the tele-prompters, he still got lost, forgot lyrics. The last time I saw him alive (The Knick '95), he did not look well. I love Jerry as much as the next Head (probably more). Even I can admit, his addictions got the better of him. Like so many other music icons, we lost our dear leader to the evils of society. Jerry just fought back harder & longer than the others were able to. "The trouble with you is the trouble with me, ya got 2 good eyes, but ya still don't see." (*sob*)

Reviewer: pyite74 - [4.0 out of 5 stars] - April 27, 2009
Subject: kudos to Tony Suraci
Thanks for your efforts! Nice sounding rig to boot!

Reviewer: keneebeck court - [5.0 out of 5 stars] - April 27, 2009
Subject: Yippeee Doooo Daaa Day
You never realize how much you miss something until they come back. WOW!!!!!!! I closed my eyes and it brought me back to the 80's when they used to to 3 or more at MSG in a row. Each show vastly different. The boys are sounding good and tight. Hopefully this will lead to a Summer tour of stadiums. Would love to see them at Gillette and the new Meadowlands. Thanks tapers and thankyou Phil and Bobby for mending your ways.

Reviewer: revjustin - [5.0 out of 5 stars] - April 27, 2009
Subject: This show owns it!
The boys are ON FIRE! Love it. Second set opener of Rhythm Devils > Cryptical > Other One must be heard to be believed. That was a good choice.

Rob is more prominent in the mix here, as well, which is nice, since he brings lot to the table. His solo in Sugaree is nice.

Reviewer: darazn1 - [4.0 out of 5 stars] - April 27, 2009
Subject: Getting better every day!
The band is getting tighter and tighter with every show.

Beginning to sound like a band capable of going out and doing some consistent touring. They are playing with originality, good ears, and lots of soul. Recreating the songs for the new band format is likewise a great move. Good music as far as I can tell.

Reviewer: OldSchoolJersey - [5.0 out of 5 stars] - April 27, 2009
Subject: Off...The...Hook
Firstly - thank you tapers.

Secondly -- IMHO this was one of the best Dead shows I have ever seen, with or without Jerry, since 1990. Certainly the best show at the Garden since '91.

Thirdly -- it's a shame I can't do the whole tour!

Reviewer: Harmony Koruption - [5.0 out of 5 stars] - April 27, 2009
Subject: oh wow!!! this MSG show was GREAT!
all i've heard this tour is a mass of bellyaching negatives about the band,the ticket prices,the lot scene...ect. this has never swayed my decision to attend. im there for the music. man,this show is just intense...you can hear more confidence in them here! more soul more heart...its like its all comming together and they are on fire! yeah man,bob is sounding way better then the start of the tour...but im thinking they are just workin' out the kinks...just playin and playin'and as always just getting better and better...all tour there has been great sets...i've heard some tunes i thought didnt have the energy it should but at this one...nothins' lacking...SEE YOU IN CHICAGO!

Reviewer: SobeHead - [5.0 out of 5 stars] - April 27, 2009
Subject: Happy to be @ MSG
WOW! What an amazing show! It was my first time seeing the Dead at MSG and i was totally blown away! The vibe was really great, lots of true heads at the show, every song was a singalong and i really felt at home among the family of fans. Every person i met at the show was special and it really made me want to stay on the bus and keep trucking through the rest of the dates. I think this show was definitely a highlight of the tour so far and in the end may prove to be one of the best if not the best show of the tour. He's Gone was happy and sad at the same time, the drums/space track was really great it reminded me of the good old days my only complaint is that it wasn't longer, St. Stephen was dead on, and they really rocked the joint with One More Saturday Night. This recording is top quality, it really captures the energy of the show. Thanks to those who made it possible and I'll see you at ROTHBURY!!!

Reviewer: Here & Now - [5.0 out of 5 stars] - April 27, 2009
Subject: Best show of the tour so far!
Im my opinion, This is the best show of the tour so far. Greensboro was close. With a great setlist and excited energy inside and out but I have to say MSG F---ing rocks! A triple threat!
Venue/Show Energy, Setlist, & Sound. A+.
Thanks again to the tapers. You all are deadicated and awesome!
Please guys keep on truckin and do a fall tour.

Happy Head!!!

Reviewer: guy in fiji - [5.0 out of 5 stars] - April 27, 2009
Subject: The greatest so far...
It's been an emotional few weeks for me being so far from my favorite band's resurgence. On paper, these sets are so beautiful and the kind of stuff which would get any head excited.

This MSG show was bleeding energy even before I heard these tapes...following along with the various twitter feeds from that evening, I could tell something special was going on.

The tapes from this show are just so sweet and big respects to all the tapers providing this service. This Sugaree was one of the finest I've ever heard. What an energy this band is showing right now. The entire show rocked and I'm just so thankful to be able to listen.

To all attending these shows, you'll never have any idea how envious I am. Enjoy your rides...

Reviewer: Skippy61 - [5.0 out of 5 stars] - April 27, 2009
Subject: WOW tapers you ssooooo ROCK
Once again my review is split on the wonder that this Band is capable of it's making me smile a ton at each show...MAN. Was it like this back in the DAY?? I was already on the bus but this shit makes me rear back and howl!! If a person had never heard a Dead show this would be a grate first one i think.
I can hardly keep the smile off my face as I am listening to He's Gone and the crowd singing along making the magic as Phil is wont to say... ok yes I am singing too :)

Thank you tapers you are doing a great thing that maybe society at large doesn't respect but to us DeadHeads you people are HEROS, keepers of the sacred fires, watchmen on the Wall. Epic acts
of courage,getting the equipent ,huge expense, I would think,going early to set up, getting it all together and uploaded in DAYS maybe even from the ROAD!!! THANK YOU from my DeadHead heart

PEACE:SKippy

Reviewer: BataviaSparky - [4.0 out of 5 stars] - April 27, 2009
Subject: I am a changed man.
Goodness gracious. I was NOT there but I just finished listening through headphones to the entire show front to back. That should tell you something right there. The energy compares to the Chicago Bulls' team energy in today's huge win over the Celtics in 2OT (I WAS at that show and I'm still pumped 6 hours later!) Back to the show- Sugaree rocks OUT! Superb Jeff lead! He reminds me of Brent- I am really digging his playing! The drums to open Set2 is unique as hell- sounds like f'ing Shpongle! Seriously! The Cryptical is deliciously weird- damn good! Look at all the exclamation marks! I JUST CAN'T GET OVER WHAT I HAVE JUST WITNESSED WITH MY EARS. The two Chicago shows just became can't-miss for me. St Stephen sounds jazzy like 6/9/76 so,so, hot! Gimme Shelter rocks. Did I mention Sugaree? Wow. Man. I'm blown away. BTW- I TORE UP the 3-30 show in my review- justified IMO- this just is not the same band.

Reviewer: Loser_Boy - [5.0 out of 5 stars] - April 27, 2009
Subject: thanks for the magic
probably like looking through the hubble telescope eh taper? awesome

Reviewer: SJD_Debo - [5.0 out of 5 stars] - April 27, 2009
Subject: Thanks!!!
Thanks Tony for your effort and adding yet another fine recording to the archive.

Reviewer: Gr8tefloyd - [5.0 out of 5 stars] - April 27, 2009
Subject: Jerry would be proud...
Let's face it folks, The Dead are not the Grateful Dead...but a 3 hour and 45 minute show of amazing Dead tunes cannot be beat at the Garden.

In all my years at MSG as a concert goer, I have never experienced such a packed house. The aisles turned to standing room. The crowd gets first thumbs up, energetic and involved, I even saw a security guard smile as he hit a giant floating balloon.

As for the music, set 1 was outstanding, China Cat, play me one note and I am happy, play for over 11 minutes I am happier.
Shakedown-Ship of Fools-He's Gone...like Ewing having a triple double in the playoffs, the crowd responded accordingly. Imagine 20,000 deadheads singing "oooooo...nothing's gonna bring him back...." If I were the Academy, He's Gone would get the Oscar for "Best Song of the Night"
Jerry would be proud.

Even the drums, which we sat roughgly 20 feet from Mickey, was a different experience. Sounds like a Floyd show at first, built into a percussion parade. My right ear is still recovering.

Rather than rave about every song for Set 2 (minus Phil's voice) Set 2 was solid.

I think the overall highlight was St. Stephen. With a 20 minute lull, hearing the opening riff was a much needed burst of energy. Once the band joined....well...Jerry would be proud.

Gimme Shelter, gimme 8 minutes of a great cover.

Ending on a sad note, the final bow was truly a pinnacle moment for the remaining members of the Grateful Dead. Even with a slight sweat, I had chills, as did most people who might never see these guys again.
They came to rock MSG, they came to give us a taste of the music we all love, they came to honor Jerry, they came to prove that the music has and will never stop...

Now Playing icon Listening to: MSG The Dead 4.25.09
IP address Logged

The secret is to surrender to the flow
Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #78 on: April 27, 2009, 10:59:31 PM »

Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap kiss kiss 
They put words to the feeling in my heart.  THAT's what I'm talking about! Thumbs Up
 Band
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 11:35:04 PM by Cindy Lou » IP address Logged

"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing. "  (Shunryu Suzuki)
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #79 on: April 29, 2009, 12:01:50 PM »

I am looking forward to the Dead in Denver.  I want to be free of preconceptions as I walk in, I will ride the music. 

Now Playing icon Listening to: Gretchen Peters
IP address Logged
dayton
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

instagram.com/ashevilledayton

URL icon « Reply #80 on: April 29, 2009, 01:02:26 PM »

only about one more week till denver right?

heres the setlist from last night
yet another one i cant wait to see on the lma!

4/28/09 e.Rutherford, NJ
(Set 1)
U.S. Blues
Scarlet Begonias
Fire On The Mountain (w/ Branford Marsalis)
Birdsong
Feel Like A Stranger
High Time
Turn On Your Love Light

(Set 2)
New Potato Caboose
Estimated Prophet
Milestones
Dear Mr. Fantasy
Dark Star
Eyes Of The World

(Encore)
Franklin's Tower

thats so sweet branford marsalis came out! and seems like they were all over the dead repitoire with everything from potato caboose to dear mr. fanatasy, and an encore with franklin's tower. that had to have some powerful energy behind it..... i think branford is playing with them again tonight.....

Now Playing icon Listening to: jeff austin and chris castino
IP address Logged

“Life is like music for its own sake. We are living in an eternal now, and when we listen to music we are not listening to the past, we are not listening to the future, we are listening to an expanded present.” ― Alan W. Watts
420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

shake it, shake it, Sugaree

URL icon « Reply #81 on: April 29, 2009, 01:19:44 PM »

hey, just in case you all need any extra info on Dead tix for Denver & Chicago

Chicago CraigsList search yields 250 hits for Dead, or ads for tix. Most of them are Dead tix for All State Arena, May 5.

Denver CraigsList search yields 270 hits for Dead, or ads for tix. Most of them are Dead tix for The Pepsi Center, May 7.

Maybe this will help. Beware of scams and phishing.
IP address Logged

Turn on your Lovelight... and leave it ON!
dayton
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

instagram.com/ashevilledayton

URL icon « Reply #82 on: April 29, 2009, 05:13:15 PM »

and hey flyfishingdave here's a good link for the dead from the garden
the sugaree is niiiiiiiiccccccccccccccceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee  Lil hombre (i just like the mexican cigar fellow)

http://www.archive.org/details/thedead2009-04-25.krall.flac16

Now Playing icon Listening to: dead at the garden - 4/25/09
IP address Logged

“Life is like music for its own sake. We are living in an eternal now, and when we listen to music we are not listening to the past, we are not listening to the future, we are listening to an expanded present.” ― Alan W. Watts
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #83 on: May 07, 2009, 08:38:57 AM »

I'm off to see some music over the mountains Cheers Don't know what it will be, but I think it will feel just fine.  The adventure is off to a fine start, fed the birds, dog, cats and myself, got to water plants , think about LOST and time travel, check the oracle, listen to Dylan's latest, clean the kitchen and pack a toothbrush and a few other items, play a tune or two before my ride arrives and be off.
I remember going to see GD many years ago at McNichols, after the concert, we drove to Salida, slept on the ground, got up at dawn, drove to Montrose, picked up a river raft, drove to Grand Junction, packed the rest of the river gear, drove to Brown's Park, unloaded everything, drove to Utah and parked the vehicles, drove  back to Brown's Park, slept, got up at dawn, and floated through the Gates of Ladore.  Sadly, I can't remember which year that was, because I wonder what we heard at the concert.  I felt great at the end of the trip, not too tired at all, just row row row Jimmy row.
The birds are singing, lilacs blooming, feels pretty right with the world, ...Eyes of the world...Ears of the world, eating the sun is one way of looking at it.

Now Playing icon Listening to: nothing, yet
IP address Logged
flyfishindave
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #84 on: May 09, 2009, 06:03:13 AM »

Wave

Thanks for the link, i already had the MSG show downloaded, and you're right, that's a great Sugaree. 

So the Dead in Denver have come and gone and i for one had a great afternoon (fantastic weather) at Brooklyn's listening to the Dead while cocktailing...inside the can there was great energy where we were stationed.  Lots of slower tempo, beautiful sing a long songs.  I got my Crazy Fingers which just does it for me every time; enjoy a Stranger to open a show, Loser, always a treat; love Lost Sailor, thought they delivered a great rendition; so good to get a Deep Elem Blues & Whiskey in the Jar...King Solomon's Marbles (sewn up tight!)...China Doll, another one of my favorites, and Cumberland to prep me for Tride...oh yeah, Ripple to send us out.  Not shabby...i've read the full spectrum of opinions re:this show and appreciate each person's perspective...all i noticed were happy, smiling faces...

Now Playing icon Listening to: Crazy Fingers 5.7.09 Pepsi Center
IP address Logged

The secret is to surrender to the flow
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #85 on: May 09, 2009, 10:16:43 AM »

Wave

Thanks for the link, i already had the MSG show downloaded, and you're right, that's a great Sugaree. 

So the Dead in Denver have come and gone and i for one had a great afternoon (fantastic weather) at Brooklyn's listening to the Dead while cocktailing...inside the can there was great energy where we were stationed.  Lots of slower tempo, beautiful sing a long songs.  I got my Crazy Fingers which just does it for me every time; enjoy a Stranger to open a show, Loser, always a treat; love Lost Sailor, thought they delivered a great rendition; so good to get a Deep Elem Blues & Whiskey in the Jar...King Solomon's Marbles (sewn up tight!)...China Doll, another one of my favorites, and Cumberland to prep me for Tride...oh yeah, Ripple to send us out.  Not shabby...i've read the full spectrum of opinions re:this show and appreciate each person's perspective...all i noticed were happy, smiling faces...

We drove through the mountains, climbed back into early spring, and snowy mountains lining the road.  I walked through the parking lot, but I had a mission, for the recorded sound, in advance.  I thought of all the different things I have read and written about music and sound, not to mention all I have heard and read about the political and social nature of the culture and the society we just watched slip on an economic banana.
Lost sailor is flowing through Saint and I am enjoying it as much as I recall Thursday.  Remembering and nostalgia are a part of our experience. Without memory, you are whisked along in the present, but there is nothing to anchor you, and hearing something new; sounds that are interesting, exciting, different,leaves you with no anchor, either, so we like the familiar.  To be in the present, not caught up in that state of mind of where you would like to be, or want to be,(Somewhere else?), the hardest place to live is in the present, and that is the only place we live.  That is one reason I like music, as art, the more you pay attention, the neater it gets, if it is "good" art.
Loud and soft, fast and slow,simple, complex, logical emotional magical.  I mostly fall short of experiencing music to the extreme, that is why I go to TBF, to get a good dose of reality of art as music is the soundtrack of my life.  Actually sound is the soundtrack of my life, and just as we choose to see Art when Art is present, as opposed to taking in every view as art, from the daily to the monthly, yearly experience of the present as Art, science, Soulful, and Spiritual.
So where do we spend time?..., being happy, listening to music, enjoying ourselves,  Doing things in the daily world, and carry some of the art with me.  I like it when music makes my day go better, and days go better with music.  I think I am primed to see the solstice in music, listen to songs old and new and letting me feel it, even if it stretches the way I regard music in the moment.  "It's All Good"  Says Bob Dylan.  I'll listen to a wide range of music for the next month, drinking it in. Working on the experience of being present.
Apparently, a Mr. Hunter and the aforesaid Bob, collaborated.  I'll listen to the second cd of the Dead later today, as I do the things I have to do, chores.  Is work just another chore?  I had a wonderful time listening to the Dead, but I knew in some way at least, all of the songs, the sounds of space, drums and Ripple allowed to be new, and odd.

Now Playing icon Listening to: Lost Sailor 5/7/9
IP address Logged
gipper0324
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

<click!>

URL icon « Reply #86 on: May 09, 2009, 09:18:30 PM »

Here are a few videos I took at the Pepsi Center:

Feels Like Stranger
Me and My Uncle
Ripple

NOTE: Picture isn't top-quality, but the sound is pretty good for a point-n-shoot!
Enjoy!  Wave
IP address Logged

"He's only gone crazy once. Decided to stay." - Townes Van Zandt
Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #87 on: May 10, 2009, 06:00:55 PM »

So Jen, what did ya think about your first Dead show?  I had a GREAT time, knew I would, and it was fun seeing you outside before the show.  Loved the 2nd set acoustic opening, and singing Happy Birthday to Billy was pretty cool.   A lot of folks didn't know it was his birthday and didn't pick up on the melody at first, but I could hear it on the first notes.  I was listening to Steppin out with the Dead on the drive up, a show from their '72 tour, and at one point in the show they stop to wish their drummer, Billy, and happy birthday and sing, and then it was his birthday again!  How fun is that? 37 years later and goin' strong.
IP address Logged

"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing. "  (Shunryu Suzuki)
Hot Sugar
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

Camp Run a Muck

URL icon « Reply #88 on: May 12, 2009, 02:27:51 PM »

Less then a week away from The Gorge!!!!!!
IP address Logged

"That spells clever not cleaver."
gipper0324
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

<click!>

URL icon « Reply #89 on: May 13, 2009, 06:09:17 AM »

So Jen, what did ya think about your first Dead show?  I had a GREAT time, knew I would, and it was fun seeing you outside before the show.  Loved the 2nd set acoustic opening, and singing Happy Birthday to Billy was pretty cool.   A lot of folks didn't know it was his birthday and didn't pick up on the melody at first, but I could hear it on the first notes.  I was listening to Steppin out with the Dead on the drive up, a show from their '72 tour, and at one point in the show they stop to wish their drummer, Billy, and happy birthday and sing, and then it was his birthday again!  How fun is that? 37 years later and goin' strong.

Cindy Lou! It was great seeing you in Denver!! I am so glad you and Terri Ann made it up. Loved the parking lot scene. Too cool. And the show was incredible, wasn't it? At least this Dead newbie thought so!! That is so funny about the birthday-song... you heard it twice!

Let's hook up at Get Enough and blather all about it over a few ice-chilled Tecates, shall we? Only a few weeks to wait, now!! Oh, the anticipation!!  Clap

Time for another cup o'joe and a bit of Dead this early a.m.  Coffee
IP address Logged

"He's only gone crazy once. Decided to stay." - Townes Van Zandt
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC