Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 10:13:26 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  for Hooch the bacon king
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 50 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: for Hooch the bacon king  (Read 403321 times)
Flagstaff Jess
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

Seize the Cocktail!

URL icon « Reply #420 on: January 08, 2009, 12:35:19 PM »

While it may be old hat to many of the afficiandos in our ranks, here's a little something to cheer you in these rough, troubled bacon times Hooch...

"More Ways To Consume That Heavenly Food - The fourth annual Big Tex Choice award for best taste this year (at a precursor event to September's Texas State Fair) went to Glen Kusak's chicken-fried bacon. Earlier in the summer, fourth generation candy maker Joseph Marini introduced chocolate covered bacon bon-bons at his stand on California's Santa Cruz Boardwalk. For the more sophisticated, restauranteur Don Yovicsin of Waltham, MA serves bacon-infused Absolut vodka (allowed to sit for four weeks' time and then filtered of the bits). For a Bacon Bloody Mary - add mix, a lime wedge, "barbeque rub" and a Slim Jim."

This "collected from the mainstream press by Chuck Sheperd for "News of the Weird" and printed in The Funny Times (a very humorous publication by the way)...

I made bacon wrapped chicken breasts last weekend that were quite tasty.  I have deep fried bacon in the past.  This has me thinking though about making a thick beer batter and coating the bacon first before deep frying.....

hmmmmm
IP address Logged

Begin doing what you want to do now.  We are not living in eternity.  We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand and melting like a snowflake.  Let us use it before it is too late.   - Marie Bevon Ray
Hooch
...is kind of a big deal

Festivation rating 420

Freak Of The Rainbow Pork Lover

URL icon « Reply #421 on: January 09, 2009, 02:05:12 PM »

While it may be old hat to many of the afficiandos in our ranks, here's a little something to cheer you in these rough, troubled bacon times Hooch...

"More Ways To Consume That Heavenly Food - The fourth annual Big Tex Choice award for best taste this year (at a precursor event to September's Texas State Fair) went to Glen Kusak's chicken-fried bacon. Earlier in the summer, fourth generation candy maker Joseph Marini introduced chocolate covered bacon bon-bons at his stand on California's Santa Cruz Boardwalk. For the more sophisticated, restauranteur Don Yovicsin of Waltham, MA serves bacon-infused Absolut vodka (allowed to sit for four weeks' time and then filtered of the bits). For a Bacon Bloody Mary - add mix, a lime wedge, "barbeque rub" and a Slim Jim."

This "collected from the mainstream press by Chuck Sheperd for "News of the Weird" and printed in The Funny Times (a very humorous publication by the way)...

I made bacon wrapped chicken breasts last weekend that were quite tasty.  I have deep fried bacon in the past.  This has me thinking though about making a thick beer batter and coating the bacon first before deep frying.....

hmmmmm

Hey, can you email me the exact recipe you told me about?  You listed about 87 different ingredients (I remember Paprika) but sort of lost the rest in my head somewhere.  I think behind the blocked off part of my memory involving the alien abduction.
IP address Logged

"There is nothing in the universe more exciting than a piece of bacon."

-Dan Phillips
Flagstaff Jess
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

Seize the Cocktail!

URL icon « Reply #422 on: January 11, 2009, 02:34:10 PM »

hmmmmm

Hey, can you email me the exact recipe you told me about?  You listed about 87 different ingredients (I remember Paprika) but sort of lost the rest in my head somewhere.  I think behind the blocked off part of my memory involving the alien abduction.

Well it was one of those make it up as you go along things.  But I took boneless, skinless chicken breasts rubbed them with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic and cumin, then smeared the tops with spicy mustard.  In this case Janet had a jar of Cherry Habanero Mustard that she got in Durango.  The brand name is San Juan Mountain.  Yummy stuff.  Then I wrapped raw strips of bacon tightly around the chicken breasts and baked them in the over at 350 for 45 minutes.  Turned the broiler on for five minutes to crisp up the bacon and...

Voila

Succulent, spicy-sweet bacon chicken.  The chicken was REALLY juicy.  I am sure they would do really well on the grill too.  I'll make this one night next year at Fishbone for dinner.  Also gonna bring the deep fryer.  Lord only knows what I will produce with that thing!

Now Playing icon Listening to: Janet blow dry her hair
IP address Logged

Begin doing what you want to do now.  We are not living in eternity.  We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand and melting like a snowflake.  Let us use it before it is too late.   - Marie Bevon Ray
ilovethelorax
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #423 on: January 11, 2009, 10:34:42 PM »

... I'll make this one night next year at Fishbone for dinner... 

Hallelujah!

Now Playing icon Listening to: golden globes
IP address Logged

I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music. It seems to infuse strength into my limbs and ideas into my brain. Life seems to go on without effort, when I am filled with music.

George Eliot (1819-1880)
Flagstaff Jess
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

Seize the Cocktail!

URL icon « Reply #424 on: January 11, 2009, 11:34:16 PM »

Hallelujah!

I am so excited!  We have to have a turkey fry night too.  We can take like 4 or 5 turkey breasts and inject them with different succulent marinades.  In between turkeys we can find other things to fry - like bacon!  Our imaginations can just run wild...

But one morning...we are making beignets for breakfast.  I will bring the mix and we will whip them up!

Can't wait!

ooo, I am also bringing a two person inflatible kayak.  We can day float the river.  You and Pete can put Sam in the middle and paddle between Fishbone and the bridge...or we can tie it to shore with a long line, climb in, drift in the stream and nap
IP address Logged

landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

3 chord's and a story that's me

URL icon « Reply #425 on: January 12, 2009, 08:21:15 AM »

Wave Ohhh goody Jess , I will finally get to meet you lil' sista.... Cheers

« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 08:23:13 AM by landshark » IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
Debbiefromtucson
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #426 on: January 12, 2009, 08:32:14 AM »

Hallelujah!

I am so excited!  We have to have a turkey fry night too.  We can take like 4 or 5 turkey breasts and inject them with different succulent marinades.  In between turkeys we can find other things to fry - like bacon!  Our imaginations can just run wild...

But one morning...we are making beignets for breakfast.  I will bring the mix and we will whip them up!

WOW, I'm jealous and drooling..... Can we be considered an annex??? Cheers.   We will have an extra turkey frying rig handy if needed.
IP address Logged

Debbie from Tucson
ilovethelorax
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #427 on: January 12, 2009, 11:06:54 AM »

Hallelujah!

Can't wait!

ooo, I am also bringing a two person inflatible kayak.  We can day float the river.  You and Pete can put Sam in the middle and paddle between Fishbone and the bridge...or we can tie it to shore with a long line, climb in, drift in the stream and nap

Jess, really, you must stop. Now you've gone and made me go all pavlov over beignets and I can already hear the river's song and we've just gone over the halfway hump. I'll never last.

Of course this goes without saying but have a fabulous time perfecting your recipe in the motherland. I'm jealous but love the vision I have of your mug all jazzed up and covered with powdered sugar.

Did you get to sample James' sopapillas that year Debbie? Oh... they rocked!

Now Playing icon Listening to: OPB radio show regarding proposed new wilderness areas for us all. Tell your senators now if you love it!
IP address Logged

I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music. It seems to infuse strength into my limbs and ideas into my brain. Life seems to go on without effort, when I am filled with music.

George Eliot (1819-1880)
Ron N Deb
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #428 on: January 12, 2009, 11:25:59 AM »

Looks Like our Little Island is gonna be rocking for food stuff
Im Bringing the Grill,Plowdish,Smoker,and the Fryer !!
now to plan the food ..lets see Bacon , Bacon , Bacon
there think we are covered !
 Cheers
IP address Logged

Peace N Love
Ron N Deb
Flagstaff Jess
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

Seize the Cocktail!

URL icon « Reply #429 on: January 12, 2009, 12:51:20 PM »

Hallelujah!

Can't wait!

Jess, really, you must stop. Now you've gone and made me go all pavlov over beignets and I can already hear the river's song and we've just gone over the halfway hump. I'll never last.

Of course this goes without saying but have a fabulous time perfecting your recipe in the motherland. I'm jealous but love the vision I have of your mug all jazzed up and covered with powdered sugar.

When I was in New Orleans last summer I took myself out for coffee and beignets one afternoon.  It was stupid what I did to myself.  There was powder sugar everywhere.  You know it isn't a beignet if there isn't 3 lbs of powdered sugar on it.

I think beignets are probably best eaten naked.  Otherwise the oil and sugar just sticks to your clothes in the worst way and you look untidy.  They should just let you strip down, eat your beignets naked and then have a hose off station where you can clean up and then get dressed again.  I'll add that to the suggestion box when I return to the Big Easy this spring.
IP address Logged

Hooch
...is kind of a big deal

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #430 on: January 12, 2009, 12:54:47 PM »

Looks Like our Little Island is gonna be rocking for food stuff
Im Bringing the Grill,Plowdish,Smoker,and the Fryer !!
now to plan the food ..lets see Bacon , Bacon , Bacon
there think we are covered !
 Cheers
Also, I will bring bacon, backup bacon, and emergency backup bacon.  Just in case.  Maybe this will be the year that TBF is sponsored by bacon.  A bacon booth giving out free bacon samples right next door to the Keen shoes tent.  I love Keen shoes too, by the way.  
IP address Logged

-Dan Phillips
Hooch
...is kind of a big deal

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #431 on: January 12, 2009, 12:56:59 PM »

Hallelujah!

Can't wait!

When I was in New Orleans last summer I took myself out for coffee and beignets one afternoon.  It was stupid what I did to myself.  There was powder sugar everywhere.  You know it isn't a beignet if there isn't 3 lbs of powdered sugar on it.

I think beignets are probably best eaten naked.  Otherwise the oil and sugar just sticks to your clothes in the worst way and you look untidy.  They should just let you strip down, eat your beignets naked and then have a hose off station where you can clean up and then get dressed again.  I'll add that to the suggestion box when I return to the Big Easy this spring.

Yay!  We are back to talking about nakedness!
IP address Logged

-Dan Phillips
ilovethelorax
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #432 on: January 12, 2009, 01:05:40 PM »

Hallelujah!

Can't wait!

...I think beignets are probably best eaten naked.  Otherwise the oil and sugar just sticks to your clothes in the worst way and you look untidy.  They should just let you strip down, eat your beignets naked and then have a hose off station where you can clean up and then get dressed again.  I'll add that to the suggestion box when I return to the Big Easy this spring.

This could explain why those little bits of devilish goodness (hmm...is that a non-sequitur?) haven't made it further north, out of the Big Easy. Louisiana is a blue state after all...

And how about some gator bites sauteed with bacon? You could even eat them naked. (There back on topic...)

IP address Logged

George Eliot (1819-1880)
Ron N Deb
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #433 on: January 12, 2009, 01:42:52 PM »

Did I meantion I love all you beutifull
naked eaters !!
The world would be such a wonderful place
if the just followed our Lead!~!
 Cheers
 :pig :peace

sidenote To The Mayor aka God of smileys
we need a nekad smiley ....lol
 Cheers
IP address Logged

Peace N Love
Ron N Deb
Ron N Deb
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #434 on: January 12, 2009, 01:48:29 PM »

Hmmmm I just had a Idea ( yep I just smelled smoke)
Bacon Party at Orvis !!!
 Cheers
IP address Logged

Peace N Love
Ron N Deb
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 50 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC