Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 11:39:37 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Buying a banjo
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Buying a banjo  (Read 6053 times)
howopeeps

Festivation rating 0

URL icon « on: December 12, 2010, 12:54:14 PM »

I am looking at getting a new banjo in the $500-700 range and recommendations??
IP address Logged
TheBanjomatic
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 02:56:45 PM »

I've always been partial to the Deering Goodtime 2 as a starter banjo. The playability and sound are pretty good for the price.
IP address Logged

If a banjo player picks in the woods, and no one is there to hear him.... is he still making an awful lot of noise?
jlampe
Kinda digging this festival thing...

Festivation rating 10

URL icon « Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 06:34:26 PM »

I have the Deering GoodTime banjo, and it is a great beginner banjo.  I've tried out other ones, but they don't sound as nice and they don't stay in tune.   One thing that is a huge hassle is if your banjo is hard to tune.  Good luck!  I got mine at rocky grass and have played every day since :-)
IP address Logged
Pen
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 08:04:08 AM »

My banjo playing buddy swears by Gold Tone's and a used one should be in your price range.  +1 for Deering's as well.

Of course, you could buy a miniature chalk board and grow out your finger nails to drag across it for much cheaper.

KIDDING!!! LOL LOL
IP address Logged

"How many of you folks have seen that movie "O Brother, Where Ya At?"--Ralph Stanley
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 06:59:42 PM »

My banjo playing buddy swears by Gold Tone's and a used one should be in your price range.  +1 for Deering's as well.

Of course, you could buy a miniature chalk board and grow out your finger nails to drag across it for much cheaper.

KIDDING!!! LOL LOL

Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 09:37:11 PM »

I have the Deering GoodTime banjo, and it is a great beginner banjo.  I've tried out other ones, but they don't sound as nice and they don't stay in tune.   One thing that is a huge hassle is if your banjo is hard to tune.  Good luck!  I got mine at rocky grass and have played every day since :-)

You mean they tune those things? 
IP address Logged

"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing. "  (Shunryu Suzuki)
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 10:29:04 PM »

Ok, so Earl Scruggs fell, some years ago, walking to his tour bus. One of the guys in the band talked to him at the hospital via phone. All was well with Earl, but he asked about his banjo. The band member ran and grabbed the banjo and reported to Earl that the banjo was ok, and in fact, still in tune. Earl replied....

"well, that must have happened when I dropped the thing."  LOL LOL LOL

Auntie Hope  :festivarian2 :green
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
TheBanjomatic
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 02:08:02 PM »

Ok, so Earl Scruggs fell, some years ago, walking to his tour bus. One of the guys in the band talked to him at the hospital via phone. All was well with Earl, but he asked about his banjo. The band member ran and grabbed the banjo and reported to Earl that the banjo was ok, and in fact, still in tune. Earl replied....

"well, that must have happened when I dropped the thing."  LOL LOL LOL

Auntie Hope  :festivarian2 :green
LOL LOL LOL LOL Cheers
IP address Logged

If a banjo player picks in the woods, and no one is there to hear him.... is he still making an awful lot of noise?
Pages: [1] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC