Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 11:24:02 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Rough Day at a Festival
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Rough Day at a Festival  (Read 9854 times)
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « on: August 17, 2010, 09:47:02 AM »

Sitting quietly at our Festival camp, in a far corner, near a stream, eating breakfast, enjoying the morning birds, ignoring the traffic on the nearby highway and the Festivarians filling the entrance to the venue, we are interrupted by a splashing sound coming from the water.  a wild-eyed, bearded man, dripping as he slips and staggers out of the water, stumbling to his knees and holding what looks like a bottle of clear liquid, almost sparkling in the morning sun, holding it upright and not spilling a drop, even as he slips again, but he gets to his feet, and staggers forward.
   It is then that I notice he lacks a boot on one foot, and his shirt is torn and there are scratches on his face.  I start to move toward him, but he steps forward toward us and slips again, grabbing the pole holding our shade, and falls forward, taking the shade down with him.  He doesn't hit the ground because he is stopped by the camp table, and he rolls to the side and flips the other table with the coffee pot on him, and he spins away, catching a tent pole and he takes down the tent, all the while, holding the bottle aloft and not spilling a drop, he continues to roll, stepping forward and slipping on the tarp that the tarp-runner has folded just-so.  He uses the bottle as a brace and lurches onward, into another tent, popping poles, loosening tent pegs, and diving headlong into our neighbor's camp, a camp trailer, dislodging the pilings that make it level, and sending it on its way down the gentle incline toward the creek.
   I hear a voice from inside the trailer,  "Charlie?"
   "Whoa!" from our intrusive visitor, but he isn't talking about the trailer, he has crashed into the next series of tents, popping guy lines and tent pegs, as he bounces back and forth, now dragging a shade tarp and catching another set of lines, he crashes into another and tries to steady himself on a van with an open door.  I see a head peek out as the van tips on the slope of the meadow and over it goes, with a crash of pots and pans, plates and silverware making a huge crash, and the whole thing is covered by a shade tarp.
  I am stunned, as you can imagine, thinking it is over, but for the recovery, and I hear the trailer splash into the creek.  A voice from the trailer is loud enough to be heard.  "Charlie?", Actually much louder, almost a scream, and again, "Charlie!" huh

Now Playing icon Listening to: "Charlie!!??"
IP address Logged
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

3 chord's and a story that's me

URL icon « Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 10:04:11 AM »

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL Chuck! LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL Medal

Very funny ..... Evil
IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 10:22:26 AM »

You can imagine..., or maybe you can't imagine.  I really thought it was over, but, when I looked to the tipped over van, I see a hand , clutching a bottle, glistening in the sun, extending from a tarp that seems to be shivering and shaking, then it pops up and begins its journey forward, leaving the van opening gaping to the sky and a head sticks out and a loud voice,  "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"
   The tarp answers, "I'm cool, dude, really." and the tarp, still attached to a stake, stays behind as the Mystery Man heads further into the campground.
  I must admit I felt stunned, as I glanced down and noticed my Thesaurus and dictionary, both had taken the brunt of the coffee, and pages had been torn from them, perhaps by our unwanted guest as he slipped and slid through our camp.  Shocked, I surveyed the damage, turning slowly, taking in a swath of destruction that as I looked, was in no danger of stopping.
   Passing through a narrow channel between tents, he is freeing stakes and lines, hanging up momentarily on a guy line for more shade and falling backwards into a tent, folding it in on itself, but he is bounced up immediately as someone inside pushes him out into a narrow road.
   He has two tarps, following behind, one line wrapped around his shoulder and another caught on the booted foot.  "I'm okay."  I hear him say and I decide its time to follow, avoiding as much as I can the carnage in his wake.
   There is a car with a pop-up camper/trailer stopped in the road and three people are standing at the back end of the trailer, surveying the intersection of trailer and tent.  I am able to see them from the front end of the car as they are on the passenger side, talking.  "Wait!"  I yell, but, I am too late.
   The bottle is held high and the line attached to the tarp has reached its limit..., and our man tips headlong into the open window of the driver's side of the car, initiating movement.  He must have shifted it into gear, I thought, correctly.  Reverse.
  The trailer rolls into and over the tent, and continues taking another tent and just manages to build enough momentum to take a shove at a newly set trailer into the stream, a bit upstream from the initial debacle.  All the while, the driver is screaming and pounding on the closed passenger window as the car takes its slow jaunt down to the river.
   "Hey, man."  We meet eye to eye, my eyes must have been the size of saucers, as were his, but I doubt we were mirror images of each other.  He had more scratches, but the bottle is the prize in his eyes and he glances at it, looks at me and says,  "Still okay."

Now Playing icon Listening to: Still okay
IP address Logged
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 10:53:09 AM »

I don't think I was alone as the only observer, but, I could be wrong.
   He had a half-smile on his face as he turned and with a few steps took out the trash barrels and then the port-o-potties, like dominos they fell, and he disappeared, almost into the sea of tents, heading in the general direction of the front gate.
   I should have stayed to rescue the screaming voice from one of the toilets, but I could see others coming to his aid, and I heard a crash coming from further in the campground.  Luckily, his path was easy to follow, tents uprooted, shade, and easy-ups, bent and twisted, crashing noises as entire campsites were laid to waste.  He took out a series of shade tarps and the attending kitchens and party supplies, a beer can rolled my way from an open cooler laying on its side.  I took that as an omen and picked it up. It opened with a gentle pop and I drained it with a few gulps to fortify my foray into the cataclysm.
   He held his bottle high, again dragging a tent and tarps.  He seemed to be gaining strength, as there were more tarps with the stakes attached and I watched as a small tent get caught as a tarp ran under it, carrying it along.
   Crashing into cooler, boxes of food, stoves and shaking trees, he headed toward the gate, cries and shouts and people screaming, followed in his wake.  He seemed to be oblivious to what damage had ensued.  What was the elixir in the bottle that he held so high?  I could only guess, but a sip might get me high, I just sighed.

Now Playing icon Listening to: my sigh
IP address Logged
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 11:09:03 AM »

but the bottle is the prize in his eyes and he glances at it, looks at me and says,  "Still okay."

I think I met this guy at many fests before. From now on I'm callin em Chuck... Flower
IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
TellurideTom
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 426

URL icon « Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 11:19:26 AM »

Anyone that leaves a path of destruction like this guy needs to be held by the boys in blue. EEK!
IP address Logged

Happy Trails....Wave

You can check out my Domain site or follow me on Facebook
UselessJo
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 01:29:39 PM »

Duct tape man?  Evil Ron?  Evil Flat Ron?  Evil Hooch?  Evil
Sooooooo many to choose from! Bag
IP address Logged

Let us learn to appreciate there will be times when the trees will be bare, and look forward to the time when we may pick the fruit.
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 01:42:11 PM »

Thank you Mayor, and you are absolutely correct, and as a matter of fact, there were the boys in blue and the ones with bright colors, and festival crew and all sorts of people running around and running into one another and backing the curious away and halting the traffic and all the campers still trying to get in, and, I hate to admit it, but, I followed the trail.
   Fortunately there were no injuries, butt for a bruised ego of one.  The man in the john  happened to have a less than festivarian attitude, taking some else's campsite with his camper, (which  apparently rolled into the water while he was otherwise occupied) and I heard it took quite a while for the authorities to extricate him from his narrow abode.  i heard he needed to be wrapped in plastic bags and taken to a safe place to be hosed, for the protection of the general population.
   As I said, the trail could not have been clearer, but just before reaching the gate, it veered off and made an extraordinarily straight line to the creek.  When I got there, only a few water bottles, and three beers, bobbed amidst the tangle of lines, ropes, assorted tarps, and a tent, on the bank, with a sheepish looking lady peeking out at me and she asked"Was that you?"
   I hastened to say I had nothing to do with her travels, and I wondered if she was alright, which she was..., so I walked back to camp.
IP address Logged
Redknuckles
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 120

URL icon « Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 07:12:17 PM »

Wow!! what a story.   Cheers  One more for the road, dude?!

Surrrre, whyyyy not?  what coooould go wrongggg?

IP address Logged
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 01:00:21 PM »

Holy crap Batman!  Did that happen at Folks? 

Dan is playin around. Flower But it was an observation on his part. Medal
IP address Logged

bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 08:13:46 PM »

I can't remember the first time I was at TBF, really.
This is something different...., there is a place and time where the music and the energy lives forever.

In about five years from now, I will be getting a phone call, on a land line, from a man that will say,,
"you don't know me , but you met me one day when I carried the elixir of music."
i don't know how the conversation goes, but I hope it goes well...

Now Playing icon Listening to: the phone ring
IP address Logged
Hippie
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 10:31:31 AM »

which brings me to this...

The Grascals want to do a radio interview with me next month and I can't, for the life of me, remember what year they appeared on the main stage at TBF... Does anyone remember?

I have been blessed with so much music and good times in Telluride that it really is hard to pick an individual year out of the pot of memories that flies around in my conscience.

Does anyone remember when the The Grascals were at TBF - Were they ever there?

:peace
IP address Logged

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. - Will Rogers
Garry
Wondering when Small Member status will be achieved.

Festivation rating 65

Why is this man happy?

URL icon « Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 11:37:05 AM »

Here is the link for the lineups:

http://www.bluegrass.com/telluride/archive/lineups.html

Nothing there.
IP address Logged
Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 07:50:15 PM »

which brings me to this...

The Grascals want to do a radio interview with me next month and I can't, for the life of me, remember what year they appeared on the main stage at TBF... Does anyone remember?

I have been blessed with so much music and good times in Telluride that it really is hard to pick an individual year out of the pot of memories that flies around in my conscience.

Does anyone remember when the The Grascals were at TBF - Were they ever there?

Jerry I don't believe they have ever played TBF, but I could be wrong on that, cuz like you, for me they get a bit blurry after 30 years.
 Cheers
IP address Logged

"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing. "  (Shunryu Suzuki)
Hippie
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 10:01:34 PM »

you're right Cindy! for some reason I get them mixed up the the Greencards, don't know why I just do.

IP address Logged

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. - Will Rogers
Pages: [1] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC