Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 12:26:40 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Beginning Bluegrass :)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Beginning Bluegrass :)  (Read 5854 times)
y2ksameer

Festivation rating 0

URL icon « on: May 21, 2010, 10:16:13 PM »

Hey,

I play the acoustic guitar but have not yet started on a bluegrass journey. However, I've been terribly hooked on to
Nickel Creek. I cannot get enough of their music. I know their songs comprise of 3 major sounds. One is definitely
an acoustic guitar, the other is definitely a violin but I'm confused about the third one. Is it a Banjo or a Mandolin ?

Either which way, I wanna buy the "third" instrument too and start playing some bluegrass music. Problem is I'm in India
and not many people here are hooked onto bluegrass.

I'd like to know what that third instrument is and also get to know of other bands playing musical similar to Nickel Creek :)

Cheers!

-Sameer

Now Playing icon Listening to: Nickel Creek Nickel Creek and more Nickel Creek!
IP address Logged
Maineahhh
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

Bluegrass makes me happy.

URL icon « Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 10:43:47 PM »

It's a mandolin . . played by probably the most innovative and talented player since Sam Bush . . his name is Chris Thile, and he is an unbelievable musician. Hmmmm, bands like nickel creek? check out crooked still, infamous stringdusters, spring creek, punch brothers . . that should be a good start!
IP address Logged

"A lot of the artists collaborate with one another on stage throughout the festival, leaving fans and musicians alike in awe. A bunch of us are old friends, and when we get here we want to band together... Anything goes here, people are ready for any kind of music." Sammy B on TBF
TellurideTom
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 426

URL icon « Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 11:12:56 AM »

There's actually more instruments in a typical bluegrass band.

Guitar
Fiddle
Mandolin
Bass
Banjo
and sometimes Dobro
 Wave
IP address Logged

Happy Trails....Wave

You can check out my Domain site or follow me on Facebook
lalagay
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 01:55:30 PM »

Ahhhh the Mandolin, once you get one, you'll never put it down  :) Most guitarists I know really get a kick out of playing them. They're tuned like a violin/fiddle though, so you can't transpose your guitar skills directly in terms of chords...

If you like that sound on Nickel Creek, you should try listening to one of Chris Thile's (the mandolin player) early albums, back when he wasn't so technically mindblowing, it can be fun to chop along to. The album I'm thinking of is Stealing Second, and playing with Chris Thile are most of bluegrass's star players, so it's a nice introduction  Thumbs Up

As for stuff that sound like Nickel Creek, I'd definitely recommend Alison Krauss & Union Station. Alison Krauss produced Nickel Creek's first two albums, so they do have similarities in sound. I'd recommend her album So Long So Wrong, it's kind of middle-of-the-way in terms of bluegrass, easy listening but bluegrassy enough to get you hooked and wanting to explore it more!
Also in a similar vein is the band Mountain Heart, try the album Wide Open.
Definitely Crooked Still.
The Lovell Sisters, very instrumentally pleasing but more mainstream so easy to start with.

I've spent my life trying to convert my friends to bluegrass music  LOL , and I've found the bands listed above definitely were a good place to start  Cheers

I look forward to hearing how you get along!

Now Playing icon Listening to: Robert Earl Keen - Blow You Away
IP address Logged

TBF 2011 here we come!
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

3 chord's and a story that's me

URL icon « Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 07:30:44 PM »

Hey,

I play the acoustic guitar but have not yet started on a bluegrass journey. However, I've been terribly hooked on to
Nickel Creek. I cannot get enough of their music. I know their songs comprise of 3 major sounds. One is definitely
an acoustic guitar, the other is definitely a violin but I'm confused about the third one. Is it a Banjo or a Mandolin ?

Either which way, I wanna buy the "third" instrument too and start playing some bluegrass music. Problem is I'm in India
and not many people here are hooked onto bluegrass.

I'd like to know what that third instrument is and also get to know of other bands playing musical similar to Nickel Creek :)

Cheers!

-Sameer
This thing, my friend, called the internet. Search and ye shall find. Satuate yourself in all things Nickle Creek and Bluegrass. Just a click away.. The more you know, the more you will want to know. Medal
IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
Hippie
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 08:19:27 PM »

1 album - get it from a friend - it's out of print...

Steam powered

:peace
IP address Logged

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. - Will Rogers
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 09:22:47 PM »

Tales From the Acoustic Planet - Volume 2 - The Bluegrass Sessions
Bela Fleck and some of the most talented musicians in the business!  Thumbs Up

Auntie Hope  :festivarian2 :green
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 11:19:37 AM »

I first heard David Grisman's album "Hot Dog" in a record store.  The owner put it on the turntable.  Listened to one cut and took it off.  It wasn't rock and roll.  He sold it to me for half price.  I bought a mandolin for $50 within a month.  Sometimes I wish I only spent that much on music, but there are more CD's just waiting for me to take home, and I am happy to live in a time when so much good music has been played.
IP address Logged
Pages: [1] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC