Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 08:38:39 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  I have played guitar, now picking up the Mando, lessons or not ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: I have played guitar, now picking up the Mando, lessons or not ?  (Read 5930 times)
Sleepy

Festivation rating 1

URL icon « on: September 25, 2009, 07:11:31 PM »

Cheers
IP address Logged

' That ain't no part of nuthin "
                                  - Big Mon
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

3 chord's and a story that's me

URL icon « Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 07:55:04 AM »

Cheers
Lessons are good to explore. I have been taking lessons and it really is just so fun to have someone to guide  and play along with you.
And if your like me I am very applied. So I like to watch and mimic hand and thumb position  Flower
Also keeping a nice steady boom chick through  another Mandolins solo can only be had by two mandolin together.
Have to take a break now from my tutor session ( half hour per week)and focus on work.

ALL ABOARD,,, WHOOOOO WHOOOOOOOO, boom chick boom chick boom!!

Take lessons. There fun! Flower
IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 05:31:34 PM »

After teaching myself how to play guitar, by learning chords and then songs, I took some lessons.  I later picked up the mandolin, and found it upside down from guitar.  I taught myself the mandolin.  Sometimes I could remember the guitar chord, but not the mandolin chord.  It took a while to learn and I wrote songs with strange chords so I would learn those chords.  I never learned the songs that fit the instrument, especially when I learned the octave mandolin...Bouzouki
IP address Logged
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 06:34:36 AM »

I never learned the songs that fit the instrument, especially when I learned the octave mandolin...Bouzouki

Wave Funny you should say that Dan.
I want to turn all songs into bluegrass tunes these days. "Cry Me A River". Thumbs Up
IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
Mark of Bloomington
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 12:07:09 PM »

I started playing mandolin a few years ago after playing guitar off and on for thirty years or so.  I take lessons from a guy who stops by the house a couple of times a month.  My wife and I are real homebodies and do not get out much.  If I did not have Jim coming by I would not push myself to learn anything new.  The best thing is to get together on a regular basis with a friend or two and jam.  But when you are a old frumpy 56 year old, too shy for his own good, private lessons at home work very well.  I like lessons with tune assignments to keep me moving forward.

Empty-nester with his own music room, unless the girls move back home.

How much longer until Telluride?

Now Playing icon Listening to: Circles around me
IP address Logged

Proud owner of a San Juan Mandolin (F5 #19-27, 2007), built by Bobby Wintringham.
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 10:07:31 PM »

I'm with MoB, and mostly because I've been at a picking circle with a ill equipt mando player.....

Take The Lessons! You'll be gald you did when you get to FESTIVVVAAALLL!!!

Auntie Hope  :festivarian2 :green
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 08:38:13 AM »

Wave Yeah I miss my lessons. They kept me moving forward and also made me carve out a time just for learning. Medal

Finally getting things square at work to free me up some. Now the dreadful snow begins at my house, lots and lots of the white stuff.

I say Skype tutor or web based lessons for me. I don't think a home tutor is possible on top of this mountain...

Lessons for sure. Flower Your lucky! You have a nice arrangement set up.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 08:40:17 AM by landshark » IP address Logged

landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 07:51:21 AM »

I'm with MoB, and mostly because I've been at a picking circle with a ill equipt mando player.....

Take The Lessons! You'll be gald you did when you get to FESTIVVVAAALLL!!!

Auntie Hope  :festivarian2 :green
Or don't play till their all toast, after 8PM LOL Cheers Flower
IP address Logged

Pages: [1] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC