Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2024, 02:03:45 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  odd sound
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: odd sound  (Read 80218 times)
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #75 on: August 11, 2010, 12:30:03 PM »

i can only listen to "Drive" at home on lp.
 LOL
IP address Logged
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

3 chord's and a story that's me

URL icon « Reply #76 on: August 11, 2010, 04:44:59 PM »

LOL

Let me guess, naked with  castanets?? Some sort of ritual er somethin Dan? Rolleyes
IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #77 on: August 17, 2010, 12:33:46 PM »

LOL

Let me guess, naked with  castanets?? Some sort of ritual er somethin Dan? Rolleyes

I can tell you've tried it, how does it work for you?
IP address Logged
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #78 on: August 17, 2010, 01:20:26 PM »

LOL

I can tell you've tried it, how does it work for you?

Are you kidding!? ANYTHING naked with castanets is better.  Flower
IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #79 on: September 25, 2010, 04:40:25 PM »

I am listening to a shuffle of Marc Cohn, Robert Plant, Carlos Santana, Peter Rowan, and Richard  Thompson, while we finally got too many tomatoes from the garden.  Five hours may not be enough time to finish processing produce, so I have Jennie Lewis, Darrell Scott, Crowded House, and maybe something else to help us get through the harvest.  Mumford and sons, Josh Ritter, Ani De Franco, and maybe I'll have to look at the line up to see what else will help me through the day.
Falling into fall...
IP address Logged
420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

shake it, shake it, Sugaree

URL icon « Reply #80 on: October 09, 2010, 01:01:25 PM »

Sometimes I like to hear weird stuff... found sound, stuff that nobody in their right mind will want to hear.  I'm good with small doses of it... So do any of you share this fascination of sound?  If so, what?  It is not for the timid, I can only listen by myself to not get a stink eye and "What's that?  Turn it off!", but I like to find new stuff to hear.  any suggestions?

Piano Music can make very ODD sounds... I just discovered a couple of days ago.

The oddest Piano Music - that I ever heard - is mixed underneath the voice sound track of Christine O'Donnell's extremely ODD "new" political ad. She is the controversial Delaware Republican Senate nominee. Sarah Palin gave her a very ODD endorsement.

Does the Piano Music sell "the spin"? Is this for Halloween? Or is this for voters in our November elections?

Christine O'Donnell says, "I'm not a witch. I'm nothing you've heard. I'm you. None of us are perfect. I'm Christine O'Donnell. I'm you."

"But it's the latter 28 seconds that give me the willies. "I'm nothing you've heard," she tells the camera as day spa piano music plays in the background. "I'm you." says Robert Schlesinger, in his ODD comment.

On Bill Maher's show in 1997, Christine O'Donnell says:

"I dabbled into witchcraft. I did. I did. I hung around people who were doing these things. I'm not making this stuff up. One of my first dates was a witch upon a Satanic alter. There was a little blood there, and stuff like that."

Christine O'Donnell - "I Dabbled Into Witchcraft" - YouTube clip
IP address Logged

Turn on your Lovelight... and leave it ON!
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #81 on: October 11, 2010, 08:27:35 AM »

420sugaree, the piano work reminds me of the guitar in the background of one or two of the BP ads of how they are going to stay until every last drop of oil is sucked from the gulf, or is it that they will clean up as much of the mess as they want, I confuse the message with the soothing music in the background. For years I have heard good songs placed in ads to sell me something.  I'm not sure that works on me.  The sad [art is when my association with a song and a product diminishes my enjoyment of the music.
Lately, I have read about the effects of loud noise on health. 
Having heard horrible sound environments, I know how bad it is to hear loud, irritating sound for long periods of time.  I think that we should all pay attention to the sound environment that surrounds us.
I think that is one major reason we continue to come to musical events, to surround ourselves in a healing sound environment.
Is this true?

Now Playing icon Listening to: Cat explaining the lack of food in dish
IP address Logged
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #82 on: October 11, 2010, 09:27:59 AM »

420sugaree, the piano work reminds me of the guitar in the background of one or two of the BP ads of how they are going to stay until every last drop of oil is sucked from the gulf, or is it that they will clean up as much of the mess as they want, I confuse the message with the soothing music in the background. For years I have heard good songs placed in ads to sell me something.  I'm not sure that works on me.  The sad [art is when my association with a song and a product diminishes my enjoyment of the music.
Lately, I have read about the effects of loud noise on health. 
Having heard horrible sound environments, I know how bad it is to hear loud, irritating sound for long periods of time.  I think that we should all pay attention to the sound environment that surrounds us.
I think that is one major reason we continue to come to musical events, to surround ourselves in a healing sound environment.
Is this true?

My world is filled with the beautiful sounds of nature all day everyday ...while it does fill me up in a spiritual way and  I feel connected to the planet...
 Music makes me feel connected to others. Like I love everyone on the planet. Flower

Subblimminal music in the background of commercials is a cheap form of brain wash. What would happen if we played that backwards, would it be Satin talkin ... Evil
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 11:36:26 AM by landshark » IP address Logged

bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #83 on: October 13, 2010, 09:00:33 AM »

In an annual rite of passage, I am off to get some firewood.  Every fall since the early 1970's, I have gone in search of a pile of wood for my wood stove.  I have a potbelly stove from a Used everything store in Golden that I bought for living in the mountains.  It would heat up in a flash and grow cold as soon as the fire dimmed.  I now use a stove with a glass so I can see the fire.
I listen to music on my drive, and today it might be the Grateful Dead, Dick's Picks 36, with three songs from the Boulder show, the first time I heard them live.  I think I'll take New Grass Revival, Too Late to Turn Back Now, as well.  When I gather Pinyon wood, I take an axe and a maul, chopping the wood as I go, filling the truck and wondering if I will do this When I'm 64.  There are days in the fall, when sunshine and blue sky seem to last forever, with the odd sound of a bird breaking the silence.  Here's to you, old Southern skies, I'm on my way.
IP address Logged
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #84 on: October 13, 2010, 09:39:27 AM »

In an annual rite of passage, I am off to get some firewood.  Every fall since the early 1970's, I have gone in search of a pile of wood for my wood stove.  I have a potbelly stove from a Used everything store in Golden that I bought for living in the mountains.  It would heat up in a flash and grow cold as soon as the fire dimmed.  I now use a stove with a glass so I can see the fire.
I listen to music on my drive, and today it might be the Grateful Dead, Dick's Picks 36, with three songs from the Boulder show, the first time I heard them live.  I think I'll take New Grass Revival, Too Late to Turn Back Now, as well.  When I gather Pinyon wood, I take an axe and a maul, chopping the wood as I go, filling the truck and wondering if I will do this When I'm 64.  There are days in the fall, when sunshine and blue sky seem to last forever, with the odd sound of a bird breaking the silence.  Here's to you, old Southern skies, I'm on my way.

Gathering wood today as well Dan.  Medal Beautiful day, Fall smells so rich Flower I will be here, up here,  gathering wood when I'm 64.

And I will smell the Fall, like yesterday. Cheers
IP address Logged

Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #85 on: October 13, 2010, 05:41:34 PM »

I listen to music on my drive, and today it might be the Grateful Dead, Dick's Picks 36, with three songs from the Boulder show, the first time I heard them live.  I think I'll take New Grass Revival, Too Late to Turn Back Now, as well.    There are days in the fall, when sunshine and blue sky seem to last forever, with the odd sound of a bird breaking the silence.  Here's to you, old Southern skies, I'm on my way.

If you are talking about the Dead's 15th Anniversary shows in Boulder, I was there.  Warren Zevon opened up for them; it was great!  I was also in Telluride when NGR recorded Too Late to Turn Back Now, in 1977.  That was my second time to go to TBF, and my second time to see NGR!  That is still one of my all-time favorite recordings.   Medal   Thumbs Up
IP address Logged

"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing. "  (Shunryu Suzuki)
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #86 on: October 13, 2010, 08:43:50 PM »

I could see the San Juans and Lone Cone mountain from where I gathered firewood today.  A blue sky and the scrub oak was multi-colored.  I listened to the Dead and NGR and I enjoyed the drive.  I listened to Lonesome and a Long Way from Home, from NGR and last week from Eric Clapton.  With Care From Someone is from Dillard and Clark.  I love to follow the life of a song as it infects singers and moves forward to infect thousands of listeners.  There are songs that you may never hear the writer sing.  There are songs that are rewritten time after time.  And sometimes a singer might deliver an old song in a new way, like Robert Plant's Band of Joy would be fun to see at planet bluegrass.  But "This too shall Pass Away".

IP address Logged
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #87 on: November 03, 2010, 12:04:49 PM »

The way that words fit to music is a lot like the way that wood fits to wood, like the finish work in a window sill, or making a frame for a picture without using mitre saws, or expensive tools.  if the fit is right, we see it or hear it and we accept it as the way it is.  If the frame is not true, or the lyrics and music sound cliched or the emotional tones don't fit, it is like trying to level a house when the foundation isn't level, it doesn't seem right, no matter how you look at it.
Trying to find a tune that fits some slightly eerie lyrics and trying to fit a window sill in a window frame that is not square requires more than one attempt in each case.  I know neither are right, so I try again.  I get closer, but I need to make another cut, I need to change the chord structure and pattern.
Is it "Out of true?"

Now Playing icon Listening to: Andrew Bird
IP address Logged
420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

shake it, shake it, Sugaree

URL icon « Reply #88 on: November 04, 2010, 11:05:35 AM »

re: landshark, Cindy Lou, bouzouki... Wood cutting, heating, etc.

Can I dispell this myth: Heating with wood is so much 'cheaper'?

That's bull. Like you all, I lived in Colo Mtns (WonderVu) for years, gathered wood, hauled wood, bucked up wood, split wood, stacked wood, and heated with wood. When ALL the costs are added up, including your time, it's more expensive. In my case, yes, heating with wood "was a better way to go."

re: great odd sounds
1) Ken Buck's concession yesterday!
2) Billy for President - by Bob Weir, Anchorage, AK, 21-June-1980 (mp3 track - 00:23) "A vote for Billy Kreutzmann is a vote for Nature in the Streets."

3) composite GD banter track - mp3, 08:27

4) re: NGR / With Care From Someone tune - here's the pull
NGR - With Care From Someone - mp3, 09:49
IP address Logged

Turn on your Lovelight... and leave it ON!
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #89 on: November 04, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »

Thanks that was really nice M. and wood is not a matter of money, sometimes up here, we get big storms that cut out the power. No power no well, no nuttin. Wood for heat and cooking a must in the Winter and Spring months. Flower Plus I just like a fire, it's sexy LOL
IP address Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC