Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 07, 2024, 08:48:22 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  odd sound
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: odd sound  (Read 79931 times)
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 08:44:40 AM »

The Dead made some odd sounds.
IP address Logged
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 03:44:52 PM »

The wind is talking loud today, mixing with the traffic.  Copper roses opened up today, all over Grand Junction.  I can't hear the birds except for one raven, must be time to sit in the wind, get ready for TBF, hanging outside all day.

Now Playing icon Listening to: the wind
IP address Logged
wilco1
Festivarian

Festivation rating 32

URL icon « Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 12:45:02 PM »

Last night it started to rain in the middle of a sand storm. so it was basically raining  little balls of mud.
 We learned our lesson, never go outside when this is happening and most of all do not look up. Swearing
IP address Logged
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 06:12:05 PM »

I think a mandocello is bigger.
Spent the weekend in Fort Collins watching a friend finish and graduate.  I also did some TBF practice, hanging out with youngsters in bars, they can sure drink, but I don't know how they all felt in the morning.  The odd sound was all those voices trying to be louder than the rock music and each other.  someone told me I could make that effect on tape by making a bunch of geese honk and looping the tape, until it sounds like people, and probably as intelligent as well. Cheers

Now Playing icon Listening to: calexico, iron and wine, and dave alvin on the drive
IP address Logged
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 06:04:40 PM »

No crying pup today... sad to say only when the owner gets home.. I will listen and locate as planned tonight if I hear the sad cry again... might come home with a new friend...

I will not give up on that pup even if this guy gets in my face..... you just have to be kind to all animals. Just really something wrong with folks that resort to abusive behavior.

Medal
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
hipchc
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 08:38:14 PM »

No crying pup today... sad to say only when the owner gets home.. I will listen and locate as planned tonight if I hear the sad cry again... might come home with a new friend...

I will not give up on that pup even if this guy gets in my face..... you just have to be kind to all animals. Just really something wrong with folks that resort to abusive behavior.

~ Any luck finding that meanie yet?? Peeps who beat their dogs should get beaten themselves (not a violent person, just feel they should taste their own 'medicine')

Thank you for sticking up for the puppy, mama... We need more kind folks like YOU in the world...   Medal
IP address Logged
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 07:52:53 AM »

My little neighborhood has some rental houses run by property managers, so there is no concern about who gets the key.  Over the years, we have had a variety of folks that see this as an escape to the country, which holds an appeal to me as well, but we have had neighbors that get a horse and can't afford to feed it, get baby chicks that feed the hawks and coyotes and raccoons,( and they take forever to be convinced to leave after they have eaten all the freebies in the neighborhood), and recently a guy had three pit bulls that he kept fenced in, but they could dig under the fence.  He said he had them for protection for his family.  They would wag their tails when they came over, but the sense of menace of three dogs, like a pack, was a bit much.  I took them back home and the owner got angry when I asked him to keep them at his place.  It felt like a disaster waiting to happen.  There is something about the illusion of freedom that gives some people a sense that they have no rule nor responsibility to control their actions, or feed their animals.  When a person's response to a request to change their behavior toward their animals is anger, it is helpful to consider that they live in a fantasy (not a good fantasy) that seems to indicate something is not right with them.  Good luck Landshark, may your actions bear good fruit.
IP address Logged
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 10:38:15 AM »

My dog likes to bark at the horses when they get too close to "his" fence.  My geese just make noise

Now Playing icon Listening to: honk, honk
IP address Logged
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #23 on: May 24, 2009, 11:29:35 PM »

I heard hail through the stove vent, and earlier, I could hear the compressors at the grocery stove.  I can also hear hear a "ringing", hissing, clanging, beating, or some other way of describing  the constant sound that is not sound.
tinnitus.  Someone wrote that there will be 70,000 vets returning from war with this problem, and there is little chance of knowing how many of you hear sound all the time, or when you think of it, or after something loud, constant, or of some certain pitch, tone or timbre.  Some of us barely have it, and others are overwhelmed.  Mine is halfway, constant on one side, so, I am always aware of it.  It is the oddest sound I can think of, because it is not a sound.  it is  EEK!.
I happen to think that Telluride bluegrass Festival is an event that can heal the soul, to what extent, I don't know, but I love walking the great mandala, I have looked down on it from up on the mountainside,,,walking up that road,,,,,,the road behind you when you watch the stage, the cliff that I watched Xavier Rudd play with the echo with  himself, with percussion.  i saw a bunch of Africans play on a stage in 1987, with drums., and I listened to the echo, think about when the town could hear the sound of dynamite echoing down the mountains.  I remember Telluride fourth of July, with firemen water fighting the Silverton or the Ouray firefighters with water hoses and fireworks at night and eating at the buffet at the Sheridan Hotel.
I lived downstream on the San Miguel, where you didn't eat the fish.  Maybe if we camped at trout lake, and caught more than one fish from the shore, and we ate them, I would still taste that trout.  i heard and saw a rock slide up along one of the peaks.  I actually had been thinking of climbing up in that area, while my brother and father fished.  My father rode the Galloping Goose, can you say that?  If you don't know what that is, walk up main street, both sides, and look for history.  This is the story, not only of mountains and music, but of the place and the time where the music climbed, out of the ore and the rocks and the dust,, reading Pychon's "Against the Day", and seeing it all can be different, I might be right, creating a history that doesn't exist, in this world...I was thnking that many of you have met me, as I met so many others, passing through Telluride; On Their Way, as we all go..,life is truly fleeting, and if we don't have a clue, i imagine, we miss the best parts. 
I like to believe that Telluride is magical.  If it is, then you have a wonderful time, and you are given strength to visit the next demon in your path.  If it isn't, then grant us old, odd, Festivarians our fantasy of being in the right place at the right time, with the music to guide us, inside us, and all around, beside us, find a friend, listen in, and let it guide us.   
It is fun to play with words, but its more fun to feel that spirit over all these years, New Grass Revival, John Hartford, Doc Watson, Bill Monroe, Ralph Stanley, Oh Brother, Where art Thou, and Peter, Sam, Bela, John, YMSB, Special Guests,  Emmylou, and all you Ladies, I don't mean to ignore you all, bands, and names. faces on stage, songs and scenes and screams for more...., what more can I ask, over the years.....We were married on the Solstice in New Mexico, not knowing the first year of Telluride happened the same time, so we have shared many of our anniversaries, together. 
it is late at night, but you are probably reading this because you have little to do at this moment, and it might be daylight, or dark, but....
Like climbing out of many holes, you see the light before you reach the top, and what you see determines what you think it is. this is like a hologram, mixed in time and space..., if you don't understand read Quantum Physics, dimensions, and Lao Tsu...
If this is not an odd sound, then you haven't been listening, begin again..Bouzouki 

Now Playing icon Listening to: Crooked Still, Bela, bob dylan, Together through Life.
IP address Logged
ilovethelorax
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 05:34:47 PM »

Nicely strung words there bouzouki. Thanks for sharing.   Cheers

Now Playing icon Listening to: a moonlit town
IP address Logged

I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music. It seems to infuse strength into my limbs and ideas into my brain. Life seems to go on without effort, when I am filled with music.

George Eliot (1819-1880)
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #25 on: June 01, 2009, 06:13:43 PM »

thanks Cheers               
IP address Logged
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 06:58:35 PM »

I have been listening to David Byrne, elvis costello and sugarcane, Bob Dylan, the Dead, and other assorted cds. Music is my saving grace, to steal a title from Steve Miller.  Music has saved me from myself for decades, and for that, I wonder how many of us have something that guides us.  Art and creativity feed me, music, writing, gardening, all these skills that I can't bring myself to sell.  My music means more to me than money, poetry means much to me, and my limited skills with paint are mine alone.  Cooking and gardening are well within these realms of arts as well.  Whatever your art, it is your need to practice that art that sustains life, just like practicing living, which is what we do every day. the odd sound is the way we perceive this art, and the way we dance to it. I celebrate the odd sound, and if I can create my own experience in the next two weeks, perhaps I will share that, if it is odd enough
IP address Logged
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #27 on: June 13, 2009, 09:18:04 AM »

I have listened to the sound of a nail gun and electric saw for two months.  Enough!  I can hear a gun range from where I cut wood and it doesn't me me feel safer.  Train whistle sound carries a long ways as well as trucks gearing down.  Ravens seem to have a disdainful remark about human behavior, or is that just me.  I have listened to wind almost daily.  Traffic, sirens, horns honking, make the natural sounds more pleasing when I hear them.  This morning a cricket is close by, I don't think I will hear that in Telluride.  My ears are never full enough to be unable to take in the music of TBF, and as much as I have imbibed, I can always go for more.  The tumbling mix of emotional sound, full of joy and sadness, strength and beauty, not knowing what these days will bring, other than the communion of old friends and new, walking paths my feet recall from previous experience.  Seeing faces, hearing voices, bright colors clad those that pass.  Smiles and a nod, recognizing the energy rising  through us all.  what more can we ask?
IP address Logged
bluegrassbass
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 34

URL icon « Reply #28 on: June 16, 2009, 04:59:07 PM »

this thread makes me think of John Hartford's

Good Old Electric Washing Machine
 Cheers

Now Playing icon Listening to: noisy hvac system
IP address Logged

Jim Fischer
Bassist for That Damn Sasquatch
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 12:52:53 PM »

...or David Bryne
IP address Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC