Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 09:15:15 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Re: Sam, Curtis, John, Tony, Dan, J.D. and the boys benefit concert - Mar 20 '09
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Re: Sam, Curtis, John, Tony, Dan, J.D. and the boys benefit concert - Mar 20 '09  (Read 116731 times)
Big_Sandy

Festivation rating 0

URL icon « Reply #30 on: March 12, 2009, 02:35:19 PM »

In the words of a law professor I once had ..

"Sue the bastards"

I have a feeling a lot of people will.
IP address Logged
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

3 chord's and a story that's me

URL icon « Reply #31 on: March 12, 2009, 02:59:32 PM »

I got confirmation by emailing booking agents that Tony Rice, Cowan, and Sam Bush are NOT performing for sure.

I had a reservation at the Galt House and planned on going until all this commotion, but was going to CANCEL and the hotel said the reservations  are NON-REFUNDABLE.  So I am stuck with over a $200 loss, so is my friend who was going to go with me!! So over $400.

I feel scammed.  Totally misled.

Any thoughts on what I should do??
How did you pay, Credit Card. If so you can dispute or stop payment.
IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #32 on: March 12, 2009, 03:03:29 PM »

This is soooo disappointing!  If this is a matter of false advertising on the producer's part, I think they can be held liable for any losses people incur as a result.  I don't know that for a fact, but I imagine there are some on this forum who would know the legalities involved concerning a class action lawsuit.
bummer bummer bummer waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
I am in no way at all disappointed in the musicians, so don't get me wrong on that. I LOVE Sam and John and always have and always will and I support them whole-heartedly, always.  Their music is a huge part of my life and I know they are the good guys in all this.  I'm just sorry they are having to deal with crap like this.
IP address Logged

"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing. "  (Shunryu Suzuki)
TellurideTom
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 426

URL icon « Reply #33 on: March 12, 2009, 03:29:16 PM »

I got confirmation by emailing booking agents that Tony Rice, Cowan, and Sam Bush are NOT performing for sure.

I had a reservation at the Galt House and planned on going until all this commotion, but was going to CANCEL and the hotel said the reservations  are NON-REFUNDABLE.  So I am stuck with over a $200 loss, so is my friend who was going to go with me!! So over $400.

I feel scammed.  Totally misled.

Any thoughts on what I should do??

When I made my reservations I was told that a "portion" of the money was non-refundable, not the entire thing, so I'd talk to them again.
I'm kinda bummed at how the promoter put this thing together and I may try to recoup some funds in the long run.
I still plan on making the trip, but it's mainly to see my new great grandson at this point, and maybe visit some friends in the area. Cheers
IP address Logged

Happy Trails....Wave

You can check out my Domain site or follow me on Facebook
Mark of Bloomington
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #34 on: March 12, 2009, 04:32:46 PM »

I just got off the phone with the Galt House and they told me what I already knew; that I was out my $185.  The lady at the Galt House told me to work with the Bluegrass Hotel Festival people.  Their number is (210) 745-5840.  I called and left a message and a request that someone from their office call me.  Like that is going to happen!  But, you never know. 

It was my understanding that this was to be a fund-raiser for the Cancer Society, or something like that,  I wonder if I could call this a donation for taxes, if I tell the Galt House that we will not be coming and to donate our room and ticket.
IP address Logged

Proud owner of a San Juan Mandolin (F5 #19-27, 2007), built by Bobby Wintringham.
Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #35 on: March 12, 2009, 04:54:48 PM »

"Benefit Concert highlights include:
- a confirmed All Star performance featuring Sam Bush with Curtis Burch, John Cowan, J.D. Crowe, Tony Rice & Dan Crary
- special performance appearance by major Guest Stars (tba Jan. 09)
- opening sets by The Bluegrass Alliance Tribute and Buzzard Rock String Bands.

Proceeds of The Bluegrass Hotel concert benefit the American Cancer Society in Louisville."

The above was on the original post.  Note that it says "Confirmed", and proceeds of the "Concert" benefit the ACS.  It does not say that proceeds from room rentals will benefit the ACS, and considering the latest development, they really need to concede and issue refunds. 
I think if a lot of people do not go, the Galt House will suffer as a result of:
1. loss of revenue from meals/drinks not being bought
2. the festival itself will not turn as big a profit due to less sales
3. any future opportunities to have the musicians there. After all this, I doubt any of them would ever want to play/stay there. 
4. the ACS most likely will not want to hold events there in the future
5. just a general bad taste for anything to do with Bill Millet and the Galt House for what appears to be false advertising from the get-go.

I know it sure does dim my former and any future excitement for going there, monetary damages aside.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 06:37:20 PM by Cindy Lou » IP address Logged

"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing. "  (Shunryu Suzuki)
Helen

Festivation rating -23

URL icon « Reply #36 on: March 12, 2009, 06:18:47 PM »

The thing to remember is that the Galt House is not responsible for what has happened with The Bluegrass Hotel. Bluegrass people enjoyed many years there with IBMA and finally there was a major event back in a wonderful setting. The Galt House is caught in the middle. At this point in time, there is still an event. At this point in time people can still go to the Galt House and have a good time with old and new friends (don't forget that the Itchin' to Pick festival is also there the next day). The show you thought you were going to see - it isn't going to happen. Once at the Galt House, you don't have to attend the concert if you don't want to. Don't confuse the Galt House with The Bluegrass Hotel promoters. The Galt House is a victim as well.

I truly hope that the performers do not let one poor promoter ruin a perfectly good venue and that the Galt House does not judge all bluegrass events by The Bluegrass Hotel. Both cases would be most unfortunate. I would very much like to see future events happen in Louisville and particularly at The Galt House.
IP address Logged
420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

shake it, shake it, Sugaree

URL icon « Reply #37 on: March 12, 2009, 06:34:08 PM »

I hope this helps. But, I am NOT promoting anything. This is now a blog. Is there anything else I can do to help?

peace,
Monte

— from "The Bluegrass Hotel" [Bill Millet], just circulated to The Bluegrass Hotel Crew et al —

The Bluegrass Hotel updated concert & festival schedule
March 20, 2009
Galt House Hotel
Louisville, Kentucky

CONCERT STAGE SCHEDULE
Grand Ballroom
8:00 - 10:00pm

1. Buzzard Rock String Band

2. Arnett Hollow

3. "Bobby Osborne and the Kentucky School of Bluegrass & Traditional Music" with Bobby Osborne Jr., Dean Osborne, J P Mathes, Curtis Burch & guest Michael Cleveland.& Tony Williamson

4. The original line-up of The Bluegrass Alliance (cir. 1968)
- Dan Crary, Danny Jones, Buddy Spurlock with Michael Cleveland (fiddle) and Marshall Billingsley (bass)
- also featuring band members (cir. 1972 - 1978) Glenn Lawson, Tony Williamson, Steve Cooley, Chuck Nation, Al White, Keith & Darrel Sanson, Marty Townsend, Danny Wylie and many others.

5. Ben Sollee

6. Ben Sollee & J.D. Crowe (banjo duet)

7, The Bluegrass Hotel All Stars

Fred Bartenstein - emcee

FESTIVAL STAGE SCHEDULE
Exhibit Hall

12 noon - 1:00pm.  WFPK FM Radio "Live Lunch" - broadcasting live from The Bluegrass Hotel concert site (festival stage) - featuring Ben Sollee, Kati Penn Band, Arnett Hollow and The Bluegrass Hotel Artists

1:00 - 2:00pm.  (Kati Penn band)

2:00 - 3:00pm.   (Town Criers) 

3:00 - 4:00pm.   (Hurley Ridge Band) 

5:00 - 6:00pm  (Say Darlin Say)

6:00 - 7:00pm  (Down On 5th)

7:00 - 8:00pm  (Relic)

8:00 - 10:00pm  (Open Slot - taped music only during concert)

10:00 - 10:30pm  "Kentucky School of Bluegrass & Traditional Music" with J P Mathes, Andrew DeKemper, Kathryn Boggess, Obe Golding & guest students

10:30 - 11:00pm  (Buzzard Rock String Band)

11:00 - 11:30pm (Arnett Hollow)

11:30 pm - 12midnight  (The International Bluegrass Music Museum auction, conducted by Dan Crary and Fred Bartenstein)

12midnight - 2:00am  (The Bluegrass Alliance Tribute band)
- Dan Crary, Danny Jones, Buddy Spurlock, Curtis Burch, Glenn Lawson, Michael Cleveland, Tony Williamson, Marshall Billingsley, Steve Cooley, Chuck Nation, Al White, Keith & Darrel Sanson, Marty Townsend, Danny Wylie and many others.
IP address Logged

Turn on your Lovelight... and leave it ON!
Muletownfolks

Festivation rating 0

URL icon « Reply #38 on: March 12, 2009, 06:42:07 PM »

Newgrass Music Lovers,

As a couple of die-hard Newgrass fans who have followed this music for well over thirty-five years, we feel the need to get on our soap-box and take a stand.
   First, let us say that we were early supporters of the Bluegrass Hotel/Bluegrass Alliance Tribute in Louisville on March 20th.  When the hotel package/tickets went on sale on Jan. 5th, we were one of the first callers. We called friends both near and far to help promote it.  I even had a conversation with Bill Millet, the Executive Producer and offered to volunteer if needed.  We talked about the March 20th show and all the incredible Newgrass talent that would be performing.  He also told me that Vince Gill and Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top would be there.  With much anticipation, we’ve been counting the days.
   Fast forward to this week and it is now apparent that this project has all turned to crap. We’ve read all the information that we could find from both Sam Bush and Bill Millet and we have a few comments.  We are fans and don’t need to, nor even want to understand the legalities of making music for a living and/or a charity.  In all the years that we have followed Sam Bush, the Bluegrass Alliance, the New Grass Revival and any side project that he has been affiliated with, Sam has never missed a show.  Sam and his business partner/manager/wife Lynn have always been the consummate professionals, along with his band, road manager and sound crew.  Sam Bush is a true musician’s musician! 
Obviously in regards to the artists, we’ve been lied to. Besides the situation with Sam Bush, it does not appear that Vince Gill or Billy Gibbons will be performing.  As of this writing, John Cowan’s MySpace site states that he won’t be there.  There is also no indication that Tony Rice will be there either.
Bill Millet, the project’s Executive Producer has taken it upon himself to use the two MySpace sites ( http://www.myspace.com/thebluegrasshotel and http://www.myspace.com/thebluegrassalliancetribute ) in an unethically despicable way.  He has taken Sam Bush’s personal battle with cancer, the recent cancer death of his father, and the cancer death of his dear friend and band mate to a public forum for the soul purpose of public humiliation to benefit his agenda and/or The American Cancer Society.  This act exemplifies a new low that we cannot fathom. We don’t even think politicians would dig that deep into the gutter. This definitely speaks volumes in regards to his character. Shame on you Bill Millet!
We, as fans and supporters of Newgrass music, feel that Bill Millet owes us an apology for his lies and actions.  For us, this is about the misrepresentation of someone we respect (Sam Bush).  If you agree, please contact Bill Millet at 972-365-3303 or via www.thebluegrasshotel.com.
In addition, please contact Lorraina Aldridge at the American Cancer Society (502-584-6782 or www.cancer.org).  Let her know how you feel about this mess.  If you have a little extra jingle in your pocket, send it her way in honor of someone who has fought the battle against cancer.  They are an incredibly honorable & worthy organization.
Most Sincerely,
Patrick & Barbara Day
IP address Logged
philc
Wondering when Small Member status will be achieved.

Festivation rating 12

URL icon « Reply #39 on: March 12, 2009, 06:48:08 PM »

While the Galt House will survive in all it's tacky glory, I fear as a Louisvillian that the spirit of "The Bluegrass Hotel" has been compromised by a promoter of questionable integrity.  
IP address Logged
fatdaddyo6

Festivation rating 0

URL icon « Reply #40 on: March 12, 2009, 07:42:41 PM »

Hey guys. this all really sucks from all sides. Fans, artists involved, etc. It was a beautiful idea that was apparently not executed very well. Maybe it will work out that the principle pickers can do a get together for another event. I too was hoping for a big turn out for the fund raising to fight cancer, it got both my folks and my stepson, we lose to many to the disease daily.
 Love the music not just the pickers. Hopefully we will hear these guys together in the future. SC
IP address Logged
philc
Wondering when Small Member status will be achieved.

Festivation rating 12

URL icon « Reply #41 on: March 12, 2009, 07:49:55 PM »

well said.
IP address Logged
Hippie
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #42 on: March 12, 2009, 07:56:30 PM »

I've been watching this thread with some interest this past few days and my heart goes out to those of you who made the investment for tickets and lodging to an originally advertised Stellar show. I am supremely grateful that I did not dip into my TBF savings to attend.

As a show producer and concert promoter I stand in amazement that a promoter could not have practiced due diligence and obtained needed clearances prior to advertising such a headlining event. Did no one sign a contract in all of this? My standard operating procedure is to have signed releases and contracts in hand before promoting any event.

Now on to what can we do about all of this?

Number one we should not be dissing the American Cancer society, Galt House, or the individual artists. They all are incredible people working with an incredible amount of limitations in this economy; Especially those that are not for profit. I am struggling daily to deal with an almost 30% shortfall in our fundraising this year at my workplace.

Those that have confirmed tickets, should work with the promoter to get a full refund, they are not delivering anywhere near the services advertised. I would suggest those that used credit cards dispute any charges for those tickets.

Lodging and travel arrangements are a bit more sticky. My AAA membership gives me some travel interruptions service, perhaps there is some recourse through that?It might be worthwhile to contact your lodging providers and see if something can be worked out? It is after all a week before the booking, maybe you can recoup some of your pre payed deposits?

I would suggest we all vote with our feet as to the actual event. An all out boycott is not out of the question. Several our cadre who have been stiffed by this chain of events should contact the Louisville newspapers and media outlets to alert  them to this developing story. The power of the media to shame unscrupulous activities is a very powerful thing indeed.

Finally a letter to the Better Business Bureau might do wonders to keep this from happening to any of us again.

Yours in solidarity.

:peace
IP address Logged

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. - Will Rogers
BillyBeru
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

"Good evening, music lovers!"

URL icon « Reply #43 on: March 12, 2009, 08:04:44 PM »

Newgrass Music Lovers,

Fast forward to this week and it is now apparent that this project has all turned to crap.
Obviously in regards to the artists, we’ve been lied to. Besides the situation with Sam Bush, it does not appear that Vince Gill or Billy Gibbons will be performing.  As of this writing, John Cowan’s MySpace site states that he won’t be there.  There is also no indication that Tony Rice will be there either.
Bill Millet, the project’s Executive Producer has taken it upon himself to use the two MySpace sites ( http://www.myspace.com/thebluegrasshotel and http://www.myspace.com/thebluegrassalliancetribute ) in an unethically despicable way.  He has taken Sam Bush’s personal battle with cancer, the recent cancer death of his father, and the cancer death of his dear friend and band mate to a public forum for the soul purpose of public humiliation to benefit his agenda and/or The American Cancer Society.  This act exemplifies a new low that we cannot fathom. We don’t even think politicians would dig that deep into the gutter. This definitely speaks volumes in regards to his character. Shame on you Bill Millet!
We, as fans and supporters of Newgrass music, feel that Bill Millet owes us an apology for his lies and actions.  For us, this is about the misrepresentation of someone we respect (Sam Bush).  If you agree, please contact Bill Millet at 972-365-3303 or via www.thebluegrasshotel.com.
Patrick & Barbara Day

That web address just takes you to the Galt House page, which pretty much says to me that they, the Galt House, are just as responsible for promoting it without making sure all their ducks were in a row.  No way that I can see to contact Bill Millet via email. 
And as far as the other performers, sorry, they aren't the ones who prompted me to take a week off and pay for a plane ticket that I will now probably not use and can't get refunded.  Too bad for those performers to even have to be associated with it and all the bad publicity now.
Really, did anybody buy a ticket for reasons OTHER THAN Sam Bush and John Cowan together again singing NGR songs to benefit a cause?
yea Tom I know you're going to see your kin, so that's not what I mean.

I did some Google searching and think I found Bill Millet's email address:

Billmillet@yahoo.com

This aggression will not stand, man... Wink
IP address Logged

"How many of you have been at the festival all four days?"
TellurideTom
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 426

URL icon « Reply #44 on: March 12, 2009, 10:49:03 PM »

Yes, I will still go.... But..... I have notified those of my distaste in the events and my main reason to continue the trip is to see my great grandson at this point.
I will do all in my power to recoup as much as I possibly can.
No promoter should get away with such a travesty! Mad
IP address Logged

Happy Trails....Wave

You can check out my Domain site or follow me on Facebook
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC