Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 09:19:15 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  What are your favorite Jerry memories?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: What are your favorite Jerry memories?  (Read 13757 times)
420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

shake it, shake it, Sugaree

URL icon « on: August 01, 2008, 08:57:09 PM »

Celebrate Jerry's Life on his birthday

He's Gone

Rat in a drain ditch, caught on a limb, you know better but I know him.
Like I told you, what I said, Steal your face right off your head.

Now he's gone, now he's gone, Lord he's gone, he's gone.
Like a steam locomotive, rollin' down the track
He's gone, gone, nothin's gonna bring him back...He's gone.

Nine mile skid on a ten mile ride, hot as a pistol but cool inside.
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Now he's gone, now he's gone Lord he's gone, he's gone.

Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.
Lost one round but the price wasn't anything,
A knife in the back and more of the same.

Same old, rat in a drain ditch, caught on a limb,
You know better but I know him.
Like I told you, what I said,
Steal your face right off your head.

Now he's gone, now he's gone Lord he's gone, he's gone.

Ooh, nothin's gonna bring him back

Happy Birthday Jerry Garcia
Aug 1, 1942 - Aug 9, 1995

This famous 1967 CBS news film-clip on YouTube is perhaps Jerry's best interview. It includes his best quote EVER! The clip is 7 minutes long. imho, it's the best Jerr-Phil-Bobby interview out there. It will forever be etched in our memory.

Jerry Garcia, 1967: "What we're thinking about is a peaceful planet. We're not thinking of anything else. We're not thinking about any kind of power. We're not thinking about any of those kinds of struggles. We're not thinking about revolution or war or any of that. We would all like to be able to live an uncluttered life, a simple life, a good life and think about moving the whole human race ahead a step."

and where the "f" was Pigpen during this interview?
Damn... hmmm? Out-back, outside?

Jerry knows banjo

I Love You Boys - Donna too

Now Playing icon Listening to: Sugaree
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 10:09:22 PM by 420Sugaree » IP address Logged

Turn on your Lovelight... and leave it ON!
TellurideTom
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 426

URL icon « Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 09:41:37 PM »

Can I really say it here? huh

Ok, I admit it....
I passed a hash pipe to Jerry on stage and of course he took it. Flower
It was a long time ago, so don't get the idea I still do that kind of thing. Evil
IP address Logged

Happy Trails....Wave

You can check out my Domain site or follow me on Facebook
420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

shake it, shake it, Sugaree

URL icon « Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 01:21:41 AM »

In a word - 1973 - is my fav
I saw The Boys about 15 or 20 times in '73

An incredible Source - a.k.a. The_Bus - will be seeding Bit Torrents for The Grateful Dead 1973 Project over at bt-dot-etree-dot-org in relatively short order. The_Bus recently joined forces with etree. He has been seeding Bit Torrents for Grateful Dead live music sources - doing Projects year-by-year. Project 1977 just finished seeding and going around. Of course, I took quite a few rides on The_Bus. Wow! 1977 had for me some totally fantastic Sugaree sources - some of the best extended arrangements of Sugaree that were ever played! You can get all the Torrents for Project 1977 right here.

GD Project 1973 will be huge. Perhaps 174 FileSets - that's approximately 175 giga bytes. This includes all the AUDs for shows that were taped, and the best SBDs, MTXs, and MTXs-DTS for each show, based on availability. Countless man-hours of taping, transferring, remastering, patching, enhancing, synching, pitch-correcting, encoding, transcoding, making and verifying checksums, editing text files, and networking with everyone are involved. The_Bus has more than 40 hard drives full of this stuff. He will be seeding Torrents for GD Project 1973 in about 10 parts or so, averaging about 10 to 20 giga bytes each. Here is the etree database listing for GD Project 1973.

Keep an eye out over at bt-dot-etree
>>> It should be pretty soon <<<

perhaps you may wish to stay tuned over at
>>> The_Bus Forum <<<
IP address Logged

Turn on your Lovelight... and leave it ON!
John R
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

...you know this space is getting hot.

URL icon « Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 08:32:41 AM »

'81.  I was up at Music Mountain(?) somewhere outside of New Paltz with my then wife while attending culinary school.  My wife was not a fan of Jerry because he played more to his amps than the audience around this time.  Bobby/Midnights opened for JGB.  The approach road was a two lane road with both lanes going in the same direction, a serious logistical cluster.  It got to the point where traffic just stopped and everyone just pulled off to the side and walked to the venue.  It of course was drizzling/raining and my wife could stand no more once we got into the JGB set.  We left.  Got to the car and some guy was attempting to leave the same way we came in.  Somehow I talked some sense into him and got him to turn around and continue driving in the direction that all the cars were facing, and we sailed right out of there.  It would have taken hours the other way.   don't know why this popped in as a 'favorite' Jerry moment.

others:  any of the Vegas shows.  Brutally hot in the Silver Bowl, crazy Shakedown St., up for days running around Vegas.  6-7 people in '73 westy from Telluride, 11 hour drive. Good times
IP address Logged

"hey man, can I get a copy?", "sure, of what?", "the whole festival"
Mandojosh79
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 09:49:35 PM »

I never saw the fat man.. but the first time I heard him sing Reuben and Cerise on that tape with John Kahn... I cried... I was a typical angsty teen at the time and once I heard that tune, I needed more. I renounced three chord punk and whiny teen music for the boys.. and donna. Subsequently, i became a voracious listener of all dead projects... So thats my memory of Jerry.

Thumbs Up
IP address Logged

Gonna raise me an army some tough sons of bitches
Gonna recruit my army from the orphanages.
wyeknot108
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 10:33:42 AM »

I have many, many great memories - and I'm very thankful for them.

I'll pick out one that I can illustrate in the YouTube clip here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYjMCSlA6AU

Alpine Valley, WI 1989, the closing of the East Coast summer tour.  First night of three, 2nd set open with China->Rider and the energy of the crowd and band was palpable.  Jerry was as happy on stage as I'd ever seen him and it showed in the music. 

This was the third time I had traveled to Alpine and camped a few hundred yards from the gate - it was a special place.  We had tickets inside the pavilion which protected us from the rain.  We talked about the show for hours afterwards - at that time, it was right up there with the best I had seen.

Check out Jerry beaming grins on the "Downhill From Here" clip above.  Then go buy the DVD - it's worth it!!!

"...I'd shine my light through the cool Colorado rain..."   Flower

Matt
IP address Logged
patfromlogan

Festivation rating -420

URL icon « Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 07:51:27 PM »

Last night of the last Vegas shows when he said that he wasn't afraid of dying, but he was scared of the day "in between." And I realized that he'd shared his life/love/spirit with us, and was now sharing his coming death.

By the way, one of the vendors who'd seen every show for a year and a half said that that was the best show...
IP address Logged
Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 03:49:54 PM »

The first time I saw him live will always be one of my favorite memories. McNichols Auditorium, Denver, October 9, 1977, my 20th birthday.
The last time I saw Jerry in Las Vegas, June 1994.
And every time in between, especially Red Rocks and Telluride Town Park.

I miss you Jerry. Thank you for the music, thank you for the laughs, thank you for all that you did and still do.
IP address Logged

"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing. "  (Shunryu Suzuki)
Debbiefromtucson
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 04:01:40 PM »

I guess my favorite would have been on July 6, 1986. This was the concert at RFK stadium in Wash, DC that also featured Tom Petty and Bob Dylan. It was the day after we got married.. Some of the day is a bit blurry..LOL.. But, it sure was fun driving up I-95 ( way too fast since we slept in) popping champagne corks out the window with JUST MARRIED and "JERRY- Here we come" written on the back window.
IP address Logged

Debbie from Tucson
Pat in dairyland
Small Member

Festivation rating 100

URL icon « Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 08:35:40 PM »

My favorite Jerry moment still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.  My first trip to Alpine Valley in the second show Jerry sang an unbelievable Stella Blue.  Alpine Valley was always a great place to see the Dead and on this night it was crisp and cool and Jerry's voice and guitar sang so clearly in the Wisconsin air.

Makes me miss him all over again.  I always tell people that for me Jerry's death was like losing my favorite uncle on whose farm we held the family reunions.  Every show I went to was like a family reunion.

Planet Bluegrass is one of the other places I feel that way.

Now Playing icon Listening to: John Hartford
IP address Logged
Bevin
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 08:36:36 AM »

My favorite moment was seeing Jerry melt on stage at, oh, what show was that?  I can't remember...

But really, it was Halloween, 1992, his first show back after they canceled the GD '92 fall tour due to Jerry being sick (not the diabetic coma incident).  I still remember the Ain't No Bread in the Breadbox and the Shining Star from that night.  What a rowdy "welcome back Jerry" kinda night that was.

My second favorite "moment" was Hampton '86 when they played Visions of Johanna for the first time on night 1, Box of Rain on night 2 and a Supplication Jam on night 3.  Give me chills to think about it. 
IP address Logged

Copyright 2009, a production of Camp Totally Lit - All rights reserved

"There's always a Clapper."
livluvgrow
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

Festivaaal!

URL icon « Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 10:09:00 PM »

Rosemont 93 my first show. I looked down and saw the entire floor section on their knees praying like muslims that pray towards mecca. When I looked up on stage Jerry was there bigger than life seemed to me he was standing at the gates of heaven blue light glowing from behind his hair flowing in the wind. Freaked me out. To this day that is and will always be etched in my mined. All this was occurring opening of second set during I know you rider. Just after I watched the medics drag away a non responsive blue guy. Man what an introduction that night was.
IP address Logged

Up on the Blue Ridge Mountains, there I'll take my stand.
A rifle on my shoulder, six shooter in my hand;
Oh Lord, I been all around this world.
Hippie
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 01:06:18 PM »

I came back from a lunch break while working at a landscape garden show in fort mason one year. Looked up and there was Jerry, I did the proverbial double take and said "well hello Jerry".  Mean while, all of the other vendors are trying to swarm him for business or autographs while I got to hang with him for a couple of minutes and just be treated like a regular guy.

Very Cool....   :peace
IP address Logged

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. - Will Rogers
Pages: [1] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC