Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 10:06:15 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  R.I.P Barefoot Kenny
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: R.I.P Barefoot Kenny  (Read 4586 times)
Maple Al
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

🍁

URL icon « on: July 19, 2020, 12:38:53 PM »

Yesterday I learned of the passing of our good friend Barefoot Kenny. Another good friend that will be missing when we finally get back to seeing our favorite bands and festivals. I have always looked forward to seeing Kenny and Jan in town park, at Rockygrass and numerous Leftover Salmon shows. And with his mandolin at many picks. His playing with John Wood and Horseshoes and Hand Grenades at Runamuck is still one of my favorite memories. He always looked forward to me bringing my maple syrup and cheese curds from Wisconsin. Todd Snider did a nice tribute this morning on his "What It Is" show telling how Barefoot Kenny got included on a Jerry Jeff Walker song from Time As We Know It. Miss you Barefoot.

Now Playing icon Listening to: Continuing Saga Of the Classic Bummer : Todd Snider
IP address Logged

Seeing Sam Bush from 1976 on...
BillyBeru
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

"Good evening, music lovers!"

URL icon « Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 01:15:44 PM »

Todd Snider  The Continuing Saga Of The Classic Bummer

[Verse 2]
We drove to this bar
Outside of El Dorado Springs
Gonna drink a case of Fat Tire
Hear old Vince Herman sing
They had this antlered rabbit on the wall
Spiked horns and ears a foot tall
Barefoot Kenny told me it was a Colorado jackalope

Here's the Todd Snider version with the above lyrics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx5TT9ysp8Q

Now Playing icon Listening to: todd snider The Continuing Saga Of The Classic Bummer
IP address Logged

"How many of you have been at the festival all four days?"
swander99
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 09:39:53 AM »

Thumbs Up This is very cool, thx Billy. SKOL Barefoot Kenny  The Dude Cheers
Todd Snider  The Continuing Saga Of The Classic Bummer

[Verse 2]
We drove to this bar
Outside of El Dorado Springs
Gonna drink a case of Fat Tire
Hear old Vince Herman sing
They had this antlered rabbit on the wall
Spiked horns and ears a foot tall
Barefoot Kenny told me it was a Colorado jackalope

Here's the Todd Snider version with the above lyrics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx5TT9ysp8Q

Now Playing icon Listening to: The Continuing Saga of the Classic Bummer
IP address Logged

HEEN!
Maple Al
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

🍁

URL icon « Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 09:14:15 AM »

Barefoot Kenny memorial today at 4:00 in Jamestown. Jan is providing lots of pizzas and I'm sure that a few friends will be picking.

Now Playing icon Listening to: The Good Time Travelers
IP address Logged

Maple Al
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

🍁

URL icon « Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 12:00:37 PM »

I thought that it would be nice to pass along the program from yesterday's memorial. First of all we had his name wrong but that probably only adds to his legend.
Kenneth "Bearfoot Kenny" Joel Gray, 63 of Jamestown, Colorado died July 17, 2020 of complications related to colon cancer. Kenny was born August 4, 1956 the son of Mickey and HHerb Gray. At 23 he traveled across the country, landed in Colorado, and made his home along the Peak-to-Peak in the mountains of Nederland, Gold Hill, Ward and Jamestown.
Kenny was a talented auto mechanic who was well known by his neighbors, mountain community and touring musicians for his ability to swiftly diagnose and repair any problem on any vehicle (unless it was a German auto). He was known to have hauled a Cadillac out of the James Creek flood waters and proudly restored it to working order. Kenny's skill and understanding of mechanics extended beyond vehicles and he could repair almost anything he laid his hands on. Kenny saw the value and function in items left behind and had a plan for everything he collected.
Kenny loved music, especially bluegrass, and cherished his giant community of pickers and grinners. He made friends from coast to coast and across the world and he never hesitated to call 'em up and check in or stop by if he was passing through town. Kenny loved driving and road trips and having never had a cell phone, always used a atlas, a pay phone or a stranger's cell. He loved feeding people and was famous for his perfect cheesecake, his biscuits and gravy with no less than four sources of fat and white corn grits, his grilled London broil served medium rare and thinly sliced, and the chanterelles he hunted in secret spots in soggy years.
Kenny is survived by his ever loving partner Jan Reed, his daughter Katherine Schaefer-Gray, his brother Richard Gray and his sweet blue heeled Bella, and his dear friends whom he loved very much. He is preceded in death by his parents as well as many friends and loved ones.
Bearfoot Kenny will live forever in the myths and legends of the infamous bear-footed hippy.

Now Playing icon Listening to: Todd Snider Sunday morning
IP address Logged

swander99
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 12:19:09 PM »

Thanks for sharing that Al!  Cheers Flower I pert near made the memorial pick on my way thru to Purg last week,  Frown but the travel demons made sure I didn't.
I trust it was a grand pick, as always.  Festivarian The Dude Rest easy Barefoot. SKOL Kenny!  Cheers

Barefoot Kenny memorial today at 4:00 in Jamestown. Jan is providing lots of pizzas and I'm sure that a few friends will be picking.

Now Playing icon Listening to: Todd Snider
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 12:21:42 PM by swander99 » IP address Logged

HEEN!
Jessicarita
Kinda digging this festival thing...

Festivation rating 17

All who Yonder are not lost :)

URL icon « Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 11:52:08 AM »

It was very sad to hear of Barefoot Kenny leaving our world.  His kindness and generosity at every RockyGrass I attended for 11 yrs in a row and also seeing him up at my pub in Nederland (First Street Pub & Grill) back in the day.  I know many of us at camp will miss him.  His fun conversations.  His picking.  His biscuits and gravy.  Kether.  Jan.  I will pick some tunes for him here in Tampa, in loving memory...and be thankful for the next RockyGrass where we can lay some flowers by the spot he always camped at.
Love to his family ❤️❤️❤️ until we hug again xoxo
IP address Logged
Pages: [1] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC