Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 08:39:56 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Who has a comfy tent bed?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Who has a comfy tent bed?  (Read 11120 times)
aztoma
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « on: March 13, 2017, 07:40:33 PM »

I am thinking of getting a new air mattress for festival tent camping. Give me your pros/cons, what works/doesn't work.
I was thinking of something like this:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B019BGQTL2/ref=pe_1874560_229947020_em_1p_3_ti
(Queen air bed cot in case the link does not work)

Now Playing icon Listening to: The wind
IP address Logged

Everything that happens will happen today
& nothing has changed, but nothing's the same
and ev'ry tomorrow could be yesterday
& and ev'rything that happens will happen today
 - David Byrne
TellurideTom
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 426

URL icon « Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 10:52:34 AM »

I've got one that's similar (doesn't have the built in pump) that I had been using at Telluride for about ten years and I loved it.

The only things I have to say negative about it is the following:
1. The cold air in Telluride goes right through it, so you have to have some insulation between your sleeping bag and the bed.
2. It's rather slick, so blankets tend to slide around or off in extremely non-level situations. You actually have to tie the insulating blankets to the frame so they don't slide off.

Other than those stated above, it's a very comfortable bed as long as the air holds up and is inflated enough to a firm level.
I was always afraid of the mattress leaking and ending up in the middle of the accordion frame (not a pleasant thought) but it never happened.
Be sure to keep sharp or extremely hot items as far away from the bed as possible and everything should be fine.
It will hold two full grown adults but I'd be cautious about having children jumping up and down on one. LOL
IP address Logged

Happy Trails....Wave

You can check out my Domain site or follow me on Facebook
aztoma
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 09:27:38 PM »

Appreciate the advise Tom.
I have found that all to be true of my smaller mattress which is also why I was considering going larger as I also slide off the small one along with my blankets.

I was also wondering how sturdy the frame was on the one I posted. It is always good to have a sturdy bed. 😬

Now Playing icon Listening to: Way High Community Radio in Ward, CO
IP address Logged

- David Byrne
The Goat
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

Relax, Nothing is under control.

URL icon « Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 05:19:44 PM »

Just thought I'd throw out this alternative.

Speaking as an old infantry soldier who elk hunts in Colorado every year, an extra large cot with with a mattress pad on it is warm, and comfortable as all get-out.

This may not be your style, and I can't blame you if it isn't, but check this out:

XXL Cot

I have rocked this get-up in Town Park and it's mighty nice...doesn't lose air either...does require more room in the tent, but you can put stuff under the cot too.

Now Playing icon Listening to: Dusters - Laws of Gravity
IP address Logged

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
TheLorax27
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

SAFETY THIRD.

URL icon « Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 09:43:08 AM »

Just thought I'd throw out this alternative.

Speaking as an old infantry soldier who elk hunts in Colorado every year, an extra large cot with with a mattress pad on it is warm, and comfortable as all get-out.

This may not be your style, and I can't blame you if it isn't, but check this out:

XXL Cot

I have rocked this get-up in Town Park and it's mighty nice...doesn't lose air either...does require more room in the tent, but you can put stuff under the cot too.

I agree, I have a cot like this, put a sleeping pad on it and then an egg crate over that, so comfy and warmer than laying on an air mattress. Last year switched from this set up to an air mattress with a blanket under it and over it under our sleeping bags when my girlfriend got there and I really missed my cot.  I think we may do double cot this year.  You do need a big ole tent though. 

Now Playing icon Listening to: Lil Smokies
IP address Logged

Eat Drink and Be Merry!
Maple Al
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

🍁

URL icon « Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 01:32:06 PM »

Jeri and I have been using a futon mattress for our comfy Telluride tent bed. It's warmer and not as slippery as the larger air mattress. It's a bit bulky to get to and fro but seeing that you need a comfy bed for at least ten nights. Along with the heavy winter comforter our nights are comfortable not cold. And while a cot and mattress works it's not as conducive to cuddling and sex with your tent mate. And isn't that part of the reason we go to festivals.

Now Playing icon Listening to: Horseshoes and Hand Grenades at the Pabst
IP address Logged

Seeing Sam Bush from 1976 on...
The Goat
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 07:17:47 AM »

...And while a cot and mattress works it's not as conducive to cuddling and sex with your tent mate...

A very valid point in the context of Telluride with my wife...not so valid at hunting camp with my old army buddies. ;-)
IP address Logged

ToddG
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

Let's Pick!

URL icon « Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 07:44:14 AM »

We are trying to make that decision also. We normally just use our two person backpacking tent, with thermarest prolite pads. They are warm and comfy, but doesnt give you much space, and little wiggle room. We do have matching down bags that zip together for the sex part. Thinking of getting a big ass tent, just for festival/car camping. I agree that you'll never be colder than sleeping on a queen size air matress without added insulation!
IP address Logged

How come they don't turn the banjo up?
The Goat
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 02:24:05 PM »

That futon idea of Al's seems like a super solid idea.
IP address Logged

aztoma
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 09:40:10 AM »

I really like the futon idea... but not to sure about the bulk of hauling it around and storing it. But I don't like a cold bed which it sounds like a bigger air mattress would be.
The cots sound nice but I would like to ahhhhh keep my options open about company  Wink LOL
These are all good suggestions, keep them coming if anyone else has input.

81 days and counting!!!!!!!!

Now Playing icon Listening to: Caribou Mountain Collective
IP address Logged

- David Byrne
aztoma
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 09:42:56 AM »

Jeri, How do you haul a futon around? It seems so bulky.

Now I am looking at something in between, not too bulky and not a cold air mattress. Has anyone used one of these?

https://smile.amazon.com/LUCID-Inch-Folding-Mattress-Queen/dp/B00ENUINIO/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1490629314&sr=1-1&keywords=LUCID+4+Inch+Folding+Mattress+Queen

Now Playing icon Listening to: Leftover Salmon
IP address Logged

- David Byrne
ToddG
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

Let's Pick!

URL icon « Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 09:54:58 AM »

Jeri, How do you haul a futon around? It seems so bulky.

Now I am looking at something in between, not too bulky and not a cold air mattress. Has anyone used one of these?

https://smile.amazon.com/LUCID-Inch-Folding-Mattress-Queen/dp/B00ENUINIO/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1490629314&sr=1-1&keywords=LUCID+4+Inch+Folding+Mattress+Queen

When we use a blow up matress in cold weather we put a down comforter over the matress under the sheets. Adds a level of cushion as well.

Now Playing icon Listening to: Truckstop Honeymoon
IP address Logged

How come they don't turn the banjo up?
Hippie
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 04:59:23 PM »

Jeri and I have been using a futon mattress for our comfy Telluride tent bed. It's warmer and not as slippery as the larger air mattress. It's a bit bulky to get to and fro but seeing that you need a comfy bed for at least ten nights. Along with the heavy winter comforter our nights are comfortable not cold. And while a cot and mattress works it's not as conducive to cuddling and sex with your tent mate. And isn't that part of the reason we go to festivals.

I completly applaud you for this message      Flower
IP address Logged

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. - Will Rogers
Pages: [1] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC