Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 04:04:19 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Punch Brothers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Punch Brothers  (Read 12576 times)
gwg123co
Wondering when Small Member status will be achieved.

Festivation rating 15

URL icon « on: February 29, 2008, 11:50:30 AM »

A article in today's New York Times says the Punch Brothers are on the Tonight Show this evening. The article has way too much talk of O Brother and no mention of Bromberg but is an interesting take on the New York City bluegrass scene.
IP address Logged
Maineahhh
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

Bluegrass makes me happy.

URL icon « Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 12:40:22 PM »

cool! thanks for the heads up  Flower
IP address Logged

"A lot of the artists collaborate with one another on stage throughout the festival, leaving fans and musicians alike in awe. A bunch of us are old friends, and when we get here we want to band together... Anything goes here, people are ready for any kind of music." Sammy B on TBF
BluegrassDustin
Administrator
...is kind of a big deal

Festivation rating 420

Living Life With Delusions Of Banjur

URL icon « Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 01:32:54 PM »

NY Times article
IP address Logged

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those
who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Seuss

"An intellectual snob is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture and not think of The Lone Ranger."   -Dan Rather
gipper0324
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

<click!>

URL icon « Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 03:51:17 PM »

Courtness and I are writing our review of their show in L.A. last night...

For now, I'll say we were NOT disappointed!!
IP address Logged

"He's only gone crazy once. Decided to stay." - Townes Van Zandt
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 09:05:11 PM »

Niiiiiccccceeeee!  Thumbs Up

Auntie Hope  pickin
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
gipper0324
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

<click!>

URL icon « Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 01:32:40 PM »

Chris Thile and the Punch Brothers Review
by Courtney & Jen, Camp Get Enough

(CGE) Hollywood, CA, Thursday, February 28

Chris Thile and the Punch Brothers picked for a packed Troubadour Thursday night. While the looks of the historic club are very simple, black walls, two floors which included a tiny balcony with budget style seats, the club has been a staple location for L.A. music since 1957. Still we weren’t sure how many folks would show up at a L.A. Hollywood club for bluegrass, even as eccentric as Thilean bluegrass gets. We were crammed in a packed house with an audience who were as stoic as parishioners in church. No dancing, no swaying, no emotion. I’ve had a book of matches that were more lively than this bunch. However, at the end of every song, the place would erupt with a whooping applause… it actually shocked me the first few times that happened. Perhaps that’s the L.A… style.

Overall, The Punch Brothers concert was incredible. They have really tightened their game since their transitional days as “How to Grow a Bluegrass Band”. These guys have found the IT-factor. They have a natural chemistry that made it easy to get lost in their music and banter. Each musician’s solo was seamless… they played into each other’s riff so fluidly.

The show was divided into four movements… They began by playing the first two songs on each of their CDs. Then, during the second song on one of their CD’s, I looked at the way the light was playing off their ensemble and thought of a beautiful ballet. Later the banter between Chris and the bass player made me think of a bluegrass version of what might have happened at a John Coltrane concert. The most difficult part, coming from a festivarian soul, was feeling the spirits of the melodies long to be free amongst the trees, swirling around the club looking for a way out, not trapped, or stressed, just getting more crowded.

Our little Chris is all grown up, friends. It has been so sweet to see him break out on his own and become the success he has. He left the comfort zone of his ever-so-popular “childhood” band, Nickel Creek, and produced an incredibly talented group. He has learned what it takes to hold a stage presence not only as a musician, but as an overall entertainer. He appears comfortable engaging with the audience as well. He even put up with a comment (or two) from Courtney… and he responded by playing her request… eventually. (She’s still waiting for him to RSVP to her party.)

Chris is an extraordinary musician. The way he plays his mandolin is not unlike watching someone with Tourette’s tic across the stage complimented by his band, who seem to be the companions that know how to bring him back, only to go off again. His solo career is well-deserved, and we look forward to seeing where he goes here. Wait! That’s Telluride!!

If you haven’t already, pick up their latest CD, Punch. It won’t disappoint.  Thumbs Up

The opinions expressed herein are those of Camp Get Enough and do not necessarily represent the views of the festivarian community… or the L.A. bluegrass demographic, which is still a little foreign to us.  Abduct
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 07:14:24 PM by gipper0324 » IP address Logged

Bevin
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 11:42:25 AM »

Thanks for the great review.  Looks like a back-up career in music journalism is waiting for Jen if her Guerrilla Photoshop business doesn't take off.   I'm definitely looking forward to seeing punch Brothers this summer.  Getting stoked!
Bevin
IP address Logged

Copyright 2009, a production of Camp Totally Lit - All rights reserved

"There's always a Clapper."
gipper0324
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

<click!>

URL icon « Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 12:04:26 PM »

Hahaha

Thanks, Bevin. That wouldn't be such a terrible career to slide into if Photoshop ever became obsolete.   Wink

Actually, the review was a collaboration. The “four movements” paragraph (talking about the ballet and trees) was all Courtney. It’s exactly what she told me to think about when I was having a difficult time being at an INDOOR bluegrass concert.

BTW, they wouldn’t let me take pictures. Can you believe that??  Mad  I thought I could sneak in the camera and tripod... but they were doing cavity searches at the door.  EEK!
IP address Logged

Maineahhh
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

Bluegrass makes me happy.

URL icon « Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 01:33:02 PM »

if I remember, I'll post the video I took at the PB show a couple weeks ago! it was supposed to be a picture, but I pushed the wrong button . . .  Rolleyes
IP address Logged

"A lot of the artists collaborate with one another on stage throughout the festival, leaving fans and musicians alike in awe. A bunch of us are old friends, and when we get here we want to band together... Anything goes here, people are ready for any kind of music." Sammy B on TBF
Courtney
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

Festivarians Frolic Frequently

URL icon « Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 11:13:37 PM »

I have an idea, lets do one huge massive collaboration with all of us enjoying the music, cooking food, feeding each other snacks and beverages, enjoying more music, chatting in person, camping, sound -  oh wait, someone already thought of that. 

Wink See you soon Bevin et al.
IP address Logged

Did I remember to tell you how much I love you guys?
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 06:58:55 PM »

if I remember, I'll post the video I took at the PB show a couple weeks ago! it was supposed to be a picture, but I pushed the wrong button . . .  Rolleyes

FESTI-FOUL!!!!!!! I call Festi-Foul!

PB = Planet Bluegrass
PBR = Planet Bluegrass Ranch

PBros. = Punch Brothers

Justification and Usage in a Sentence:
Reading at work, or at home while also tryig to watch children or TV, may have caused some to wonder which Planet Bluegrass Show Sarah was lucky enough to attend.. and how the hell she was able to get from Maine to Colorado and back without Auntie Hope knowing in advance that she would be traveling to a PBros. show! Yeah! I'm getting old... but no need to cause confusion before it's proper time (June)!

All in Favor, Say FESTIVVVAAALLL!!!

Auntie Hope  pickin

By the Way, Sarah, you still  Rockin in my book!

Now Playing icon Listening to: The washer, dryer and the printer... I NEED TUNES!
IP address Logged

TellurideTom
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 426

URL icon « Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 07:52:30 PM »

FESTI-FOUL!!!!!!! I call Festi-Foul!

PB = Planet Bluegrass
PBR = Planet Bluegrass Ranch

PBros. = Punch Brothers

Justification and Usage in a Sentence:
Reading at work, or at home while also tryig to watch children or TV, may have caused some to wonder which Planet Bluegrass Show Sarah was lucky enough to attend.. and how the hell she was able to get from Maine to Colorado and back without Auntie Hope knowing in advance that she would be traveling to a PBros. show! Yeah! I'm getting old... but no need to cause confusion before it's proper time (June)!

All in Favor, Say FESTIVVVAAALLL!!!

Auntie Hope  pickin

By the Way, Sarah, you still  Rockin in my book!

Since the topic of this thread is "Punch Brothers" I don't think there's a foul. Flower
In this case, the initials PB fits. Wink
IP address Logged

Happy Trails....Wave

You can check out my Domain site or follow me on Facebook
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 09:15:03 PM »

Okay, the Administration has been heard from. I stand by my call...

FESTI-FOUL!  LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
IP address Logged

cletusaz
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 07:10:15 AM »

Would that make a PB & J.... Planet Bluegrass and Jams?  LOL Cheers
IP address Logged

If you like hard driving traditional bluegrass please check us out. 

www.myspace.com/headlinebluegrass

Thanks and much love!
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 09:35:55 AM »

Would that make a PB & J.... Planet Bluegrass and Jams?  LOL Cheers

Cheers
IP address Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC