Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 03:53:26 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Telluride Bluegrass Festival or Bust
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Telluride Bluegrass Festival or Bust  (Read 24454 times)
gregsfrontporch
Small Member

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 06:27:54 AM »

Not to worry.  Mary E is a nice camp ground, albeit a bit of a ride from town.
There are plenty of port potties in the campground, and for a shower, you can take the shuttle into town to the high school.
This is Telluride, Showers are overrated!
Have a great festivaaaaaaal!

Now Playing icon Listening to: NPR
IP address Logged
Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 12:00:50 PM »

Sugar we do have grizzlies in Colorado. They live more up by Steamboat though, so not much chance of seeing any around Telluride unless they are a long ways from home. Now some of the CAMPERS end up looking pretty grizzly after 10 days, but that's a whole different animal.
IP address Logged

"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing. "  (Shunryu Suzuki)
TellurideTom
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 426

URL icon « Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 12:26:13 PM »

Sugar we do have grizzlies in Colorado. They live more up by Steamboat though, so not much chance of seeing any around Telluride unless they are a long ways from home. Now some of the CAMPERS end up looking pretty grizzly after 10 days, but that's a whole different animal.

I resemble that remark. Evil
IP address Logged

Happy Trails....Wave

You can check out my Domain site or follow me on Facebook
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

3 chord's and a story that's me

URL icon « Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 01:03:02 PM »

Quote from: Cindy Lou link=topic=22972.ms
g113564#msg113564 date=1427392850
Sugar we do have grizzlies in Colorado.

That's a first Ms. Cindy Lou. Now don't go scaring people. I have never heard that before. Flower
IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
mountainjam
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 01:34:53 PM »

The last documented grizzly bear in Colorado was a female (with cubs) killed in 1979 (San Juan Mtns) when the female attacked at bow hunter. Prior to that, the last sighting in Colorado was in 1952. People continue to report grizzly bears sightings in the San Juan Mountains and the Bosque del oso area, but like bigfoot sightings, none can be documented.

IP address Logged
Hot Sugar
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

Camp Run a Muck

URL icon « Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 01:36:45 PM »

The last known Colorado grizzly was killed in 1979. The last confirmed sighting before that was in 1952. Grizzlies used to live in Colorado, but the large human population has made Colorado a poor habitat for grizzlies. Most reported sightings since 79 were shown to actually be black bears, who can have brown fur. In fact, it can be very difficult to distinguish between grizzlies and black bears.

Most wildlife biologists believe that if grizzlies still live in Colorado, they live in The San Juans. But most wildlife biologists also believe Grizzlies are no longer present in Colorado.
IP address Logged

"That spells clever not cleaver."
Hot Sugar
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

Camp Run a Muck

URL icon « Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 01:40:26 PM »

Looks like Nick posted first. So here's a fun activity that shows how difficult it is to distinguish between a grizzly and a black bear.

And here's an article talking about grizzlies in Colorado.
IP address Logged

Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #22 on: March 28, 2015, 11:26:03 AM »

It really isn't something to be concerned about, as seeing a bear around Telluride during festival is a pretty unlikely event. Nothing to be paranoid about. I would welcome a bear sighting again. I have been in Colorado for 39 years now and have seen several different types of bear, mostly in the woods, some crossing the highway, and one was in my front yard in 1996 eating ripe plums right off the tree. I saw another one on the front hill that goes up to Fort Lewis, and it was HUGE! It was the first one I saw and that was over 30 years ago, so who knows? It was also the biggest one I ever saw. The one in my yard was about 5 feet from me and on all fours when I first saw it. I was getting groceries out of my car and my dog was barking at something. I turned around and saw a big critter and thought "oh it's a dog. Wow that's a very BIG dog."  Turned back to my car, got a bag of cat food out, turned around and it was standing up and was about 2 feet from me, and I realized "It's the bear!" (we had seen bear scat under the tree earlier in the day.) My dog was barking at it and it was just looking at her, shaking its head, and I was afraid it was gonna whack her out into the street. I jumped into my car and finally got my dog in with me. The door to the house was open and I thought the bear was going to just go on in and make itself at home, but it ate a few plums and then jumped a 6-foot fence into the neighbors yard, and all I ever saw of it after that was the scat it left with all the plum pits in it. It was never threatening to me, and I never felt afraid of it. It was just hungry and the plums were RIPE!
Soooooo, don't be afraid of bears but don't leave food unattended in camp, don't hang hummingbird feeders in camp, don't leave dirty grills with food residue in camp, and don't leave trash where bears can get to it. Just be smart about it and don't tempt the bears. They smell food, they're going to look for it.  Okay have a great time!

IP address Logged

"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing. "  (Shunryu Suzuki)
Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #23 on: March 28, 2015, 11:27:01 AM »

The last documented grizzly bear in Colorado was a female (with cubs) killed in 1979 (San Juan Mtns) when the female attacked at bow hunter. Prior to that, the last sighting in Colorado was in 1952. People continue to report grizzly bears sightings in the San Juan Mountains and the Bosque del oso area, but like bigfoot sightings, none can be documented.

if she had cubs then what happened to them? Did he kill them too?
IP address Logged

Hot Sugar
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

Camp Run a Muck

URL icon « Reply #24 on: March 28, 2015, 01:14:35 PM »

From I've read, she had had cubs in the past, but not at the time of the attack.

From a CBS article:

"Wildlife workers brought out the pelt for a better look and judged the bear an older female. It may have been close to 20. Later examination showed the bear could have had cubs, but that would have been years in the past."

Now Playing icon Listening to: Travis Book
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 01:12:20 PM by Hot Sugar » IP address Logged

Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #25 on: April 02, 2015, 12:33:28 PM »

We must be reading different reports Sugar.  But like T Tom said, he is the type of grizzly huggy bear you will see at festival after a few days of camping.    Wink
IP address Logged

gregsfrontporch
Small Member

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #26 on: April 02, 2015, 03:54:06 PM »

Tom's a grizzly bear?
OMG, cue the "Sugar" pose!

Now Playing icon Listening to: Lot's o' Dead
IP address Logged
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #27 on: April 02, 2015, 04:37:04 PM »

Y'all need to stop manifesting this bear at fest. Shhhhhhhh...... :deer
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #28 on: April 02, 2015, 08:08:17 PM »

bear? oh I thought they said beer.  Cheers  Wink  LOL LOL LOL
IP address Logged

landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

3 chord's and a story that's me

URL icon « Reply #29 on: April 03, 2015, 08:40:04 AM »

bear? oh I thought they said beer.  Cheers  Wink  LOL LOL LOL

I knew u were reachin LOL LOL man I want it to be June Flower
IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC