Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 03:57:10 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Telluride Bluegrass Festival or Bust
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Telluride Bluegrass Festival or Bust  (Read 24458 times)
bfoster59

Festivation rating 23

URL icon « on: January 19, 2015, 10:41:22 AM »

Hello All, I will be traveling from Chicago to Telluride for the festival this year. Finally got tickets after a couple years of trying "Yeah"!! I'm curious if there are any others traveling for the Chicago land area? Now that I have tickets I'm struggling with travel and lodging. Travel will be easier to resolve than lodging. What/where are some reasonably priced accommodations for this festival. I'm cool with traveling 25miles daily but obviously it would be better to be close by. Camping is also an option but the wife is a little worried about getting gobbled up by a bear :) Anyway, any feedback would be great and most definitely appreciated.

Thank you,

Bob
IP address Logged
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 08:21:26 PM »

Bob,
Please tell your wife that in 8 years I have never seen a bear in Telluride. Beer, yes, I have seen plenty of beer..... but not a single bear. Elk, on the Valley Floor, which is a scenic area just before you arrive in Telluride proper.. but no bear. Magpies, ground squirles, chipmunks, a 1970's Tennis Team, a Gorilla and a naked lady doing the Tarp Run several mornings in a row.. but alas, not one stinkin' BEAR!!!

Auntie Hope  :festivarian2 :green
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
bfoster59

Festivation rating 23

URL icon « Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 08:33:01 PM »

Thanks Auntie Hope, I'll share that with her. What are the temperatures in the area during June, especially in the evenings? Also, do you have any insight into camping in the area?
Thanks again,
Bob
IP address Logged
TellurideTom
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 426

URL icon « Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 09:17:07 AM »

I've been coming to the festival for 34 years and haven't seen a single bear.
Condo's are going to be expensive. It's not going to be like staying at the Motel 6. It will be more like staying in the presidential suite at the Hilton, money wise.

Check out the 2015 Festival Camping on the Planet Bluegrass site.
Read a bit of the forum for insight into what camping area you may want to grab, but do it soon before they sell out.
Welcome to the family. Wave
IP address Logged

Happy Trails....Wave

You can check out my Domain site or follow me on Facebook
bfoster59

Festivation rating 23

URL icon « Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 09:31:26 AM »

Thanks Tom, Camping would be the preference for me for sure. It should make for a wonderful experience, assuming it does not get below 30 in the evening :) I'll snoop around the forum's to see what I come up with, meanwhile if anyone has suggestions please feel free to drop me a note.

Thanks again Tom and happy to be part of the family,

Bob 
IP address Logged
swander99
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 09:47:25 AM »

Thanks Tom, Camping would be the preference for me for sure. It should make for a wonderful experience, assuming it does not get below 30 in the evening :) I'll snoop around the forum's to see what I come up with, meanwhile if anyone has suggestions please feel free to drop me a note.
Thanks again Tom and happy to be part of the family,
Bob 

Hi Bob, welcome to Festivaaaal! My crew rolls to TBF from Mpls. We camp in Town Park and love it. The temps can range from 80's in the sunlight, to upper 30's in the shadows. (tall peaks cast long shadows... new song title?) A good sleeping bag and a quality pad, or cot works wonderfully. If you're considering camping at all, I would suggest grabbing a THS http://shop.bluegrass.com/telluride/camping/telluride-bluegrass-camping-high-school-requires-4-day-pass right now and continue to consider your options. I loved camping there when I first started. You're in town and can walk everywhere. You don't need to cook if you don't want to. (Grocery with prepared foods very near)  Cheers
CU there!

Now Playing icon Listening to: Radio Heartland
IP address Logged

HEEN!
bfoster59

Festivation rating 23

URL icon « Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 05:04:01 PM »

Thanks swander99, I just checked and apparently they do not allow alcohol on the property. That's a bummer for camping, I kind of like to sit around the fire with a cold one and enjoy the moment. Is that the only camping in town? Your right though, it may be my only option if I don't find something soon. All the hotels are in the 300 to 400 range per night. It would be nice to be able to walk everywhere rather than drive 30 to 40 minutes.  I checked Town Park and didn't see any restrictions there but first come first serve is a concern. How do you manage to land a spot coming from Mpls?

Bob
IP address Logged
swander99
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 10:08:15 AM »

We arrive early, and stay late. Driving(TP land rush...it's the hap,hap,happiest time of the year!) The 4 1/2 days of festivaaaal are so full, you really just need a place to rest, IMHO. The last several years the DNR has banned fire in the canyon(propane fire pits are OK). A few years back the smoke & ash from a wildfire 50 miles away billowed thru fest  Frown) The music is going from morn to midnight, and you can always find more @ NightGrass or in the bars if fest is not enough (THS' Palm Theater has 3 NG shows). There's no wide open "party" scene, but everybody is so happy there, you won't miss much. And nobody comes through checking thermos for contents... btw, I try to have two thermos with me, one for water.  Cheers Did I mention to drink lots of water?  Dr. Love Great free water station @ Festivaaaal!

Now Playing icon Listening to: Radio Heartland
IP address Logged

HEEN!
TellurideTom
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 426

URL icon « Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 12:05:38 PM »

It would be nice to be able to walk everywhere rather than drive 30 to 40 minutes. 

Just to clarify, you will not be able to drive into town from any camping area.
Only local residents with a barricade pass will be allowed to drive in and out of town during the festival.
You will be allowed to drive in to drop your camping gear off with proof of camping pass, and then park your vehicle.
If you are coming into town from a distance every day, you will be told where to park when you get close to town.
All transportation to the festival from outlying camping will be done by shuttle.

Town Park and Warner Field camping (right next to the festival grounds) is sold via lottery every year and happens in November.
IP address Logged

Happy Trails....Wave

You can check out my Domain site or follow me on Facebook
Hot Sugar
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

Camp Run a Muck

URL icon « Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 03:44:00 PM »

If drinking beer around a fire while being serenaded by a group of musicians is your thing, then Mary E Illium is the campground you want. It has some drawbacks (the shuttle ride to get into town being the big one), but it is the only campground that allows fires. The area itself is incredible. You're camping in a scenic forested area with a river running through camp.
IP address Logged

"That spells clever not cleaver."
bfoster59

Festivation rating 23

URL icon « Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 05:38:50 AM »

Thanks for all your input, I'll keep you posted on my final destination. Thank you all.
IP address Logged
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

3 chord's and a story that's me

URL icon « Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 05:54:16 AM »

Wave Hi Bob! I am originally from the North side born and raised in Chicago, Great town! I live in Golden CO now and have attended this Fest many times.

There are bears in the woods but there are so many people in town for fest it is very unlikely you will see a bear. I hike solo early morning and have never seen a bear. However don't put a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in your tent just to be on the side of caution. LOL!

Try to camp as close as you can and as soon as you can. It can get cold and does at least one night but Colorado cold is dry so it is much more bearable and is not a problem for camping.
 I condo cause I sleep better but camping is so much more fun. Lots of music day and night and if you play bring it along.

OK homie now make your move, lets do this thing! Medal
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 07:43:13 AM by landshark » IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
Hot Sugar
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

Camp Run a Muck

URL icon « Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 10:43:28 AM »

One of the great things about black bears is that they don't like strange noises. Grizzlies, too, but they don't have any of those in Colorado. Where a Polar Bear is attracted to strange noises out of curiosity, a black bear will avoid them. And I'm sure we don't need to tell you about all the strange noises that we make in the campground during festival.
IP address Logged

"That spells clever not cleaver."
bfoster59

Festivation rating 23

URL icon « Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 05:05:20 AM »

Excellent, I'm starting o get really stoked now. I have been trying to get to this festival for a few years now and it's finally happening. Can't wait.. Thanks again.
IP address Logged
bfoster59

Festivation rating 23

URL icon « Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 06:00:46 AM »

Got my campsite at Mary E Ilium and was just doing some further research. Apparently there are no washrooms or showers available there. Does anyone know how this is handled at this campground? Can't go 4 days without a shower and definitely do not want to drive 7 miles to use the restroom.
IP address Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC