Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 03:24:54 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Gretchen Wintringham passing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Gretchen Wintringham passing  (Read 8548 times)
Pete
Small Member

Festivation rating 115

URL icon « on: November 19, 2014, 08:11:52 PM »

Just saw on facebook that Gretchen Wintringham has passed away.  Anyone have any more info?  Services or anything.  Condolences and all our love to Bobby.  Hang in there brother.   Anything we can do let us know.
IP address Logged
HuckinFappy
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

Jammin w' Jaco

URL icon « Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 10:18:51 PM »

Hey all...I came here to do this myself, but Pete beat me to it.

I know a lot of you loved her.  She's been a part of my life for 25 years, and I loved her like a sister, a mother, and a very special friend.  I want to respect whatever privacy Bobby might want, and I haven't called him, so I'm going out on a limb a little.

Gretchen fought a battle with Cancer a couple of years back, and had gotten it into remission.  Unfortunately it returned, and by the time she caught it, it had spread too far.  It was quick this time I think.   We were still spreading word around Camp Billy about how sick she was, when we got the news today.

Right now there are no plans for a single celebration of her life.   I heard one friend planning something for Spring, she mentioned other people were talking December.   So my guess is we'll all have lots of opportunities to join together in celebration and remembrance.

Gretchen has touched many of our lives in so many ways.   We'll miss her light and love shining on all we do, and will strive to spread the light and love in her honor.
IP address Logged
TellurideTom
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 426

URL icon « Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 09:42:03 AM »

Yes, Bobby needs time to gather himself before thinking about celebrations.
It's too soon yet to make plans involving so many of their friends, family, and acquaintances.
There will be a chance for all to celebrate her life, but for now we just need to let the grieving process take it's course.
Heaven has gained a special angel. Flower
IP address Logged

Happy Trails....Wave

You can check out my Domain site or follow me on Facebook
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

3 chord's and a story that's me

URL icon « Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 03:21:33 PM »

So sorry for Bobby. Rest in peace
IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
Maple Al
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

🍁

URL icon « Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 07:38:53 PM »

Sad to hear of Gretchen passing. Condolences to Bobby and family including her Festivarian family. To me the true official start of Telluride Bluegrass was the potluck at camp Billy with Gretchen getting us all in a circle and giving a invocation that always mentioned those of our family who were no longer with us before we enjoyed a great meal and festival. Our circle will be missing her so much this coming year but will be full of lot of warm memories and love.
Take care.
IP address Logged

Seeing Sam Bush from 1976 on...
Dancin-feet
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 08:57:35 AM »

Gretchen was such an amazing woman, she always had a smile for everyone and always took time to say hello.
I admired that woman but failed to tell her so.
Gretchen, I know that the four winds have blown you safely home and that you were loved more than you will ever know.
You will be missed but you will always be remembered... the lady with the parasol...
IP address Logged

With music in our lives we are able to express ourselves in so many ways, with instruments, vocals, dance and movement. This can be done solo or with others. Music is not only entertainment, it is a way of life.
Pirate Looks at --
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 08:20:59 AM »

The key word there "Lady" what a gracious Lady Gretchen was. RIP.
IP address Logged

"A Pirate Looks at --"
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 03:05:49 PM »

In 2007, my first year, a Kaptain and Hippie took me to the Tuesday Night Songwriter's Pick at, what was then, The Arizona Bowl (Camp). Somewhere along the musical way that evening, I was fortunate enough to be standing next to Gretchen and we were harmonizing through a tune, turning to grin at each other now and then. I was caught off guard by the big hug when the tune was over. The sincerity and joy of making music together was mutual, I realized in that moment. That moment became a defining "fest" moment, when in 2008 Gretchen asked if I had been listening and picked up on a reggae tune that she and Bobby had ben singing the first few days of camping.

I had listened, and during the Oyster BBQ when the afternoon pick started, I turned to see Gretchen grinning me over from the kitchen sink in Run-A-Muck. I grabbed the dish towel and skipped over to harmonize with her through the tune. At one point she grinned and leaned over in my ear. "Can you hear all the Shantis?". I looked behind us to the right, one Shanti, the left, one Shanti, and straight ahead, two Shanti guitars. I knew the sound I was hearing was high quality. Gretching taught me, in that moment, how to appreciate the great sound in Telluride, and the quality musicians that brought the joyous sound to life. It wasn't until 2009 that I learned it was Bobby crafting the mandolins that filled out the joy in those same picking circles.

2010, '11, '12 and '13 - the same. Once a year, at the very least, Gretchen and I found ourselves in tune (thank goodness) and next to each other, singing and experiencing the pure joy of a Telluride Jam. Benchmark moments each and every year, and those hugs were exchanged with more laughs and I Love You's than I can count.

Then came 2014, and the, now Camp Billy, Pot Luck Dinner. I can still see Jeri, Al and John Wood standing to my left, Bobby and Gretchen at the head of the large oval, held together by all our hands and hearts. Gretchen's... if you will indulge me... call to the spirits and souls of festivals past... call to the great energy that builds in the canyon through the week... call to the friendships that we returned to each year... call to the love inside each of our souls... and the blessing of the food we were about to share.

Early Sunday morning is when John Wood was helicoptered out of Telluride. Late Sunday afteernoon is when I  was wandering aimlessly across the festival field and saw that famous parisol being closed up so Gretchen could sing and dance. As I passed she reached out and pulled me into her arms. We sang together, and danced, and sang some more. "Look at all this !JOY! Hope! Just look at it! " Gretchen huged me again, and off I went, to be the voyeur of !JOY! To fill my soul with the sights of toddlers dancing for the first time on their own two feet, the sight of a child taking those first walking steps from a mother to the open arms of a Grandmother. Couples of all ages, lovers really, spinning each other around, the love like a bright light between them. Happy vendors. Beer being toasted among friends. Food being shared. Backs being patted in the sound tower. Hands being shook in the poser pit.

Little moments of pure joy, on square tarps, and circles of friends all around. Little moments of my festival spirit returning slowly after a long hard day, but not a nearly long enough, very, very good festival of peace... and music... and love... it's just never enough for us.... and now our spirits will carry the memory of moments with Grethen's, her pure joy, and the joy she shared with all, in all that she did at festival.

I will always be grateful for my moments with our Sweet Gretchen and will happily carry her joy with me to FESTIVVVAAALLL!!! each and every year to come.
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
Pages: [1] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC