Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 05:55:49 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Holographic Jerry
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Holographic Jerry  (Read 15909 times)
dayton
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

instagram.com/ashevilledayton

URL icon « on: July 04, 2014, 08:17:05 AM »

The Dead to perform two exclusive shows with Holographic Jerry Garcia!
http://liveforlivemusic.com/news/the-dead-to-perform-two-exclusive-shows-with-holographic-jerry-garcia/#.U7a2uY1dXhI

...About the use of hologram-Jerry, CEO Sam Watts said, "We're very excited that The Grateful Dead have decided to use our holographic Jerry. Once we ensure that these performances are well-received, there's no telling what we'll do. We could even be looking at a nationwide tour."
 EEK!

Now Playing icon Listening to: Yonder 2.6.14
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 08:21:58 AM by dayton » IP address Logged

“Life is like music for its own sake. We are living in an eternal now, and when we listen to music we are not listening to the past, we are not listening to the future, we are listening to an expanded present.” ― Alan W. Watts
Hot Sugar
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

Camp Run a Muck

URL icon « Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 11:16:19 AM »

This sort of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I get the idea, and I am one of the young fans who never got to see Jerry live that the article mentions, but this seems like a cheap attempt to cash in on Jerry 19 years after his death. I find this to be an incredibly disrespectful move. You simply can't replace Jerry with some kind of computer generated image, no matter how cool the science is. Jerry's spirit and energy flowed through his playing in ways that science can't replicate. Music, especially the music of the Grateful Dead, is an art, not a science.

It sucks that I'll never get to see Jerry play, but I've come to terms with that. I'll check out every Further and Dark Star Orchestra show that comes my way, but I can't get behind this.

Now Playing icon Listening to: New Grass Revival
IP address Logged

"That spells clever not cleaver."
ebb01
Small Member

Festivation rating 20

URL icon « Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 05:45:12 PM »

This sort of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I get the idea, and I am one of the young fans who never got to see Jerry live that the article mentions, but this seems like a cheap attempt to cash in on Jerry 19 years after his death. I find this to be an incredibly disrespectful move. You simply can't replace Jerry with some kind of computer generated image, no matter how cool the science is. Jerry's spirit and energy flowed through his playing in ways that science can't replicate. Music, especially the music of the Grateful Dead, is an art, not a science.

It sucks that I'll never get to see Jerry play, but I've come to terms with that. I'll check out every Further and Dark Star Orchestra show that comes my way, but I can't get behind this.

As someone who did see the Dead many times,  as well as JGB in places large and small,  I have to disagree. One theme that ran through the Dead's years on the road was the embrace of technogies.  From recording the acid tests,  to crazy light shows,  to the Wall of Sound,  to allowing tapers with what passed as portable rigs in those days,  to putting out the amazingly recorded Grateful Dead movie,  to Mickey and Phil's weird music explorations,  etc.,  etc.  the Dead always explored new pathways and tecnologies.  Some worked,  some didn't.  I say bring it on,  and we'll see how it goes.  And I'm sure you noticed this was put out on April Fool's Day.

Now Playing icon Listening to: The Wheel
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 05:48:11 PM by ebb01 » IP address Logged
Hot Sugar
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

Camp Run a Muck

URL icon « Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 07:56:32 AM »

As someone who did see the Dead many times,  as well as JGB in places large and small,  I have to disagree. One theme that ran through the Dead's years on the road was the embrace of technogies.  From recording the acid tests,  to crazy light shows,  to the Wall of Sound,  to allowing tapers with what passed as portable rigs in those days,  to putting out the amazingly recorded Grateful Dead movie,  to Mickey and Phil's weird music explorations,  etc.,  etc.  the Dead always explored new pathways and tecnologies.  Some worked,  some didn't.  I say bring it on,  and we'll see how it goes.  And I'm sure you noticed this was put out on April Fool's Day.

I didn't. And now everything makes sense.
IP address Logged

"That spells clever not cleaver."
dayton
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

instagram.com/ashevilledayton

URL icon « Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 12:45:59 PM »

despite the april 1st release of this article, i believe this is going to be happening sometime soon...i heard from a source that there will be some trials of this technology at one of two festivals late summer/early fall.  and heard another rumor too...that if/when this holographic tour takes off, the band will go by the name of the Grateful Dead as 50th anniversary tour...

shall wait and see...

Now Playing icon Listening to: Grateful Dead 5.5.77
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 01:09:46 PM by dayton » IP address Logged

“Life is like music for its own sake. We are living in an eternal now, and when we listen to music we are not listening to the past, we are not listening to the future, we are listening to an expanded present.” ― Alan W. Watts
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

3 chord's and a story that's me

URL icon « Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 06:19:02 AM »

I have been to  an outstanding Hologram Art Studio in Sante Fe and it was just unreal! I think this is a great idea. Me a lover of music never jumped on the Dead Train. I was into Hendrex, Blues and missed out. Never saw a show and to this day dont know most Dead songs. I have no idea why not. So to me this would be a crazy good exhibit. A small taste of the past. Medal

Wave Yo yo Dayton and LaLa! Flower
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 06:20:44 AM by landshark » IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
IMHBTR
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 07:49:35 AM »

As long as the holographic Jerry forgets
lyrics, then I'm down with it Wink
IP address Logged
Maple Al
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

🍁

URL icon « Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 09:35:46 AM »

When this first came out someone suggested using a cardboard cutout of Jerry, it's not like he moved around that much on stage and would be much cheaper.

Now Playing icon Listening to: High Country
IP address Logged

Seeing Sam Bush from 1976 on...
ebb01
Small Member

Festivation rating 20

URL icon « Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 10:19:22 AM »

The terrific Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ought to run with this idea.  Can you imagine the all-star band(s) they could come up with for "new" shows?
 Thumbs Up
IP address Logged
Pages: [1] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC