Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 10:36:25 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  BANJO on mainstream television!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: BANJO on mainstream television!!!  (Read 7167 times)
g-luv
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « on: November 08, 2007, 06:10:58 PM »

Hey y'all,

Has anyone else been watching The Next Great American Band on Fox?  It's on Fridays at 7:00 pm (at least here in Colorado--check your listings).  It's a talent contest produced by the American Idol folks, so if you've seen Idol, you kinda know what to expect format-wise.

I've been watching it for the past couple of weeks because I heard on another message board that there is a bluegrass band in the running, Cliff  Wagner and Old No. 7.  I am so excited just to see banjos on prime time television that I have actually been voting for him.  Yep, that's right.  I was pretty much convinced after I saw this hilarious home grown video on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UidZ3tzVJ8s

Anyhow, anyone else watching?  Let's chat about it!  And the rest of you, check it out if you're around tomorrow evening...

g-luv
IP address Logged
Hippie
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 08:18:51 PM »

Ohh Garian - Wave

Thank you for that, I had a really hard day at the theatre and the video really cheered me up

Flower Flower Flower

Cheers

Now Playing icon Listening to: Beef stew bubbling - it's time for dinner
IP address Logged

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. - Will Rogers
g-luv
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 10:57:45 PM »

Glad I could help ya out Jerry!!

Re: The Old # 7...  I just noticed that their guitar player is named Craig Ferguson, LOL!!!
IP address Logged
Matt and Becky
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 10:25:53 AM »

Garian, I saw the very first episode.  I too was blown away to see a banjo on mainstream tv.  They didn't sound bad either.  They played an original tune and you could tell that the judges were kind of impressed, but really weren't sure what to think.  So they played a very short version of Like a Virgin, which won over the judges over and advanced them to the next round.  It sounds like they play mostly originals, but I'm guessing they will have to work up some pop tunes to cover to advance.  What else have they already played on the show?

Matt
IP address Logged
vivalarock
Kinda digging this festival thing...

Festivation rating 14

URL icon « Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 12:45:33 PM »

I've seem them live a couple of times, they live in my home town. Their pretty good but not great.  It's better than no bluegrass at all. 

Now Playing icon Listening to: Moby
IP address Logged
g-luv
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 09:14:01 AM »

That's my feeling:  better than no banjos at all.

I think their level of musicianship and professionalism fits with the parameters of the show.  I don't think the producers were looking for the very best, hottest bands in each genre.  I think they wanted bands that could use the exposure and experience and show improvement throughout the series.

During the Elton John week they did "Honky Cats," which Spring Creek also does (as did their mentors Country Gazette).  Last Friday was Billy Joel week and they did "You May be Right."

The Clark Brothers (another band on the show) were in the traditional Clark Family Band for years, but they perform as a trio on national tv with no fiddle or banjo or bass.  The sound is just a little too quiet with an acoustic trio.
IP address Logged
g-luv
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 01:50:29 PM »

So, the show is on tonight...  if you're home watch and vote!!!
IP address Logged
Pages: [1] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC