Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 08:47:58 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Albuquerque
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Albuquerque  (Read 7160 times)
zack_adcock
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « on: June 03, 2013, 09:35:02 PM »

Friends,
We're staying in Albuquerque for two nights in advance of Festival and I was wondering if anyone has any recs for food/fun? We have an almost two year old, so late night stuff won't be an option, but we have a day to play in town and figure there's something fun to do beer/food/kid related.

Thanks for your help

Z
IP address Logged
Debbiefromtucson
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 10:42:55 PM »

There is a really great science museum or perhaps it was a Natural history museum we went to once- very hands on/kids friendly.. I don't remember the exact name. Maybe someone else can you give you details. It was a longtime ago I was there
IP address Logged

Debbie from Tucson
Skubes
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 07:48:21 AM »

I've spent a lot of time in Albuquerque as a kid and adult.  Debbie's right about the Natural History Museum, and I really enjoy the Rio Grande Nature Center, also a great kid & adult friendly attraction.  (Disclaimer: no kids of my own, just happy memories).  They're not too far from each other either. 

The museum is right by the Old Town plaza, touristy but fun, and the Church Street Cafe is excellent - a block off the main square.  Also a fan of the Frontier, but that's more nostalgia than a great food recommendation.  Wink
IP address Logged
AnythingAtAll
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 11:07:57 AM »

In addition to that mentioned above-

Albuquerque BioPark (Zoo), Botanic Garden, Tingley Beach, Aquarium: http://www.cabq.gov/culturalservices/biopark

Minor League Baseball (Albuquerque Isotopes) have home games 14th-17th.

Albuquerque Events calendar: http://www.cabq.gov/events

Ride the Tram from town to the top of the Sandia Mountains: http://sandiapeak.com/

Google:  Albuquerque Brew Pub or Albuquerque Breweries...depends on where you're staying and it's hard to go too wrong.

Sunsets: Approx. 300 out of 365 days/yr, each evening just before dusk...

Dion's makes pizza that kids and grown-ups enjoy, there's plenty of good New Mexican food places where you can get green or red chile piled on food (like Sadie's or Garcia's kitchen or even Weck's for breakfast,) there's 2 Whole Foods stores, 2 Total Wine stores for liquor/wine/beer, Sam's Club and Costco if you need to stock up before heading north.

Welcome...

Ron in Albuquerque
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 11:27:25 AM by AnythingAtAll » IP address Logged
zack_adcock
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 08:18:49 AM »

Thanks for all the help! We're staying at the Monterey Inn which is not far from many of these things; glad to know the close stuff is worthwhile!

Z
IP address Logged
completejohn
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

Let the fest begin!

URL icon « Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 11:55:57 AM »

You're gonna be by a lot of the touristy places, but can I make one suggestion - don't eat IN Old Town.  All around Old Town, OK, but not right there.  Walk north to the High Noon for NM food, or a little farther to Seasons (little more upscale), or another 2 blocks up to St. Clair Winery.  Go east a few blocks to Duran's Pharmacy (a  locals place for NM food).  Vinagrette, across the street from Duran's is nice, fresh but expensive.  Even going west is OK (Mariscos for Mexican seafood).  but for the most part the restaurants on the Old Town square are not that great.

The Bio Park and Zoo are both pretty nice and you can take a train from one to the other.

The most popular brewery is Marble, on 1st street north of Lomas.  Popular with everyone excpet me.  I can't seem to find a beer there that I absolutely love.  But there is a business park between Candelaria and Comanche, and I-25 and Girard that has two (maybe three?) breweries that I really like.

You[ll also be pretty close to 2 of Albq's hottest neighborhoods.  Going east on Central, you'll head thru downtown to EDO (East Downtown) where there are several good restaurants (and possible Bevin sightings!).  A few miles later, past UNM, you'll hit the Nob Hill area.  Here there are LOTS of restaurants, two breweries (Tractor has GREAT food trucks outside!) and lots of people watching.
IP address Logged

There are only THREE things in life...and I forget what they are!
- John Hiatt
Bevin
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 11:59:21 AM »

I can certainly vouch for the restaurants in the "EDo" neighborhood. 

Google for: The Grove Cafe - for the best coffee/espresso drinks in the universe (they serve Intelligentsia) and the best breakfast/lunch in town.  But do NOT arrive at Noon.  The lines out the door will attest to my recommendation. 

Just down the street from The Grove is Farina Pizzeria, which is excellent as well. 

Our AAA ball park is amazing so if you like baseball, that's some good, cheap fun in the evening, with views of the mountains.

Have fun in 'Burque' !!
IP address Logged

Copyright 2009, a production of Camp Totally Lit - All rights reserved

"There's always a Clapper."
oddfired
URL icon « Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 12:30:31 PM »

Explora-the kids will LOVE it an so will you: http://www.explora.us/en/

Also Cliffs Amusement Park if you want to cool off-on San Mateo-then just south I like Sweet Tomatoes for a healthy lunch or dinner.
IP address Logged
zack_adcock
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 01:28:45 PM »

Explora looks awesome. Any experience with the Toddler Time element of it? That sounds appealing, as our girl (not quite 2) LOVES other kids her age.
IP address Logged
oddfired
URL icon « Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 02:01:37 PM »

Explora looks awesome. Any experience with the Toddler Time element of it? That sounds appealing, as our girl (not quite 2) LOVES other kids her age.

Sorry I don't
IP address Logged
Pages: [1] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC