Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 08:56:55 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Seeking Suggestions for Post-TBF Road-Trip Adventures
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Seeking Suggestions for Post-TBF Road-Trip Adventures  (Read 11093 times)
JesiRae42
Kinda digging this festival thing...

Festivation rating 30

URL icon « on: June 02, 2012, 09:31:04 AM »

Wave

Hi All,

I will be embarking on a post TBF summer road trip and am looking for suggestions of places to go, things to see, food to eat. Or if someone wants to play tour-guide with me that would be spectacular and I would gladly buy you a meal from your favorite restaurant.

I'll be going through Great Basin NP, South Tahoe, Yosemite NP, Monterey, San Fran, Medford/Ashland OR, Bend OR, Portland, Hood River OR, Ketchum ID, Missoula, Bozeman and Jackson before returning for RockyGrass.

From RockyGrass I'll be heading south to Dunes NP, Pagosa Spgs, Taos, Santa Fe, Flagstaff, Sedona and on to the Golden Circle before ending in Vegas.

I am super excited about this adventure and any tips anyone could provide on any of these locations would be much appreciated.

If you feel particularly giving I am still looking for places to park/pitch/sleep in Hood River, Ketchum, Bozeman and Jackson  Flower

Thanks friends  Cheers
IP address Logged

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams-Eleanor Roosevelt

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. -The Lorax
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 10:36:57 AM »

Plenty of things to suggest but...

Can you provide start (Telluride Blue Monday, of course) and end dates for your travels?

Missoula, Montana has an awesome FREE street Fest downtown, River City Roots Festival, run by one of our very own Festivarians, near the end of August.  Thumbs Up

Then there's Four Corners Folk Festival, Labor Day weekend, in Pagose Springs, Colorado, which is heavily attended by the Festivarian Family.

Safe Travels!!!  Thumbs Up

Auntie Hope  :festivarian2 :green
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
JesiRae42

Festivation rating 30

URL icon « Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 11:14:34 AM »

Start date is indeed Blue Monday (in an attempt to counteract the affects of Blue Monday) the northern route will take approximately a month as I will return from Jackson on/about July 24th to get in the RockyGrass line. 

For a detailed list of dates you can view my planning maps:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=212161989100804321906.0004c0cbe8d6a8588080f&msa=0&ll=46.407564,-113.862305&spn=20.431965,29.355469https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=212161989100804321906.0004c0cbe8d6a8588080f&msa=0&ll=46.407564,-113.862305&spn=20.431965,29.355469

The southern route will start most likely July 31st and will end in Vegas on August 21st.
This routes dates are still being worked out but also map available here:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=212161989100804321906.0004c15bc97355425a305&msa=0

Unfortunately this means I will miss both Fests you mentioned but I'm sure somehow I will survive  Wink
IP address Logged

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams-Eleanor Roosevelt

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. -The Lorax
Hot Sugar
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

Camp Run a Muck

URL icon « Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 02:59:29 PM »

Missoula is a great town. There is so much to do there. Floating the river, fishing in the river, frisbee golf, hiking, walking around the beautiful downtown area and so much more.

I'd recommend going through Yellowstone on your way out of Montana. You can access the West Entrance through West Yellowstone or the North Entrance through Livingston/Gardiner very easily from Bozeman, but if you have the time, I'd suggest going to Red Lodge, MT, and taking the Beartooth Highway to Cooke City and entering Yellowstone there. That would take some time, but the Beartooth Highway is one of the most gorgeous roads in the country. If you do hit Yellowstone, make sure to get to The Gradn Canyon of the Yellowstone. One of the most beautiful waterfalls can be seen from there (Artist Point is the best view, in my opinion). You can go out through Cody WY or through the Teotns and make your way to Jackson.

If you get to Red Lodge, make sure to stop in at Slyvan Peak, a fantastic mountain and outdoor store, and Bogart's, a great restaurant with a wide variety of food selections for a very reasonable price. Also, they have some of the best salsa I've ever had.
IP address Logged

"That spells clever not cleaver."
Hot Sugar
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

Camp Run a Muck

URL icon « Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 03:01:35 PM »

I just looked at your map and saw that Yellowstone was already on your agenda. If you do go, you really should check out the Eastern side of the Upper Loop. Some fantastic waterfalls are on that side. You have to walk a bit, but no more than 100 yards to be able to see them.
Lower Canyon Falls: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3010/2582671251_4a7bed6351_z.jpg
That picture doesn't do it justice. Not even close.
IP address Logged

Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 03:50:16 PM »

The Precideo in San Fran is beautiful and the Starbuck's in Idaho Falls is friendly.  LOL
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
JesiRae42

Festivation rating 30

URL icon « Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 12:35:19 PM »

I'm excited about Missoula and Bozeman, as I've never really spent much time in MT except to see how fast we could drive through it! And there will definitely be plenty of downtown wanderings happening - the whole "purpose" of the road trip is to find a place to set up shop, literally, so civic manners will be thoroughly investigated.  But floating in rivers is also very enticing (maybe inner tube needs to be added to my packing list...) If you're around when I roll through Missoula I'd be happy to take you out to lunch.  Cheers

I'm not sure how long I plan on actually being in Yellowstone as it is more of an in between so maybe the  scenic drive and a hike or two would be a good compromise. It's been 20 years since I've been to Yellowstone so I don't remember much outside of Old Faithful and crunchy grounds.

I'll have to check out the Presideo, I go to SF a couple times a year to visit friends but usually stay pretty much in the Mission district, so I'll have to find one to go with me.  Thumbs Up

Not sure I'll make it to the Starbuck's in Idaho Falls though...  LOL

All the suggestions are much appreciated I wish I could spend more time everywhere! But alas my budget and time constraints are a little limiting.  But I'm sure no matter what I do it will be a great adventure.

Flower
IP address Logged

Hot Sugar
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

Camp Run a Muck

URL icon « Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 06:38:10 PM »

Unfortunately, I'm working in Billings for the summer, so I likely won't be around when you roll through. When you do get to Missoula, grab a copy of The Independent. It's a free, local newspaper that will list all the events for the week. Missoula is great about community events downtown or at many of the wonderful parks around town. Lots of local artists play at these events. You might even get lucky and get to see The Lil Smokies or The Hasslers, two of my favorite local bands. And, if you're a beer drinker, Missoula has several micro-breweries that make some fine ales. Coldsmoke and Moose Drool being the most popular.
IP address Logged

Matt
URL icon « Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 02:48:59 AM »

The Lil Smokies or The Hasslers, two of my favorite local bands.

Thanks for the plug!   Thumbs Up
IP address Logged
ShatteredArm
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 226

URL icon « Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 12:06:20 PM »

Sounds like you're going to have the most awesome summer in history.  I'd check out Moab, UT on your way out of town... I might be making a pre-fest stop there this year, actually.  Lots of interesting rock formations if you're into that sort of thing.

Obviously, the area I'm most familiar with is AZ.  For food, I'd definitely recommend Diablo Burger in Flagstaff... Definitely check out the Grand Canyon since you're in the neighborhood.  Probably a very long shot with your time constraints and the fact that it requires hard-to-get reservations, but Havasu Creek west of Grand Canyon NP is one of the greatest places on earth.

If you decide next week that I'm not totally intolerable, I might could bring my Jeep up to Sedona and show you a cool back road or out-of-the-way hike.
IP address Logged
robin_banks

Festivation rating 0

URL icon « Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 04:16:16 AM »

flume trail in tahoe. find a bike ride it. you'll start/finish at the ponderosa. good time
IP address Logged
JesiRae42

Festivation rating 30

URL icon « Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 06:19:27 AM »

Thanks Jeremy, I am stopping in Moab on Blue Monday for the night, but I've done the Canyonlands many a time so I know what I'm missing. I will definitely check out the burger joint, food suggestions are quite helpful!  I am planning to do the whole or most of the Golden Circle loop if I can get my timeframe worked out as such and will look into Havasu area-I feel like my mom has talked about that one before.

As for Sedona-yes I like guided tours  Thumbs Up but we'll play that by ear after the fest  Wink

And thanks Robin, Flume trail does look nice, I'm going to be camping at South Tahoe but will look into what a trip that way would mean time wise.

2months just does not seem long enough to do everything I ought to do. Mayhaps this shall have to become an annual post-TBF trip!

Cheers

Now Playing icon Listening to: Bright Morning Stars
IP address Logged

Pages: [1] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC