Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 09:12:21 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Asheville suggestions??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Asheville suggestions??  (Read 8027 times)
zack_adcock
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « on: May 17, 2011, 12:07:51 PM »

I'm going to be in Asheville for a night June 4, coming back from North Carolina and on my way out to festival.  I'm already disappointed to miss the Mumford & Sons / Low Anthem show by only a couple of days, and I'm hoping someone can cheer me up by helping me out finding:

1) A hotel or b&b that doesn't cost a million dollars and isn't too far from "town"

2) Breakfast, dinner, and/or beer suggestions -- last time we went to Barley's and I was happy with the beer selection there.

Thanks to the Ashevillians and other travelers for your advice!

Z

IP address Logged
Debbiefromtucson
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 12:33:44 PM »

Talk To Dayton and Lalagay
IP address Logged

Debbie from Tucson
dayton
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

instagram.com/ashevilledayton

URL icon « Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 02:25:53 PM »

Dayton and Lalagay's top three picks in Asheville:
#1 Jack of the Wood http://jackofthewood.com/
This is our favorite place.  Every Thursday there is a stellar and usually packed bluegrass jam.  Awesome, awesome pickers every time and usually local stars from bands like Town Mountain, Dehlia Low, Natural Bridge, Shannon Whitworth Band show up too.  Plus they own and operate their own brewerey Green Man Ales and this is one of the best beers in town in my opinion.

#2 Wedge Brewery http://wedgebrewing.com/Wedge_Brewing/Welcome/Welcome.html
Asheville was titled beer city of the year 2010 winning over cities like Portland and Boulder and the wedge brewey in my opinion has the absolute best beer ever created.  The Iron Rail IPA and the Golum High Gravity Belgium are not to be missed.  And the Wedge is located in the center of the River Arts districts with many art galleries t o walk around and tour.

#3 Westville Pub http://www.westvillepub.com/
In the heart of Westville (a west asheville neighborhood) an old friend of mine, Murph describes the scene as the "New Haight".  If you start at the Westville Pub with a beer you can take a walk on Haywood Rd and run into the hippest bars, coffeeshops, restaraunts, co-ops, markets, hostels, and kind people around.  Super local and chill, the Westville is totally Asheville. 

and if you can make it by June 1st, Sara Jarosz is playing at the Grey eagle that night http://www.thegreyeagle.com/

Now Playing icon Listening to: Old Crow Medicine Show on Prairie Home Companion 5/7/11
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 02:51:06 PM by dayton » IP address Logged

“Life is like music for its own sake. We are living in an eternal now, and when we listen to music we are not listening to the past, we are not listening to the future, we are listening to an expanded present.” ― Alan W. Watts
dayton
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

instagram.com/ashevilledayton

URL icon « Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 02:37:40 PM »

as for hotels...

the dowtown inn http://downtowninnandsuites.com/ is the place to stay in town.  its basically similar to an old days inn that is now locally owned and bit nicer... the best rates around and the most central place there is.  this is right across from Jack of the Wood and walking distance from everything there is in the center of downtown, which is where most everything is such as restaraunts, shops, parks, people, music, bars, etc... i checked too and a reservation now for june 4th here is just 77 bucks!

and if you're looking for hostel that's got a good location and friendly people, then here is one in west asheville http://bonpaulandsharkys.com/ the sweet pea's hostel http://sweetpeashostel.com/ is in central downtown and located in the top floors of a building that is also home to a nice brewery, music venue, and restaruant call the LAB (Lexingtion Avenue Brewery).

and as for B&B... I would google "Montford Bed and Breakfast in Asheville".  Montford is an older and very nice neighborhood where there are several bed and breakfasts in beautiful old southern homes.

Now Playing icon Listening to: Garrison Keiler Prairie Home Companion 5/7/11
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 02:47:35 PM by dayton » IP address Logged

“Life is like music for its own sake. We are living in an eternal now, and when we listen to music we are not listening to the past, we are not listening to the future, we are listening to an expanded present.” ― Alan W. Watts
UselessJo
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 03:17:21 PM »

Holy crap! Now I'm going to plan a trip to Asheville!  LOL  Cheers

Now Playing icon Listening to: Bela & The Flecktones, Sinister Minister
IP address Logged

Let us learn to appreciate there will be times when the trees will be bare, and look forward to the time when we may pick the fruit.
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 09:57:16 PM »

Holy crap! Now I'm going to plan a trip to Asheville!  LOL  Cheers

... and I'm right behind you! Great info Dayton!  Thumbs Up

Auntie Hope  :festivarian2 :green
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
gapple
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 118

Bourbon, Beer, BBQ, BLuegrass......mmmmmmm

URL icon « Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 10:26:58 PM »

Sam Bush will be in Newton, about 60 miles east of Asheville on June 10.  Come join us for some prefest.

http://www.newtonnc.gov/news/default.asp?key=2343

Now Playing icon Listening to: Grace Potter
IP address Logged

Semper Fi.....
gapple
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 118

Bourbon, Beer, BBQ, BLuegrass......mmmmmmm

URL icon « Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 10:28:23 PM »

Check out Grey Eagle, Orange Peel and Pisgah Brewing Company for other music......
IP address Logged

Semper Fi.....
jerryfreak
Kinda digging this festival thing...

Festivation rating 20

URL icon « Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 06:11:51 PM »

All solid advice above.  Here's a few more...

Thirsty Monk (two locations; one in downtown and another in South Asheville) is my favorite beer bar in town (I've never actually been to the South location).  Upstairs they have a nice selection of American brews on tap and downstairs is the Belgian bar (get a beer and hang out downstairs). 

For breakfast, Tupelo Honey  is a must!  They also have locations in downtown and South Asheville.  Be prepared to wait at the downtown location (worth the wait)... the South location is larger and they take reservations (downtown does not). 

Another great breakfast spot is Sunny Point Cafe in West Asheville. 

I've never had anything other than breakfast at those two places, but I'm sure it's all good. 

I second the Wedge and Pisgah Brewing recommendations... I always stop by Pisgah  when we're in the area.  For the best selection of regional beers, Barley's is the place. 

Now Playing icon Listening to: Infamous Stringdusters 10/15/2010
IP address Logged
lalagay
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 03:36:38 PM »

Ooooooh I can never say enough good things about Asheville!!!
Actually, maybe I should keep quiet so that it stays the best kept secret in NC....  Rolleyes
Can't resist to help out a fellow festivarian though!
Dayton's already mentioned our favorite places, and I definitely want to second Thirsty Monk for beer tasting (it's more like a wine bar for beer rather than a hangout, what a selection!), and Sunny Point for breakfast in West Asheville: so many breakfasts and never a dissapointing one!  Thumbs Up
Early Girl Eatery downtown is also great for breakfast.
The Laughing Seed (above Jack of the Wood) is listed as the best vegetarian in the area.
Barley's do great pizza by the slice.
Clingman Ave coffee shop in the river arts district do the best stuffed bagels EVER! And their coffee is great!
I'd recommend the sweet pea's hostel downtown for a cheap place to stay in the heart of it all.

Enjoy your time in my favorite city  Cheers Cheers
IP address Logged

TBF 2011 here we come!
Pages: [1] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC