Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 06:25:22 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  denver hotel suggestions?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: denver hotel suggestions?  (Read 9709 times)
dayton
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

instagram.com/ashevilledayton

URL icon « on: April 22, 2011, 08:09:58 AM »

does anyone have some good suggestions as to a nice hotel in downtown denver with walkable bars restaraunts, cool shops, etc...  and possibly festivarian friendly :bubbles

Now Playing icon Listening to: ron block - in memory of steve
IP address Logged

“Life is like music for its own sake. We are living in an eternal now, and when we listen to music we are not listening to the past, we are not listening to the future, we are listening to an expanded present.” ― Alan W. Watts
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

3 chord's and a story that's me

URL icon « Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 10:26:10 AM »

Wave Wave Hey! I am working right now but I will give you a ton of good things to do and where to stay downtown. When will you be here?
IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
erndog
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 422

Festivate. Rinse. Repeat.

URL icon « Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 04:51:01 PM »

The Westin is waaaaayyy better than the Sheraton - - the new(er) Hyatt conventional hotel is nice with a killer roof-top bar/restaurant.  The Hyatt Grand isn't bad either.  If you've got Marriott points or some cash to burn, the Ritz Carlton is an option . . .
IP address Logged
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 05:10:52 PM »

The Westin is waaaaayyy better than the Sheraton - - the new(er) Hyatt conventional hotel is nice with a killer roof-top bar/restaurant.  The Hyatt Grand isn't bad either.  If you've got Marriott points or some cash to burn, the Ritz Carlton is an option . . .

Erndog.
I left Anne from Run-A-Muck a message and asked her to respond to this thread.  :)

Auntie Hope  :festivarian2 :green
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 05:36:57 AM »

does anyone have some good suggestions as to a nice hotel in downtown denver with walkable bars restaraunts, cool shops, etc...  and possibly festivarian friendly :bubbles

Dayton there is a hotel in the Denver Performing Arts Center , there is the Brown Palace (very nice), numerous cool others.

The big question is when will you arrive? That should influence where you stay. Tell me more so I can guide you better. Flower
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 06:06:10 AM by landshark » IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
dayton
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 07:16:22 AM »

thanks for suggestions everyone  Medal
theres nothing like festivarians helping other festivarians to find festivarian friendly places Talk
after considering the many great hotel suggestions, we have decided on the recommendation of the comfort inn downtown  Thumbs Up
sancho's broken arrow also sounds like a great place we'll have to try while we're there :deer
and landshark, we're looking for somewhere after telluride, before we start making the trek to sunshine daydream the weekend after Driving
 Sunshine
and we're interested in any other cool suggestions of good music spots or bars around that time too... Cheers

Now Playing icon Listening to: zac brown band - jolene
IP address Logged

“Life is like music for its own sake. We are living in an eternal now, and when we listen to music we are not listening to the past, we are not listening to the future, we are listening to an expanded present.” ― Alan W. Watts
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 07:33:11 AM »

sancho's broken arrow also sounds like a great place we'll have to try while we're there :deer
and landshark, we're looking for somewhere after telluride, before we start making the trek to sunshine daydream the weekend after Driving
 Sunshine
and we're interested in any other cool suggestions of good music spots or bars around that time too... Cheers

LOL LoDo Historic District
www.lodo.org

Denver Art Museum
www.denverartmuseum.org

16th Street Mall - Pedestrian Mall

Lined with 200 trees and 50,000 flowers, this festive, mile-long pedestrian promenade has 28 outdoor cafes and offers Denver's best people-watching. I.M. Pei designed the gray and pink granite pathway to resemble the pattern of a diamondback rattlesnake. Hop on the bus – they're free and stop on every corner. After dark, horse-drawn carriages clatter up and down the Mall.  Medal

I also really enjoy Chapoltepecks a seedy jazz hangout with smokin music . Not sure I spelled that right :hug
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 07:37:35 AM by landshark » IP address Logged

ruffnrocky
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 201

URL icon « Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 04:16:04 PM »

Denver is good for a night but you really should spend the time in Boulder if it's music is key. I always recommend  http://www.boulderoutlook.com/index.html  for your lodging needs. Music hot spots in Boulder: Boulder Theater, Fox Theater, Mountain Sun on Sunday, Southern Sun on Monday, The Laughing Goat coffee house, The Lazy Dog, Conor O'Neils, Pearl St. Pub, The Farmers Market on Saturday. Or just walk around Pearl St. for buskers. Lyons isn't far away and Oskar Blues on Tues night and their bluegrass pick is the best around. Not to mention free music on the streets on Wed night on Pearl Street, Band On the Bricks, Thurs. nite in Niwot, Rhythm On the Rails and Friday nite at the Lousiville Street Faire.

Now Playing icon Listening to: Gillian Welch - Soul Journey
IP address Logged
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 01:10:18 PM »

... and the Unseen Bean for morning coffee!!!  Thumbs Up
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
meanderingjeeper
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

Hope all is well and the surf is high.

URL icon « Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 09:16:18 AM »

Stranahans Colorado Whiskey tour.  Man that is good stuff.
British Bulldog for masala and footie on tv.  think Gold Cup might be on around then
Falling Rock Taphouse over 200 beers with motto "No Crap On Tap"
The Bar Bar You want to talk dive bars....yike

Now Playing icon Listening to: raindrops
IP address Logged

If you don't like something, change it.  Otherwise change the way you feel about it.
Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 04:32:51 PM »

Panzano at 17th and Champa has a GREAT happy hour from 3-6.  The food is quite delicious, the drinks are strong, and the service is wonderful.
So what is the Sunshine Daydream thing you mention? Is that in Denver?
IP address Logged

"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing. "  (Shunryu Suzuki)
meanderingjeeper
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 08:32:12 PM »

right down the street from the Comfort Inn
Shish Kabob grill  their chicken shawerma sandwich....delicious...
Kevin's a great bartender at the Trinity Grille

a little bit farther but worth it is My Brother's Bar.  awesome bar/patio & Kerouac used to work there.  service is slow but once you have your beer you kind of forget. 
Also located right next to The Flagship REI

Now Playing icon Listening to: van v chi
IP address Logged

If you don't like something, change it.  Otherwise change the way you feel about it.
meanderingjeeper
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 08:37:14 PM »

I also really enjoy Chapoltepecks a seedy jazz hangout with smokin music . Not sure I spelled that right :hug

agree that El-Chapultepec does have some fantastic jazz....great scene.  might still be cash only

Now Playing icon Listening to: 'ockey
IP address Logged

dayton
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 05:33:36 AM »

So what is the Sunshine Daydream thing you mention? Is that in Denver?

Sunshine Daydream Memorial Park is a festival campground in Terra Alta WV...  www.wefarmhippies.com http://www.festivarian.com/index.php/topic,9652.0.html
they've got an 11 day festival that starts the weekend of telluride and then continues into the week and weekend after...  it's most well known for being the home of the Jerry Garcia Birthday Bash, and i think this year is the 26th or 27th annual, but that won't be until august... 
Lalagay and me are signed up to work the second weekend after telluride bluegrass, during the ekoostik hookah nights of the festival, and are planning on hanging out in denver until we make the 'trek' back across the midwest to WV...  hence the inquiry to cool things to do in denver while we're there Cheers 
and i'm really liking the looks of the british bulldog meandering jeeper and the stranahan's tour.  i think i saw a special on stranahan's on the food network...  denver seems like an awesome city Medal

Now Playing icon Listening to: npr - morning edition
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 05:39:42 AM by dayton » IP address Logged

FestiTrey
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 264

URL icon « Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 05:25:18 PM »

and we're interested in any other cool suggestions of good music spots or bars around that time too...

I've lived in Denver for 10 years now and I've lived about 100 feet from Sancho's for the past 5 years so I'm there more than I should be.  If you like the Dead at all or that scene, you should definitely check it out.  It's one of a kind.  If you are looking for live music, check who's playing at:
     * Quixote's (same owners as Sancho's)
     * Ogden Theatre (less than two blocks down Colfax from Sancho's)
     * The Fillmore Auditorium (Across the street from Sancho's)
     * Pete's Monkey Bar (right next to Sancho's)

My other suggestions/recommendations for things to do in Denver:
     * Have a drink at the Great Divide Brewery.  They have a small bar at the brewery where they serve their amazing craft beers.
     * Watch a Rockies game at Coors Field.
     * Check out the REI Flagship store and be sure to spend time down by the river out back.  There will be a lot of people down there on a summer afternoon.
     * Cruise down 16th Street Mall.  It's pretty touristy and you will see all types of people - both good and bad.  The shuttle that runs up and down the mall is free and a great way to get from one side of downtown to the other.

I will be more than happy to share other ideas or suggestions if you are looking for anything in particular. 

IP address Logged
Pages: [1] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC