Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 11:29:23 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  New quotes from Festival-goers for Pow'r Pickin' article
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: New quotes from Festival-goers for Pow'r Pickin' article  (Read 4957 times)
g-luv
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « on: May 17, 2010, 11:21:40 AM »

Festivarians,

As some of you know, I am the Editor of Pow'r Pickin', Colorado's monthly bluegrass newspaper.  I'm writing a piece on June bluegrass festivals in Colorado and I'm looking for people to comment on where, why they are attending.

You can answer here or PM me.  I will only print quotes from folks who will agree to have their full name and location included in attribution.  Also, given that most of the participants on this board are looking forward to Telluride, you're more likely to be included if you are commenting on Pagosa, Palisade or Pueblo.  You can also comment generally about visiting Colorado in June.

Finally, I am always looking for more volunteer writers, so if you or someone you know is a good writer and loves bluegrass, send 'em my way.

g-luv
IP address Logged
g-luv
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 12:54:41 PM »

Is there anyone who first heard bluegrass at Telluride or who was converted to traditional bluegrass as a result of attending TBF?

(this is for my article, still)
IP address Logged
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 06:18:47 PM »

telluride gave me Bill Munro, Doc Watson, John Hartford, and many others in the bluegrass realm.  That did not stop me from wanting to listen to other styles of music. 
IP address Logged
g-luv
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 08:04:24 PM »

I guess no one really gets what I'm asking for here.  Good thing BluegrassBrian reads the boards!
IP address Logged
Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 02:52:42 PM »

I first heard bluegrass music at the 3rd Telluride Bluegrass Festival in 1976.  I don't know if you would call it traditional or not, but I was hooked and the festival became my tradition. 
This year, 2010, will be my 34th, having only missed in 2004.  For a long time, I didn't even know there WERE other festivals. 
IP address Logged

"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing. "  (Shunryu Suzuki)
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 06:40:18 PM »

G...
You have mail...
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
ruffnrocky
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 201

URL icon « Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 08:15:24 PM »

My first TBF was in 1980 and I came with my buddies ( The Reasonable  Band) who won the band contest that year. I was pretty much a traditionalist from attending festivals around Indiana and Kentucky as a kid. As we pulled in, I think it was Chris Daniels playing,  using demon electric guitars and drums at a bluegrass festival!  EEK!  After getting over the shock, I then realized, this ain't the festivals like back in the mid-west. Thanks to TBF, it opened up my eyes and ears to all different kinds of music. So I went the other way, from being a traditionalist to a more eclectic music kinda guy.  Band

Now Playing icon Listening to: Robbie Fulks - Country Loves Songs - She Took A Lot Of Pills and Died
IP address Logged
Pages: [1] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC