Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 03:29:25 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  aereo-plain
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: aereo-plain  (Read 22503 times)
zack_adcock
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « on: February 17, 2010, 04:48:20 PM »

This might sound silly, but I've been frustrating myself for more than a year now trying to track down a copy of Hartford's AEREO-PLAIN album. I can't find a CD or a record for less than $65 and I'm just not willing to pay that much. I know its out of print and everything, but does anyone have any suggestions? I've just always wanted to hear that recording and it seems to be inaccessible at the moment.

Luckily, I was re-inspired to look for it because I found a used CD copy of Old and in the Way recently, which I'd been trying to get my hands on for some time.

Anyway ... help? Suggestions? Regrets? I'm sure I'm not the only one on this board who's tried to find this supposed gem!

Zack
IP address Logged
Hot Sugar
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

Camp Run a Muck

URL icon « Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 08:22:34 PM »

I had this same problem. Luckily, my brother had a copy of it and I was able to get a copy from him. This is the closest thing I could find. http://www.amazon.com/Steam-Powered-Aereo-Takes-John-Hartford/dp/B00005UQK2/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1266463193&sr=1-1-fkmr0

Now Playing icon Listening to: Darrell Scott
IP address Logged

"That spells clever not cleaver."
Matt
URL icon « Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 10:12:19 PM »

It really is a gem.  Aereo-takes is not the same album at all, though it is worth a listen as well.  Sam Bush said at one point that without this album there would be no Newgrass Music, and I have to agree. 

As far as finding a copy, just keep trying.  They are out there.  I went through a similar experience when looking for Drew Emmitt's first (and only) album with the Lefthand String Band, Get Me Outta This City.  Every version I'd see would be $80+.  I eventually found a new copy on the Amazon Marketplace for $20.  It took me the better part of two years of checking to find it though.  Just keep your eyes open and you'll find it some how.

They really should re-issue this album, it's too good to not be in print.
IP address Logged
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 08:16:31 AM »

Depending on where you live, there may be used record stores or pawn/junk stores that have a bunch of albums that are unsorted, which hold a gem or two.  To find one CD on line, the prices were absurd, over $500, then I found one for $165, then $60.  I changed my search engine, and found it for $20, including shipping.  The search may be initially frustrating, but you may find other music along the way.  There are people that want to get rid of records for a quarter a record, full of pops and crackles.  It is out there, waiting for you, along with all sorts of other music.

Now Playing icon Listening to: Jennie Lewis
IP address Logged
Hippie
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 05:28:59 PM »

Thumbs Up

Here you go:
Aereo-plane music just 12.95.

Extra Bonus  Flower  It's an 8 track  LOL

:peace
IP address Logged

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. - Will Rogers
zack_adcock
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 07:50:14 PM »

Haha -- yeah, I saw that 8-track available on eBay.

I'd think it was even funnier if I didn't think I'd found my reasonably priced copy of that album!! :-)

Onward!  Cheers
IP address Logged
420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

shake it, shake it, Sugaree

URL icon « Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 06:17:31 PM »

Newgrass 101

I have an old 1st generation cassette copy of the Aereo-Plain LP
got my paws on this in 1974

Warner Bros - WS 1916 - circa 1971
produced by David Bromberg

All tracks composed by John Hartford; except where indicated

side 1
"Turn Your Radio On" (Albert E. Brumley) – 1:22
"Steamboat Whistle Blues" – 3:23
"Back in the Goodle Days" – 3:34
"Up on the Hill Where They Do the Boogie" – 2:43
"Boogie" – 1:42
"First Girl I Loved" – 4:35
"Presbyterian Guitar" – 2:04

side 2
"With a Vamp in the Middle" – 3:25
"Symphony Hall Rag" – 2:48
"Because of You" – 1:02
"Steam Powered Aereo Plane" – 3:43
"Holding" – 1:47
"Tear Down The Grand Ole Opry" (Hartford, Robert Taylor) – 3:28
"Leather Britches" (Traditional) – 1:58
"Station Break" – 0:13
"Turn On Your Radio" – 2:16

* John Hartford – banjo, guitar, violin, vocals
    * Norman Blake – guitar, mandolin, vocals
    * Vassar Clements – violin, cello, viola, vocals
    * Tut Taylor – dobro, vocals
    * Randy Scruggs – electric bass, vocals

just listened to this cassette... it remains in excellent condition... maybe I should transfer it...
IP address Logged

Turn on your Lovelight... and leave it ON!
zack_adcock
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 07:41:45 AM »

Incidentally, does anyone have any other bluegrass/newgrass albums from the '70s that they find staples? I'm trying to broaden my familiarity with this era that seems SO important to Telluride. These could be in- or out-of-print, ornever released on CD, or whatever, just to add to my frustrations!

I have a running list of these records ... can anyone add anything essential??

John Hartford - Aereo-Plain
John Hartford - Morning Bugle
Tut Taylor - Friar Tut
Tut Taylor - Dobrolic Plectral Society
Norman Blake / Tut Taylor / Butch Robins, Vassar Clements / Dave Holland / Jethro Burns record
Norman Blake - Whiskey Before Brekfast
Tony Rice Unit - Manzanita
Tony Rice - Church Street Blues

Zack
IP address Logged
Garry
Wondering when Small Member status will be achieved.

Festivation rating 65

Why is this man happy?

URL icon « Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 10:09:09 AM »

Try out the Steam Powered Preservation Society.

thespss.org

They have some AeroPlane band rehearsal tapes and lots of stuff from the 60's and 70's.

Jim and Jesse, Granpa Jones, early HotRize, Norman Blake and lots of others.

This should keep you busy
IP address Logged
420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 10:58:39 AM »

Muleskinner album is a MUST. Muleskinner and Aereo-Plain spawned NewGrass music. Or, was it Newgrass Revival?

Friar Tut album (I see you mentioned this one)
Tut Taylor (dobro, mandolin), Norman Blake (guitar, mandolin, vocal on "Daisy Dean"), Sam Bush (mandolin), and David Taylor (guitar on "Me and My Dobro" and "Southern Filibuster").

Newgrass Revival -- Fly Through The Country album. 1st NGR album with John Cowan.

Vassar Clements dual LP, featuring Doug Jernigan on pedal steel -- Hillbilly Jazz

Tony Rice - 1st solo album project after leaving JD Crowe band -- California Autumn
(1974 JD Crowe band: JD Crowe, Tony Rice, Jerry Douglas, Ricky Scaggs, and Bobby Sloan. Their main competition then was Seldom Scene band.)

I have 1st gen cassettes of these albums. I used to own the albums. All my albums were lost in Portland, OR, in 1977.

I taped concert and festival performances of theses players and bands, 1974 - 1976. My AUDs and SBDs circulate everywhere.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 01:40:32 PM by 420Sugaree » IP address Logged

bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 01:01:29 PM »

I think a number of these albums get out of print for an unknown period of time, then they become available again.  That is good,but Evil at first i just wanted "old and in the way" because my copy did not play well, and a friend got me muleskinnner.  Actually he gave me his, because he found a new one in some store he entered on one of his travels.  I had Seatrain and one day, while looking at the album cover, I started buying Grisman, Dawg music and Peter Rowan.  then Sam Bush and Vassar and John Hartford.  Tony Rice, and Richard Greene, Gene Clark and Doug Dillard. 
Now, that might have been enough, but, I am addicted.  At least I can enjoy the cause of my addiction more than once, and I'll admit, there are lots of things I don't know I have.  That is the danger of seeking "one" album or CD, you just want another one.     

Now Playing icon Listening to: Jennie Lewis, Somi, Preservation Hall Jazz. Swell Season
IP address Logged
BigGriz

Festivation rating 0

Under the ol elm tree

URL icon « Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 06:29:54 AM »

My first introduction to new grass was when John Hartford & Vasser came to our county fairgrounds for a bluegrass show.  What an ear opening experience!  Hartford begot Bill Monroe, Bill begot Sam and NGR, then Boone Creek, Tony Rice, Hot Rize........ time passes till finally last week Yonder!  What a long strange trip it's been,
IP address Logged
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 11:29:24 PM »

Just found this on a Facebook page... it's from John's daughter...

The John Hartford Stringband - Memories Of John

Hey guys, I was just reading up on this thread, so I thought I would jump in and help answer some questions (this is Katie, John's daughter.) I totally understand about the need for Aereoplane and Morning Bugle; they're two of my favorites as well. My husband Eric has worked very hard to try and get these albums re-released; we really want this ... See Moremusic out there for Dad's fans. Warner is definitely the hold-up (so we wouldn't mind at all if anyone wanted to write to them requesting this music...hint, hint! ;-) Our goal is to keep Dad's musical legacy alive, and we continue to dig through his office looking for unreleased material. Chris and the guys have made a fantastic CD, and we are excited to see it launch tomorrow. The "Hartford estate" is just my brother and I, with my husband running the business end, working day jobs, raising kids, and doing our best to keep Dad's music out there. I love that all of you are still so passionate about his art; it means a lot to me.

Here's the link to that page....
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/JohnHartfordStringband?ref=nf

Hope it helps!

Auntie Hope  :festivarian2 :green
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 12:40:35 PM »

Feb 13, 1973 >>> Muleskinner live video clip on YouTube -- New Camptown Races, Dark Hollow featuring Richard Greene, David Grisman, Bill Keith, Peter Rowan, and Clarence White. Peter makes a very rare but funny mistake in the 2-part vocal harmonies at 3:12, during Dark Hollow. Clarence is smurking and Peter has a poop-eatin' grin. Actually, Dark Hollow lyrics are complicated. These boys, along with myself, were all stoned out Hippies in 1973. The Grateful Dead made countless mistakes on stage in 1973, and they set the all-time record for it. This clip of Muleskinner is a pure GEM.

Sept 11, 2004 >>> Vasser Clements live video clip, with Sam Bush & Jerry Douglas, on YouTube -- Mocking Bird, East Virginia Blues. Vassar is far from his youth. Thanks Vassar (April 25, 1928 – August 16, 2005).

John Hartford, Sam Bush, Pete Wernick

Thanks John (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)

When the Norman Blake / Tut Taylor / Butch Robins / Vassar Clements / Dave Holland / Jethro Burns / David Holland record came out, I taped them performing at NY Academy of Music in 1974. Except, instead of Jethro Burns, it was John Hartford & Sam Bush playing with them! I taped NGR just as Fly Through The Country came out. I taped Vassar at 4 different shows and festivals in 1974 & 1975. Hillbilly Jazz album, as far as I know -- I'm the only guy that ever taped them live. Perhaps it's even possible that these 2 shows I taped are the only times they ever played together. All my tapes from this era are extremely rare recordings. Most, if not all of them are one-of-a-kind.

Planet Bluegrass, The Festivarian, eTree, The Internet Archive, and all of you have given me and others a great place to let Planet Earth know about these fine, fine, artists, musicians, and human beings. Thanks again for allowing and encouraging us to share this information. Tapers are a part of this fabric. We are embedded in the live music culture. We want to share live tape recordings with our pride and dignity.

Who else would I tell this to? I found this place over 2 years ago. It's all good from here...

I believe John's incredible music should be enjoyed by all forever.
John Hartford collection torrent — 16 shows 1970 to 1990

Monte the Taper archives

Peace on Earth is most important, I believe, and we damn well better hurry up...
Monte
IP address Logged

dayton
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

instagram.com/ashevilledayton

URL icon « Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 01:29:01 PM »

wow, thanks monte!
those links are excellent    i hadn't realized how extensive your taping days have been
im looking forward to both the john hartford shows and the monte links on archive.org.  its funny i already have some music you taped, unknowlingly of your connection to the music!
and im especially impressed with the boone creek  Tapers
so thanks, and i hope to buy ya a cold one next time were in telluride  Cheers

Now Playing icon Listening to: hopefully some john hartford here pretty soon...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 01:49:07 PM by dayton » IP address Logged

“Life is like music for its own sake. We are living in an eternal now, and when we listen to music we are not listening to the past, we are not listening to the future, we are listening to an expanded present.” ― Alan W. Watts
Pages: [1] 2 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC