Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 02:36:08 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  To Dance or not to Dance?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: To Dance or not to Dance?  (Read 20747 times)
amandalynne
Small Member

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « on: July 27, 2009, 01:21:20 PM »

Hey festifolks,

As many of you know, my husband and I are almost always dancing at any live show or festival. We enjoy it so much that we avoid all sit-down shows. We get very little pleasure from sitting and watching. We always respect the customs at a festival however, and this is why we generally don't attend Rockygrass- because the custom to sit down at all times is so prevalent. And the designated dancing areas at Rockygrass are so rocky that it's generally painful on bare feet, and any flat-footer knows that flat-footing is best done barefoot. We generally have more fun at Telluride since the designated dancing area is enjoyable enough and for the really danceable sets and all nighttime sets, we all stand up.

So, that said, we went to Rockygrass yesterday for the first time in a while, and I was once again amazed by the strong custom to stay seated. But what I found even more fascinating was that most broke custom for the Yonder set- young and old alike, but then for Hot Rize, which is equally and similarly danceable, after dark, and the very last set of the festival, we went back to sitting. I thought for sure we'd keep dancing for Hot Rize, and with the opening song being a very fast one, my little group started dancing on our tarp, but as custom prevailed, we were quickly asked to sit down, by someone using his age as his excuse for needing to sit, which of course is curious since some in my dancing group were actually older than he appeared to be. Of course we sat, as we are respectful people. But then for the very last few songs, most people stood and danced.

OK, so the reason I'm sharing my innermost festivarian feelings with you is that I am very curious about this custom. I'd love to hear your thoughts on why you are a dancer or why you are a sitter? And while you are sitting, are you at least tapping your feet? What is going on in your mind and with your feet while you sit through a song like "Radio Boogie"?

I don't want to start a discussion as heated as the tarp line discussion tends to get, but I just want to hear from the heart of your feet... to dance or not to dance... and what is it like to not want to shake your booty?

Love to you all!

Amanda

I love you all

Now Playing icon Listening to: NPR's Talk of the Nation, and no, I'm not dancing to it ;)
IP address Logged

"This land is your land and this land is my land, sure, but the world is run by those that never listen to music anyway" -Bob Dylan
retsin2000
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 292

URL icon « Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 01:49:54 PM »

I think the main reason that there was so much dancing for Yonder was that their fan base provided enough critical mass to overtake the militant sitters. A lot of their fan base left before Hot Rize so there were fewer dancers up front. We were right at the soundboard and during Hot Rize we noted that we were right on the line between dancing and sitting. Everyone behind us was dancing and everyone in front was sitting down. We felt like we were in the perfect sweet spot as we could do whatever we wanted as far as sitting / dancing and the sound was mixed just right for where we were. I was glad to do some of each.

Personally I've never minded going behind the soundboard or over to the left to dance at RG, but I do wear shoes.
IP address Logged
Pen
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 02:46:05 PM »

I'm one that prefers to dance/stand - but don't mind a ton when I'm sitting.  Also, as I'm getting a bit older, it's changed how much I prefer to dance.  At a 12 hour festival, I doubt I'll be dancing more than 3-4 hours.  I can never imagine asking someone to sit down and stop dancing during a Rockygrass show though.

Now, when I'm sitting, I'm enjoying the music just as much as if I was getting my groove on - sometimes more.  I can concentrate on the musicianship much more when I'm stationary.  If my view of the stage is blocked by dancers, I'm really not that concerned.  I'm never close enough to really see much anyway.  It's not like these performers are creating a visually stunning stage show.  This isn't Pink Floyd - it's Rockygrass!  Hell, the dancers are often more fun to watch than the pickers.

I wasn't there on Sun (just went Sat), but know what you're talking about with everyone sitting.  What a bummer that you felt uncomfortable dancing.
IP address Logged

"How many of you folks have seen that movie "O Brother, Where Ya At?"--Ralph Stanley
apollo
URL icon « Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 03:40:09 PM »

Yes we find that an oddity of Rockygrass as well, and have been told to stop dancing even when there is nobody behind us... (really, we just ask 'why' and were told it was the rules)

When we run for seats in the morning we run not for the best viewing seats, but with the help of trees, the fence and other items there are some spots you can find where you really don't block anybody's view... and so we dance

But it can be a hassle; there appear to me more anti-dancers at Rockygrass than other festivals, but we've been told to sit down at Telluride as well.

And if you can't dance to Yonder, you just can't dance (as a person with a sprained ankle seated is where I stay of late)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 07:43:20 PM by apollo » IP address Logged
amandalynne
Small Member

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 11:14:14 AM »

It's the rules, huh? Never realized is was more official than a custom! Some people do love the rules, don't they?  Wink
IP address Logged

"This land is your land and this land is my land, sure, but the world is run by those that never listen to music anyway" -Bob Dylan
BillyBeru
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

"Good evening, music lovers!"

URL icon « Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 12:20:47 PM »

It's the rules, huh? Never realized is was more official than a custom! Some people do love the rules, don't they?  Wink

I've never been to RG but I am interested in this topic since I am also a dancer (makes me think of Mike in Dazed and Confused  LOL).  :hop :hop :hop

I guess there's a fine print for a reason. I went to Planet Bluegrass' site and sure enough it's in the rules:

- Smoking, dancing & hula-hooping are welcome in designated areas.
http://www.bluegrass.com/rockygrass/rules.html

Well ain't that a whole in the head?  Rolleyes

"And the sign says you've got to have a membership card to get inside"....
IP address Logged

"How many of you have been at the festival all four days?"
Pen
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 01:57:19 PM »

Well, there's standing, dancing and then DANCING.  When I'm not seated, I either stand or dance - but normally don't DANCE.  I can't even imagine how shocked I would feel to have someone ask me to sit down and stop moving to the music.
IP address Logged

"How many of you folks have seen that movie "O Brother, Where Ya At?"--Ralph Stanley
biscuit_challenge
Kinda digging this festival thing...

Festivation rating 8

Love me some biscuits mmmhmm

URL icon « Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 04:03:02 PM »

You damn sure better not be dancin in the tarp line! LOL
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 04:39:45 PM by biscuit_challenge » IP address Logged

"The point is, how do you know the Guarantee Fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer?" -Tommy Callahan
hipchc
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 06:05:30 AM »

I am also a dancer.. Not a fabulous one or anything but I do like to get my boogie on, especially to some great bluegrass. I never understood why there seems to be so much sitting down at bluegrass events.
For instance.. In May of 2007, I was in a nasty car accident that landed me in a wheelchair for several months. During that time, I went to see David Grisman play at Pickin In the Pines Festival, in Flagstaff. Since I'm friends with the crew, the head of security (who knows I love to dance, especially up front) literally told me to get up to the front and dance. I of course followed his 'orders' and proudly rolled myself down to the front, where the seats are. I had the most fun gettin down that day, spinning and dancing in my chair right in front of the stage.. Afterward I actually spent a good deal of time thinking about the fact that the only reason I was sitting down was because I wasn't able to dance normally and that all these other people had paid a decent amount of cash so they could just sit there. I just couldn't help thinking that something was wrong with the picture.. They shoulda been dancing too!
 :dance
I'm not sure I'm gettin my point across here, but I just wanted to say that I truly believe the musicians enjoy performing more when they can tell that the audience is actually having fun too.
~ As for Rockygrass, I don't think my ankle would agree with the rocky dancing area very much... In fact, it makes me wonder if I should try to make it to that fest at all.. Maybe I outta just stick to the more dance and bubble friendly TBF...
 :bubbles    :peace
IP address Logged
Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 08:44:03 AM »

And then there are times when you just can not contain yourself and the devil takes over and makes you dance no matter what....... Evil The Devil made me do it! dancing :peace

Spontanious dance is good for your soul. It is a reflex... thats my story and I'm stickin to it Evil

I think ya'll know my opinion on this matter dancing  I'd prefer dancers in front of me than  Talk in back of me.
IP address Logged

"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing. "  (Shunryu Suzuki)
Sap
Small Member

Festivation rating 270

doobie doobie doo!

URL icon « Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 03:58:51 PM »

I think ya'll know my opinion on this matter dancing  I'd prefer dancers in front of me than  Talk in back of me.

I'm with ya there Cindy Lou.   

As for dancing - We were dancing up in the front for Yonder and I too was surprised that the dancing didn't continue for Hot Rize.     

But... I do think we (you, me, whoever?) should really resist the urge to conclude that someone isn't having a good time or as good of time because they aren't enjoying the festival in the same way that we/I am.     I've had a great time hanging in the very back with the kids listening to the music, maybe someone's looked at me and thought I was not having a good time because I wasn't way up front?  I'm guessing (hoping?) that the "sitters" are doin what they love to do to enjoy the music.

Maybe PB could extend the dancing area?   I didn't notice a rocky area but the area to the right of the stage was pretty muddy and I was looking at it thinking that the fence could be moved up to the stage and open that area up, ya know, for the people.
IP address Logged
semicharmed314
Small Member

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 04:42:35 PM »

a-MEN Cindy Lou!
IP address Logged

It'll turn up.
Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 05:05:12 PM »

I went to the back quite a few times and the sound from there was great! There's really no bad spot in the whole venue for listening while sitting, standing, dancing, and especially, smiling. Flower

Now Playing icon Listening to: the rain tapping on the roof
IP address Logged

"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing. "  (Shunryu Suzuki)
TheBanjomatic
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 03:14:30 PM »

I've been waiting to weigh in on this one as I know I'm going to take a lot of flack for it - I'm not a dancer.

Music doesn't really make me want to get up and move about... I'll bob my head, I'll count rhythms with my fingers, but thats about the extent of my dancing at a festival when I haven't been drinking a whole lot. That being said, some people enjoy it and I understand that, but dancing in front of people that chose to sit down rather than in the designated areas off to the side where you aren't obstructing anyones view is just rude. (Of course, that is assuming the majority of people are sitting. When in rome...)

When I'm at a show I'd personally rather focus on the music that I came to see and hear. Dancing completely ruins that for me... if i wanted background music to dance to I'd just put on the cd. I'm at the show because I want to watch them perform, I want to see how they communicate, watch the expression on their faces when they surprise themselves with a particular run during a solo. As a musician, I want to watch their fingers, I want to notice what positions they chose to play out of, I want to see little details like the posture of their hands on the fret board, or their interaction with the crowd. If I was dancing I'd miss out on all the reasons I might go to see a particular show because there is no way I'd be able to focus with that kind of intensity while dancing about.

That being said, I don't like having people dance in front of me either because you are directly impacting my ability to enjoy the show by obstructing my view. Just picture going to the movies and having someone who "paid for the space around this seat" decide to stand in the row in front of you. However, I'm young and somewhat considerate, so I'd choose to stand along with them rather than make the people in front of me sit down, but only if in doing so I wasn't further obstructing the view of those sitting behind me.

In conclusion, it all comes down to being respectful of those around you. If the people around you want to sit, thats their choice, but just keep in mind that while them sitting in front of you doesn't at all impact your enjoyment of the show, the inverse is not always true.
IP address Logged

If a banjo player picks in the woods, and no one is there to hear him.... is he still making an awful lot of noise?
Sap
Small Member

Festivation rating 270

doobie doobie doo!

URL icon « Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 04:04:07 PM »

Well said Banjomatic.    Thumbs Up

Just have respect in front.  That will solve most problems like this.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of moving the fence to allow a big dance area on the right side of the stage.   

Now Playing icon Listening to: Son Volt - American Central Dust
IP address Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC