Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 02:29:06 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Flying with your acoustic guitar?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Flying with your acoustic guitar?  (Read 3446 times)
gypsyfeet

Festivation rating 1

First Timer for Song School! See you there...

URL icon « on: July 08, 2009, 09:54:02 PM »

It's my first Song School - can't wait, but....

I just saw "United Breaks Guitars" song on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo
and it reminded me that I might want to rethink bringing my Martin.
(Watch this music video about a guy complaining about United breaking his Taylor)

I flew to Ireland with my old Alvarez, it made it in fine shape, but that was several years ago. I'm not sure what to expect now.

I did find a deal on a travel guitar a couple of months ago, but am really disappointed with it after I got it home. Won't stay in tune and sounds pretty awful. (Washburn Rogue). It's definitely not coming this trip.

Acoustic magazine had some suggestions about flying w/your acoustic guitar, and it sounds like I'll need to check it and keep my fingers crossed. Is this my best bet, you think?:
IP address Logged

Roundtown, Ohio zip code: E-I-E-I-O
Flagstaff Jess
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

Seize the Cocktail!

URL icon « Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 10:09:18 PM »

It's my first Song School - can't wait, but....

I just saw "United Breaks Guitars" song on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo
and it reminded me that I might want to rethink bringing my Martin.
(Watch this music video about a guy complaining about United breaking his Taylor)

I flew to Ireland with my old Alvarez, it made it in fine shape, but that was several years ago. I'm not sure what to expect now.

I did find a deal on a travel guitar a couple of months ago, but am really disappointed with it after I got it home. Won't stay in tune and sounds pretty awful. (Washburn Rogue). It's definitely not coming this trip.

Acoustic magazine had some suggestions about flying w/your acoustic guitar, and it sounds like I'll need to check it and keep my fingers crossed. Is this my best bet, you think?:

I would at the very least gate check it and try hard to board with it.  I'm going to Rockygrass and considered bringing my Santa Cruz and just can't do it.  If something happened I'd be devastated.  I'm flying Southwest and the best I can hope for with them is that I can gate check it.  But how it gets tossed into the baggage hold makes my heart sink.  No, I'm actually doing a festival sans guitar....just can't stomach the thought of them tossing my baby around.
IP address Logged

Begin doing what you want to do now.  We are not living in eternity.  We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand and melting like a snowflake.  Let us use it before it is too late.   - Marie Bevon Ray
Doc Mike
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 10:19:43 PM »

Any time you let baggage handlers have your instrument, you are taking a big chance.  You can always ask the flight attendants if they will put it in an onboard closet. At least pack the headstock with towels or underwear so it has as muck protection from movement.  Get a professional hardshell case, the regular black ones will offer no protection from the baggage handlers.  Really, though, if you don't think you can carry it on, think about shipping it ground (cold and unpressurized airplane cargo hold are not nice to Martins!) and insured with UPS or the USPS.  If you use the post office, send it general delivery to the Lyons office.  It should be there waiting for you. Good luck!
IP address Logged

We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams.
~Willy Wonka
Boogiefool
Festivarian

Festivation rating 42

URL icon « Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 03:10:47 AM »

We're bringing out a couple of mandolins and at least one guitar from the UK and there's no way we'd trust them to be checked. They'll go, as they always do, in either an overhead or one of the wardrobes. There's usually space somewhere.

Last year I bought two mandos back from NYC and they travelled better class than I did. EEK! EEK!
The steward took them and put them in empty Business Class bins. Fine man. :)

Now Playing icon Listening to: Doug Pettibone
IP address Logged

I'm on it 12!!

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather........not screaming in terror like his passengers!

http://www.myspace.com/boogiefool
Pages: [1] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC