Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 04:51:13 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  What's the differrence b/t all these festivals????
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: What's the differrence b/t all these festivals????  (Read 6488 times)
ManyRoads

Festivation rating 0

URL icon « on: June 11, 2009, 02:20:13 PM »

Hi everybody  Wave

I was wondering what the difference is b/t telluride, rockygrass, folk fests, etc??? 
vibe mostly as I can see the bands that are playing each one.  Telluride seems like its much bigger. 

the wife came out of nowhere and said she wanted to go to Folk Fest in August and I've always wanted to go to Telluride for bluegrass.  With distance and $ we can't do them all....thanks for any input.
IP address Logged
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 04:57:29 PM »

TBF has been around the longest.  Rockygrass and Folks are on the eastern slope of colorado and in a more intimate setting.  they all have their charms, and the audience is into the music.It is best to experience them and decide which is for you, especially the workshops before the two festivals in Lyons.  Look at the stuff online here and you will get a better idea
IP address Logged
Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 10:09:47 PM »

actually RockyGrass is older.  It started in 1973 and the first Telluride "festival" was in 1974.
IP address Logged

"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing. "  (Shunryu Suzuki)
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 10:19:58 AM »

Sorry, its just that on the western slope, it seems that Telluride was more prominent in our consciousness in the early years.
IP address Logged
Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 01:28:22 PM »

Oh I hear ya!  I never had heard of either one, until one day in college a guy asked me if I wanted to go to a little festival over in Telluride, and being 18 and new to Colorado I said "Sure, why not?"  Well that was that and I was hooked.
I still didn't know about RockyGrass for a number of years, and when I finally went I was surprised to find out it was older than TBF.
It's always just been a given that I would go to TBF since I live so close, and now to see all the people who come from all over the world is absolutely amazing, and I love it just as much now as I did then.  I don't think I'll ever outgrow Telluride Bluegrass Festival; it's what keeps me young at heart. Cheers
IP address Logged

"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing. "  (Shunryu Suzuki)
Pen
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 03:19:23 PM »

I'm sure everyone has their own experience.  In fact, each year the festivals bring me something different.

From my perspective (and mostly due to size), Rockygrass & Folks are more family friendly and laid back.  Teluride is just more intense - and more work too (due to difficulty to get to and size of crowds).  Now, don't take that as Teluride is worse - it's not.  My favorite festival/concert of all time was a Teluride a few years back.  Now that I'm married with a son, I'm looking for something different.  Who knows - maybe in ten years when my son turns into a musical prodigy I'll rank Teluride number one again.  Seems there where more picking circles there.  Of course, God will likely curse me and he will become a banjo player.

Wherever you go - I promise you'll have a good time!
IP address Logged

"How many of you folks have seen that movie "O Brother, Where Ya At?"--Ralph Stanley
Hot Sugar
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

Camp Run a Muck

URL icon « Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 10:50:08 AM »

From what I understand, Rockygrass is more bluegrass than Telluride. Telluride brings in the artists like David Byrne, Elvis Costello, Paolo Nutini, The Decemberists... which is really awesome. I doubt that most of those acts would make it to Rockygrasss, which is also pretty awesome
IP address Logged

"That spells clever not cleaver."
bluegrassbass
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 34

URL icon « Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 03:50:30 PM »

I think of TBGF and Rocky grass as beings siblings, with folks fest being more of a cousin to the two.  Based mostly to the crowd that goes. 
It think Telluride and rocky grass crowds are pretty similar and interchangable where as the Folks fest crowd is unique.  Music wise I think Telluride and Folks fest are closer together with Rocky grass being mostly bluegrass oriented. 

The thing is,  you got to check out all of them as they are all very different.   If you can't do em all,   do em one at a time. Cheers
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 01:33:31 PM by bluegrassbass » IP address Logged

Jim Fischer
Bassist for That Damn Sasquatch
Redknuckles
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 120

URL icon « Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 09:57:21 PM »

Telluride is all about what goes on main stage, some picking at night if your lucky enought to get in Town park,
major (week long) party.

Rockygrass is all about the night time picking in the campground after the shows. Some of the best anywhere, hands down.

Folks is very layed back and tends to be a very mellow, an older crowd, very little partying.
IP address Logged
Pages: [1] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC