Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 01:07:40 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Picked up the Mandolin
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Picked up the Mandolin  (Read 14488 times)
dude
Kinda digging this festival thing...

Festivation rating 45

URL icon « on: April 19, 2009, 11:36:06 AM »

In no small part due to TBF as well as the larger Bluegrass/Folk community in Colorado, I started playing mandolin this year.  I had been thinking about picking up a stringed instrument for some time, but there was something about the ad hoc jams I saw last year around TBF that I enjoyed as much as the main show (un-amplified acoustic music is a whole different thing to me) that gave me that final push to do it. It's been enormously satisfying, pickin' (kind of) and grinnin' (real wide).

I won't be packing my mandolin to Telluride this year, but a year out I should be able to contribute chop chords in a jam. I get excited just thinking about that! Thanks for the inspiration, Planet Bluegrass and good festivarians.
IP address Logged

Abide
BluegrassDustin
Administrator
...is kind of a big deal

Festivation rating 420

Living Life With Delusions Of Banjur

URL icon « Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 09:46:14 AM »

Thumbs Up

Cheers
IP address Logged

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those
who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Seuss

"An intellectual snob is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture and not think of The Lone Ranger."   -Dan Rather
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

3 chord's and a story that's me

URL icon « Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 09:53:25 AM »

Wave Hey dude you are in Denver??? We are neighbors!!
 Bring your Mandolin and at least there will be one person on my play level..  Flower
It,s the desire to play, you don't need to be good. We can stand on the outside of a jam and still learn a ton. That's my plan.
I should be farther along but HEY, it's my party and my interest is high, so I keep pluggin away when I get a chance.  Cheers
IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
TheBanjomatic
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 11:06:04 AM »

Yeah, what Landshark said... Just ask yourself if at any point you are going to wish you had it with you. If the answer is yes, then bring it along. Better to have it with you and not take it out of its case than to want to pick and not be able to. :)
IP address Logged

If a banjo player picks in the woods, and no one is there to hear him.... is he still making an awful lot of noise?
dude

Festivation rating 45

URL icon « Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 11:48:32 AM »

Yep, I'm a Denverite. At the end of the month I'm starting some formal schooling down at Swallow Hill in a class rather than a lesson - I have some friends (guitar and banjo) who have given me high hopes for the more social class format. So far I'm king of a couple scales, a couple chords, and a couple simple fiddle tunes from a Baldassari DVD. So satisfying, though, even at this stage.

Thinking about it like you two, I probably will carry the mandolin down there after all. My own thinking was that around an Ilium campfire playing 3 octave G scales (up AND down!) wasn't going to win me any friends and that I'd be wise to avoid the temptation lest a dude develop a reputation (picture 1 AM: why yes, I do play - here's a little ditty called Scale in G - want to hear it again? Of course you do...). But there are other scenarios too where it would be cool. Thanks for the support!

IP address Logged

Abide
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 02:32:34 PM »

Cheers OK so I will meet you at 1AM and we can jam out in all open chords and only in the key of G LOL LOL  Evil Smokin hot lil dude LOL LOL LOL
IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 02:41:05 PM »

Dude,

BRING THE MANDO TO TBF!

Warning: Stay away from Fishbone at 2 am.  LOL

One of the things I've been privy to both in Nashville and Telluride are picking/jam circles, and although I don't play, I love to watch. Part of the joy is seeing a novice picker sitting next to a seasoned player learning the cords/pick. The faces ligh up on both sides when things "click" for the newest player.

I've watched many a folk being taught tent side and play later like they've done it all their lives. I've seen a guy bring his 7 year old to sit on the outside of a circle and teach mando cords. In a big jam you're mistakes get covered. It's a great way to learn. If you don't wince or cuss no one will know it was you but the guy or gal next to you, and the only reaction you'll get is a wink and a nod or encouragement to keep playing. They understand because they've been there themselves. For all you know they were in your chair just last year.

It's a right of passage, Dude. Bring the Mando to Telluride.  Thumbs Up

Auntie Hope  :festivarian2 :green
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
dude

Festivation rating 45

URL icon « Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 11:32:21 AM »

Cheers OK so I will meet you at 1AM ...LOL LOL  Evil Smokin hot lil dude LOL LOL LOL

Howdy, maam.

Now Playing icon Listening to: The Vern Williams Band
IP address Logged

Abide
dude

Festivation rating 45

URL icon « Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 11:36:39 AM »

Auntie Hope, what is a Fishbone?

It's a right of passage, Dude. Bring the Mando to Telluride.  Thumbs Up

That totally hits my spot, the right of passage thing, as does the apprentiship stuff. Thanks!

Now Playing icon Listening to: The Vern Williams Band
IP address Logged

Abide
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 11:47:25 AM »

Howdy cowboy Flower
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 12:04:21 PM by landshark » IP address Logged

TellurideTom
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 426

URL icon « Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 03:03:14 PM »

Fishbone is one of the established veteran camps. Cheers
IP address Logged

Happy Trails....Wave

You can check out my Domain site or follow me on Facebook
Hippie
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 03:28:50 PM »

and Ma knows how to shut down an drunkin, useless pick in a second

:peace
IP address Logged

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. - Will Rogers
dude

Festivation rating 45

URL icon « Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 03:37:36 PM »

Uh, that would be me  Wave. Thanks for the heads up.
IP address Logged

Abide
Flagstaff Jess
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

Seize the Cocktail!

URL icon « Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 11:58:13 AM »

Uh, that would be me  Wave. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm a Fishboner, Ma doesn't shut down jams, she shushes loud drunks who interrupt jams with their squawking.

Dude, bring the mando.  The best part about being a beginner is sitting under a tree during the day with someone a little better than you and learning to play even just one song.  People at TBF want you to learn to play and everyone is generous with their time in helping folks learn.
IP address Logged

Begin doing what you want to do now.  We are not living in eternity.  We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand and melting like a snowflake.  Let us use it before it is too late.   - Marie Bevon Ray
ilovethelorax
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 06:37:05 PM »

I'm a Fishboner, Ma doesn't shut down jams, she shushes loud drunks who interrupt jams with their squawking.

Dude, bring the mando.  The best part about being a beginner is sitting under a tree during the day with someone a little better than you and learning to play even just one song.  People at TBF want you to learn to play and everyone is generous with their time in helping folks learn.

Amen sister.  Thumbs Up

kym, who knows late night and otherwise music is always welcome...this IS town park we're talking about here
IP address Logged

I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music. It seems to infuse strength into my limbs and ideas into my brain. Life seems to go on without effort, when I am filled with music.

George Eliot (1819-1880)
Pages: [1] 2 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC