Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 10:48:22 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  recommendations wanted for camping mattress
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: recommendations wanted for camping mattress  (Read 21634 times)
TellurideTom
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 426

URL icon « Reply #30 on: April 07, 2009, 09:12:40 PM »

Do you guys have your equipment air lifted in ?

Ive got this image of the snow melting off the mountains to reveal they are made solely of camping gear for TBF campers.  LOL LOL LOL

It only took 3 guys and a small bribe to carry in my futon 2 years ago.   LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

I was one of those guys! I don't remember the bribe though. Wink
IP address Logged

Happy Trails....Wave

You can check out my Domain site or follow me on Facebook
heaubeau
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #31 on: April 07, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »

For my setup two years ago, I had a z-rest (egg cell foam that folds) and a thermarest-type pad under my sleeping bag and I was decently comfy.  I also had a tiny tent which warmed from body heat faster. I understand it was colder last year, but think that setup would have been just fine. I did crash in Tom's guest house one night though and am bringing a cot with some padding for warmth this year because Tom's cot was way more comfortable, but a little colder.  I was however not in the state of mind to complain or even notice the temperature difference until morning, which is why I had to sleep in the guest house, not at my tent back in Mary E. Ilium.  I am just hoping the comfort of the cot wasn't a figment of my imagination.

Thumbs Up

Now Playing icon Listening to: Famous Blue Raincoat - Leonard Cohen
IP address Logged

pronounced hobo
Kaptain Karlos
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

2008 TBF Flamingo Slayer

URL icon « Reply #32 on: April 09, 2009, 10:13:05 AM »

What brand/style of mattress do you use while camping?

For years now we have used our Thermarests which have served us well. One now has been repaired multiple times and is on its last puffs of air, so I am in the market for new bedding. We are actually thinking of going more luxurious  Sunshine for Telluride and getting a real air mattress. I want to minimize inflating issues and deflating (punctures) issues as much as possible so I am seeking some advise.

What brands do you recommend?
What should I stay away from?
Do you have any set up advise? Do you put anything special underneath the mattress (besides the tent)?
anything else I should consider in this area?

Thanks

For festival camping, I set-up a large tent that I can stand up in and use an infatable Coleman mattress (king or queen) to sleep on.  I cover the mattress with a down comforter or un-zipped sleeping bag and then add a fitted sheet.  On top, I place a bed-sheet and another down comforter as a blanket, plus a few pillows.  I sleep in long underware and with this set-up never feel the cold - except when making a mid-night run to the bathroom or checking my smoker temps.  Air expands or contracts in response to temperature.  You might think your mattress has a small leak, but it probably doesn't.  An air-filled mattress is firmer during the day and softer during the night.  Topping-off your air mattress in the evening is OK, but remember you're adding air to a fully inflated mattress, and when it heats up during the day-time, a leak may begin due to over-inflation.  Air mattresses should be a little soft, and I think some air is lost over time thru the valve.  I top mine off every couple of days or so with a battery-powered pump without problem.  To prevent the cold ground from chilling the air in the mattress and then chilling you, place an emergency blanket between your tent floor and the mattress.  An emergency blanket is inexpensive, thin, and provides a barrier between the mattress and the ground retarding heat transfer and or loss.  Using a layer of foil-backed bubble sheeting (used as isulation in ag and construction projects) is even better, because a thin layer of air sandwiched between two layers of foil is very effective as a temperature barrier.  I am warmest in bed when I have a bed-mate snuggled up next to me... good luck.

Kaptain Karlos  :dance :dance :dance
IP address Logged
aztoma
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #33 on: April 09, 2009, 01:34:22 PM »

wow, thanks for the many posts! This definitely gives me some ideas to check out. Kaptain Karlos you are so thorough - after reading your post, your bed sounds so comfy I am sure you will find a bedmate in no time  LOL

Now Playing icon Listening to: There's no Tortillas - Lalo Guerrero
IP address Logged

Everything that happens will happen today
& nothing has changed, but nothing's the same
and ev'ry tomorrow could be yesterday
& and ev'rything that happens will happen today
 - David Byrne
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC