Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 12:50:41 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Bela, Throw down your Heart
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Bela, Throw down your Heart  (Read 12063 times)
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « on: March 04, 2009, 08:09:52 PM »

Caught this on another thread.

Anyone want to share their thoughts on the new CD?

Auntie Hope  :festivarian2 :green

Now Playing icon Listening to: Random guitar picking in the office.
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
Doc Mike
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 10:41:59 AM »

Brilliant, amazing music. I can hardly wait for the film release (couldn't get in at TBF last year.)  great overview of many styles of mostly west African music. If Oumou Sangare's voice on the second-to-last track doesn't slay you, you must be dead.
IP address Logged

We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams.
~Willy Wonka
ilovethelorax
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 11:41:08 AM »

All right Mike, you've sent me on a mission to Music Millenium, my local purveyor which I love and live in fear of disappearing in these weird times. Have you visited when you've been in town? Part of what makes this a great city in my humble opinion. Check them out next time you find yourself in these parts.

Now Playing icon Listening to: if i live to be 100...lewi longmire
IP address Logged

I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music. It seems to infuse strength into my limbs and ideas into my brain. Life seems to go on without effort, when I am filled with music.

George Eliot (1819-1880)
Doc Mike
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 11:59:42 AM »

I love Music Millenium!  Everyone needs to support their independent music store!  Hot Poop (really) in Walla Walla is closest to me. It's the oldest indie store in the NW and I fear it may not be around long, either.
IP address Logged

We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams.
~Willy Wonka
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

3 chord's and a story that's me

URL icon « Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 12:09:07 PM »

Everyone needs to support their independent music store!
Trust me Mike I know  I do my part for the economy LOL LOL I could fill  my 300 CD player 4 times over.....I know I can download but hey,,,,,, I have a small business I can relate..

I sealed all my albums in the wall of my house with a note like a time capsual... Frank Zappa, The Beatles, Rolling Stones....Bet after awhile I will do the same for my CD's when they become obsouleet....my spelling needs work fer sure LOL
It's hard to catch this at Telluride..... but I am looking forward to seeing the movie soon.... Lookinfg forward to hearing Bela and what he's been up to. I will have a fresh set of ears to listen with.

Now Playing icon Listening to: Lyle Lovett                                                       More Pretty Girls Than One
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 12:17:24 PM by landshark » IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 06:57:47 PM »

So.... does anyone here want to catch the movie in Telluride this year. I know it played last year, but if there's enough interest I'm sure The Planet would send along the message that we want a second year showing of "Throw Down Your Heart".

WARNING: There is an increased danger of falling asleep during a late-night movie in T'ride because it's warm in the room! (My thanks to Bluegrass Brian for never letting me know if I snore.)  LOL

Aunite Hope  :festivarian2 :green
IP address Logged

ilovethelorax
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 08:43:56 AM »

It would be great to see in the week before the festival starts. Maybe even a matinee or two.

Now Playing icon Listening to: tasty homegrown music
IP address Logged

I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music. It seems to infuse strength into my limbs and ideas into my brain. Life seems to go on without effort, when I am filled with music.

George Eliot (1819-1880)
Hippie
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 10:18:45 AM »

It would be great to see in the week before the festival starts. Maybe even a matinee or two.

I'm sure Run a Muck could assemble the gear if there is a digital version of the film. We'll just host the thing in camp say on the Tuesday night before fest?

I'll make the coffee - who's got the popcorn covered?

:peace
IP address Logged

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. - Will Rogers
TheBanjomatic
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 10:26:39 AM »

I'm sure Run a Muck could assemble the gear if there is a digital version of the film. We'll just host the thing in camp say on the Tuesday night before fest?

I'll make the coffee - who's got the popcorn covered?

:peace

That would be fantastic... I had tickets for the movie last year and didn't go because i was exhausted by the time the festival started and would rather spend time in camp jamming out. I'm seeing Bela on his Africa tour in a few weeks, I'll try to talk to him about the idea.

Adam
IP address Logged

If a banjo player picks in the woods, and no one is there to hear him.... is he still making an awful lot of noise?
ilovethelorax
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 10:51:38 AM »

That is a brilliant idea Jerry!
IP address Logged

George Eliot (1819-1880)
cowvox

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 09:08:58 PM »

I, by good fortune caught this on our PBS station last week. It was just relentlessly beautiful. I admire B so much. I text'd him and he told me that was the one hour version. Run and grab it. PS I watched it with my 11 & 17 year old step daughters and they demanded we get it.
cowvox
IP address Logged
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 10:23:23 PM »

I, by good fortune caught this on our PBS station last week. It was just relentlessly beautiful. I admire B so much. I text'd him and he told me that was the one hour version. Run and grab it. PS I watched it with my 11 & 17 year old step daughters and they demanded we get it.
cowvox

I also watched it here in Nashville, but with a young lady from Kenya. It was funny that even with the sub titles she was translating for me.  LOL

John, please text Bela again and let hin know we expect to see DVD's in Telluride!  Thumbs Up

Auntie Hope  :festivarian2 :green
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 10:26:49 PM by Hope Lin » IP address Logged

ilovethelorax
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 10:32:37 AM »

After finally wrestling the stereo away from my young pirate, I was able to give this a listen and I love it! I think this sort of collaborative work is what I love best about Bela's talent. There is such a playful tone. You can hear how much the artists are enjoying the time together making that music. In fact, I think it's that very thing that I love about the Telluride stage in general. And now I really can't wait to see the film!
IP address Logged

George Eliot (1819-1880)
TheBanjomatic
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 05:10:31 PM »

If this tour is in your area... don't think, just go! Fantastic show...  Medal Thumbs Up
IP address Logged

If a banjo player picks in the woods, and no one is there to hear him.... is he still making an awful lot of noise?
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 08:04:05 PM »

I'm listening to the cd.  It's wonderful Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
IP address Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC