Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 10:17:18 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  What are some of your first memories of music , dance and song?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: What are some of your first memories of music , dance and song?  (Read 15242 times)
Ron N Deb
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 11:01:28 PM »

My father is from eastern Tennessee, left home at 17 and joined the Army.  He was stationed in Germany where he met my mother.  I was born there in 1965.  We lived in Germany until I was in elementary school.  When we moved to the states we stopped in Tennessee for a family reunion.  They were all meeting my mother, me and my brother for the first time.  Even though we were my dad's kids were about as "un-southern" as we could be and Dad never talked about his family.  So they were all strangers.

I remember being in a large park with huge trees.  There was a group of people under a tree playing music.  It was like something I had never heard before.  I remember just lurking around listening.  At one point this tall man - probably 6'4" set a guitar down against a tree.  When no one was looking I went over to check it out.  I was just about to touch it when the big guy came back and said, "Girl you know how to pick that thing?"  In total terror I sprinted over to my mother.  That was the end of that.

Five years ago at the urging of my friend Joe Cox from Fishbone I went to my first bluegrass festival.....Telluride.  I pulled up late Wednesday to the Fishbone camp.  Joe met me on the street we hugged, and then he took me into the tarp majal and there for the first time since I was that dumb little German kid I heard that music again.  My parents never played bluegrass or mountain music when I was growing up.  It was just pop radio.  I will never forget how I felt that night hearing bluegrass again - it was like I knew it on a cellular level.  I remember telling Joe I have to learn to play this music.  Have to.  It was never going to be enough to just listen.

Been a junky ever since.   LOL

Joe is a good Man ....and Bless him for bringing you to this Motley Crew ..
IP address Logged

Peace N Love
Ron N Deb
BigGriz

Festivation rating 0

Under the ol elm tree

URL icon « Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 07:07:34 AM »

Lots of variety growing up, Big bands, Mitch, and my older sisters Who, Zep, Airplane, Beatles, then.................. year 1 of college, John Hartford and Vasser playing at the county fairgrounds to a smallish crowd but an overjoyed & happyfooted griz~ 

Now Playing icon Listening to: Greencards
IP address Logged
ilovethelorax
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 11:13:30 AM »

Sitting on the couch (I think I was about 4) listening to my mom play guitar and sing Me & Bobby McGee. It was the first song I knew all the words to. There was a lot of Janis Joplin in that house. Pearl was the first album I bought for myself and still is so great! I also grew up with a lot of Joan Baez, Emmylou, Kris Kristofferson, Rita Coolidge, Peter, Paul and Mary. I suppose I'll never really understand what happened when my mother turned to the Statler Brothers after all that.  huh

Now Playing icon Listening to: some crazy good hip hop flute player
IP address Logged

I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music. It seems to infuse strength into my limbs and ideas into my brain. Life seems to go on without effort, when I am filled with music.

George Eliot (1819-1880)
tczues

Festivation rating 0

URL icon « Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 08:30:48 AM »

9/3/77 Raceway park. Englishtown, NJ. The grateful Dead, The allman Brothers and New riders of the purple sage. I was 7 and my Dad took me.
IP address Logged
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

3 chord's and a story that's me

URL icon « Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 09:29:29 AM »

9/3/77 Raceway park. Englishtown, NJ. The grateful Dead, The allman Brothers and New riders of the purple sage. I was 7 and my Dad took me.

Wow New Riders Of The Purple Sage, my first Bluegrass as a young teen..... Medal
IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

3 chord's and a story that's me

URL icon « Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 08:10:48 AM »

My mom (from Knoxville TN.) watching HEE HAW with Flatts and Scruggs when my step dad was not home... He called it Hillbilly music.....he was a city slicker..

My mom waxing and buffing the floors in the rec room, then moving all the furniture so we could slip around and dance to Nat King Cole, Harry Belafonte, Etta James, Johnny Mathis.

Trying to teach my step dad how to twist LOL
IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
bouzouki
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 05:06:47 PM »

One night I saw a band, stood close to the speakers, listened with my eyes closed, and went home after the show was over.  I had my eyes closed and one of the songs ended, I opened my eyes and I was lying in bed, imagine my surprise.
IP address Logged
Jimtown Farmergirl

Festivation rating 11

URL icon « Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 12:13:02 AM »

Dancing to my daddy's piano playing  - "Kitten on the Keys" was a favorite.

I wore out Dolly Parton's album with "Coat of Many Colors" and "Jolene".

First bluegrass festival at Adams County Fairgrounds in 1981 and Hot Rize became my favorite band.

Now Playing icon Listening to: The Nashville Sessions, Leftover Salmon
IP address Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC