Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 09:14:38 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Re: Sam, Curtis, John, Tony, Dan, J.D. and the boys benefit concert - Mar 20 '09
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Re: Sam, Curtis, John, Tony, Dan, J.D. and the boys benefit concert - Mar 20 '09  (Read 116730 times)
Flagstaff Jess
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

Seize the Cocktail!

URL icon « Reply #60 on: March 13, 2009, 08:53:06 PM »

[

Ok, on a serious note, I've worked in marketing in the past, have written press releases, approved press releases, had press releases approved, etc (makes me think of Lloyd Dobler...but the other way).

The Bluegrass Hotel continues to write press releases using Sam Bush's name, describing his family situation, etc - I can almost guarantee you that they did not let Sam or his management company approve the above release. And it is downright shameful how they try to intimate Sam's agreement into their bogus production with statements like:

"Sam Bush is a cancer survivor and his father recently passed away from the disease.  New Grass Revival founder Courtney Johnson also died from cancer.  And Tony Rice is ill and presently not in good health. "

What does the above have to do with anything regarding Sam and his participation in their show? Their logic is flawed; their tactics shameless.

Bill Millet, give it a rest.
[/quote]

Agreed Billy B.

This is horseshit.  And I seriously doubt if the release contained the little emoticon. 

If anything he is just giving Bush and Rice's attorneys more ammo to use against him.  Not too brilliant.  But fascinating in a sociological horror movie kinda way.

Top ten things not to do when you fail at negotiations....
IP address Logged

Begin doing what you want to do now.  We are not living in eternity.  We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand and melting like a snowflake.  Let us use it before it is too late.   - Marie Bevon Ray
420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

shake it, shake it, Sugaree

URL icon « Reply #61 on: March 13, 2009, 10:56:32 PM »

Wow, this is really interesting to me.  First off, I don't know the history; I just like the music.  I had no idea that the Bluegrass Hotel was a place where people actually lived.

The Boys are standing in front of Harry Bickel's place Dec 14, 2008 - The Bluegrass Hotel. We never called it anything like that back in 1975. It was just Bickel's place.

L to R, Doc Hamilton, Harry Sparks, and Harry Bickel are seated inside, in 1977. Doc lived there, as did Bill Millet, and myself. We 3 were roommates. Bickel owned the place, which he recently purchased. Many musicians were cycling through several major bands during this period.

Tony Rice left JD Crowe's band, and went out on his own - launching an excellent LP titled, "California Autumn." Glenn Lawson quit Bluegrass Alliance, and replaced Tony in JD's band. Vince Gill also played in BG Alliance and lived at Bickel's place. At one point, Vince and I moved out of Bickel's place. We rented a nearby apartment together for several months - upstairs at the "grannys' place."

In this same period, Vince Gill also played in Ricky Scaggs' band, Boone Creek. They were just up the road in Lexington, KY. Jerry Douglas was also in Boone Creek at this time. Just before Tony Rice left JD Crowe band in this period, JD had Tony Rice, Ricky Scaggs and Jerry Douglas together in his band. It was JD's band with this grouping, and Seldom Scene that were 2 of the hottest bands playing regularly at all the best Festivals on the east coast back then. Plus you had Norman Blake and Tut Taylor, Vassar Clements, and John Harford. The list went on from there.

Also at Bickel's place was an impressive repair shop setup in Harry's basement. Harry Sparks (Sparky) was the master instrument repairman with Bickel by his side. I saw Sam Bush fly into Louisville a few times - between shows, while on tour - with instrument problems. Sam wasn't the only one who never let anyone but Sparky work on his axe.

Bands touring through would stop by Bickel's place. NewGrass Revival were constantly playing in town, and often came over to Bickel's after the gigs. The boys often stayed up late at Bickel's place jamming, partying, cutting up, and hangin out. There was an awful lot of music in that house - day and night. I was sitting right there. So Bickel's place plays a key and vital role in the rich history of this wonderful music.

This is the essence of The Bluegrass Hotel project: telling this part of the story. I was asked to help out on the project. The rest is history.
IP address Logged

Turn on your Lovelight... and leave it ON!
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

3 chord's and a story that's me

URL icon « Reply #62 on: March 14, 2009, 07:33:18 AM »

Wave Hey Johnny C. great show at the Wildflower!!! Sorry about all the B.S. but just shows ta go ya John,,,
 sometimes things have to go wrong so you can appreciate when they do go right... Flower Sunshine

And we all thought we could breeze right through this life..... Flower

TELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLURRRRRRRIIIIIIIDE!!!! SEE YOU IN JUNE Medal
IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
Gal on Bass

Festivation rating 0

URL icon « Reply #63 on: March 14, 2009, 08:58:16 AM »

Thank God there is Merlefest to look forward to in just 40 days.

I can't begin to register my disappointment at the implosion of this concert. I have been looking forward to a Newgrass Revival concert ever since my last sighting in 1983, and numerous concerts in the Chicago Milwaukee area. I did not know what Bluegrass was when I met my husband, but he had the opportunity to open for the band on a few occasions, and I thought that if this is what it was, I'm in!

My heart is 100% for the musicians, I just hope we can get past this and have a reunion concert put together at some point in time by someone with more integrity and sense than the current organizers.

See you all at Merlefest!

Now Playing icon Listening to: Folk Alley out of Kent, Ohio on streaming audio...
IP address Logged
Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #64 on: March 14, 2009, 09:34:35 AM »

I read somewhere, don't remember where since I've looked at so much relating to this topic, that Sam absolutely did not ask for any fee.   It has to do with contractual obligations and releases and other legal things that were asked for but were never forthcoming, and that is why he has declined.  If I come across it again I will post it, but now I'm going skiing! Later ya'll
IP address Logged

"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing. "  (Shunryu Suzuki)
420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #65 on: March 14, 2009, 11:18:54 AM »

I read somewhere that Sam absolutely did not ask for any fee. It has to do with contractual obligations and releases and other legal things that were asked for but were never forthcoming, and that is why he has declined. If I come across it again I will post it.

Sam's website has had this letter, which was sent to Bill Millet - from Sam's and Lynn's attorney, posted on his homepage for a couple of days. Sam's website is linking to this letter for you to read. The link points to a pdf document, actually being hosted at a website named robstokes.com

So in plain English: I grabbed the 2-page doc, put it together, and put it back up over at my account. Hope this helps. I am sickened by this turn of events. As we have all witnessed, my admiration for John Cowan goes far beyond his incredible generosity, talents, and his wonderful thoughts. It always comes back to Sam. And where there's Sam, there's Lynn.

Living at Bickel's place tops my list of proudest moments in my lifetime - together with me taping The Grateful Dead / Allman Bros spectacle at RFK Stadium - June 9 / 10, 1973. Imagine: I witnessed the birth of The Grateful Dead Wall of Sound era; wound up at Bickel's place; then I witnessed the birth of Bluegrass Alliance's "Kentucky Blue" LP; the birth of NewGrass Revival's "Fly Through the Country" LP — I saw the most smokin' years of the John Cowan era from the beginning... performing at The Mason Jar (previously named The Bluegrass Renaissance) night-after-sizzlin'-night. Then the boys and us went back to Bickel's place and stayed up all night. I dare not forget to mention my fondness for the friendly local Louisville musicians and bands who were also hanging out at Bickel's place — nor forget to mention the Road Apples crew and others from St. Louis, who were musicians in Bluegrass Alliance and Lazy River.

Sparky was the ring-leader of the bunch of us at the time, imo. Bickel's place was ground-zero. Harry Bickel was a very generous host, and a pretty cool character. He allowed many musicians to live at his place - many, if not most of them, on little or no notice. Perhaps JD Crowe was top dog in the 'hood. Seeing my old friends this past December was another one of my fondest moments.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 06:17:11 PM by 420Sugaree » IP address Logged

Flagstaff Jess
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

Seize the Cocktail!

URL icon « Reply #66 on: March 14, 2009, 11:58:16 AM »

Ok, I'm new to this blogging thing so you'll have to forgive me while I figure it all out. I decided to register because I've been reading the forum about the Bluegrass Hotel project.

My dad was a member of the Bluegrass Alliance and was invited to take part in the project. We all went down in December and it was absolutely amazing. To have so many talented artists under one roof on Saturday.... simply unbelievable. The concert on Sunday night was awesome as well. The whole weekend seemed to go extremely well... all the artists involved, including Bill, seemed to be getting along great and having a great time... and everyone outwardly seemed to be ALL FOR THE ENTIRE PROJECT!!

At the press conference Saturday morning, the artists, Bill Millet, and Fred Bernstein (and everyone else involved) expressed their excitement about the project, about the benefits to the ACS, and about the future events. In my opinion, the weekend couldn't have gone too much better than it did and we left looking forward to March 20th and making arrangements (and spending money that is non-refundable for what we thought would be a great tribute to Bluegrass Music and a great money-maker for ACS).

From day one, all we kept thinking was man this is a great historical project... a great way to document part of the great history of Bluegrass music, and also to have something good come from it for the ACS. That is what it has always been about for my dad from day one, which is why he was so excited to be part of this.

Now, for whatever reason ( I don't know, and I don't care),  it seems that this great historical, charitable event has been ruined. I don't know what the real story is and neither does anyone else except the primary parties involved. In December, Bill as well as all of the artists involved seemed absolutely wonderful - all great people uniting for the same great cause. Now, all of this crap has gone on (and based on how things went in December, I'm convinced that something had to have happened AFTER that - I truly don't believe this is a conflict that had been going on previously, and if this conflict had been going on prior to December, then both Bill and the "all-stars" are to blame for misleading everyone else!) and to be honest, it disgusts me. We have a group of about 15 people (friends and family) who have all made reservations and purchased tickets for the event on the 20th. We're all going to be traveling a good distance to get there. My dad and many other artists who have been involved in this project this whole time will still be making the trip to Louisville to perform and to fulfill their obligation as they promised that they would. We are going to go and have a great time for a good cause.

As I said, I don't know who is at fault for this thing coming apart.... I'm not taking one side over another.... I just think it is horrible that this project has been allowed to fall apart. I personally feel that the artists ( and I absolutely love them all ) should have sucked it up and performed as scheduled in Louisville on the 20th and then after this project was over this thing could've been fought out in Court if thats what they feel is necessary. Now, a great historical project (which all of these artists have been involved in WILLINGLY from day one) is now very likely to be completely ruined. There are now MANY very unhappy fans and innocent victims ( The Galt House and the ACS).

For John Cowan to offer a free concert - that is a great thing for him to do to try to make up for not appearing in the Bluegrass Hotel Concert.

In addition, I would like to say that everything in this blog entry is simply my opinion and nothing more.

I hope that fans and musicians alike will pull together to make this project a success for Bluegrass Music and for the American Cancer Society (this is not about any specific person or group of people, it is about bluegrass music and the ACS).

My dad and many other artists will be there regardless.... music WILL be played, and fun WILL be had!!!!!!

Unfortunately once the lawyers get involved that "cant we all just get along and play anyway" plea no longer carries any water.

Too bad all around for everyone.
IP address Logged

Begin doing what you want to do now.  We are not living in eternity.  We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand and melting like a snowflake.  Let us use it before it is too late.   - Marie Bevon Ray
Bennyz23

Festivation rating 0

URL icon « Reply #67 on: March 14, 2009, 12:37:12 PM »

Go to

www.bluegrasshotel.com

We're going to this festival.  However the main Headliner:  Sam Bush

will not be here!   Sam was the main reason we were driving from Michigan to Louisville.

Hopefully, the promoter of this festival has the rest of his crap together!
IP address Logged
Ron N Deb
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #68 on: March 14, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »

Benny ...we are all sorry and a bit upset over this whole thing
no need to start another thread ....
 Cheers
IP address Logged

Peace N Love
Ron N Deb
TellurideTom
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 426

URL icon « Reply #69 on: March 14, 2009, 05:03:17 PM »

From Sam's website today....

To my friends and fans March 14, 2009

I apologize to all you.  I cannot perform in Louisville on March 20.  I promise you I will work fervently to restore my reputation and earn your trust that Bill Millet has stolen from me.

To say this situation is out of control is a major understatement.  The duplicity with which self-titled executive producer Bill Millet has and continues to conduct himself towards you the fans, the performers, vendors and participants of the Bluegrass Hotel Project has undermined the foundation, principal and loyalty of those involved.

For those that ask how this could happen......   so do I.  I couldn't stop him from using my name before and I can't stop him now.  What he continues to do to me and others through the anonymity of the internet makes him, among many nasty things, a cyber stalker.  He has hurled so many lies at all of us.  Only some have been addressed in the Cease and Desist letter to Bill Millet from my attorney; that you can read on this site.

What Bill Millet continues to do to you, me, my friends and my family is ethically immoral and morally reprehensible.  Not to mention expensive.  In my 40 years in the music business, I have never been placed in a more despicable situation than this.

I apologize to all of you,

Sam
IP address Logged

Happy Trails....Wave

You can check out my Domain site or follow me on Facebook
420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #70 on: March 14, 2009, 05:56:38 PM »

billmillet@yahoo.com

This aggression will not stand, man... Wink

Bill Millet, please stop dogging Sam Bush.

Monte is calling you out — right here, right now. The people have spoken!

Sam and Lynn, John, and Tony — just say the word, whatever — I'm here for you

I am 100 percent with Sam on this

This is beyond very disrespectful to 40 years of glory for the best there ever was

I am believing that Harry Bickel is getting hate-messages. I am now being asked by the best fans there are, to put up on TheBluegrassHotel website, the latest Bill Millet schedule "as listed" in the latest release by The Bluegrass Hotel. I shall dutifully honor this most-proper request. It is my responsibility. Give me a few moments for this. Andrew Bergman, Attorney at Law for The Bluegrass Hotel, you know where to find me.

Mar 14, 2009 at 5:26 PM
to:   Monte Barry
Cc:   The Bluegrass Hotel

Re:   The Bluegrass Hotel

Monte,

You need to update the line-up of artists on the Bluegrass Hotel Web Site before more unsuspecting people spend their hard-earned money on an expensive hotel room and extra tickets to the event for all their friends.

I am one of those people and I am working hard to try to get my “hard-earned” money back.

This event is obviously a sham job concert, as you still have Tony Rice and John Cowan listed as performers when they have obviously stated on their websites that they are not going to participate.

I understand that this is not your fault Monte. But, thousands of people have been lied to, and I am sure that hundreds must be pretty angry about what has happened.

I have requested a refund of ticket money that I have already spent and I plan to cancel my hotel reservation and get that money back too.

Sincerely,

Steve Mohler – Evansville, Indiana

Steve, I cannot apologize enough times to all of you - nor describe to an acceptable extent to any of you - the shame, disgust, embarrassment, horror, and tremendous loss of honor and dignity I am experiencing right now — along with pretty much everyone else vectoring in on this piece of crap thread. I feel dirty.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 10:10:32 PM by 420Sugaree » IP address Logged

Ron N Deb
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #71 on: March 15, 2009, 02:46:03 AM »

I'm curious how is it that this stuff is now being duked out on the Festivarian Forum?  I mean this deal isn't a PB event....

don't get me wrong, it's a fascinating read, but I noticed that the Bluegrass hotel website actually has a link to this forum.

Damn.

Hey, if this ends up making TP tickets harder to get I'm gonna get cranky!  Mad

Jess Im with you ...
420 thanks for the input and damage control
John you are the Man !

but how the Link got put up on the Site ....makes me wonder
We are All Sadden by the events taken place ...but Still this is Planet Bluegrass Site not the Bluegrass Hotel
why should the two be tied together...
Yes Festavarians we all are ...
I will not Delete anything else and let Planet Bluegrass decide ..
Dustin/Craig expect a call on Monday !
Peace

Ron

« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 02:57:05 AM by Ron N Deb » IP address Logged

Peace N Love
Ron N Deb
BillyBeru
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

"Good evening, music lovers!"

URL icon « Reply #72 on: March 15, 2009, 09:16:50 AM »

I'm curious how is it that this stuff is now being duked out on the Festivarian Forum?  I mean this deal isn't a PB event....

don't get me wrong, it's a fascinating read, but I noticed that the Bluegrass hotel website actually has a link to this forum.

Damn.

Hey, if this ends up making TP tickets harder to get I'm gonna get cranky!  Mad

Jess Im with you ...
420 thanks for the input and damage control
John you are the Man !

but how the Link got put up on the Site ....makes me wonder
We are All Sadden by the events taken place ...but Still this is Planet Bluegrass Site not the Bluegrass Hotel
why should the two be tied together...
Yes Festavarians we all are ...
I will not Delete anything else and let Planet Bluegrass decide ..
Dustin/Craig expect a call on Monday !
Peace

Ron

Hmm, I hope that wasn't even a remote hint of censorship - I don't think it was but...

Festivarians talk about many things that aren't directly related to Planet Bluegrass. Unless this site wants to be renamed "PlanetBluegrassfestivarians.com" and we agree to a terms and conditions which state that all posts must be of content directly related to Planet Bluegrass events, etc - NOW of course I am kidding (and have had too much coffee).

But that's the nature of forums and blogs - there is always going to be some tangential discussions - heck, that's the nature of life.

Of course, it will also be the nature of people to question why certain topics are being discussed and that's ok too. So I guess what I am saying it let the discussion take its natural course. Where it goes, if/when it ends, will be its natural fate. Lets not let any higher power thought control influence the natural course of events.
IP address Logged

"How many of you have been at the festival all four days?"
420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #73 on: March 15, 2009, 11:39:03 AM »

The Bluegrass Hotel website has moved to another Host, or web server. This means, I, Monte Barry, am no longer the interim Web Master for the bluegrass hotel-dot-com web site. I am no longer Hosting the bluegrass hotel web site at my web server account.

I am no longer the Web Master for the content on The Bluegrass Hotel web site.

The Domain Name, "TheBluegrassHotel.com", is registered at Register.com in Bill Millet's name, and is owned by The Bluegrass Hotel, LLC. Andrew Bergman is Attorney at Law for The Bluegrass Hotel.

Sam and Lynn, John, Tony, all you wonderful Boys - and the great ladies that are with them, and Ron N Deb, Tom, Bluegrass Dustin, everyone, Planet Bluegrass... shame on me for bringing this mess here to your Forum. I guess it was a bad idea. I believe this will come to pass. I apologize again. I am sorry about this mess.
IP address Logged

BillyBeru
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

"Good evening, music lovers!"

URL icon « Reply #74 on: March 15, 2009, 12:14:30 PM »

The Bluegrass Hotel website has moved to another Host, or web server. This means, I, Monte Barry, am no longer the interim Web Master for the bluegrass hotel-dot-com web site. I am no longer Hosting the bluegrass hotel web site at my web server account.

I am no longer the Web Master for the content on The Bluegrass Hotel web site.

The Domain Name, "TheBluegrassHotel.com", is registered at Register.com in Bill Millet's name, and is owned by The Bluegrass Hotel, LLC. Andrew Bergman is Attorney at Law for The Bluegrass Hotel.

Sam and Lynn, John, Tony, all you wonderful Boys - and the great ladies that are with them, and Ron N Deb, Tom, Bluegrass Dustin, everyone, Planet Bluegrass... shame on me for bringing this mess here to your Forum. I guess it was a bad idea. I believe this will come to pass. I apologize again. I am sorry about this mess.

Monte,

From my perspective there is nothing for which you need to apologize - you were only trying to inform bluegrass fans of what appeared to be an awesome and historic event. It's not your fault that the promoters mislead some folks.

I don't hold any ill will to you, in fact it's just the opposite. Your music posts and links on this forum are awesome and I appreciate it.  Cheers

Billy
IP address Logged

"How many of you have been at the festival all four days?"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC