Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 18, 2024, 03:21:08 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Re: Sam, Curtis, John, Tony, Dan, J.D. and the boys benefit concert - Mar 20 '09
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Re: Sam, Curtis, John, Tony, Dan, J.D. and the boys benefit concert - Mar 20 '09  (Read 118341 times)
420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

shake it, shake it, Sugaree

URL icon « on: December 19, 2008, 11:29:02 AM »

The Bluegrass Hotel - Harry Bickel's place in Louisville - Dec 14, 2008

Tony Rice, Curtis Burch, Dan Crary, J.D. Crowe, John Cowan, Sam Bush
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 10:51:50 AM by 420Sugaree » IP address Logged

Turn on your Lovelight... and leave it ON!
Cindy Lou
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 06:04:48 PM »

Well yee-ha! Sure wish I lived out that way! That's not entirely true, but it would sure be nice to see this show, and support a good cause at the same time.  If anyone has a private jet and wants to fly me out there just let me know, I'll be sure to bring my dancin' shoes! dancing
IP address Logged

"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing. "  (Shunryu Suzuki)
420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 02:16:10 PM »

Here's a few pics and some info about the boys gathering in Louisville this past Dec 13 and 14.

Note -- this comes from Bill yesterday. I'm just a mirror. Tickets go on sale Jan 19. I might add, you can make reservations right now at the Galt House. I just called them. $145 gets you a suite at The Galt House on March 20 plus 2 concert tickets w/premium seating. These special reservations are made under The Bluegrass Hotel group name. These reservations are NON-REFUNDABLE. Rates for additional nights stay are also $145. You may cancel these extra nights, without charge, prior to 48-hours notice. Check-in is 3pm. Check-out is 11am. Here's the seating layout, with Bill's new press release below. I'm thinking the seats at the round tables are these premium tickets. I imagine all the other seats are the tickets going on sale Jan 19.

-- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE --

NEWGRASS RETURNS HOME TO LOUISVILLE, KENTUCKY

Sam Bush and original members of New Grass Revival & The Bluegrass Alliance announce major concert event at the Galt House to benefit American Cancer Society

January 3, 2009  |  Louisville, KY - Two of the world’s most innovative and influential music bands return home to Louisville, Kentucky, the birthplace of the NEW GRASS REVIVAL and its predecessor THE BLUEGRASS ALLIANCE.   These bands created and defined a new style called Newgrass, mixing traditional Bill Monroe-styled Bluegrass with a fusion of rock, blues and jazz.   Led by SAM BUSH - the Father of Newgrass - the recordings, concerts and members of the New Grass Revival and The Bluegrass Alliance have become part of the folklore of the state, and major forces within the music industry.  Without a doubt, these bands from Louisville changed the course of Bluegrass music forever.

A key component of the Bluegrass scene in the halcyon days of the 1970s was an old Victorian mansion in Cherokee Park near downtown Louisville.  The infamous BLUEGRASS HOTEL, whose proprietor Harry Bickel and Harry Sparks - luthier of renown - made life more stable for its residents and super pickers that included Sam Bush, Dan Crary (The Bluegrass Alliance co-founder), Tony Rice, Vince Gill, John Cowan, Curtis Burch, J.D. Crowe, Jerry Douglas, Ricky Skaggs and many others who were making their way though the treacherous waters of the music business.  The Bluegrass Hotel represents an important chapter in music history, with a cast of characters that made Kentucky the center of the Bluegrass universe during the 1970s.

Sam Bush and original members of the New Grass Revival and The Bluegrass Alliance have launched a major project celebrating the Newgrass era in Kentucky, titled “THE BLUEGRASS HOTEL”.  The centerpiece of the project is a KET co-produced Film broadcast nationally on PBS stations in 2009, that will be accompanied by a DVD, CD, LP record and coffee table book.  Film elements include reality-based storytelling and jam sessions filmed at the legendary Bluegrass Hotel and the funky 70s-era Rudyard Kipling club, archival performances of the bands in the 1970s, and recording sessions of new music set against the backdrop of a major benefit concert on March 20, 2009 at the Galt House Hotel in Louisville. 

Benefit Concert highlights include:
- a confirmed All Star performance featuring Sam Bush with Curtis Burch, John Cowan, J.D. Crowe, Tony Rice & Dan Crary
- special performance appearance by major Guest Stars (tba Jan. 09)
- opening sets by The Bluegrass Alliance Tribute and Buzzard Rock String Bands.

Proceeds of The Bluegrass Hotel concert benefit the American Cancer Society in Louisville.

“If it wasn’t for The Bluegrass Hotel, I don’t know how a lot of young Bluegrass musicians (like Vince Gill) could have moved to a different city to learn how to play music,” said Sam Bush. “I’m pleased to be involved in a project that is focused on the Newgrass era and to perform at this concert back in Louisville, where all the proceeds will benefit the work of the American Cancer Society..  I know that cancer is a disease that affects all of our families in one way or another, and this concert will help the Society’s efforts to beat it,” said Bush. 

The Bluegrass Hotel Concert & Festival
Friday, March 20, 2009 
Galt House Hotel 
140 N. Fourth Street
Louisville, KY  40202
Venue – Grand Ballroom & Foyer

●  Festival 5pm - 2am  (free to the public)  |  Booths & Exhibits - Music Stage - Jamming - Artist Merchandise & Autograph Booths - Concessions
●  Concert 8 - 10pm (ticketed event - doors open 7pm) 

Concert Tickets go on sale Jan. 19 @ Ticket Web - link to Ticket Web event listing

JUST ANNOUNCED:  Special Room + Free Concert Tickets packages now available at Galt House Hotel reservations @ (502) 589-5200 under "The Bluegrass Hotel" group name.

For more info contact:
Bill Millet, Producer  972.365.3303
Keith LaBelle, Galt House  502.569.4475
Lorraina Aldridge, American Cancer Society  502.533.2511

Bluegrass Hotel - home web site
www.myspace.com/thebluegrasshotel
www.myspace.com/thebluegrassalliancetribute
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 12:36:55 PM by 420Sugaree » IP address Logged

Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 12:47:58 PM »

If you are headed to Nashville, TN for some bonus Bluegrass before or after The Bluegrass Hotel Concert try checking out Music City Hostel. It's $25.00 per night, per person (bottom bunks upon request) only 4 beds per room and shared facilities. Most of you know the Hostel Hostess, your's truly, Auntie Hope.  :)

The photos on our web page are old, very old. It's been spruced up quite a bit, o.k. A LOT, since I arrived a little over a year ago.  Thumbs Up The Hostel is within walking distance (12 blocks)  from The World Famous Station Inn Bluegrass House and only one mile to the downtown area, including The Ryman Auditorium , The Country Music Hall of Fame and the infamous "NashVegas Strip" on Broadway, etc., etc. As we get closer to the show I'll try and keep you informed about any additional shows in the Nashville area!

So, if you're planning on making a weekend of it, Come and See Us. We'd be happy to host ya!

Auntie Hope  pickin :green

P.S. For those that care, I cleared this post with PBR before posting.
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
Debbiefromtucson
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 04:41:57 PM »

If you are headed to Nashville, TN for some bonus Bluegrass before or after The Bluegrass Hotel Concert try checking out Music City Hostel.  from [

I visited it!! It is  a great place!
IP address Logged

Debbie from Tucson
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 11:36:48 PM »

If you are headed to Nashville, TN for some bonus Bluegrass before or after The Bluegrass Hotel Concert try checking out Music City Hostel.  from [

I visited it!! It is  a great place!

Thank Deb!  Flower

Auntie Hope  pickin :green
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
Hot Sugar
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

Camp Run a Muck

URL icon « Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 02:06:47 PM »

Wish I could, stupid school

Now Playing icon Listening to: Sam Bush
IP address Logged

"That spells clever not cleaver."
420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 02:11:46 PM »

Thanks for you guys jumping in here. It is entirely possible that a couple of vehicles from these parts - within a few hundred miles of 4 corners - could wind up getting together by the Interstate out here, and rolling into Louisville together - perhaps sharing driving and rooms. A small, quiet debate is ensuing right now:

a) meet in western Colo, head down to Albuquerque, take I-40 into Nashville, and up to Louisville from there.

b) meet in Denver, take I-70 into St Louis, and down to Louisville from there.

c) 2 people, perhaps 3 people, sharing one vehicle (4-wheel drive) and hotel rooms, staying in town March 19, 20, 21.

d) I'm in this crowd since I'm helping the boys out at the festival.

I'm thinking Bill will soon be announcing some of the Guest Performers to be appearing. Hmmm, I'm just wondering - hey Vince! - are you gonna be showing up, or what?

Dan, Bill, Vince  - Oct. 1, 2008 - during Bluegrass Hotel filming in Nashville

Bluegrass Alliance - at the Cowboy Bar in Jackson Hole, Wyoming - late July, 1976

Lonnie Peerce, Bob Pool, John Jump, Vince Gill, Bob Briedenbach, Bill Millet

(yours truly was running the sound - yep, I was "in" on the mutiny!)

We discreetly ran Lonnie's fiddle through a phase shifter! We went bonkers! Vince Gill "stole" the coveted emcee spot from Lonnie. I cut Lonnie's mic - ha, ha - Vince took over the front-man duty. And the boys played some new arrangements, unfamiliar to Lonnie, since he never heard them before!

What can I tell you? The wheels were coming off. About a month later, the infamous demonic-head incident happened. That was over the top.

And I'm still seriously demented.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 03:36:17 PM by 420Sugaree » IP address Logged

TellurideTom
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 426

URL icon « Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 02:48:40 PM »

It's gonna be an awesome trip. Thumbs Up
I'm hoping I can make a trip down to Lexington Tennessee on the 21st to see my new great grandson. Flower
I don't think there will be enough time on the 19th or 20th. Wink

How many other festivarians are gonna make it?
IP address Logged

Happy Trails....Wave

You can check out my Domain site or follow me on Facebook
Hot Sugar
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

Camp Run a Muck

URL icon « Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 05:34:40 PM »

I'm hoping I can make a trip down to Lexington Tennessee on the 21st to see my new great grandson. Flower

Congrats Tom  Cheers

Now Playing icon Listening to: Real Time by Darrell Scott and Tim O'brien
IP address Logged

"That spells clever not cleaver."
420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 12:54:30 PM »

Bluegrass Hotel Festival update: Bill's e-mail from 2 days ago says that Vince Gill will be performing w/the boys on March 20. So we'll have Sam Bush, Curtis Burch, John Cowan, Tony Rice, Dan Crary, Vince Gill, and JD Crowe on stage together.

I sure hope we get to see John Jump and Vince Gill on stage together. These 2 guys are magical together. Besides being an excellent guitarist, singer, and front-man, John is also a talented songwriter.

Bill just released an enhanced mp3 file of the original version of "Corrina" that Bluegrass Alliance recorded with Vince in 1976.

Transferred from analog cassette tape demo.
Recorded in Lexington, KY - July 1976.

Corrina (The Promised Land)
- written by: John Jump

Line-up on the recording (unreleased by a label): 
- Vince Gill (lead vocal / electric mandolin)
- John Jump (baritone vocal / guitar)
- Bill Millet (tenor vocal / banjo)
- Bob Briedenbach (lap steel)
- Robert Pool (electric bass)
- Drummer (?)

Lazy River - quit Bluegrass Alliance in summer 1976

John Jump, Robert Pool, Vince Gill, Bill Millet, Bob Briedenbach
-- all these boys will be at the Festival on March 20 --

Oak Street Pub, Birmingham, Alabama - August 15, 1976
Soundboard mixed, tape recorded, and transferred by Monte

Corrina performed by Lazy River

my favorite John Jump original, also performed by Lazy River at Oak Street Pub
Cowboy Song performed by Lazy River

Lazy River band at Oak Street Pub:
Vince Gill - lead vocals, electric mandolin, fiddle, guitar
John Jump - lead vocals, accoustic and electric guitars
Bob Briedenbach - lead vocals, dobro, pedal steel guitar, lap steel guitar
Bill Millet, vocals - banjo, guitar
Johnny Beaser - electric bass
IP address Logged

420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 11:57:58 AM »

The Bluegrass Hotel concert general admission tickets are now on sale at www.ticketweb.com or by calling 1.866.468.7630. G/A tickets are $25 ea. + service charge.

Link to event listing on TicketWeb

Mar 20, 2009 at 8:00 PM EDT (7:00 PM DOORS)
The Bluegrass Hotel Concert featuring The Newgrass Alliance with Sam Bush , Curtis Burch , John Cowan , J.D. Crowe , Tony Rice & Dan Crary
at Galt House Hotel - Louisville, KY
$25.00

Concert filmed by PBS Television for inclusion in Fall 2009 broadcast.

The Bluegrass Hotel festival (5pm - 2am) free
- with exhibits, booths, jamming, aux. music stage

The Bluegrass Hotel concert (8-10pm) ticketed

All ages

All proceeds to benefit the American Cancer Society
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 12:37:41 PM by 420Sugaree » IP address Logged

420Sugaree
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 07:18:46 PM »

Bluegrass Hotel Festival update from Bill: The Bluegrass Hotel concert features a confirmed performance by Sam Bush, Curtis Burch, John Cowan, J.D. Crowe, Tony Rice & Dan Crary w/ Special Guest star appearances.

The concert will also feature performances by other original members of the New Grass Revival & The Bluegrass Alliance, including Danny Jones, Buddy Spurlock, Tony Williamson, Jack Lawrence, Al White, Harry Bickel, Steve Cooley, Glenn Lawson, Marshall Billingsley, Chuck Nation, Bob Briedenbach, Thayne Bradford, Danny Wiley, Keith & Darrell Sanson, Bill Millet, John Jump, Robert Pool, Marty Townsend, Dennis White, and others.  Opening set by the Buzzard Rock String Band featuring Harry Bickel, Harry Sparks, Doc Hamilton & George Gruhn.

The Bluegrass Hotel festival (5pm. - 2am.) is free to the public and features exhibits, retail instrument booths, jam session areas, concessions and a live music stage featuring local Louisville Bluegrass bands - including appearances by Michael Cleveland, Jeff Gurnsey, Bobby Osborne, Tony Williamson & Jack Lawrence - plus an All Star tribute to The Bluegrass Alliance featuring the original members of the band cir. 1968 - 1978.  Retail booth spaces at the Festival are available free of charge by contacting thebluegrasshotel@yahoo.com

Proceeds benefit the American Cancer Society.

Monte says,

Lazy River

John Jump, Robert Pool, Vince Gill, Bill Millet, Bob Briedenbach
-- all these boys will be at the Festival on March 20 --

I sure hope we get to see John Jump and Vince Gill perform on stage together - perhaps they can do a Lazy River set. John and Vince are magical on stage together. Okay, we know these boys quit Bluegrass Alliance, and formed the Lazy River band in summer 1976. Where the heck did that name come from, and what's up with that?

The name Lazy River came from a song by the Mills Brothers that was on the jukebox at Pasquale’s Restaurant. Pasquale’s was a wonderful little Italian restaurant on Bardstown Road where we frequently ate. Vince has often said that, had it not been for the stromboli sandwiches at Pasquale’s, he would have starved to death.

Oak Street Pub, Birmingham, Alabama - August 15, 1976
Soundboard mixed, tape recorded, and transferred by Monte

Lazy River - performed by Lazy River

Lazy River band at Oak Street Pub:
Vince Gill - lead vocals, electric mandolin, fiddle, guitar
John Jump - lead vocals, accoustic and electric guitars
Bob Briedenbach - lead vocals, dobro, pedal steel guitar, lap steel guitar
Bill Millet, vocals - banjo, guitar
Johnny Beaser - electric bass
IP address Logged

Galpalsteph

Festivation rating -1

URL icon « Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 11:44:53 AM »

Concert is 2 weeks away and still can't find any updated info on performers websites... Not a mention on Sammys, Tonys , JD Crowes, Vince Gills, Ben Sollees.... Nowhere. Wuz up? I'm coming from far west and need confirmation!!!!

Now Playing icon Listening to: South Austin Jugband
IP address Logged
TellurideTom
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 426

URL icon « Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 12:05:48 PM »

Concert is 2 weeks away and still can't find any updated info on performers websites... Not a mention on Sammys, Tonys , JD Crowes, Vince Gills, Ben Sollees.... Nowhere. Wuz up? I'm coming from far west and need confirmation!!!!

Check out http://www.thebluegrasshotel.com/
 Cheers
IP address Logged

Happy Trails....Wave

You can check out my Domain site or follow me on Facebook
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC