Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 03:49:30 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  colorado camping
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: colorado camping  (Read 4185 times)
tbraa

Festivation rating 0

URL icon « on: July 21, 2008, 08:48:44 AM »

would anyone like to recommend a cool camp ground in central to southwestern co. my wife and i would like to camp somewhere after RG.  someplace i can drive my mini van to and has facilities. we're going to end up in durango at the end of the week.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 10:24:07 AM by tbraa » IP address Logged
Hooch
...is kind of a big deal

Festivation rating 420

Freak Of The Rainbow Pork Lover

URL icon « Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 09:06:42 AM »

There is a KOA campground just north of a town called Ouray which is on the northern boarder of the San Juan mountains.  That would be nice and a straight shot to Durango.  Also try the town of Silverton for a real mountain experience.  There are a couple camp grounds there but don't know their names offhand.  And, just north of Silverton there are plenty of old mining roads you can pull off onto and camp. 
IP address Logged

"There is nothing in the universe more exciting than a piece of bacon."

-Dan Phillips
John R
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

...you know this space is getting hot.

URL icon « Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 10:04:27 AM »

check out Great Sand Dunes National Park

A lot of camping that fits your needs.  http://www.nps.gov/grsa/planyourvisit/lodging.htm
IP address Logged

"hey man, can I get a copy?", "sure, of what?", "the whole festival"
AnythingAtAll
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 05:04:32 PM »

Wave

Don't know exactly what you mean by facilities but...

South Mineral Creek is a NFS campground 6 mi. WNW of Silverton.  Camp host, shared water, no electricity, vault toilets, 9800 ft elev, streams right by camp.  Great area, you feel out in middle of nowhere, but only 6 mi outside of town on good roads (2mi paved, 4 good dirt/gravel).  You can get hot showers (5 bucks) at RV parks in Silverton which has groceries and restaurants.

On 550 south of Silverton is Molas Lake campground.  Used to be/may be still owned by town of Silverton.  Check that out online and call ahead.

In addition to the KOA, Ouray has Amphitheater campground.  If in Ouray, check out the public hot springs- very developed, but you can find about any water temp you might want there.

Of these, my favorite is easily South Mineral, more off the beaten path and we like to hike and fish.
IP address Logged
Pages: [1] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC