Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 18, 2024, 03:18:45 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Gear Review
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Gear Review  (Read 63114 times)
Debbiefromtucson
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « on: March 25, 2007, 11:03:23 AM »

Thought I would start a new topic or gear review.. Since I'm starting to think it's going to take a miracle to get a vehicle pass, we are going to need to do some serious gear shopping...

To start, anyone have a review for the Cablela's Big Buddy heaters?  or another heater that could be used in the tents?

Also, what about a nice tent that would be good for Telluride conditions and big enough for all of us without getting claustrophobic?

Air beds or cots?

IP address Logged

Debbie from Tucson
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 07:40:57 PM »

You know Debbie,

The Airbed ~vs~ cot thing has been discussed  before, but I've had another thought on that.

I suggested before that you need as many layers under you as over you on an airbed, but...
..what if a person was to use those little tear open heat packs for skiers, and placed them UNDER the airbed. In theory, the air in the bed would stay warm and toasty for a good nights sleep.

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Hope Lin  pickin
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
Hippie
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 10:58:10 PM »

Reality Check here Thumbs Up

this whole thing is all about us living lightly on the planet folks. Little self heating heat packets are going to end up in a landfill somewhere. Those little "disposable" tidbits that make your festival experience so comfortable have got to go somewhere. Just stop it.

I am fully aware of the trash load we create. 10k + people in a box canyon for a weekend? Good grief, the trash load is amazing. Hang out until a Monday morning after the festival is over, you'll see what I mean. Be careful, think about YOUR impact before you drive on down the road.

PAY ATTENTION you guys. Buy good equipment that you can use for many seasons, bring washable sheets and sleeping bags for your bedding. Take them home and give them a WASH. Use washable utensils for cooking & eating, leave no footprint of your presence. We will be able to be guests of Telluride for many years to come.

Think about your impact, it's not my responsibilty to pick up after we leave.

I love you all.       Dr. Love

Stepping down from the soapbox now  Flower

Now Playing icon Listening to: Off the Cuff on KWMR
IP address Logged

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. - Will Rogers
Debbiefromtucson
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 12:37:07 AM »

[I suggested before that you need as many layers under you as over you on an airbed, but...
..what if a person was to use those little tear open heat packs for skiers, and placed them UNDER the airbed. In theory, the air in the bed would stay warm and toasty for a good nights sleep.

1st of all , I agree with Jerry.... BUT, I'm thinking as cold as telluride gets you would need an awful lot of those to keep 4 airbeds warm.. Also, I don;t think they would be safe to use sleeping especially with the kids ( or drunks LOL)  I think they could cause burns ... Couldnt they melt an airbed as well???
IP address Logged

Debbie from Tucson
Debbiefromtucson
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 12:38:54 AM »

[The Airbed ~vs~ cot thing... I wasnt paying attention at the  time- what's the concensus????  Which is warmer?????
IP address Logged

Debbie from Tucson
Ron N Deb
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 12:45:45 AM »

Here here ...Hippie
My pet pev are Cig butts ...Guys pack a plastic baggie and pinch the cherry off and put the butt in your baggie

I spend at least a half hour every day picking up butts oh did i meantion Im a SMOKER

Common Kids a lttle love for our Mother earth

ok off my Soapbox  Festivarian
IP address Logged

Peace N Love
Ron N Deb
itsRick
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 12:50:26 AM »

done both, the cot is the way to go. the ground will suck the body heat out of you much faster than the air. if you sleep on a cot, you can stash all your clothes and such underneath, avoiding the heat robbing airflow. air beds always go flat. I'm not sure if they leak, the change in temp. makes for a pressure variation, or the festival gremlins let air out at night, but they do lose pressure and you end up with at least part of you in contact with the ground.

Now Playing icon Listening to: bubbles in the hot tub
IP address Logged

Gee WIZ Mr. Kesey, this sure is some swell Kool Aid!
Ron N Deb
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 12:50:52 AM »

Deb and I have a queen size elevated bed stand along with a queen size air mattress ...we  cover the air bag with a -30 sleeping bag with another -30 bag zipped together , then pile on a cppl of heavy blankets and of course you have to sleep nude ...body heat rocks!

Cheers
IP address Logged

Peace N Love
Ron N Deb
Ron N Deb
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 12:53:47 AM »

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Hot Tub !
IP address Logged

Peace N Love
Ron N Deb
Debbiefromtucson
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 01:48:00 AM »

I think Gerry is working on that....... solar powered too!
IP address Logged

Debbie from Tucson
Debbiefromtucson
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 01:49:40 AM »

[Deb and I have a queen size elevated bed stand along with a queen size air mattress ...we  cover the air bag with a -30 sleeping bag with another -30 bag zipped together , then pile on a cppl of heavy blankets and of course you have to sleep nude ...body heat rocks!

Thanks Ron- That sounds like the best of both worlds.....
IP address Logged

Debbie from Tucson
mrafoltz
Small Member

Festivation rating 21

the world needs more hartford!!!

URL icon « Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 08:48:47 AM »

Tent reviews

lots of gear reviews

outdoor heater products and reviews

hope this helped out a little!  Cheers

-aaron

Now Playing icon Listening to: the rolling stones - beggars banquet
IP address Logged

~beer is food~
LuAnna
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 08:55:45 AM »

Two things that you have to consider: ow much space you have to haul the stuff you want to bring and the fact that air gets cold. I switched from air to a cot a couple of years ago.  I invested a good quality cot and a 3 inch thick foam pad on top of it. I like it because it is much warmer and because it is a nice height for sitting on and I can use the space  under it for more storage. While some air mattresses are now very tall, they also are full of more air that gets cold.  If you are going to sleep on air, just remember to have layers under you... between you and the air.

(and.. FWIW, bigger tents are colder, too but I got tired of not being able to stand up to get dressed in my little one)

Now Playing icon Listening to: first graders learning to read
IP address Logged
Daniela
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 140

"Dainty Flower"

URL icon « Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 09:00:28 AM »

Thought I would start a new topic or gear review.. Since I'm starting to think it's going to take a miracle to get a vehicle pass, we are going to need to do some serious gear shopping...

To start, anyone have a review for the Cablela's Big Buddy heaters?  or another heater that could be used in the tents?

Also, what about a nice tent that would be good for Telluride conditions and big enough for all of us without getting claustrophobic?

Air beds or cots?

After doing much research online, Hooch bought one of those Coleman ProCat PerfectTemp Portable Indoor Safe Room/Tent Heaters.  It's about $80.00, but puts off enough heat to keep the entire tent warm all night.   Definitely a must-have for those cold nights.  I would go with a cot any day before an air mattress.  It keeps you off the ground, away from the cold, and like someone else mentioned, you can put clothes under it to stay even farther from the ground.  An air mattress will put cold air directly into your body from underneath.  Plus every time your partner moves, you bounce all over the place.   I do a lot of cold-weather camping, so these are tried and true observations.  Oh, and a Nalgene of boiling water helps, too.  But if you have a tent heater, you should be toasty no matter what kind of tent or sleeping bag you have!  They are very safe as long as you follow the directions!   As far as tents go, it depends on how much you would like to spend.  They have roomy, decent tents at Walmart that will fit four people or so.   Whichever tent you decide on, make sure it has a "fly" on it.  This is a waterproof cover that keeps out rain, cold and wind.  I'd say it keeps the tent at least 30-40% warmer.   Hope this helps!
IP address Logged

Can we leave RIGHT NOW??
SteamboatPaul
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 10

Woof!

URL icon « Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 09:37:55 AM »

Ha, That's what tarps are for!!! It is time that you start studying for your tarpology degree.

Now Playing icon Listening to: HVAC...must turn on radio
IP address Logged

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."   
    Ben Franklin, 1759
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC