Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 05:46:49 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Really? Talk about anything & everything? Why Women Should Vote
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Really? Talk about anything & everything? Why Women Should Vote  (Read 12171 times)
Courtney
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

Festivarians Frolic Frequently

URL icon « on: May 26, 2008, 09:55:23 AM »

Why  women should vote (by anonymous)

This is the story of our Grandmothers, and  Great-grandmothers, as they lived only 90 years ago.  It was not until  1920 that women were granted the right to go to the poles and vote. The women  were innocent and defenseless.  And by the end of the night, they were  barely alive.  Forty prison guards wielding clubs and their warden's  blessing went on a rampage against the 33 women wrongly convicted of  "obstructing sidewalk traffic."   

They beat  Lucy Burn, chained her hands to the cell bars above her head and left her  hanging for the night, bleeding and gasping for air.  They hurled Dora  Lewis into a dark cell, smashed her head against an iron bed and knocked her  out cold.  Her cellmate, Alice Cosu, thought Lewis was dead and suffered  a heart attack. Additional affidavits describe the guards grabbing, dragging,  beating, choking, slamming, pinching, twisting and kicking the  women.

Thus unfolded the "Night of Terror" on Nov.  15, 1917, when  the warden at the Occoquan Workhouse in Virginia ordered his guards to teach a  lesson to the suffragists imprisoned there because they dared to picket Woodrow  Wilson's White House for  the right to vote.

For weeks, the women's only water came from an open  pail.  Their food--all of it colorless slop--was infested with worms.   When one of the leaders, Alice Paul, embarked on a hunger strike, they  tied her to a chair, forced a tube down her throat and poured liquid into her  until she vomited.  She was tortured like this for weeks until word was  smuggled out to the press.     

So, refresh  my memory.  Some women won't vote this year because--why, exactly?   We have carpool duties?  We have to get to work?  Our vote  doesn't matter?  It's raining?

Last week, I went to a sparsely  attended screening of HBO's new movie "Iron Jawed Angels." It is a graphic  depiction of the battle these women waged so that I could pull the curtain at  the polling booth and have my say.  I am ashamed to say I needed the  reminder.

All these years later, voter registration is still my  passion.  But the actual act of voting had become less personal for me,  more rote.  Frankly, voting often felt more like an obligation than a  privilege.  Sometimes it was inconvenient.

My friend Wendy, who is  my age and studied women's history, saw the HBO movie, too.   When she stopped by my desk to talk about it, she looked angry.   She was--with herself.  "One thought kept coming back to me as I  watched that movie," she said.  "What would those women think of the way  I use--or don't use--my right to vote?  All of us take it for granted  now, not just younger women, but those of us who did seek to learn." The right  to vote, she said, had become valuable to her "all over again."

HBO released  the movie on video and DVD.  I wish all history; social studies and  government teachers would include the movie in their curriculum.  I want  it shown on Bunco night, too, and anywhere else women gather.  I realize  this isn't our usual idea of socializing, but we are not voting in the numbers  that we should be, and I think a little shock therapy is in order.

It  is jarring to watch Woodrow Wilson  and his cronies try to persuade a psychiatrist to declare Alice Paul insane so  that she could be permanently institutionalized.  And it is inspiring to  watch the doctor refuse.  Alice Paul was strong, he said, and brave.   That didn't make her crazy.

The doctor admonished the men:   "Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity."     

Please, if you are so inclined, pass this on to all  the women you know.

We need to get out and vote and use this right that  was fought so hard for by these very courageous women.  Whether you  vote democratic, republican or independent party - remember to  vote.

History is being made.

IP address Logged

Did I remember to tell you how much I love you guys?
MandoGeek
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 05:51:56 PM »

Ms Courtness,
What a great message. It is easy to forget about the suffering of so many for our rights. Thank you for reminding me of my right to vote and the wonderful powerful women of the past, who have made this country a place where we can be strong, powerful, outspoken women and not locked away for it.
Amen sister. Thumbs Up
IP address Logged
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

3 chord's and a story that's me

URL icon « Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 07:53:53 PM »

Ms Courtness,
What a great message. It is easy to forget about the suffering of so many for our rights. Thank you for reminding me of my right to vote and the wonderful powerful women of the past, who have made this country a place where we can be strong, powerful, outspoken women and not locked away for it.
Amen sister. Thumbs Up
Voting is a privilege of which I will never take for granted,,, however I'm not sure it really counts fer much these days. The whole Jeb in Fl. scene , just have to wonder what really went down. Flower
IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
JenCC
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 101

URL icon « Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 01:07:40 PM »

I saw this movie last week - and  I am proud to vote every time thanks to these women.

IP address Logged
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 03:26:50 PM »

Ms Courtness,
Amen sister. Thumbs Up
Voting is a privilege of which I will never take for granted,,, however I'm not sure it really counts fer much these days. The whole Jeb in Fl. scene , just have to wonder what really went down. Flower

I lived that and I'm still wondering what really went down!

Auntie Hope  pickin :green
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
tahoe gypsy
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

Bacon is the root of all Evil

URL icon « Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 04:31:57 PM »

I take advantage of every chance I get to further what I believe in by voting,
I alway try to encourage People to smile and live as best as they can to have a positive effect on this community, culture and country. And as Ani Defranco's bumper stickers say "Vote Damnit"
 I try to honor the women who came before me and
utilize my opportunities... ones they wished, hoped and maybe never dreamed of...
IP address Logged
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 08:37:59 PM »

I take advantage of every chance I get to further what I believe in by voting,
I alway try to encourage People to smile and live as best as they can to have a positive effect on this community, culture and country. And as Ani Defranco's bumper stickers say "Vote Damnit"
 I try to honor the women who came before me and
utilize my opportunities... ones they wished, hoped and maybe never dreamed of...

What Christie Said! (d**m that was good, Christie!)

Auntie Hope  pickin :green
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
Punchy
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

FESTIVAAAAAAL!!!!!

URL icon « Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 10:58:43 AM »

Courtney, your post is awe inspiring...I was aware of the battle they faced but not the suffering that they went through.  Everyone, not just women, needs to see the movie!! (I am watching it this weekend with my kids)

...however I'm not sure it really counts fer much these days. The whole Jeb in Fl. scene , just have to wonder what really went down. Flower

Landshark, Flower It is exactly that attitude that I believe would greatly upset those women.  Imagine fighting so hard for something you truly believe in only to have future generations say that it doesn't really make a difference!!!  Yes, the system is flawed, but, there are many nations where no one has the chance to vote and even more nations where the women don't have that privilege.  Fortunately, for us, we have the right and responsibility to vote, which in turn gives us a voice in who leads this country, I know that may seem like an idealistic view, but, it does make a difference.  When you look at the 2000 election it is very evident that your one vote does make a difference, even though the outcome was not what many wanted.

To quote one of Obama's TV ads "...One Voice can change a room and if it can change a room it can change a city and if it can change a city it can change a state and if it can change a state it can change a nation and if it can change a nation it can change the world..."

Alright, I'll get off my soapbox Cheers
IP address Logged

"I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”

They are my friends because ... I forget ... they're just my friends.
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 11:55:42 AM »

If your going to quote me on that subject, do it correctly. I vote,,,, I always have and as I stated "it is a privilage". Read the entire reply.

And YES THE SYSTEM IS REALLY FLAWED!
 LOL
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 12:27:03 PM by landshark » IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
Punchy
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

FESTIVAAAAAAL!!!!!

URL icon « Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 12:36:21 PM »

If your going to quote me on that subject, do it correctly. I vote,,,, I always have and as I stated "it is a privilage". Read the entire reply.

Just out of curiosity,,,,,Republican? LOL

Uhm...I offered you a Flower before I stated my point, I was not trying to offend you.  I took a part of your quote and commented on just that portion, never once did I accuse you of not voting, though I can see where it seems like I did.  To state my point in simple terms, quite a few people don't vote because they feel their vote has no impact, yet every vote counts.

And do you honestly think a Republican would actually quote Barack or even admit that the system is flawed?
IP address Logged

"I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”

They are my friends because ... I forget ... they're just my friends.
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 12:48:52 PM »

Just out of curiosity,,,,,Republican? LOL

Uhm...I offered you a Flower before I stated my point, I was not trying to offend you.  I took a part of your quote and commented on just that portion, never once did I accuse you of not voting, though I can see where it seems like I did.  To state my point in simple terms, quite a few people don't vote because they feel their vote has no impact, yet every vote counts.

And do you honestly think a Republican would actually quote Barack or even admit that the system is flawed?
I did edit my reply to take that last bit out, cause yer right,,, But way in the back of my brain I am STILL BUGGED about the last election.... and really wondering,, who is counting.
Punchy,,,,,,, Teach your children to question authority....and to vote Medal
IP address Logged

ilovethelorax
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 03:49:48 PM »

Not to stir the pot here but I think we can and should question what the hell is happening with our elections process. That's a LONG way away from saying every vote doesn't count or that we shouldn't wholly participate, in fact quite the opposite. I think it's our duty to know as Americans that every vote is being counted and that those who want to vote are not turned away at the polls because of inflated felon lists and the like. What happened in Florida was a mess no matter who you supported. I personally am of the opinion that the women who struggled so hard and led the fight for the right to vote would be the first on the lines to protect the integrity of that very vote. Just saying, I for one believe in accountability in our election process.

kym, who doesn't believe truth is partisan.
IP address Logged

I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music. It seems to infuse strength into my limbs and ideas into my brain. Life seems to go on without effort, when I am filled with music.

George Eliot (1819-1880)
amandalynne
Small Member

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 08:17:19 PM »

Hi guys and gals,

Oh wow, we get to talk politics on forum now? I used to get totally beaten up on the old festivarian forum for talking politics. What a treat! Cheers

I just want to say that I believe everyone should vote and everyone should vote their conscience. Although white men had the vote first, they didn't (and still don't in many places) always have it. And also that I learned something huge that one scary night in November, 2000- that our system is very, very corrupt- and that the voice of the people isn't entirely what counts. But here's the thing- as a social scientist, I know that there is huge bias in everything, and the best way to deal with bias is to look at trends and averages. So if there is a trend toward voting for one particular candidate this fall- if on average, people vote for the best candidate, then that will show in the polls. It's when things are very close, like in both 2000 and 2004, that the results can show the bias of those trying to swing things their way. If we all get out there and vote, then it will be too overwhelming, even for their slimy tactics. So get the heck out there, people! Overwhelm them!  Wink

kiss
Amanda

Now Playing icon Listening to: the sweet sounds of the end of the day
IP address Logged

"This land is your land and this land is my land, sure, but the world is run by those that never listen to music anyway" -Bob Dylan
Hippie
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 10:30:56 PM »

Cheers Cheers Cheers
for
Amanda
-------------------------------------------------------------
Tuesday June 3rd is an election day in California...

Get Out and VOTE

Thumbs Up
IP address Logged

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. - Will Rogers
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 06:51:45 AM »

Cheers Cheers Cheers
for
Amanda
-------------------------------------------------------------
Tuesday June 3rd is an election day in California...

Get Out and VOTE

Thumbs Up

EXCELLENT!:cheers Cheers Cheers!!
IP address Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC