Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2024, 10:26:37 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Telluride Bluegrass Festival (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  the fence
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: the fence  (Read 50227 times)
Courtney
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

Festivarians Frolic Frequently

URL icon « Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 08:21:13 AM »

I have to clarify, I didn't intend for Jerry to cook for everyone, just as he always has been, generous within reason.  My thoughts were not to complain, as much as to kindle the fires for a better solution.  The fence just appeared last year so it's not a huge tradition.  I also see and appreciate the preservation of the very cool wood fence.  I guess the stubborn part of me says if there is a will, there is a way.  This should be our biggest controversy  EEK!,

Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower
 toejob kiss budumdum-joke dancing :hug :dog Sunshine Clap :hop Drunk Driving Flyer Cheers
Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower
IP address Logged

Did I remember to tell you how much I love you guys?
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #16 on: March 22, 2008, 08:28:33 AM »

Miki, we're talkin' about another fence.....

JohnR, there were MANY suggestions about trimming the fence last year to a shorter height within Camp Run-A-Muck, Hippo Campus, Town Hall and all other visiting camps. A three foot or even a four foot fence would be plenty high to arrive at the desired goal of protecting the split-rail fence. If I understand correctly 2007 was the first year of the obstructed view from the hill. We only aim to be able to sit in the picking tent and look out over the festival field.

Just so everyone understands, we have several campers/visitors with health issues that can not always make it down to the festival field, or stay on the festival field during the crowded evening performances. We would just like those folks to be able to see the shows without having to look through a six foot chain link fence. We are in full agreement that the Town Park split-rail fence should have protection from the masses, and that can be done with a lower fence.

Auntie Hope  pickin
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 08:35:15 AM by Hope Lin » IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
TellurideTom
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 426

URL icon « Reply #17 on: March 22, 2008, 09:19:12 AM »

Just to clarify for those of you that have not attended very many years in Town Park; the fence has always been there, it was just on the other side of the wooden fence (after it was put up) until 2007.
I don't want to raise a ruckus on this issue and have it bite us in the butt later. Flower

At least it's chain link fence that we can see through. Thumbs Up
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 09:35:11 AM by TellurideTom » IP address Logged

Happy Trails....Wave

You can check out my Domain site or follow me on Facebook
John R
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

...you know this space is getting hot.

URL icon « Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 09:32:13 AM »

thanks tom, i should have made that indication in my post.  the fence was at/near the bottom of the incline, so it's visual impact was nill, to those at higher(intended) elevation.  something must have happened to have Q direct that the metal fence protect the wood fence. 

I know (some) of the disabled festivarians referenced, and understand their challenges, one of them being a non-elevated, over-run with fully functional people, viewing area.

hope, with amazing amount of talent in the combined mentioned camps, i'm fully expecting to see an elevated viewing platform this year to counteract the diminished view.  in all seriousness, i will add whatever labor is needed to achieve same(as long as it doesn't take me away from my planet job.  meaning late afternoon construction)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 09:38:42 AM by John R » IP address Logged

"hey man, can I get a copy?", "sure, of what?", "the whole festival"
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 07:48:14 PM »

Are Tree Houses allowed in Town Park???  LOL

Thanks to everyone for the input!  Flower

To Planet Bluegrass and Mr. Q.:
If at all possible, could we please have a lower fence line that would also help us protect the split-rail fence.

Thank You!  Wave

Auntie Hope  pickin
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
Courtney
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #20 on: March 23, 2008, 12:51:37 AM »

Look what I found.  (see image of Jerry and Carlos deciding where to set up camp)

I know I don't have the seniority of the established TP'ers, but having only attended three, I remember how beautiful it was to be able to be up around Run A Muck, get a break from the crowds (slightly crowdphobic - don't know when that happened to me) and see the stage.  It was a shock to see the taller fence put up higher. 

Don't you think a lower fence would be less hazardous and an easier construction than a raised platform around all that home brew?  (Especially if we are talking wheel chair accessible)

I want to make it clear that low fence or high  LOL Pipe, I will be having a great time with a couple hundred of my closest friends.
IP address Logged

Hooch
...is kind of a big deal

Festivation rating 420

Freak Of The Rainbow Pork Lover

URL icon « Reply #21 on: March 23, 2008, 10:11:46 AM »

From the direction he is pointing, it looks like Jerry was wanting to set up next to the porta-pots. 

I think the idea of a shorter fence to make Auntie Hope happy is a great idea!  I'm guessing that they rent the fencing for the festival so am hoping the rental place has shorter stuff to choose from.  Maybe with barbed wire to help keep us at bay?

Now Playing icon Listening to: Track 14 - Bluegrass Junction. XM Radio.
IP address Logged

"There is nothing in the universe more exciting than a piece of bacon."

-Dan Phillips
Maineahhh
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

Bluegrass makes me happy.

URL icon « Reply #22 on: March 23, 2008, 11:37:22 AM »

great ideas Hope and Courtney. I also REALLY like Jerry's idea about fixing the fence . . . how fun would that be!?
IP address Logged

"A lot of the artists collaborate with one another on stage throughout the festival, leaving fans and musicians alike in awe. A bunch of us are old friends, and when we get here we want to band together... Anything goes here, people are ready for any kind of music." Sammy B on TBF
Cody
Wondering when Small Member status will be achieved.

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #23 on: March 23, 2008, 11:46:37 AM »

I say we incorporate a few of the ideas, ummm say we do the fence building/repair as Hippy stated and as we work we can have the wristband shock collars shock us* if we dont work fast enough. And of cource keep the fence to direct the flow of trafic LOL  So i think that about covers it  Cheers
     *Shocking of festival fence builders will be under the strict supervision of the Town Park management  Mad Frown EEK!
IP address Logged
Maineahhh
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

Bluegrass makes me happy.

URL icon « Reply #24 on: March 23, 2008, 11:51:07 AM »

Rollin
IP address Logged

"A lot of the artists collaborate with one another on stage throughout the festival, leaving fans and musicians alike in awe. A bunch of us are old friends, and when we get here we want to band together... Anything goes here, people are ready for any kind of music." Sammy B on TBF
Courtney
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #25 on: March 23, 2008, 12:57:52 PM »

Cody, I think you're onto something; help me out

Festivarian Fence Fixers fly frequently fussing to fix the fence

Now Playing icon Listening to: Every day I have the blues - Track unknown, artist unknown, but ohhh baby it sounds good
IP address Logged

Kaptain Karlos
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

2008 TBF Flamingo Slayer

URL icon « Reply #26 on: March 26, 2008, 03:57:14 PM »

I'm with Hope on this one, a shorter chain link would be much less oppressive.  Even if you needed to put a taller one along the road at that stretch.  Quality counts.  You could even put one of those roll up pickets on the camping side of the wooden fence if it's cheaper.  That tall fence is just wrong - and an uncreative solution that is anything but the festivarian spirit we work  huh so hard to keep strong all year round  Flower.   I can't believe that is the only solution.  How much would a second shorter chain link fence cost the festival, we could have a fence drive.  The festival pays for the taller fence on the street, and lets us know how much the shorter fence is to preserve the wood fence. 

Or the Planet could just pay for the shorter fence and the staff could come by and enjoy the amazing cuisine at Run a muck, the over the top picking circles generated by the festi-love of the music, the unending support we all love to show them, and what the heck, we could throw in free toe jobs. 

The planet staff might not be making this decision, but I'm betting they have more direct contact with the park staff that is making the decision.  They could try to sway them with some of their festivarian influence and pixie dust.

Imagine if someone in Lyons could decide to throw up a chain link fence along the river to preserve the river.  Wouldn't you think there would be a better solution?  It's not like we are on that side of the fence and not purchasing festival tickets, it's just a different vantage point.  And it's not like people with TP tickets aren't completely welcome just about anywhere you go.  I'm convinced, anyone else?

YES! THANKS FOR THE BACK UP YOUR COURTNESS!!!

Auntie Hope  pickin

Yep... I'm in agreement too.  The chain-link fence along the third baseline of the Town Park campground is nothing more than a slap in the face from Q to Planet Bluegrass and the Town Park campers.  I've seen a few tarps or tents tied to the wooden fence in years past without harm, and people like myself like to sit on the plit-rail and take in the performances from camp from time to time.  Q's reason for the extra high chain-link fence is lame.  He said he's protecting the old wood fence.  The thing is rotting and falling apart in places.  The fence should just be replaced.  I'd even donate some money towards that end if Q would agree not to put up the chain-link.  I think he's spiteful and just on a power-trip.  There's no real need to "direct traffic" in this portion of the Town Park campground boundry as John R states, because Planet Bluegrass staff or volunteers are stationed in places where foot traffic direction is needed.  Let's get rid of the chain-link fence!

Karlos  Swearing

IP address Logged
John R
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

...you know this space is getting hot.

URL icon « Reply #27 on: March 26, 2008, 11:14:38 PM »

the trimming idea caught my eye.  if someone was to bring a pair of clippers, a "viewing window" could be built into the fence, and the frame would still be where it was placed.  as i mentioned before, when i go to run-a-muck, i'm there to visit it's citizens, my rig is still 'watching' the show though.  Microphone

i'll get some pics when i'm out there for mountainfilm.
IP address Logged

"hey man, can I get a copy?", "sure, of what?", "the whole festival"
TellurideTom
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 426

URL icon « Reply #28 on: March 27, 2008, 10:49:34 AM »

the trimming idea caught my eye.  if someone was to bring a pair of clippers, a "viewing window" could be built into the fence, and the frame would still be where it was placed.  as i mentioned before, when i go to run-a-muck, i'm there to visit it's citizens, my rig is still 'watching' the show though.  Microphone

Now, now! We don't want to destroy Planet Bluegrass property. 
IP address Logged

Happy Trails....Wave

You can check out my Domain site or follow me on Facebook
Kaptain Karlos
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

2008 TBF Flamingo Slayer

URL icon « Reply #29 on: March 27, 2008, 12:55:08 PM »

John R - I like the way you think  Thumbs Up ... but ...

After a couple days of feeling like we were behind bars, we considered un-wire-ing the sections in front of the Town Hall shade tents (a couple of 10'x20's where anyone with TP access can come and hang-out) and just laying them on the ground in front of the wooden fence, but then we thought about the trouble we might cause and the reputation we'd gain by doing such an act.  I don't think any of us want to jepordize the favor Town Park is doing for Planet Bluegrass by allowing festival camping in the park.  From what I've heard, the only festival goers permitted to camp in Town Park each summer are us Bluegrass festivarians.  In the end, we left the chain-link alone.  A viewing platform would be an excellent solution... but I've sworn off towing the trailer this summer... some other nut would have to tow in the supplies.

Karlos  Cheers
IP address Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC