Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 04:04:30 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Post your best Thanksgiving recipe.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Post your best Thanksgiving recipe.  (Read 23866 times)
Maineahhh
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

Bluegrass makes me happy.

URL icon « Reply #30 on: December 04, 2007, 10:47:05 AM »

ha!  LOL
IP address Logged

"A lot of the artists collaborate with one another on stage throughout the festival, leaving fans and musicians alike in awe. A bunch of us are old friends, and when we get here we want to band together... Anything goes here, people are ready for any kind of music." Sammy B on TBF
ilovethelorax
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #31 on: December 05, 2007, 01:32:03 AM »

And since you've brought Marthy up at the very moment I'm lifting my head for a hi-de-ho before the craziness of life takes back over, I'll share the fail proof turkey recipe I've done for four years running now because it's so damn good and the fact there's a whole damn bottle of wine involved how can you go wrong? The recipe is for a big ass bird so adjust if you're cooking smaller - we love leftovers.

1 bottle of dry white wine
1 1/2 cups butter (mmmhmm-that really is correct)
20-22 lb. bird turkey
stuff like onions, lemon, seasonings to throw inside the turkey unless you stuff with well, stuffing

Start with turkey at room temperature if you can manage to get yourself out of bed that early.

With oven at 450°, combine melted butter and white wine in a bowl. Fold a large piece of cheesecloth into quarters and cut it into a 17-inch, four-layer square. Immerse cheesecloth in the butter and wine; let soak.

Put the things you like inside the turkey and when it is nestled inside the roasting pan, squeeze the cheesecloth out slightly, leaving it very damp and spread it evenly over the bird. Throw it in the oven and cook for 30 minutes. Baste right over the cheesecloth using the remaining butter and wine (keep using as you go until you have enough yummy material to use in the bottom of the pan). After this first half hour, turn the oven down to 350°, and cook for another 2 1/2 more hours or so, basting every 30 minutes.

After the third hour of cooking, carefully remove and discard cheesecloth. The baster is your friend if it feels stuck; just go slow and use the pan juices to loosen so as not to tear the skin. The skin gets fragile as it browns, so baste carefully. Cook another hour, basting again after 30 minutes.

After another hour be sure to check a thermometer. Mine has never gone longer and I cook a mighty big bird.
Mange!

Now Playing icon Listening to: bob...let me die in my footsteps
IP address Logged

I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music. It seems to infuse strength into my limbs and ideas into my brain. Life seems to go on without effort, when I am filled with music.

George Eliot (1819-1880)
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC