Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 07, 2024, 06:39:57 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Music Nerds Unite!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Music Nerds Unite!  (Read 37271 times)
SteamboatPaul
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 10

Woof!

URL icon « Reply #30 on: April 16, 2007, 01:12:10 PM »

Save Internet Radio!!!

Click above and fill out this new and improved petition. This one is created by a new coalition called Save Net Radio

Save internet radio!!!!!!

Now Playing icon Listening to: Nick Lowe on Radio Paradise
IP address Logged

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."   
    Ben Franklin, 1759
heaubeau
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #31 on: April 16, 2007, 09:22:10 PM »

I emailed one of my senators, Tom Coburn, about this several weeks ago.  Today I received this response.

Dear Mr. Winfrey,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Copyright Royalty Board's (CRB) recently announced new statutory royalty rates. I appreciate your input on this issue.

As you know, on March 9, the CRB issued a decision that establishes a statutorily mandated standard for royalty rates for commercial and non-commercial Webcasters. The new rates represent an extension of the "willing buyer/willing seller" standard. The new rate requires both commercial and non-commercial Webcasters to pay an annual $500 non-refundable fee.

The new rate, however, does not include a special exception for small Webcasters. The CRB considered a small Webcasters proposal where the fee structure would be based on total revenues. The CRB rejected the proposals because:

"mall commercial webcasters focus on the amount of the fee, rather than how it should be structured, is further underlined by the absence of evidence submitted by this group to identify a basis for applying a pure revenue-based structure to them. While, at times, they suggest that their situation as small commercial webcasters requires this type of structure, there is no evidence in the record about how the Copyright Royalty Judges would delineate between small webcasters and large webcasters."

The CRB ruled they lack the statutory authority to carve out royalty rate exceptions for the emergent business models promoted by small commercial Webcasters. To that end, I suspect a legislative bill will be introduced in the Senate that would provide the CRB with the requisite statutory authority to carve out an exception for small Webcasters. Should a bill come before the Senate, I certainly will keep your views in mind.

Again, thank you for writing me. Should you have any additional concerns, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Tom Coburn

United States Senator

TC: swm

Now Playing icon Listening to: Carry Me Ohio - Sun Kil Moon
IP address Logged

pronounced hobo
TellurideTom
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 426

URL icon « Reply #32 on: April 17, 2007, 04:47:35 PM »

I also got a response from my Senator:

Dear Thomas:

Thank you for contacting me regarding internet radio and royalty rates. I appreciate hearing from you.

The Copyright Royalty Board (CRB) recently announced new statutory royalty rates for certain digital transmissions of sound recordings for the period January 1, 2006, through December 31, 2010. Implementation of these new rates marks the expiration of a previous royalty rate agreement specifically designed to benefit "small" webcasters.

I understand the issue of whether the economic needs of small commercial webcasters should be factored into statutory royalty rates is extremely important to many of my constituents who listen to internet radio. While legislation pertaining to this matter generally falls to the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation, of which I am not a member, please rest assured I will keep your thoughts on this matter in mind should it be considered by the full Senate.

Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Ken Salazar
United States Senator
IP address Logged

Happy Trails....Wave

You can check out my Domain site or follow me on Facebook
Mark in Alabama
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

Got DukTape?

URL icon « Reply #33 on: April 23, 2007, 11:18:02 AM »

done Thumbs Up
IP address Logged

May All Of Your Days Be Festival Days
Hippie
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #34 on: April 23, 2007, 11:38:36 AM »

here is a link to the senate committie on trade and commerce:

http://commerce.senate.gov/public/

here are the members of the committee:

Democrats

Chairman Daniel K. Inouye (HI)
John D. Rockefeller, IV (WV)
John F. Kerry (MA)
Byron L. Dorgan (ND)
Barbara Boxer (CA)
Bill Nelson (FL)
Maria Cantwell (WA)
Frank R. Lautenberg (NJ)
Mark Pryor (AR)
Thomas Carper (DE)
Claire McCaskill (MO)
Amy Klobuchar (MN)

Republicans
Vice Chairman Ted Stevens (AK)
John McCain (AZ)
Trent Lott (MS)
Kay Bailey Hutchison (TX)
Olympia J. Snowe (ME)
Gordon H. Smith (OR)
John Ensign (NV)
John E. Sununu (NH)
Jim DeMint (SC)
David Vitter (LA)
John Thune (SD)

a direct link to the page that is linked to each senators web site:

http://commerce.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=About.Members

I'm working on this after the pledge drive ends this Friday.

Now Playing icon Listening to: Moody Bluegrass - Thanks Tom
IP address Logged

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. - Will Rogers
Hippie
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #35 on: April 27, 2007, 10:06:52 PM »

here is some good news from the internet radio front:

Clap

http://www.kurthanson.com/archive/news/042607b/index.shtml

Cheers

Now Playing icon Listening to: Giants Baseball on KNBR
IP address Logged

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. - Will Rogers
Hippie
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #36 on: May 09, 2007, 09:42:54 AM »

Action Alert

CALL YOUR CONGRESSPERSON NOW TO ASK THEM TO CO-SPONSOR H.R. 2060, THE INTERNET RADIO EQUALITY ACT.

Call Now

There is a bill just introduced in Congress that will save Internet radio from the devastating royalty fee increases that will put thousands of Internet webcasters out of business.  Please call your Representative in Congress as soon as possible and urge them to co-sponsor H.R. 2060, the Internet Radio Equality Act.

Now Playing icon Listening to: KWMR community radio
IP address Logged

SteamboatPaul
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 10

Woof!

URL icon « Reply #37 on: May 15, 2007, 09:12:59 AM »

this just in:

Last Friday a Senate version of the bill was introduced by Senators Ron Wyden (D-OR) and Sam Brownback (R-KS): www.savenetradio.org/071510-wyden.pdf. This is a promising development, but we need your help again. I know we're asking a lot, but the stakes couldn't be higher and the fight is not over.   

Please call the offices of your Senators and ask them to co-sponsor the Internet Radio Equality Act, S. 1353.

Senator Ken Salazar: (202) 224-5852
Senator Wayne Allard: (202) 224-5941
(if your in colorado)   

Visit www.savenetradio.org to keep up on our fight to save Internet radio. There are some powerful testimonials there from musicians who have found their audience through Internet radio. 

Now Playing icon Listening to: Jethro Tull- Live in 1970
IP address Logged

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."   
    Ben Franklin, 1759
John R
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

...you know this space is getting hot.

URL icon « Reply #38 on: July 12, 2007, 10:17:00 AM »

Act on this today.

http://www.savenetradio.org/

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/directory/congdir.tt

Now Playing icon Listening to: NPR
IP address Logged

"hey man, can I get a copy?", "sure, of what?", "the whole festival"
Hippie
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #39 on: July 13, 2007, 01:09:46 PM »

Keep those calls and letters going to your congresspeople folks they are having an effect.

Check this out:

http://blog.wired.com/music/2007/07/breaking-news-o.html

Cheers

Now Playing icon Listening to: KPIG 1510-Out to lunch
IP address Logged

Hippie
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #40 on: July 16, 2007, 10:07:40 AM »

Looks like we've temporarily kep the wolves at bay. Thanks to all of you who took the time to contact your congresspeople. Negotiations are going to continue to help keep Internet radio alive.

We have word from the nat'l federation of community broadcasters that streaming is OK to continue for now. While negotiations continue.

That means you can tune in to the stream tonight for my show.

Thank you , Thank you, Thank you

Cheers

Now Playing icon Listening to: www.savenetradio.org
IP address Logged

Hippie
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #41 on: August 07, 2007, 02:02:43 PM »

Thanks to the NFCB for this reminder:

It is likely that the issues surrounding webcasting will get more
Congressional attention in the fall, and there is a possibility there
will be hearings on the Senate side.

With Congress in recess and your Senators and Reps at home, this is a
good time to make sure they know what a fair outcome would look like,
and why the current CRB decision will be harmful to public radio and
small webcasters.  It's also a good idea to keep the issue in front of
your listeners and to keep the pressure up for passage of the Internet
Radio Equality Act.  More information is available at
http://www.tellthempublicmatters.org/radio.html.

Cheers Cheers

Now Playing icon Listening to: george and keoki kahumoku
IP address Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC