Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 04:14:44 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  DSLR Camera Question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: DSLR Camera Question  (Read 10195 times)
funktion254

Festivation rating 69

URL icon « on: May 15, 2012, 08:41:08 AM »

Hi all,

First.. I'm really sorry if I passed over a previous post and this is redundant.  I just really want to make sure I don't have any headaches and I don't provide any headaches to anyone else!

This will be my first Telluride experience and.. HOLY CRAP I am so excited.  Ridiculously excited.

I just wanted to ask if I will be allowed to bring my Nikon D7000 w/ various lenses in and out of the festival grounds.  Not trying to be sneaky or do anything that isn't allowed, I just wanted to take some epic photos so I can share them with everyone!  Anyone have any info?  I know on the website it says no video taping, but cameras ARE allowed.  Just want to make sure I'm bringing a camera that can be used.

Thanks!  Cheers
IP address Logged
swander99
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »

Thumbs Up No worries, as long as you share them on the Forum. OK, you don't have to, but it's nice to see all the great pics ppl take in T'ride. Things tend to take quite a beating on the festivaaaaal! grounds, so use your best bags.  Cheers

Now Playing icon Listening to: JC Live @ 8,745 feet.
IP address Logged

HEEN!
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 04:10:15 PM »

Thumbs Up No worries, as long as you share them on the Forum. OK, you don't have to, but it's nice to see all the great pics ppl take in T'ride. Things tend to take quite a beating on the festivaaaaal! grounds, so use your best bags.  Cheers

Agreed. Use your best camera bag. The weather can change in seconds and you need to protect that equipment.  Thumbs Up

Auntie Hope  :festivarian2 :green
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
Pirate Looks at --
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 04:19:48 PM »

Yep I bring my camera every year and i love to stream those T-ride pictures through Apple TV while I am streaming my favorite Bluegrass tunes! Pirate
IP address Logged

"A Pirate Looks at --"
JoeBu
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 08:25:18 AM »

Exciting!  I did not know this.   Thumbs Up

I was trying to figure out a safe place to leave my DSLR during the shows...excellent!
IP address Logged

Lets get down to brass tax.. how much for the ape?
funktion254

Festivation rating 69

URL icon « Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 05:17:49 PM »

Cheers 

Really appreciate the info.  Definitely planning for whatever weather nature throws at me, but still, thanks for the heads up.

Can't wait to share all the photos with you folks!
IP address Logged
Pirate Looks at --
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 03:50:02 PM »

Like to take this to another level. I am curious as to what lenses you feel are absolutely indispensible  when using your DSLR camera? Cheers

Thanks in advance!

Any other accessories you really can't live with out?

Now Playing icon Listening to: An air conditioner that sounds like Flipper!
IP address Logged

"A Pirate Looks at --"
funktion254

Festivation rating 69

URL icon « Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 11:57:37 AM »

I'll preface this by saying I'm an avid landscape, panorama, long exposure, multi exposure, experimental photographer.  I like to try things that in theory might not be "best practices" but still give it a go to see what happens.

Having said that, I will always carry a wide angle lens with me.  Yes, it can be goofy when taking portraits/people pictures, but I personally like to make things different from the "norm".

For best practices, carry your normal simple zoom lens (non-telephoto) to give you tons of flexibility.  Then from there, find a lens you love!  For me, at the moment, its Tamron SP AF 10-24mm f / 3.5-4.5 DI II.  Everyones different, rent lenses from your local camera store before you buy to find what you like.

Various accessories: shutter release for long exposures, backup batteries fully charged, polarizing filter for bright outdoor daytime shooting, QUALITY bag w/ a waterproof shell, lens cleaner accessories, ziploc/garbage bag in case you find yourself in a monsoon (colorado is unpredictable!). And most importantly, for me at least, a quality tripod!  While spending $500 gets yourself a whole lotta awesomness, you can get great quality on a budget.. look at reviews and get something sturdy with a quality ball head mount for ease of use.  I actually also bought the high end gorillapod and its become invaluable to me.  That, on top of a monopod and a regular tripod, you have what you'll always need!

Hope this helps!
IP address Logged
colokathy
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 05:28:25 PM »

Sorry, I must have missed something.  Where can you leave your camera safely when not using it??  Thanks, Kathy
IP address Logged
Pirate Looks at --
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 05:38:58 PM »

Next to your body! Just not something I ever walk away from, too portable.
IP address Logged

"A Pirate Looks at --"
colokathy
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 05:52:36 PM »

Thanks! That's exactly what I was thinking!!   What about in the campgrounds??  any suggestions?
IP address Logged
Pirate Looks at --
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 07:19:04 PM »

Whne you are in your camp site your tent should ber ok. I would just tell you that I would take my camera with me if I leave camp for any length of time....besides you will need to be taking pictures. I am armed with a new 16GB chip for 6000 pictures so just point and shooT
IP address Logged

"A Pirate Looks at --"
colokathy
Regular Picker

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 07:55:27 PM »

Thank you SO much for taking the time to answer.  I want to take my digital SLR but am nervous.  That's why I haven't gotten any better though-Ha!
IP address Logged
funktion254

Festivation rating 69

URL icon « Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 08:18:14 PM »

In my new found experience with Telluride, I'd have to say it's just about the absolutely most perfect place to bring your camera.  From driving through the San Juan Mountain Range to how absolutely stunning the sky is at night to just how perfect the entire festival set up is.. I'd have to say now that when I go back next year, the only thing I'm doing differently is bringing more lenses!

Everyone was respectful, there was zero chance of anything being stolen, broken, spilled on, or anything.. and if that did happen, I guarantee that person would rectify their actions.

Anyways!  I have a gallery of a bunch of the pictures I took.. it will be updated soon too.  Feel free to check them out!

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjAqkuc1

Here's a sample from the amazing Punch Brothers show at Elks Park.. (the resolution is far better on my Flickr page)

IP address Logged
swander99
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 10:48:29 PM »

Wave Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Cheers
IP address Logged

HEEN!
Pages: [1] 2 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC