Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 07, 2024, 08:45:13 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Two year plan to move to Colorado
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Two year plan to move to Colorado  (Read 73555 times)
Roach
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 09:26:29 AM »

Yea...
That was the one poor thing about living in Junction, never real steady supply of national talent.
There are a few good local acts, and occasionally will get some big names, but not real steady, maybe one every few months.
Country Jam is miserable, maybe Rock Jam is better, I don't know.

But it's great for outdoors (biking, climbing, camping, hiking, rafting).

If you are looking for nightlife, it's still struggling in that department.
But the Front Range is only a 4 hour drive.
IP address Logged
BillyBeru
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

"Good evening, music lovers!"

URL icon « Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 10:59:35 AM »

Aspen doesn't do too bad for live music, and it's only a couple of hours from GJ:

http://www.bellyupaspen.com/

Yeah, BB doesn't seem like a Country Jam kid... my old roommate used to hit the Jam every year. It wasn't my thing either.

The only country jam I am interested in is the King's "New Country" jam!  Thumbs Up :hop :hop :hop
IP address Logged

"How many of you have been at the festival all four days?"
Hooch
...is kind of a big deal

Festivation rating 420

Freak Of The Rainbow Pork Lover

URL icon « Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 03:17:55 PM »

Hey Billy.  Great thread!!!  Daniela and I both live in Grand Junction.  It's great because it's big enough to have at least one of every store you need but small enough so you can be completely out of town in 10 minutes or less.  Right now we are having a boom due to the natural gas industry but there's other opportunities here as well.  And, as it as been mentioned, it's close to Moab, Telluride, Aspen and other places too numerous to mention.  I can be in any sort of terrain on earth in 2 hours or less: Alpine, desert, aspen forest, evergreen forest, on a river, in hot springs, on a sandy beach (fresh water though), rolling hills, badlands, etc etc.  And it's right on I-70, so is easy access too.

We do have a decent music scene, but it varies.  The talent coming through town has improved in the last few years, but with Telluride and Aspen being so close it's easy to hit weekend shows in either place too.  We've been to Aspen twice in the last year for concerts. 
IP address Logged

"There is nothing in the universe more exciting than a piece of bacon."

-Dan Phillips
Daniela
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 140

"Dainty Flower"

URL icon « Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 10:09:19 PM »

Billy Baby!!  Come on over!!  We'd love to have you.  Here's my take:  I have to say the music scene in GJ is lacking a bit still.  It's getting better though, and I still manage to find a lot of great live music.  The thing is I lived in Denver for ten years, and if you are used to city life with tons of choices for great food and live music, GJ will disappoint you.  I moved here for the f*cking amazing outdoor opportunities, not the social or cultural aspects.  That being said, you always have to give up something to get something.  Denver, Boulder, and the surrounding areas are fantastic for live music, food, clubs, fashion, and culture, but lacking in other areas.  The traffic and pollution are bad, and it takes a lot more time to get out of the city to get to outdoor activities.  I guess it depends on what is important to you.  I moved to GJ from Denver to get the quality of small-town life, and was tired of the crime and traffic.  GJ has everything I need in the great outdoors, and I find the music.  I just have to look a little harder than I did in Denver.  It's up to you.  Either way, look me up when you get here!!  Flower Flower
IP address Logged

Can we leave RIGHT NOW??
BillyBeru
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 08:48:53 AM »

Daniela/Brett,

Thanks for taking the time and putting forth your thoughts on GJ!  Flower

Denver is not a consideration for me - Daniela, you mentioned crime/pollution/access to outdoor stuff being challenging in Denver but is that also the case in Boulder?

I always saw Boulder as having considerably better access to outdoor activities but please educate this east coaster on the topic. Also, I was hoping that Boulder does not suffer from pollution and crime. (but hell, coming from Washington, DC, everything is an improvement)

Thanks, again - it's really difficult deciding where in heaven to live.  Wink
IP address Logged

Roach
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 09:04:10 AM »

Denver is like any city, some areas are nice, some are crime ridden.  Boulder has less crime, for sure.  I remember last summer there was a murder (some kids shot a guy who tried to stop them from stealing a car), but it was the 1st one in 4-5 years. 
I believe there is a web site where you can look up the crime rate for US cities, just can't think of it now.  I agree with what the GJ'ers are telling you as well, but I can also tell you that last time a oil boom hit the area, the town shriveled up afterwards.  Of course, at the time it was more of a retirement community.

If you are looking to buy a house, the Boulder market is ALWAYS expensive, and the GJ market is way up right now also.

I would recommend taking a trip to CO, visiting both, and even hitting a few other areas to see what fits you the best.
IP address Logged
Daniela
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 140

"Dainty Flower"

URL icon « Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 09:08:08 AM »

Daniela/Brett,

Denver is not a consideration for me - Daniela, you mentioned crime/pollution/access to outdoor stuff being challenging in Denver but is that also the case in Boulder?

I always saw Boulder as having considerably better access to outdoor activities but please educate this east coaster on the topic. Also, I was hoping that Boulder does not suffer from pollution and crime. (but hell, coming from Washington, DC, everything is an improvement)

Thanks, again - it's really difficult deciding where in heaven to live.  Wink

Mornin', Sunshine! 

Boulder is a lot closer to outdoor-type stuff, and it is a lot smaller, that's true.  I'm going to stereotype here, so if someone actually lives there, I don't mean to offend.  Boulder has a lot of money in it, and the majority of the people that live there are either trustifarians going to college, or yuppies.   It's VERY pricey to live there, and I noticed SOME of the people to be not quite as friendly as people from other areas.   It has even been dubbed "The People's Republic of Boulder", because SOME of the people that live there think they are better than everyone else and don't want to be associated with surrounding areas.  Again, I'm just giving my observations from having lived in Denver for ten years and having spent a lot of time in Boulder.  Anyway, there is still plenty of traffic and pollution to be had, and it seems like the area is growing at such a rapid pace that Denver and Boulder have pretty well combined themselves into one big city.  That having been said, I'm sure anything is going to be an improvement over Washington DC.   LOL You might just rent a place in Boulder to start, and then research other areas once you get out here.  I have always been fond of Ft. Collins, personally.  Golden is also very nice.  As long as you get out here, that's what really matters.  The rest will work itself out.   Flower
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 10:25:39 AM by Daniela » IP address Logged

Can we leave RIGHT NOW??
apollo
URL icon « Reply #22 on: July 09, 2007, 10:23:05 AM »

Daniela/Brett,

I moved to Denver last year and love it, but then I like big cities (and it's not that big compared to Chicago or the Bay Area where I lived before). Crime is low compared to other cities; I walk at night without worry. Pollution is minor IMHO. I don't plan on moving any time soon.

Boulder is $$$. I make good money and can't afford Boulder.  It is where I first looked, but the housing prices are whacked. If you going for a town that size on the Front Range think about Ft Collins. It's more laid back and cheaper the Boulder.

There are also plenty of nice small towns that are only 1 hour or so away from Denver. Of course I need to be close to a good music scene, which is why I am in Denver.

Now Playing icon Listening to: Restless Farewell - Bob Dylan
IP address Logged
Roach
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #23 on: July 09, 2007, 11:01:17 AM »

Exactly.  Check out Jambase to get an idea of the music scene in Colorado, if that's what you are interested in.

FYI.  I just signed another lease in Boulder, a 1800 sf 3 bedroom, 3 bath for just under  $1000.  That's what you'd be looking at.  And as far as friendliness, I'd have to disagree.  I've met tons of friendly folks, some of whom are even moderators of this board....
IP address Logged
jjwood64
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #24 on: July 09, 2007, 11:10:10 AM »

My .02, from living in Gunbarrel outside Boulder for over the past 2 years.  You could always live in a town nearby Boulder and pay cheaper for housing, such as Lyons, Niwot or the "suburbia" area of Louisville & Superior.

As for the crime factor, it's actually worse in Longmont than Boulder; but it's of the minor types -- i.e., vandalism, etc. -- but there are some gangs in Longmont, believe it or not.  That's also because Longmont -- sorry, for those who live there, but...-- has almost no night life.  In fact, in many ways, Longmont is the opposite of Boulder:  While most of Longmont is certainly solid enough to live there, the lack of night life, the overall conservative attitudes and the growth by mostly bringing in chains caused me to leave Longmont after my first two years of living in CO. 

Put it this way:  I can leave the Boulder Theater after a show at 1:30 pm, and feel perfectly safe hanging around downtown.  However, I'm a street-smart person who has lived in some cities or around (Boston, Syracuse, Rochester), and where crime is much higher than the beautiful state I live in now. :)

Now Playing icon Listening to: Grateful Dead - 10.26.1989, Miami Arena, Miami, FL - "Victim Or The Crime"
IP address Logged
John R
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

...you know this space is getting hot.

URL icon « Reply #25 on: July 09, 2007, 11:41:09 AM »

my take, form someone who moved to Telluride from NYC, moved to the beach, and considered moving to Denver for business.

If airport ease is a primary consideration, then somewhere close to DIA will be in the mix.  For music, the Denver/Boulder region is second to none.  Pretty much all national tours route through Denver.  And, there's Red Rocks, need I say more?  For outdoor activities, the western slope wins hands down for reasons stated above by Hooch and Daniela.  Boulder is expensive to live in, suburbs such as Westminster may make things a bit more affordable, or you could go in the other direction and live up in Nederland.  Traffic will be about the same as driving in and around the disctict.

additionally, as mentioned above, get out there to really check it out.  use your vacation to do some research and get a good look around.
IP address Logged

"hey man, can I get a copy?", "sure, of what?", "the whole festival"
jjwood64
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #26 on: July 09, 2007, 05:41:07 PM »

Daniela commented:
It has even been dubbed "The People's Republic of Boulder", because SOME of the people that live there think they are better than everyone else and don't want to be associated with surrounding areas.

I have seen little of this attitude in Boulder in my 4+ years.  Guess I don't hang
around the "ritzy" part, but as somebody who grew up in upstate NY and has
spent time in every major city in the northeast US, I've found that you'll find
those attitudes almost everywhere you go in life.  I've seen plenty as
such in New York, Washington DC, Philadelphia and Boston. 

However, I've certainly seen the attitudes from some locals in downtown
Telluride, though.
IP address Logged
linda baker
Small Member

Festivation rating 8

URL icon « Reply #27 on: July 09, 2007, 08:11:24 PM »

Hello dear friends I wish to make!:wave
Colorado is a large state, don't forget the little jewel that is southwest Colorado.
Quality of life can't be beat for those who love the desert and mountains where outdoor activities abound.
Music venues are more limited and often of lesser caliber than Denver, I'm sure.
However, this year we have seen Natalie McMaster and David Grisman @ Fort Lewis College in Durango - The Fabulous StringDusters came through town but we missed that show. Durnago BLuegrass Meltdown in April is great fun and The FOur COrners FOlkFest in Pagosa  on Labor Day wknd is a favorite event of ours. I'm am 70 miles south of Telluride, 50 miles west of durango which would likely be the biggest airport around. Silverton, Ouray, Dolores, Mancos, Durango are all on the the San Juan Loop. Some of the most beautiful country you will ever see. High concentration of 13, 000 and 14,000 foot peaks. Mesa Verde. Slow relaxed pace of life.  Good luck in your search! Wave

Now Playing icon Listening to: my ceiling fan while the forest fires burn
IP address Logged
Daniela
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 140

"Dainty Flower"

URL icon « Reply #28 on: July 11, 2007, 01:35:52 PM »

Hello dear friends I wish to make!:wave
Colorado is a large state, don't forget the little jewel that is southwest Colorado.
Quality of life can't be beat for those who love the desert and mountains where outdoor activities abound.
Music venues are more limited and often of lesser caliber than Denver, I'm sure.
However, this year we have seen Natalie McMaster and David Grisman @ Fort Lewis College in Durango - The Fabulous StringDusters came through town but we missed that show. Durnago BLuegrass Meltdown in April is great fun and The FOur COrners FOlkFest in Pagosa  on Labor Day wknd is a favorite event of ours. I'm am 70 miles south of Telluride, 50 miles west of durango which would likely be the biggest airport around. Silverton, Ouray, Dolores, Mancos, Durango are all on the the San Juan Loop. Some of the most beautiful country you will ever see. High concentration of 13, 000 and 14,000 foot peaks. Mesa Verde. Slow relaxed pace of life.  Good luck in your search! Wave

Oooooh, I do love Durango!!   Love Love
IP address Logged

Can we leave RIGHT NOW??
BillyBeru
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #29 on: July 11, 2007, 01:53:12 PM »

Ok, so now all I have to do is to find a job that allows for:

8 weeks living in Boulder
8 weeks living in Grand Junction
8 weeks living in Telluride
6 Weeks living in Durango
6 Weeks living in Aspen
16 weeks off

I'm glad that is finally settled.  Wink Please, friends, someone must know of an opportunity like this!
IP address Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC