Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 11:41:51 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  General Discussion (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Sunshade / EZ-Up opinions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Sunshade / EZ-Up opinions  (Read 13032 times)
zack_adcock
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « on: February 25, 2012, 07:34:47 PM »

Festivarians-
I did a search and couldn't find a topic devoted just to this, so if I'm mistaken please point me in the right direction!

We had a daughter in September of last year and will be taking this year off from TBF, but I was wondering if anyone has sunshade suggestions for future years? I've seen some support of the EZ-UP instead of the Kelty, but my experience with EZ-UPs has been hit and miss with regard to durability and rust, based on friends having them.

I'm a beachgoer most summers, as well, and would love something that would cover our bases for both festivation and beach lounging, as well.

Thoughts? Suggestions?  I love the way the Keltys look, but apparently they're a hassle for those sitting behind them? I'd love the more experienced insight of y'all, particularly those with kiddos.

Best,
Zack
IP address Logged
TellurideTom
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 426

URL icon « Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 09:22:13 PM »

There may not have been a thread devoted to the topic, but I'm sure they were mentioned in many threads.
Personally, I think the EZ-UP is too high priced for what you get and has issues beyond durability and rust.
A cheaper more reliable option would the the "First-up". It's not as hard to get set up, and the one thing I like about them is the vented top that lessens the chance of blowing away in the wind, something the EZ-UP does not have. Thumbs Up
IP address Logged

Happy Trails....Wave

You can check out my Domain site or follow me on Facebook
Debbiefromtucson
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 03:24:28 AM »

First-Ups are from Walmart. ABout 89.00.. WE have a had a few that have lasted through at least 3-4 TBF's ( 12 days or so)... I have used at a beach too and they have done ok.. BUT, I don't understand what you mean by rusting. I don't know how they would do if left out on a beach for several days (?) or weeks... I have used mine at the beach though and they do ok too.. THe best thing about them at the beach is that you can lower/raise as the sun changes.. Also, the Kelty's do not allow air to pass through very good.. They become almost like an oven even at Telluride- I think it would be unbearable at a beach...
IP address Logged

Debbie from Tucson
Hippie
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 11:27:31 PM »

I am a complete fan of the ez-up.  managed a farmers market stall for about 15 years; Purchased an Ez-up in year four. I set up and struck the canopy two to three times a week for almost 8 years before it needed to be replaced. Granted I purchased the commercial version of the product.

I have also purchased several consumer grade Ez Ups and find that the straight legged shelters have a much longer life span than the competition. The pyramid II is currently for sale online direct for under 200 bucks. A mighty fine investment IMHO.

I prefer the Ez-up product because:
It is truly easy to erect.
Allows air to flow through it.
Provides shelter AND visibility.
Is stable
easy to anchor
compact and portable.

:peace
IP address Logged

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. - Will Rogers
Bevin
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 04:27:19 PM »

Hippie knows his shelters, that's for sure.   Medal

My opinion is that the EZ-Up brand shelters are definitely sturdier than the imitations, but also more expensive.  The commercial version is easily several times the cost of a First Up shelter from Wally World, and can run as high as $500.  I've burned through maybe 6 First Up shelters in the last 5 years or so.  They get heavily abused at multiple festivals, suffer from poor set-up by n00bs, and are easily hammered in heavy wind - especially if they aren't staked down tight.  So while I've made several of them last a while, I seem to find myself spending $89 at Wal-Mart almost every year. 

I'll also say that the straight-leg shelters are FAR superior to the slant leg shelters that claim to be 10x10 but are actually only 10x10 at the base and have an 8x8 canopy.  Those stupid things rob you of shade, and they don't "mate" well with other shelters. 

DebbiefromTucson and myself (from Albuquerque) are completely unfamiliar with rusting.  Nothing rusts quickly in the desert, but I assume a First Up - or any other cheap-o shelter like it - would rot with rust in one season in a salty environment like the beach.  There you go spending another $89 every year...

Careful set-up is key to long shelter life, no matter what brand it is.  You really need 4 people to set up the cheap ones without torquing the frame.  That's where the majority of the wear happens - when someone tries to set it up alone or with one other person, the frame gets twisted a little bit here, a little bit there, and before you know it the cheap frame breaks.  So I continue to buy cheap-o First Up shelters but I've gotten a  lot more careful about how I set them up.  Keeping the legs straight and the frame square during set up will save you lots of trips to Wally World over the years.  Hippie is a pro and he can set up a shelter alone, blindfolded, and with one arm tied behind his back.  But setting up and striking your EZ-Up or EZ-Up imitation alone is perhaps something you should not try at home...  Thumbs Up

IP address Logged

Copyright 2009, a production of Camp Totally Lit - All rights reserved

"There's always a Clapper."
zack_adcock
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 01:12:00 PM »

I still haven't come up with a good solution for this.

I went for the EZ-Up and it got picked up by a windstorm and destroyed within a month of having it; it was nice a sturdy, of course, but that whole experience was frustrating and that thing was not light at all.

I am considering buying another EZ-Up, but they're not cheap; I saw this and wondered if y'all could chime in about perceived effectiveness of it at the fest? This will be our first year with our daughter, who will be about 20 months at that point, and we want to be sure we can shade her from the sun during the day.

http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Noahs-Tarp-Shelter-Foot/dp/B004HPZBBC/ref=sr_1_6?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1357934787&sr=1-6&keywords=kelty+sunshade

I know people have had complaints about the other Kelty shelters due to heat trapping, but this perhaps would not have that problem? Thoughts?
IP address Logged
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 03:30:09 PM »

Uh, yeah... ZacK, I'm not seeing a whole lotta shade outta that thing.

Are you sure?   huh

Auntie Hope  :festivarian2  :green
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
TellurideTom
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 426

URL icon « Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 03:32:17 PM »

I still haven't come up with a good solution for this.

I went for the EZ-Up and it got picked up by a windstorm and destroyed within a month of having it; it was nice a sturdy, of course, but that whole experience was frustrating and that thing was not light at all.

I am considering buying another EZ-Up, but they're not cheap; I saw this and wondered if y'all could chime in about perceived effectiveness of it at the fest? This will be our first year with our daughter, who will be about 20 months at that point, and we want to be sure we can shade her from the sun during the day.

http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Noahs-Tarp-Shelter-Foot/dp/B004HPZBBC/ref=sr_1_6?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1357934787&sr=1-6&keywords=kelty+sunshade

I know people have had complaints about the other Kelty shelters due to heat trapping, but this perhaps would not have that problem? Thoughts?
My first comment would be those tie down lines could be a hazard to walk into or trip over.
From what I've seen all the EZ-ups don't have any venting at the top so they act like a kite, whereas the cheaper First-ups have a vent flap in the top.
I'd suggest something that doesn't have long tie-lines that can be tripped over. Flower
IP address Logged

Happy Trails....Wave

You can check out my Domain site or follow me on Facebook
zack_adcock
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 07:19:26 PM »

Are you sure?   huh

Just out of curiosity, why not? I'm not thinking through all of the issues apparently, but it's 16'x16'. Why wouldn't that provide shade?

I hear Tom's concern about the tripping, though, and had not thought of that.

Now Playing icon Listening to: 
IP address Logged
Auntie Hope
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 08:59:11 AM »

Are you sure?   huh

Just out of curiosity, why not? I'm not thinking through all of the issues apparently, but it's 16'x16'. Why wouldn't that provide shade?

Oh Dear,  EEK! I didn't catch the SIZE of that thing.  LOL LOL LOL
I guess shade would certainly be in order.

I did see something of the like in camp last year, but not on the field.  Thumbs Up
IP address Logged

InFleckIt! at Hippo Campus
BillyBeru
!!!!BACON!!!!

Festivation rating 420

"Good evening, music lovers!"

URL icon « Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 12:10:20 PM »

16'x16' - holy schnikes... Man, you going to have a small army under that?

I don't hang out back there but periodically stumble through that area and can't recall seeing anything near that big -  that's 256 square feet! Seems way too big for inside the festival grounds. I realize there are no explicit guidelines for sunshades but that one doesn't pass the common sense check in my opinion.
IP address Logged

"How many of you have been at the festival all four days?"
zack_adcock
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 421

URL icon « Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 02:14:04 PM »

They have a 12x12 one also, which is more manageable I suppose ... aren't most of the Ez-Ups 10x10?

I wish I could see one up to decide it was totally ridiculous and/or dangerous re: the tie lines. Ah well. Such is the world we live in, where we can know products exist we never would have without the internet.
IP address Logged
HuckinFappy
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

Jammin w' Jaco

URL icon « Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 03:27:44 PM »

http://www.hutshop.com/9391b151.html

If you can find one...they may have stopped making them Frown

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 03:53:12 PM by HuckinFappy » IP address Logged
AnythingAtAll
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 09:00:22 PM »

http://www.hutshop.com/9391b151.html

If you can find one...they may have stopped making them Frown

Personally, I do like the GeoSports and have picked up a spare as a backup from CL for $50.

Not sure it would be beach worthy, tho.

Pluses: good coverage, sheds wind when tied down properly.  Stayed in place w/ high winds on Warner in '10 until someone else's shade broke loose and smashed into mine.  Parts were still available then and I like it enough to have replaced parts and patched the canopy. Kept us (mostly) dry in damn cold rain Sunday '11. It sways and rolls in the wind, but it's difficult to break or bend.

Minuses: putting it together is like assembling an erector set. After a few times, you know it and can streamline it, but initially, it's not intuitive- you can end up w/ unintended shapes. Unless there is no wind, you have to tie it down, fortunately, this can be done by attaching to canopy-to-frame connectors and the tie lines can follow the legs. Pentagon shape doesn't play well when trying to connect it to others.
IP address Logged
Lachlan
Kinda digging this festival thing...

Festivation rating 44

URL icon « Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 11:58:54 AM »

Are you sure?   huh

Seriously?  First off, finding enough space to put something that big can be a little difficult.  Secondly, finding enough space to stake out guylines to keep the poles upright just isn't going to happen.  That thing is a disaster waiting to be abandoned.  You're going to end up hating yourself for even considering it if you actually go that route.  Trust the people who are gently telling you that it's a bad idea, or just listen to me and don't do it!  Go with something like the GeoSport or some version of an EZ-Up, vented or not.  Hope this helps.
IP address Logged
Pages: [1] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC