Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 03:47:15 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Telluride Bluegrass Festival (Moderators: TellurideTom, BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  What are your best TBF memories?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 44 Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: What are your best TBF memories?  (Read 631342 times)
Maineahhh
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

Bluegrass makes me happy.

URL icon « Reply #105 on: May 12, 2007, 05:16:51 PM »

Thank you, thank you, thank you! (for the schedule  . . .  Wink)

IP address Logged

"A lot of the artists collaborate with one another on stage throughout the festival, leaving fans and musicians alike in awe. A bunch of us are old friends, and when we get here we want to band together... Anything goes here, people are ready for any kind of music." Sammy B on TBF
Daniela
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 140

"Dainty Flower"

URL icon « Reply #106 on: May 13, 2007, 06:17:53 AM »

BTW, I've gotten into the habit of making pocket schedules to give out each year. If you like to download a PDF of the file I start with, to make some yourself, here it is:

XOX,
John

So YOU are the one who gave us those little schedules last year!!   Medal I printed a bunch out for my tarp buddies and me so we always knew who was next up.  Extremely handy things to have around.  The only problem was that the more we drank, the harder it was to find these little guys because they never ended up in the same pocket twice.   Drunk This year I'm going to try either big buttons or neck lanyards.  We'll already have butttons with our names on them, so if we forget everything else, at least we know who we are and who is up next.   LOL LOL LOL LOL

Thanks, John!!  Welcome to the forum!!  Flower
IP address Logged

Can we leave RIGHT NOW??
Hooch
...is kind of a big deal

Festivation rating 420

Freak Of The Rainbow Pork Lover

URL icon « Reply #107 on: May 13, 2007, 08:18:24 AM »

BTW, I've gotten into the habit of making pocket schedules to give out each year. If you like to download a PDF of the file I start with, to make some yourself, here it is:

XOX,
John

So YOU are the one who gave us those little schedules last year!!   Medal I printed a bunch out for my tarp buddies and me so we always knew who was next up.  Extremely handy things to have around.  The only problem was that the more we drank, the harder it was to find these little guys because they never ended up in the same pocket twice.   Drunk This year I'm going to try either big buttons or neck lanyards.  We'll already have butttons with our names on them, so if we forget everything else, at least we know who we are and who is up next.   LOL LOL LOL LOL

Thanks, John!!  Welcome to the forum!!  Flower

Yeah!  Those things were great at Rockygrass!  Thanks so much!
IP address Logged

"There is nothing in the universe more exciting than a piece of bacon."

-Dan Phillips
jiclark
Wondering when Small Member status will be achieved.

Festivation rating 20

…the guy with the straw hat, the camera & the grin

URL icon « Reply #108 on: May 13, 2007, 10:41:43 AM »

Thanks for the kind words all!

Though Daniella, it couldn't have been me that gave you the schedule last year, as it was the first one I've missed in about 15 years! I was at Rockygrass for the first time though, so it might have been me that Hooch is remembering... I surely can't remember, because my memory is about shot!

Glad to have finally stumbled onto this place!

Later,
John

Now Playing icon Listening to: When It's Gone It's Gone - Bruce Cockburn
IP address Logged
Daniela
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 140

"Dainty Flower"

URL icon « Reply #109 on: May 13, 2007, 10:52:15 AM »

Thanks for the kind words all!

Though Daniella, it couldn't have been me that gave you the schedule last year, as it was the first one I've missed in about 15 years! I was at Rockygrass for the first time though, so it might have been me that Hooch is remembering... I surely can't remember, because my memory is about shot!

Glad to have finally stumbled onto this place!

Later,
John

You know, I do believe it was Rockygrass and not Telluride.  But we start partying in Telluride and don't stop till Rockgrass is over, so my memory might be a little blurry...   Drunk Drunk Drunk Drunk Drunk Drunk Drunk
IP address Logged

Can we leave RIGHT NOW??
scouter
Kinda digging this festival thing...

Festivation rating 20

URL icon « Reply #110 on: May 14, 2007, 09:32:38 AM »

John!! thanks for the handy schedule....I like to save my programs, maybe this year my program will make it without all the stains on it due to your pocket version.  Thumbs Up
IP address Logged

Sex is kinda like air...you don't think it's a big deal until you aren't getting any....
completejohn
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

Let the fest begin!

URL icon « Reply #111 on: May 14, 2007, 06:12:41 PM »

My best FESTIVARIAN moments:

1.  2005.  I got to Town Park late Wednesday afternoon.  Of COURSE it's hard to find a spot to camp, especially cuz there's another 3 tents of people from Albuquerque arriving at the same time and we're hoping to camp SOMEWHAT close to each other.  Ah - What's that?  A beautiful, open area, right on the river!?!?  It's flat, dry and though hard to get to, we set up - 4 tents in a row, soon joined by 5 others. 

I set up my little tent, grab my guitar and open my first beer of the fest.  That's when some guy comes walking through our riverside subdivision and says, "Ya gotta leave!  No camping here along the river!  Get out immediately!"  What?!?  Why?  "It's too close to the river."  Couldn't you have roped the area off?  "Well, I thought we did, but it doesn't matter, ya gotta leave."

Great.  I'm COMPLETELY set up and now it's dark, and we have to leave.  And to go where?  We'd looked around hours before and saw no land available for a tent, let alone 4!

So I slam my been and grab another and head out into the darkness.  Surrounded by happy people and lots of live music, I'm totally bummed.

But wait!  Here's a spot.  Oh, crap.  A tarp.  In fact 4 tarps.  Crap.  "Hey, does anybody know anything about these tarps?" I say to nobody in particular.  "Ask at that tent over there - the big one with all the musicians!"  10-4, Elenore!  I'll give it a shot.  As I'm walking in, a guy comes walking out of the big tent with an empty beer, heading to the cooler.  I tell him the 30-second version of getting thrown out of the River Bank Condo-minimums.  He's like "Dood, that sucks.  Wait here." 

I took another slug of the homebrew and prayed. 

Prayer answered.  "I checked and (as he picks up a tarp) this guy ain't coming, and (he picks up another) these people are camping with someone else, and (another)  nobody's heard from these folks. so have at it!"

Wow.  I ended up setting up my tent that night;  the others followed in the morning with their tents that had gotten wet from the suddenly wet river bank.  But it mattered not - we River Refugees had a home!

Thank you, Fish Bone!  You helped out your fellow Festivarians when they needed it the most.  And as a bonus, we loved making music at night with you!

2.  I'll make this shorter, though the generosity is certainly equal to what happened in 2005.  It was last year.  My job keeps me bound an gagged in albuquerque until the very last second, but I do make it to Town Park by 6:30pm on Wednesday.  This time it's just me by my lonesome.  Wednesday is a bad day to try to find land, but that work thing sure gets in the way. 

So here I am again, looking and looking.  Nothing that's not covered by tarps.  Depression is setting it.  Oh wait, maybe I could use a LITTLE of this area along a huge log that[s only partially covered by a tarp.  But nobody's around to ask. 

Then a couple start moving my way.  "Can I..."  "You bet!  Here, let me move this tarp for ya.  Do ya need some help?"  Wow, another samaritan!  "Thanks, but I think I'll be OK."  But I had not thought about the fact that I now had a new tent to deal with and the sun is going down fast.

So I back the car up and start emptying the tent supplies onto the ground.  Hey, wait.  This thing is HUGE!  Turns out I've got an 8-man tent and only the sunlight to set up a 4 man.  But Mr. Samaritan sees the dilemna and jions in the fun.  "This isn't a tent," he laughs.  "It's the damn Astrodome!" 

But it sets up just in the nick of light.  And then it turns out that we're both from Albuquerque!  So I get to meet 2 of the greatest people at T-Ride, Ron & Deb.  Of course I tried to stay away from their tent as much as possible.  Afterall, ya don't wanna get too close to any couple's tent when their celebrating their wedding anniversary!

2 stories about great Festivarians.  Yes, the music is always wonderful, but it's the people who come to the Fest that make it a great experience!!!

Now Playing icon Listening to: New CD from Susan Clark (Albq singer-songwriter
IP address Logged

There are only THREE things in life...and I forget what they are!
- John Hiatt
Maineahhh
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

Bluegrass makes me happy.

URL icon « Reply #112 on: May 18, 2007, 09:02:58 AM »

what a post! it's hard to get even more excited than I already am, but you managed to do it!
IP address Logged

"A lot of the artists collaborate with one another on stage throughout the festival, leaving fans and musicians alike in awe. A bunch of us are old friends, and when we get here we want to band together... Anything goes here, people are ready for any kind of music." Sammy B on TBF
connielv
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

Denvers finest playing guess my weight

URL icon « Reply #113 on: May 23, 2007, 10:40:35 PM »

I brought a beautiful friend of mine to fest one year as she was going through a really nasty divorce. We were hangin in camp and I had just put a wonderful grass fed top sirloin roast (about 7 pounds) on to cook.Theresa was giving massage,  Gillian Welch was on stage, and the weather was amazing. She got about three notes into White Rabbit when I realized what was going on, my beautiful companion brought me a chair and a bottle of wine. I sat down on the fence line and listened to Alice when she was ten feet tall.

My life has not been the same since that day.

Cheers

Funny, but one of my fave moments was that same evening!!!!  Having enjoyed some very fine chocolates Shhh with a couple of very close friends (you know who you are!!!)  Just as the effects of the chocolates Butterfly started Gillian went into "White Rabbit" how awesome a cover she did.....amazing!     After the show ended we walked through town laughing and laughing and singing "I will stumble for you!" and then..... the moon was on our left, and then it was gone and i said "no, it's up ahead 2 blocks on the left" and behold!  Two blocks further, there it was!!!  Full and beautiful as ever!  This was followed by a gondola ride to the top with clear, bright skies and one of the most AMAZING views I have ever seen of that box canyon!   Wow!!!!    Can we go NOW Driving?!?!?!?!???

Now Playing icon Listening to: my wednesday nite reggae DJ :)
IP address Logged

I'm faster than a greased monkey strapped to a bullet train.......-Carl Edwards (99)
Ron N Deb
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #114 on: May 23, 2007, 11:58:49 PM »

I brought a beautiful friend of mine to fest one year as she was going through a really nasty divorce. We were hangin in camp and I had just put a wonderful grass fed top sirloin roast (about 7 pounds) on to cook.Theresa was giving massage,  Gillian Welch was on stage, and the weather was amazing. She got about three notes into White Rabbit when I realized what was going on, my beautiful companion brought me a chair and a bottle of wine. I sat down on the fence line and listened to Alice when she was ten feet tall.

My life has not been the same since that day.

Cheers

Funny, but one of my fave moments was that same evening!!!!  Having enjoyed some very fine chocolates Shhh with a couple of very close friends (you know who you are!!!)  Just as the effects of the chocolates Butterfly started Gillian went into "White Rabbit" how awesome a cover she did.....amazing!     After the show ended we walked through town laughing and laughing and singing "I will stumble for you!" and then..... the moon was on our left, and then it was gone and i said "no, it's up ahead 2 blocks on the left" and behold!  Two blocks further, there it was!!!  Full and beautiful as ever!  This was followed by a gondola ride to the top with clear, bright skies and one of the most AMAZING views I have ever seen of that box canyon!   Wow!!!!    Can we go NOW Driving?!?!?!?!???

Now Playing icon Listening to: OMG the same evening Sitting at home ...had to sit out , had Koto online cranked , during the intro told Deb Omg she is going into White Rabbit
IP address Logged

Peace N Love
Ron N Deb
TellurideTom
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 426

URL icon « Reply #115 on: May 24, 2007, 12:00:46 AM »

That will teach you to take a year off from Telluride! Cheers
IP address Logged

Happy Trails....Wave

You can check out my Domain site or follow me on Facebook
Sam
Small Member

Festivation rating 120

URL icon « Reply #116 on: May 24, 2007, 05:01:52 AM »

I dont have any TBF memories yet as I am TBF virgin.

But one thing is for sure, its becoming more and more evident that the music isn't the only reason I have to be excited!

I cant wait damn it...

Sam  Thumbs Up

Now Playing icon Listening to: Dan Tyminski - Carry me accross the mountain
IP address Logged
ilovethelorax
Forumvarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #117 on: May 24, 2007, 12:15:08 PM »

Just reading mention of Slade in Mike's post made me think of that awesome moment when Tim sat on the memorial bench dedicated to Charles memory and sang a tribute to him. He'll be sorely missed indeed. pickin

Now Playing icon Listening to: Rancho Deville
IP address Logged

I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music. It seems to infuse strength into my limbs and ideas into my brain. Life seems to go on without effort, when I am filled with music.

George Eliot (1819-1880)
Debbiefromtucson
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #118 on: May 24, 2007, 01:42:53 PM »

Oh another great memory!!! Last year's Sunday Night Walkabout..... That was a hoot especially when we helped that guy move in.... I think this needs to be an "official" event this year... Actually, we should make it a "progressive walkabout" , like a progressive drinking party..

Not to be negative, but last year the noise Sunday night was horrible. Most of us are working people who need get going back to life by Tuesday. The lack of sleep (and was the only night I couldn't sleep, music I sleep through, polite conversation I sleep through, drunks tripping and pissing on my friend's tent is another story).  Please don't do that again! My backpack was stolen during that time as well.  That wasn't a hoot, it was childish behavior.

If you are going to do that again let me know, I'll pack up Sunday.

I posted what you quoted... I'm sorry you ahd a bad night BUT I wasnt talking about the last Sunday.. It was the Sunday before we had the walkabout!
IP address Logged

Debbie from Tucson
scouter
Kinda digging this festival thing...

Festivation rating 20

URL icon « Reply #119 on: May 25, 2007, 12:40:23 PM »

how do you choose just one...but this is when I think I really fell in love with Telluride. After the show one night we all went to the Buck to top off the night and one thing let to another and next thing you know the bar is closing. Not sure what time it was but the last gondola had already left for Mtn village. So the lovely gentlemen we were hanging with said we could stay with them.  Shhh How nice....except they were in town park and we obviously didn't have wrist bands. They said not to worry it was sunday night and nobody would care. Of course the liquid courage helped out a lot here. So to make a long story short, in the haste of leaving the bar and heading to town park, I forgot my chair and backpack etc outside the bar. So the next day on the way out of town I said lets drive by to see if its still there.....sure enough...there was my stuff along with some other wayward persons  belongings!! I couldn't believe it! I jumped out of the car and grabbed it. My friends have a pic of me running with all the stuff across Colorado Ave! I got into the car and said "man I love this town!"  Flower Flower
IP address Logged

Sex is kinda like air...you don't think it's a big deal until you aren't getting any....
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 44 Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC