Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 04:14:46 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: This is the "archived" version of the old Festivarian Forum.  To create new posts, visit Festivarian.com

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  The Shed
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Mandolin (Moderator: BluegrassNat)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Songs that "stand on their own well" solo
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Songs that "stand on their own well" solo  (Read 9556 times)
Pen
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « on: July 21, 2009, 11:02:20 AM »

What songs do you play that sound great solo?  I know plenty of fiddle tunes - but they always seem "empty" to my ear when played. 

The mando is a remarkable supporting instrument, but when it comes to songs that sound full by themselves - I'm having a hard time finding them.

One I found on youtube was this guys original called mandolin moan.  Another I know that sounds great solo is Thile/Marshall "What a Blast".  Other than that - I'm at a loss.

Thoughts?
IP address Logged

"How many of you folks have seen that movie "O Brother, Where Ya At?"--Ralph Stanley
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

3 chord's and a story that's me

URL icon « Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 08:50:07 AM »

Wave Pickin a solo like Soldiers Joy leaves me feelin sad.... sounds sad and empty.
Than I heard someone pick it lightnin fast and it had this real joyful feel....

For me chords sound fuller on the Mandolin and I am discovering that I will be happy to add chords and vocals but leave the solos to someone else.

I can see you are far more accomplished than I on the Mandolin Pen. I think 2 and 3 finger chords do have their place in there somewhere LOL
IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
Pen
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 11:11:53 AM »

lol - seems like the more i learn about mando - the less I know.  thanks for the complement, but i'm really not that great.

wanna do soldiers joy next?  i think i used to know that one.  it's not that hard as i remember.  i bet you'd get it with a few hours of practice.  and don't worry about the speed.  that will come through repetition.
IP address Logged

"How many of you folks have seen that movie "O Brother, Where Ya At?"--Ralph Stanley
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

3 chord's and a story that's me

URL icon « Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 07:08:44 PM »

lol - seems like the more i learn about mando - the less I know.  thanks for the complement, but i'm really not that great.

wanna do soldiers joy next?  i think i used to know that one.  it's not that hard as i remember.  i bet you'd get it with a few hours of practice.  and don't worry about the speed.  that will come through repetition.
Ok a pickin tune Soldiers Joy it is. I need lots of work here. Smooth and steady,,, I'll start workin on it Thumbs Up
IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
Pages: [1] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC